• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list... would love feedback and advice :)

LeanneD

Time of past OR future Camino
SJJP to Finesterre (departing Sept 17 2016)
Dear Friends,

I'm so thankful for this forum and all that I have learned here. It's really just so amazing to have this kind of support before such a journey and I have really enjoyed reading and learning from everyone along the way. I leave my hometown (Victoria BC) on Friday and arrive in SJPP on Monday Sept 19 to begin my walk on the 20th. I was hoping to get your insights and suggestions to any modifications I could make to my packing list.... please and thank you!

40 litre pack (Vaude)
rain cover for pack
lightweight rain jacket (shell type)
hoka one one trail runners
teva sandals (good for hiking as an alternate)
flip flops
3 pairs merino smart wool socks
one wool light sweater (cashmere)
one long sleeved merino shirt
2 short sleeved merino shirts
one long sleeved sun protection button up shirt
hiking shorts
1 merino leggings
1 hiking skirt (I'm planning to hike in skirt/dress with leggings the whole way)
1 merino pull over dress (for hiking)
1 cotton shirt for sleeping
3 underwear
2 bra's
lightweight silk sarong for post shower, skirt and pillow making
lightweight down vest
small travel towel (now I have a linen one or a travel one... not sure which to bring but read that linen doesn't allow bacteria to build up... any other experiences with this?)
iphone with charger, headphones
ear plugs
headlight
tilly hat
one of those neck things that doubles as a toque... and a bunch of other configurations it seems.
light merino gloves (can't stand cold hands!)
money belt for important things (money, passport, etc).
short gaitors (does anyone use these? friends on the PCT have, but I'm not sure here)
lightweight journal - 2 pens
item to leave on the hill...

1 silk liner
1 lightweight sleeping quilt (which, interestingly enough, is also a 'poncho' with a hood, zippered pocket.. from MEC)
1 day pack (teeny) for little things and for sending my bag ahead on day 1-2 over the mountains..
2l camelback
safety pins
clips
travel scissors

toiletries ~ travel sized toothbrush, toothpaste, soap dry leaves, conditioner, hairbrush, floss, small tube of cream for skin. tissue paper

first aid ~ bandaids, moleskin, paper tape (the physiotherapist I work with swore by these as wraps for toes when she did the camino), antibiotic ointment, tylenol, muscle cream (forget name, starts with v), needle and thread, anti-chafing stick. tensor bandage.

Wow... ok! I'm hoping to be under 14lbs (excluding water) but have not weighed it full yet. But with most things was close to 11lbs.

Thank you all so much for having a look and offering your thoughts! So appreciated!

Buen Camino.... can't wait to be saying that along the way...
Leanne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
-40 litre pack (Vaude)
-rain cover for pack
-lightweight rain jacket (shell type)
-hoka one one trail runners
x teva sandals
(if your shoes dont fit then get a pair that do before you go)
-flip flops
(I would recommend plastic clogs instead)
-3 pairs merino smart wool socks
-one wool light sweater (cashmere)
x one long sleeved merino shirt
x 2 short sleeved merino shirts
---one long sleeved sun protection button up shirt
(get three long sleeve shirts and get rid of the wool and in particular the short sleeve wool)
x hiking shorts
(you are planning to hike in skirt ... so why the shorts?)
x 1 merino leggings
-1 hiking skirt (I'm planning to hike in skirt/dress with leggings the whole way)
x 1 merino pull over dress (for hiking)
-1 cotton shirt for sleeping
-3 underwear
-2 bra's
-lightweight silk sarong for post shower, skirt and pillow making
-lightweight down vest
-small travel towel
- iphone with charger, headphones
(You need an adapter for your charger)
-ear plugs
-headlight
-tilly hat
-one of those neck things that doubles as a toque... and a bunch of other configurations it seems.
-light merino gloves (can't stand cold hands!)
-money belt for important things (money, passport, etc).
short gaitors (does anyone use these? friends on the PCT have, but I'm not sure here) ...
(Gaiters will help keep debris from getting in your shoes ... if you wear long pants you don't need gaiters)
-lightweight journal - 2 pens
x item to leave on the hill...
(Leave only footprints (okay ... a suitably LARGE rock is acceptable if you must ... but no junk ... none... really ... even if you see the junk others have left and come to the wrong conclusion that littering is okay if its for sentimental reasons))

