• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List--suggestions please!

Ariel Mallett

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hello all!

I will be leaving for my pilgrimage (on el Camino del Norte) on March 29th and am in the process of finalizing my packing list. The items at the bottom of the list are things I am unsure that I will take. I am currently deciding between two backpacks that I have, a talon 33L from Osprey or a J 63L from Gregory. Both packs are comfortable but the 33L barely fits all of my items, even when my packing list is at a minimum (i.e. without the questionable items) and I think I'll need extra room for food and trinkets I pick up along the way. I am also questioning weather or not I will need my down jacket--I get cold easily and the low of 40deg and rain sounds miserable. I am lucky to have really high quality gear because I used to work at an outdoor store and was able to buy nice things for my pilgrimage, but the film camera and 15 rolls of film that I am taking in place of a digital camera is taking up a lot of space and weight. Also, I am unsure if I should take a dress for lounging at night or enjoying the occasional dinner and glass of wine or looking nicer while going to a church service. I will also be traveling through Madrid, Sevilla and Barcelona on either end of my walk for about a week, so I am considering casual-use/multi-use clothes in packing.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sunscreen
Rain cover
Moleskin/mini first aid
Cliff bars
headlamp/ear plugs/string/multitool/spork/carabiner/clothes line/lighter/carabiner/ travel pillow
Tall Nalgene/Osprey H20 bladder
Summerlight sleeping bag
Green fleece
Rab Shell/Zeta AR rain pants
3 wool t-shirts (green/pink/blue stripe)/2 tank
Patagonia sun shirt
Arcteryx pants/Adidas pants
Wool long underwear (pant and top)
Wool skirt
3 Wool socks, 5 undies, 2 sports bra/1 reg, buff
Lowa Renegades/flip flops
Stopwatch/phone and charger
film camera and case /14 rolls of film and 2 batteries
Mini sewing kit (needle/thread in film canister)
Journal/pens/moleskin/Rumi poetry
maps/guides/book
Spanish pocket dictionary
harmonica/colombia side bag
meds & glasses/cloth
wallet/passport/credit & debit cards (copies)
toothpaste/brush, dr.bronners soap, face wash, mini lotion,
tampons, baby wipes, zip lock baggies
hairties/clips/brush, tweezers, nail clippers
mascara/blush/lipstick/mini perfume
red necklace/1 earring
dalai lama pic, seeds, prayer beads, mini prayer flags

Talon 33L OR J63??
Ghost whisperer down jacket? Weighes 8oz and takes up 6 inches of space--but is it really necessary?
Wrap Dress?
Adidas sport top? (second long sleeve quarter zip top)
Sun hat?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My opinion only:

Cliff bars - leave them home
Leave the multitool home
3 wool t-shirts - you only need 2 short sleeved shirts
Patagonia sun shirt - choose between this and sunscreen
Wool skirt - choose between this and one pair of pants
3 Wool socks, 5 undies, 2 sports bra/1 reg, buff - take 2 socks, 3 undies, 1 bra to wear and 1 to wash
Lowa Renegades/flip flops - if you're used to wearing boots and they're well broken in, fine, otherwise, I'd switch to lightweight trail runners
Stopwatch/phone and charger - why do you need a stopwatch???
film camera and case /14 rolls of film and 2 batteries - Really? You can buy film on the Camino in every city
Journal/pens/moleskin/Rumi poetry - Choose ONE journel/moleskin and leave the Rumi home. Talk to other pilgrims instead.
maps/guides/book - take one guidebook only
Spanish pocket dictionary - if you have an iPhone, get a dictionary app instead
harmonica/colombia side bag - Unless this bag fits around your waist, I'd leave it home
wallet/passport/credit & debit cards (copies) - I don't see a money belt here which I consider to be necessary
tampons, baby wipes, zip lock baggies - take travel sizes of each - readily available on the Camino
hairties/clips/brush, tweezers, nail clippers - Personally, I'd leave all of this home
mascara/blush/lipstick/mini perfume - Not many people wear makeup on the Camino. I'd leave it home and PLEASE LEAVE THE PERFUME HOME! You will be sharing space with people who have allergies. Please.

