• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list question

Debra Garcia

The Garcias
Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk with my husband June 2018
My husband and I are thrilled to be setting out on the Camino Frances on May 27. Any suggestions for a small lightweight bag to pack our poles and knife and shampoo in check baggage during our flight and then could double as a lightweight extra little bag/sack to carry around town in the evenings when we do not want to carry our main backpacks? Also what is the best way to secure our backpacks in the evenings if we are exploring etc? Are they safe to leave at the alburques?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used an airline car seat bag that i bought on Amazon for around $16.00. I used it to check my pack and poles in for flight to Madrid. It packs down to the size of a pair of socks. I even carried it for entire Camino to use for return flight. Weight was a few ounces. This would be way to big for a shopping bag for evenings, but would be great for checking your poles. If there was, and maybe there is, a smaller version it would be great.

My husband and I are thrilled to be setting out on the Camino Frances on May 27. Any suggestions for a small lightweight bag to pack our poles and knife and shampoo in check baggage during our flight and then could double as a lightweight extra little bag/sack to carry around town in the evenings when we do not want to carry our main backpacks? Also what is the best way to secure our backpacks in the evenings if we are exploring etc? Are they safe to leave at the alburques?
Do you sew? I made a carrier for our poles and small items to check. It folded neatly into the bottom of my pack. We flew Idaho to London, London to Billund Denmark, Oviedo to London and London to Idaho with no problems. If you want my design message me and I’ll give you directions. Liz

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used an airline car seat bag that i bought on Amazon for around $16.00. I used it to check my pack and poles in for flight to Madrid. It packs down to the size of a pair of socks. I even carried it for entire Camino to use for return flight. Weight was a few ounces. This would be way to big for a shopping bag for evenings, but would be great for checking your poles. If there was, and maybe there is, a smaller version it would be great.
Thank

Do you sew? I made a carrier for our poles and small items to check. It folded neatly into the bottom of my pack. We flew Idaho to London, London to Billund Denmark, Oviedo to London and London to Idaho with no problems. If you want my design message me and I’ll give you directions. Liz

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We so sew! Good idea! I could see a little bag to check and have cords on it to use as a daypack shopping bag when we need it.mever thought of just making it myself and could make it out of a fun material

On our Camino in 2016, we used cheap black garbage bags and duct tape. (And carried one each for our trip home which doubled ad a bottom liner for backpack)... wasn’t very pretty (or classy), but it worked!

I would also like your design. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We bubble wrapped our poles and attached them to our carry on with no problem as carry on. Check with the airline and airport security with no problems. I purchased a inexpensive pocket knife in
SJPDP.

I never heard of anyone's backpack being stolen while left unattended at an albergue, but I did hear of several instances of money, credit cards, passports, electronics, etc being stolen out of unattended backpacks left at albergues. The thieves that target pilgrims have specific items (small) they want to take and know every pilgrim has, and said items are easily utilized, spent or sold after the theft.
The packs are pretty much safe unattended. The above mentioned valuables...not so safe. Just always have them with you (even in the shower/toilets) or have someone watch them while you are showering, etc.

If you want something more permanent and probably more useful when you return, there's the Sea to Summit Travelling Light Ultra-Sil Day Pack (20 liter), which is 68 grams (2.4 oz) and unfolds to 46 cm X 26 cm X 21 cm. (18 in X 10 X 8). Packs down into a very tiny stuff sack. A bit pricey -- approx. $30 (US) on Amazon or REI.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We bubble wrapped our poles and attached them to our carry on with no problem as carry on. Check with the airline and airport security with no problems. I purchased a inexpensive pocket knife in
SJPDP.
Unfortunately you cannot count on being able to take walking sticks as carry on baggage. This forum is replete with stories of people who have gotten away with it. But the problem is that the US Transportation Safety Acministration does not approve these for carry on. here is a loink to their site : https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/walking-sticks . If you try to carry them on they may be taken at the security check point. Liz

Unfortunately you cannot count on being able to take walking sticks as carry on baggage. This forum is replete with stories of people who have gotten away with it. But the problem is that the US Transportation Safety Acministration does not approve these for carry on. here is a loink to their site : https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/walking-sticks . If you try to carry them on they may be taken at the security check point. Liz
I understand what you are saying that is why we received pre-approval from TSA. We just returned from a trek in the middle-east. The only place we had problems with them was in Bagdad. Finally they allowed us to board with them all the way back to Seattle.

I've also used the Sea to Sky Sil bag many times over the past years and I agree that it is excellent. I've always put my poles inside my main pack and carried the whole thing on many times without issue in and out of various countries. No problem. Check with your airport security (I also met Americans who have carried on their poles) before you waste a lot of time on this and see if they have any issue. Take your valuables with you at all times in your Sil bag and the rest will be ok beside your bed. After all, who generally wants your smelly gear?;) Have fun planning!:cool:

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Further to Andycohn's comments above, I've carried a Sea to Summit silnylon bag on several long treks. I chose the tote bag rather than the day bag version because, if needed, I could carry it comfortably slung across my front as well wearing my main backpack. I used it for shopping, laundry bag, evening 'wandering about' bag and (almost most frequently) a waterproof seating square for sitting on damp ground during rest breaks and meal stops. I'd strongly recommend one.

I made sure I carried key items with me in a light bag. Passport, money, medication, phone and charger/adapter - pretty much the things you couldn't replace on the Camino - and just left the rest in my main pack in the albergue. Pretty sure no-one would want my manky gear anyway.
One thing though, on the second Camino I took a light cotton bag, and when I took my shoes off at the albergue, I slipped them into the cotton bag. Makes it easy to find your own shoes quickly in the morning, even in the dark, and no-one mistakes them for their own. I did hear of people coming down in the morning to find their shoes gone, but a smaller size of the same shoe left behind. The other pilgrim probably never noticed the looser shoes as they walked away...
That would have ruined my day.

Can you send me the design? Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Our hiking poles fold down quite small. We are using a small suitcase that is ready to be thrown out (or purchasing one from an Op Shop). We will ditch the suitcase in SJPDP. For the return trip we will either find a box in Santiago, or use one of our backpacks (reluctant to use the backpack on the way there, just in case it goes astray)

I sent my pole (I hike with one) home to California from Santiago twice by itself as checked "luggage".
I always take my pack as carry on and the pole is just a little too big to fit inside.
No bag or cover, just an address label clear taped to the pole and the airline luggage tag attached.
It arrived safe and sound both times.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I made sure I carried key items with me in a light bag. Passport, money, medication, phone and charger/adapter - pretty much the things you couldn't replace on the Camino - and just left the rest in my main pack in the albergue. Pretty sure no-one would want my manky gear anyway.
One thing though, on the second Camino I took a light cotton bag, and when I took my shoes off at the albergue, I slipped them into the cotton bag. Makes it easy to find your own shoes quickly in the morning, even in the dark, and no-one mistakes them for their own. I did hear of people coming down in the morning to find their shoes gone, but a smaller size of the same shoe left behind. The other pilgrim probably never noticed the looser shoes as they walked away...
That would have ruined my day.

I was concerned about losing my boots in similar fashion, so I always tied my shoelaces together so if anyone inadvertently picked up my boots they would at least have to untangle them and wonder 'why are my boots tied up like this/who would do this/are these my boots?'.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.