-1 silk liner
-1 lightweight sleeping quilt (which, interestingly enough, is also a 'poncho' with a hood, zippered pocket.. from MEC)
-1 day pack (teeny) for little things and for sending my bag ahead on day 1-2 over the mountains..
-2l camelback
-safety pins
-clips
-travel scissors

-toiletries ~ travel sized toothbrush, toothpaste, soap dry leaves, conditioner, hairbrush, floss, small tube of cream for skin. tissue paper .... (you need a ziploc for carrying used toilet paper to where you can dispose of it properly. Mark it so you don't use it for storing nuts later)

first aid ~ bandaids, moleskin, paper tape (the physiotherapist I work with swore by these as wraps for toes when she did the camino), antibiotic ointment, tylenol, muscle cream (forget name, starts with v), needle and thread, anti-chafing stick. tensor bandage.
(do you often use a tensor bandage? if no then don't bring it there are as many pharmacies as churches)

Packing lists are so much fun! But you've got a lot on this one and keep in mind food weighs about a pound, 1 liter of water weighs about 2 pounds and your pack weighs about 2 1/2 pounds. So stripping this down will make your hike more enjoyable.

Tevas may not dry as fast but can be used for hiking. Flip flops are great for nasty showers but not too practical for hiking. Personally, I'd take the Tevas and not worry about the showers. Or the other way around. But not both.

Your cashmere sweater may get destroyed so make sure it's one you don't care about. Pack straps might sadly put holes in it. Also, you've got a wool long sleeve that has the same function so I'd drop the cashmere...you can send it here if it needs a home! Unless it's orange...:)

The down vest is worthless if it gets wet. Do you have a light fleece? Doubling up the short sleeve merino and long sleeve may be enough under the rain shell. Speaking of rain, are you a rain pants kind of girl? They can go over the shorts on a chilly, damp day. Running tights or capris work well and dry fast, too. If you like hiking skirts/dresses, I'd take one, not both.

I had to google the linen antibacterial thing and it looks like it has to be treated. There were claims that bamboo cloth has that property, though. I just use a travel towel, wash it with soap occasionally, dry completely and don't worry about it. If you are taking a sarong, that can function as a towel, too so I wouldn't take both.

First aid kits are my specialty and you may find Ibuprofen and an antihistamine such as Benedryl helpful. Tylenol is a painkiller but sometimes an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen can really make a happy camper. I'm a non-threader but you will find lots of opinions both ways on this forum. A couple of bad experiences with sheep and cow poop/mud in open threaded blisters made me never want to do that again. When traveling overseas, I always take something for nausea, vomiting and a broad spectrum antibiotic...but that's overkill for most. Unless you're walking in sheep/cow poop, of course. A bit of duct tape lives in my first aid kit for removing nettles and pack repairs. Cortisone cream comes in handy for odd rashes and chafing.

I use gaiters in the snow but that's it. I get too hot with them though am jealous of those using them when tiny rocks get in my shoes.

I thought dry soap leaves were a brilliant idea...until I actually tried them on a trip. Now I buy a bar of Dr Bonner's soap (rose, peppermint or lavender are lovely but they have unscented, too). I cut it in half and use it for clothes, hair and body. It's a wonderful little luxury at the end of the day and the half bar lasts a couple of weeks. Lots of places to buy replacement soap along the way.

Drop the scissors and pick up a souvenir knife. That way you can have a picnic. Ever try cutting brie and an apple with a pair of scissors?? Don't forget to hang out with someone who carried a corkscrew. And a bottle of wine.

Hope this was helpful, have lots of fun and safe travels!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tevas and flip flops are one too many, get a pair that does both: Birkies EVAs or some Crocs models.

Trade cashmere for washable polar fleece (synthetic, not Aussie fleece).

No long sleeve shirt for sun as you have the merino long sleeve.

No down best.

No sarong. Never understood the use of it if carrying a towel, and if you do, stick to towel. Or use "onof those tube things people use...", use it as a pillow case instead of sarong.

Really, if men din't need a sarong, why do Women? Can someone explain?

One pen, to take notes in your guide book. no need for a journal. Nice idea: never used.

No item to leave on the hill, unless you are volunteering for cleaning up the hill as well. Make an extra donation in a donativo or in a church instead. Easier on the locals, and after all it's all symbolic.

Gaitors, with Hoka One Ones ... I can see the logoc as they are basically just a screen of material and socks get wet very quickly.

What are the clips for?