My opinion only:

Cliff bars - leave them home
Leave the multitool home
3 wool t-shirts - you only need 2 short sleeved shirts
Patagonia sun shirt - choose between this and sunscreen
Wool skirt - choose between this and one pair of pants
3 Wool socks, 5 undies, 2 sports bra/1 reg, buff - take 2 socks, 3 undies, 1 bra to wear and 1 to wash
Lowa Renegades/flip flops - if you're used to wearing boots and they're well broken in, fine, otherwise, I'd switch to lightweight trail runners
Stopwatch/phone and charger - why do you need a stopwatch???
film camera and case /14 rolls of film and 2 batteries - Really? You can buy film on the Camino in every city
Journal/pens/moleskin/Rumi poetry - Choose ONE journel/moleskin and leave the Rumi home. Talk to other pilgrims instead.
maps/guides/book - take one guidebook only
Spanish pocket dictionary - if you have an iPhone, get a dictionary app instead
harmonica/colombia side bag - Unless this bag fits around your waist, I'd leave it home
wallet/passport/credit & debit cards (copies) - I don't see a money belt here which I consider to be necessary
tampons, baby wipes, zip lock baggies - take travel sizes of each - readily available on the Camino
hairties/clips/brush, tweezers, nail clippers - Personally, I'd leave all of this home
mascara/blush/lipstick/mini perfume - Not many people wear makeup on the Camino. I'd leave it home and PLEASE LEAVE THE PERFUME HOME! You will be sharing space with people who have allergies. Please.

Thank you for your input! My list is written in a little bit of a short hand, the stopwatch is my wrist watch, which I'd like to have for telling time and setting an alarm. I am not taking anything digital with me, the phone I have is old and will have a Spanish sim card in it for emergencies. I also did not know you could buy film on the trail! I'll be walking the Camino del Norte and had heard elsewhere that refill supplies are limited. Also, the guides I have is two sheets of printed paper with a list of albergues and the map is just a map of northern Spain, I'm not taking any books so I'm not sure why that's on there! I do have a money belt, and the side bag folds up really small and is more for my time in other cities to carry water and my camera as I won't want to have my entire pack with me while site seeing. The journal is for recording thoughts, while the moleskin is a mini notebook for writing down albergue address/phone numbers and other necessary notes. The make up and perfume is for being in a city, I will not be wearing it while one the trail but certainty value being able to feel clean and beautiful in other settings. And my boots are well broken in, thanks for the advice!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Patagonia sun shirt
I might be misreading your shorthand, but I can count seven tops in there. You only need three: two for walking in (wash and wear alternate days), and one for the evenings. In bed at night wear the top you will be walking in next day.

Thank you for your input! My list is written in a little bit of a short hand, the stopwatch is my wrist watch, which I'd like to have for telling time and setting an alarm. I am not taking anything digital with me, the phone I have is old and will have a Spanish sim card in it for emergencies. I also did not know you could buy film on the trail! I'll be walking the Camino del Norte and had heard elsewhere that refill supplies are limited. Also, the guides I have is two sheets of printed paper with a list of albergues and the map is just a map of northern Spain, I'm not taking any books so I'm not sure why that's on there! I do have a money belt, and the side bag folds up really small and is more for my time in other cities to carry water and my camera as I won't want to have my entire pack with me while site seeing. The journal is for recording thoughts, while the moleskin is a mini notebook for writing down albergue address/phone numbers and other necessary notes. The make up and perfume is for being in a city, I will not be wearing it while one the trail but certainty value being able to feel clean and beautiful in other settings. And my boots are well broken in, thanks for the advice!

Ariel, I'm not positive about film on the Northern route. I'd ask someone who has walked recently.
I was thinking Camino Frances.

Hi Ariel, I think you are bringing a lot of stuff, but then I aim to keep my backpack under 6 kg. If you are on the Camino and you find that you have too much you don't need, you can send it to Ivar in Santiago and pick it up when you arrive. Exelent service!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello-- thanks for the advice everybody!

I am cutting my list to essentially include the following:

Sleeping bag
Rain gear (pant, jkt, pack cover)
1 fleece
1 t-shirt
1 tank top
1 pant
1 skirt
Long underwear (top and bottom)
Sun shirt
Hiking boots
Flip flops
3 socks, 3 undies, 2 sports bras
Toilitries (toothpaste/brush, dr.bronners, face wash, mini lotion, tampons, baby wipes, zip lock baggies, hairties/clips/brush, tweezers, nail clippers, mascara/blush, meds & glasses/cloth)
Mini First Aid Kit
Misc pouch w/ headlamp/ear plugs/string/multitool/spork/carabiner/clothes line/lighter/travel pillow/mini sewing kit
Watch/old phone and charger
Film camera and case /15 rolls of film and 2 batteries
Journal/pens/mini moleskin/maps
Harmonica/side bag/Spanish pocket dictionary
Money belt w/ wallet/passport/credit & debit cards (copies)

I haven't weighed this but I'm fairly certain its not more than 15 lbs (7kg) and should fit nicely into my Talon 33L with room for food.

Hello all!

