• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list review - Camino del Norte/Primitivo in June

NathanNL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte / Primitivo
In a week, I will start my (first) camino del Norte and then continue on the Camino Primitivo. While I'm still refining my packing list, I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

Backpack
BrandTypeWeightQuantity
OspreyStratos 341359 g1
OspreyHydraulics 3L reservoir308 g1
1703 g

Moneybelt

BrandTypeWeightQuantity
NathanMirage compact running belt70 g1
SecridCard protector48 g1
AppleiPhone 13 mini140 g1
258 g

Sleep system

BrandTypeWeightQuantity
CocoonTravelsheet silk160 g1
NemoFillo elite pillow80 g1
240 g

Clothing

BrandTypeWeightQuantity
IcebreakerSpere II t-shirt150 g3
PatagoniaCapilene midweight zip-neck204 g1
PatagoniaHoudini windbreaker jacket105 g1
CraftCore dry 3 inch boxer80 g3
Sjeng SportsSet short140 g2
The North FaceLightning pants regular411 g1
InjiniOutdoor mini crew merino toesocks59 g3
Inov-8Roclite G275 trailrunners275 g1
Inov-8Boomerang footbed sole 19 g1
TevaOrigninal universal sandals184 g1
BuffLightweight merino wool48 g1
CieleAthletics ALZ Cap54 g 1
SnugpakEnhanced patrol poncho360 g1
Sunglasses20 g1
2827 g

Electronics

BrandTypeWeightQuantity
AppleAirPods pro56 g1
AppleCharging plug and cable55 g1
Black diamondAstro 300-R headlamp75 g1
186 g

Misc (work in progress)
BrandTypeWeightQuantity
Sea to summitAirlite quickdry towel (L)
Sea to summitPocket handwash soap
DeuterWas bag tour II
WandelwolHikerswool
Révvi Kinesiology tape
Toothbrush
Tonguescraper
Toothpicks
Toothpaste
Sunblock
Soap
Day-/nightcream
Comb
Hairwax
Deodorant
Ziplock bags
Drybags
Earplugs
Sleeping mask

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In a week, I will start my (first) camino del Norte and then continue on the Camino Primitivo. While I'm still refining my packing list, I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

Backpack
BrandTypeWeightQuantity
OspreyStratos 341359 g1
OspreyHydraulics 3L reservoir308 g1
1703 g

Moneybelt

BrandTypeWeightQuantity
NathanMirage compact running belt70 g1
SecridCard protector48 g1
AppleiPhone 13 mini140 g1
258 g

Sleep system

BrandTypeWeightQuantity
CocoonTravelsheet silk160 g1
NemoFillo elite pillow80 g1
240 g

Clothing

BrandTypeWeightQuantity
IcebreakerSpere II t-shirt150 g3
PatagoniaCapilene midweight zip-neck204 g1
PatagoniaHoudini windbreaker jacket105 g1
CraftCore dry 3 inch boxer80 g3
Sjeng SportsSet short140 g2
The North FaceLightning pants regular411 g1
InjiniOutdoor mini crew merino toesocks59 g3
Inov-8Roclite G275 trailrunners275 g1
Inov-8Boomerang footbed sole 19 g1
TevaOrigninal universal sandals184 g1
BuffLightweight merino wool48 g1
CieleAthletics ALZ Cap54 g 1
SnugpakEnhanced patrol poncho360 g1
Sunglasses20 g1
2827 g

Electronics

BrandTypeWeightQuantity
AppleAirPods pro56 g1
AppleCharging plug and cable55 g1
Black diamondAstro 300-R headlamp75 g1
186 g

Misc (work in progress)
BrandTypeWeightQuantity
Sea to summitAirlite quickdry towel (L)
Sea to summitPocket handwash soap
DeuterWas bag tour II
WandelwolHikerswool
Révvi Kinesiology tape
Toothbrush
Tonguescraper
Toothpicks
Toothpaste
Sunblock
Soap
Day-/nightcream
Comb
Hairwax
Deodorant
Ziplock bags
Drybags
Earplugs
Sleeping mask
Looks like you’re covered. I started laying things out on a bench, which has helped me to sort things out. As an example, the old Boy Scout compass stays home, but the Leatherman Micro is coming along. Listening to various podcasts has guided me to pick up things at local stores as the need arises

Your own water bottle with a filter, for places not drinkable.. I'll bring mine in metal, big opening for cleaning.. and a small nail clipper for toenails.. ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks like you’re covered. I started laying things out on a bench, which has helped me to sort things out. As an example, the old Boy Scout compass stays home, but the Leatherman Micro is coming along. Listening to various podcasts has guided me to pick up things at local stores as the need arises
From the TSA site:
Can I bring a multitool on a plane?