Have you tried the dry soap leaves? In my experience you need just about half the box to get anywhere. Don't buy them.

Buy Voltaren if you need it, It's available everywhere. And really, it does very litte. Would not spend my $ on it. Same with bandage: buy if needed. Available in every farmacia.

I use my sarong as a towel. Hate those tiny plastic towel things. The sarong also doubles as a sheet, a skirt, a scarf, a dressing gown..... And I prefer wool to synthetic fleece. But I agree that cashmere is too delicate - I took a cashmere jumper once instead of a more robust wool, and it was a mistake, it is just too fragile for pulling in and out of a pack, going under a pack, being caught up in velcro. Now I take a merino bikers jumper.

I think you have a little too much clothing...see if you can eliminate something. 1 short sleeved merino shirt is enough. If you are planning to wear the skirt with leggings then leave the dress behind. I went in May and only had a silk liner and it was find. You probably don't need the extra blanket. My rain jacket had a hood so I only used it...and never used a rain poncho. I agree with the other comments...if you have the tevas you don't need the flip flops. You can wear the tevas in the shower.

The #1 thing I brought and was so glad I did was a pillowcase from home folded up in a ziplock bag. I treated it with permethrin. It was a comfort every night that I was laying my head down on a piece of home.

Also, someone I met on the path had a Jackery power bank that was very small and held an extra charge for your phone. My two daughters borrowed it from her many times - because you are not always near an outlet. Have fun! Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much everyone so far!! Ok! I've got some things to eliminate.... flip flops are staying home, one tee shirt, one long, I've got a fleece vest so will leave the down one. Thanks for the soap ideas.. half a bar of dr bonners sounds better! I didn't think those flakes looked promising. And everything else suggested... thank you! I'm open to further thoughts too... :)

Tevas and flip flops are one too many, get a pair that does both: Birkies EVAs or some Crocs models.

Really, if men din't need a sarong, why do Women? Can someone explain? haha... nope, cant explain except to say it looks pretty and is versatile.

No item to leave on the hill, unless you are volunteering for cleaning up the hill as well. Make an extra donation in a donativo or in a church instead. Easier on the locals, and after all it's all symbolic.

I really appreciate this suggestion. It's making me think of a different way to only bring what i need and just not to leave an object on the hill.

What are the clips for? for hanging things? in the shower to hang a bag or towel... got the idea from the forum.

Really, if men din't need a sarong, why do Women? Can someone explain? haha... nope, cant explain except to say it looks pretty and is versatile.
I'm with @Anemone del Camino on this. I question the versatility. If you use it as a towel, it will be wet and not suitable as a skirt, unless you are on a sunny South Sea Island. Similarly it is no good as a blanket or shawl when wet. Yes, you can hang it as a privacy curtain while it dries, but who needs that? Maybe those people who don't get dressed in the shower stall and come to their bunks wearing a sarong, and need privacy while they dress. Then how will they hang it as a privacy curtain while they are wearing it?:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... Really, if men din't need a sarong, why do Women? Can someone explain? ...

My sarong dries extremely quickly, far quicker than any high-tech-fiber-travel-towel or similar. I use it as a sheet/pillow case, light siesta blanket, skirt, dress, scarf etc. If some of these uses are not of use to men, why shouldn't I use it f.e. as a skirt? Buen Camino, SY

Please get rid of the headlamp unless you expect to walk in the dark. Inside they end up shining in everybody's eyes. A little keychain light is probably all you need. Preferably with a red LED. They don't weigh or cost much so even if you do need the headlamp take one of these for inside use. This substitution will save you some weight and bulk and save others from aggravation.

:)

Dear Friends,

I'm so thankful for this forum and all that I have learned here. It's really just so amazing to have this kind of support before such a journey and I have really enjoyed reading and learning from everyone along the way. I leave my hometown (Victoria BC) on Friday and arrive in SJPP on Monday Sept 19 to begin my walk on the 20th. I was hoping to get your insights and suggestions to any modifications I could make to my packing list.... please and thank you!