I will be leaving for my pilgrimage (on el Camino del Norte) on March 29th and am in the process of finalizing my packing list. The items at the bottom of the list are things I am unsure that I will take. I am currently deciding between two backpacks that I have, a talon 33L from Osprey or a J 63L from Gregory. Both packs are comfortable but the 33L barely fits all of my items, even when my packing list is at a minimum (i.e. without the questionable items) and I think I'll need extra room for food and trinkets I pick up along the way. I am also questioning weather or not I will need my down jacket--I get cold easily and the low of 40deg and rain sounds miserable. I am lucky to have really high quality gear because I used to work at an outdoor store and was able to buy nice things for my pilgrimage, but the film camera and 15 rolls of film that I am taking in place of a digital camera is taking up a lot of space and weight. Also, I am unsure if I should take a dress for lounging at night or enjoying the occasional dinner and glass of wine or looking nicer while going to a church service. I will also be traveling through Madrid, Sevilla and Barcelona on either end of my walk for about a week, so I am considering casual-use/multi-use clothes in packing.

Sunscreen
Rain cover
Moleskin/mini first aid
Cliff bars
headlamp/ear plugs/string/multitool/spork/carabiner/clothes line/lighter/carabiner/ travel pillow
Summerlight sleeping bag
Green fleece
Patagonia sun shirt
Wool skirt
maps/guides/book
meds & glasses/cloth
red necklace/1 earring

Talon 33L OR J63??
Ghost whisperer down jacket? Weighes 8oz and takes up 6 inches of space--but is it really necessary?
Wrap Dress?
Sun hat?
Ariel: I understand your need for "tourist travel clothes" for the week after the camino. I have done the same thing. You can wear these clothes on the plane and package them along with your side bag, extra tops, film, dress, make-up, etc in a small light weight nylon carry-on bag and send them from the post office in the town you depart from to Ivar in Santiago. Or you can make a reservation at a small hotel in Santiago and they will hold the package for your arrival ( email them from home before you leave). This way you can have a lighter pack AND fit in as you visit these great cities after the camino. I take a preprinted label, some brown wrapping paper and Mail tape in my carry on bag ( although I have purchased it at the local Spanish post office in the past). On arrival, I change into my hiking clothes and put everything I don't want in my nylon bag, wrap it, tape the label on and mail it. As I recall, it was not very expensive. You can find the local post office by googling the city name, Spain, correos. You will generally get a google map of the location, address and hours. This takes me no more than 30-45 minutes upon arrival. I have done this from three different towns and never had a problem.

You don't need the down jacket. Just use your fleece and rain jacket and layer your clothes. This is what I did on my January winter camino. Paired with long johns, I was toasty warm most of the time. I also have well worn in Lowa Renegades and I love them...can't part with them even though I have thought about trail runners.

I am leaving in two days for my camino and still find myself worrying about weight. I did my final packing, then unloaded everything and made myself reduce the amount of products (band aids, moleskin, detergent,, etc) and question whether I really needed an item. So far I have dumped about a pound of weight. My husband bought me two Cliff Bars for "emergencies":) I hid them in the pantry...better than trying to get him to understand I am not going to starve! (He recently saw the movie "Wild")
Buen Camino

Hi Ariel, I think you are bringing a lot of stuff, but then I aim to keep my backpack under 6 kg. If you are on the Camino and you find that you have too much you don't need, you can send it to Ivar in Santiago and pick it up when you arrive. Exelent service!
What is Ivar in Santaigo, please? Is it a place to store stuff while on the trail? How do I reach them?
Many thanks,
Laura

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Laura, at the top of this page you will find "services in Santiago by Ivar" and one of his services consists of picking up the box you mail him from the postoffice and keeping it untill you pick it up. He will keep it for 30 days but if you need more time and e-mail him, he'll keep it for longer.
There is als0 an introduction to him somewhere on this site.
The best to you.

Hi Ariel and welcome.

It does look a lot of gear, but you've chopped it down somewhat. Good work.
I'd still take the sun hat though.

You'll be on the Norte before the real numbers start up. This in turn hopefully will mean you won't have queues for the shower or doing your washing. I wouldn't bother with the clothes line - you should find plenty of space to hang your stuff.
There are still good choices of places to stay and to eat on the Norte .. . I see you are heading off planning have space for 'food' in your pack.
If this is because you want to carry your own choice of snacks, all good - but if it is because you think there will be nowhere to buy food? Well, I didn't carry much at all. I found as long as I had my water and maybe a piece of fruit, some nuts or small pack of bikkies., I never felt I'd starve. I think the biscuits lasted from Barcelona to Bilbao.. Are you starting from Irun ? I may have missed a post with your plans. How long etc., but you can break before San Sebastian. There is a lovely place called Pasajes de San Juan . The alburgue is only small but cosy and friendly. The alburgue at Orio (past San Sebastián ) includes dinner and breakfast.. It is a glorious spot.. The whole Norte is !