In general, you are prohibited from traveling with sharp objects in your carry-on bags. Multi-tools (multipurpose tools) with knives of any length are prohibited. Please pack these items in your checked bags. Multi-tools (multipurpose tools) with scissors less than 4 inches may be placed in carry-on bags.

From the TSA site:
Can I bring a multitool on a plane?

In general, you are prohibited from traveling with sharp objects in your carry-on bags. Multi-tools (multipurpose tools) with knives of any length are prohibited. Please pack these items in your checked bags. Multi-tools (multipurpose tools) with scissors less than 4 inches may be placed in carry-on bags.
It’s the small one thank goodness. Has a scissor, blade and screwdriver.

Great start! Just finished the Primitivo and did the Norte a few years ago. You don't need a pillow. You'll only need one pair of shorts. Definitely bring nail clippers.

Recommend picking up hiking poles and a small knife (for picnics) when you arrive.

Put all your toiletries into smaller containers. You'll save space and weight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, you will appreciate one or two trekking poles for descents on both Caminos. And you need a small knife (I like the French Inox Opinal, less than 10 euro in any ferreteria) to cut queso y chorizo). Buen Camino

Everything is available somewhere along the way ... and fun to find. Spain is not a 3rd world country, and supplies some of the finest outdoor equipment you can find. I like to purchase what I need locally, after all, the locals make the caminos possible ... Buen Camino.

This list looks great. The one thing I’d think about carefully is how much water you bring with you. A 3L reservoir sounds like a lot to me, but then again my experience has been that I “fill up” at water fountains, stations, bars and the like if and when I need to. I never had a problem on the Portugués Central with a 1L water bottle. 👣

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Carry less water so you can also drink electrolytes. In Spain Kas and Aquarius are electrolytes available in different flavors in cans and (ugh) plastic bottles. Available cold in bars and supermercados. Buen Camino

It’s the small one thank goodness. Has a scissor, blade and screwdriver.
What I'm seeing at the TSA site is that any multipurpose tool with any kind of blade is prohibited in carry on. Years ago I tried taking my very small Victorinox multitool with a 1-1/4" blade through TSA. They would not allow it. Any multipurpose tool without a blade is permitted if the scissors is less than 4". I have posted a query on carry on items to the TSA Twitter account and received a response within a few hours. @AskTSA Multipurpose tools with blades are allowed in checked luggage.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all then enter "multitool" in the search box

The one thing I’d think about carefully is how much water you bring with you. A 3L reservoir sounds like a lot to me
There's no requirement to fill it. I carry a 2 liter bladder, and normally carry about a liter. But if it looks like I won't have many opportunities to buy more beverages or refill that day I'll add more water.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your list looks pretty good. Here are my notes:

Reservoir - 2L is usually more than sufficient. Of course - you don't have to fill it all the way.

Things you can leave behind - pillow (all albergues have pillows), 1 t-shirt (or switch one for a long sleeve), 1 pair of shorts, toothpicks, day/night cream, sleep mask (use buff), and I use an all-in-one shampoo bar for hair/body/laundry.

Things to add - HAT! (Or did I miss it?)

Things others have mentioned: Hiking poles (totally optional - I will skip on the Via Francigena this summer), Knife (totally optional - I never bring one). Someone mentioned water bottle/filter - I would bring the reservoir OR a water bottle, not both. And filter really isn't needed. Just fill your reservoir at your albergue and in a bar if you need to refill. I do find a water bottle is more convenient on a Camino myself. I buy a hose attachment for my water bottle. Nail clippers - good to have.

But I worry about what to leave behind - more than what I forgot. You can buy most things you forgot in Spain. But if your pack is too heavy - you have to either donate items, pay to mail them home, or simply carry the extra weight. I would rather thin out my pack at home.

Thank you very much for your replies. Really helpful! This weekend I will update my packing list.

You really don’t need a head torch at this time of year. I’d swap it for the smallest power bank you can find - allows you to charge your phone on the move and never leave it unattended.

Also -get the earplugs out of the work-in-progress list and straight to the top of the list. A few pairs.

Finally (you’re male?) - IMHO you’re running heavy on grooming supplies. According to Mrs HtD I look like a vagrant on Camino, so I’m not setting a good example.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I see it's already on your list but I would suggest using CureTape kinesiology tape! I got it here in Australia but as far as I know it's a Dutch brand. It lasts for a very long time and it's sweat and water resistant! Also great for blister etc since it won't budge.

I carry some extra Engo patches. The most important of these little blue slippery patches are already inside my boots wherever my foot might rub. Great blister prevention. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back