I'd expect that you won't be feeling cold for long in the mornings after you start walking., as you've got some good hills to get your blood pumping in the first few days of the Norte .

The main thing I really wanted to comment on though Ariel was the camera with film?
The smart phone does so much and is so light compared to (camera,case,film batteries, plus phone )
You can use the phone for camera . But I guess you have your reasons.

....not too long for you now. So exciting isn't it.

Buen Camino Ariel.

Annie

Hi Laura, at the top of this page you will find "services in Santiago by Ivar" and one of his services consists of picking up the box you mail him from the postoffice and keeping it untill you pick it up. He will keep it for 30 days but if you need more time and e-mail him, he'll keep it for longer.
There is als0 an introduction to him somewhere on this site.
The best to you.
Thank you so much Ekelund, I'll get in touch with him as I need to store suitcase and didn't want to have to backtrack to Marseille to pick it up. I'm here from Canada and will be in Europe for 5 and a half months... so need a few more things than I can backpack...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Ariel and welcome.

It does look a lot of gear, but you've chopped it down somewhat. Good work.
I'd still take the sun hat though.

You'll be on the Norte before the real numbers start up. This in turn hopefully will mean you won't have queues for the shower or doing your washing. I wouldn't bother with the clothes line - you should find plenty of space to hang your stuff.
There are still good choices of places to stay and to eat on the Norte .. . I see you are heading off planning have space for 'food' in your pack.
If this is because you want to carry your own choice of snacks, all good - but if it is because you think there will be nowhere to buy food? Well, I didn't carry much at all. I found as long as I had my water and maybe a piece of fruit, some nuts or small pack of bikkies., I never felt I'd starve. I think the biscuits lasted from Barcelona to Bilbao.. Are you starting from Irun ? I may have missed a post with your plans. How long etc., but you can break before San Sebastian. There is a lovely place called Pasajes de San Juan . The alburgue is only small but cosy and friendly. The alburgue at Orio (past San Sebastián ) includes dinner and breakfast.. It is a glorious spot.. The whole Norte is !

I'd expect that you won't be feeling cold for long in the mornings after you start walking., as you've got some good hills to get your blood pumping in the first few days of the Norte .

The main thing I really wanted to comment on though Ariel was the camera with film?
The smart phone does so much and is so light compared to (camera,case,film batteries, plus phone )
You can use the phone for camera . But I guess you have your reasons.

....not too long for you now. So exciting isn't it.

Buen Camino Ariel.

Annie
HI Annie,

I am bringing the camera and the film because I have many qualms with technology and my addiction to the internet. I thought about taking my iPod which has a camera a wifi connection--but I really want to disconnect from the world and do not want to be posting on Facebook or Instagram at all. I decided that I don't want the option at and so I bought a film camera and taught myself how to use it. I also much prefer the authenticity of film photography because you take a shot and there is no delete button, unlike a digital camera where you can take 25 pictures and select the one that you feel best captures the moment. With film, I can only capture one moment and it'll be the moment as it was--no edits.

Also--I think I have decided to switch my route form the Camnio del Norte (though it sounds so beautiful!) to the Via de la Plata from Seville. This is for a number of reasons--but primarily because I do not want to have to deal with the rain and the cold and the mud for the duration of my pilgrimage. I will also already be in Seville for Good Friday and it will be easier/cheaper to begin where I am already posted. If anybody on this thread has any input--or thinks I'm making a silly decision--advice is appreciated!

Ariel
With your swap in route to vdlp , you have valid thoughts. As long as you're happy. The Norte will still be there another time.
You have all the time in the world. Sounds like you're going to have one beautiful spring walk.
The camera thing is a romantic idea but it will be interesting to get your ideas on the decision further on.

Buen Camino
Annie

Ariel
Re your change in plans, I really do understand your thought gymnastics as I have been doing likewise. I'm flying in to Madrid 23 April and 'my way' has not yet been set in stone. Looking at El Salvador /primitivo but recently checking out alternative of Salamanca >SdC. It may be decision made when I get to Madrid.
So I can understand your thoughts on change.
Annie

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't think you will need a multi-tool. Also, consider trying to take less clothing (wear one outfit to hike, another to change into when you go to dinner).

Can you ditch some of the books, paper? Using a smart phone for books, guides, etc. will cut down on weight.

I admire your commitment to analog photography (a dying art), but could you get a digital camera? No bulky film, etc.

I am not staying outside on the Camino, so I only have a sleeping bag liner and a blanket.

Hello all!

Sunscreen
Rain cover
Moleskin/mini first aid
Cliff bars
Summerlight sleeping bag
Green fleece
Patagonia sun shirt
Wool skirt
maps/guides/book
meds & glasses/cloth
red necklace/1 earring

Talon 33L OR J63??
Wrap Dress?
Sun hat?

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.