40 litre pack (Vaude)
rain cover for pack
flip flops
hiking shorts
1 merino leggings
1 hiking skirt (I'm planning to hike in skirt/dress with leggings the whole way)
3 underwear
2 bra's
lightweight down vest
small travel towel (now I have a linen one or a travel one... not sure which to bring but read that linen doesn't allow bacteria to build up... any other experiences with this?)
ear plugs
headlight
tilly hat
one of those neck things that doubles as a toque... and a bunch of other configurations it seems.
short gaitors (does anyone use these? friends on the PCT have, but I'm not sure here)

1 silk liner
1 lightweight sleeping quilt (which, interestingly enough, is also a 'poncho' with a hood, zippered pocket.. from MEC)
1 day pack (teeny) for little things and for sending my bag ahead on day 1-2 over the mountains..
2l camelback
safety pins
clips
travel scissors

toiletries ~ travel sized toothbrush, toothpaste, soap dry leaves, conditioner, hairbrush, floss, small tube of cream for skin. tissue paper

Wow... ok! I'm hoping to be under 14lbs (excluding water) but have not weighed it full yet. But with most things was close to 11lbs.

Thank you all so much for having a look and offering your thoughts! So appreciated!

Leanne
You've got an awful lot of clothing. I'd pare it down. The down vest is unnecessary. I'd take either the Teva sandals or the flip flops, but not both. I'd go with a lightweight water bottle rather than a Camelback. Typically, you'll only need one liter with you at any time. Two liters weighs about 4-1/2 pounds. There are plenty of fountains along the way. There are times when you need to ask the proprietor at a bar to refill water for you. I wouldn't want to hand them a Camelback...that would be awkward. A few items I didn't see: a knife, a cork puller, a cup. I used my knife every day to cut meat, cheese, bread and apples. The cork puller is necessary if you want to enjoy the vino tinto along the way. The cup is for the wine, or whatever your beverage of choice is. I didn't have a cup when I walked and wished I had.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear Friends,

40 litre pack (Vaude)
rain cover for pack
flip flops
hiking shorts
1 merino leggings
3 underwear
2 bra's
lightweight down vest
ear plugs
headlight
tilly hat

1 silk liner
2l camelback
safety pins
clips
travel scissors

Leanne
Sounds like you have it pretty much together. I live near Seattle so our training weather is about the same. Just remember to layer. I use gaiters in the Cascades hiking, but I chose not to take them with me last March and was glad I did (less weight to carry) We had several days of snow, sleet and hail and much rain. A total of 5 days of sunshine in 35 days. Remember your traveling pack weight will be less traveling to and from. carrying snacks on the trail and water will add 2-5 lbs. depending on your water capacity. Enjoy your Camino experience.

Buen Camino
Ultriea

My sarong dries extremely quickly, far quicker than any high-tech-fiber-travel-towel or similar. I use it as a sheet/pillow case, light siesta blanket, skirt, dress, scarf etc. If some of these uses are not of use to men, why shouldn't I use it f.e. as a skirt? Buen Camino, SY
Okay, okay! I retract my comments about sarongs. I guess I am just not a sarong-sort-of-person.

As a fellow Victorian, I wish you heartfelt Buen Camino. Check out our local chapter when you return or feel free to PM at any time. Safe travels. P.S. and take the good advice about your 'list' from others here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay, okay! I retract my comments about sarongs. I guess I am just not a sarong-sort-of-person.

Hi @C clearly I’m with you and @Anemone del Camino on this one. I’ve carried a sarong twice on a camino, for miles and miles and miles . . . . and never used it once. This time, it’s staying at home! Jill

Hi @C clearly I’m with you and @Anemone del Camino on this one. I’ve carried a sarong twice on a camino, for miles and miles and miles . . . . and never used it once. This time, it’s staying at home! Jill

Fair enough, if you haven't used it even once, then you don't need it! :D

I also used mine as a shawl on my first 2 caminos as I brought a sundress, long but with spaghetti straps, so the sarong covered my shoulders when at church :cool:

@LeanneD, hi. I write this about noon on Wednesday your time. So still time for action

My overall observation is way too much. About 40 plus items!!!! And no water????

Slim down to around (an arbitrary) 20 all up and you can expect to be more comfortable packing and unpacking each day. And minimise the angst when you cant remember where you packed such and such.

Median day time temperatures along the Camino Frances during September / October seem to range from low 20 to high teens. Meaning, if you have several tops and a rain jacket, put them all on when you feel cold. That way any other tops are superfluous. Plus the gaiters and leggings etc

Trade cashmere for washable polar fleece (synthetic, not Aussie fleece)

Take neither (and the Aussie fleece would weigh far to much, although shearing time is about now.

Really, if men din't need a sarong, why do Women? Can someone explain?

I seriously looked at a longyi (a sarong with the ends stitched together) as worn by men in Malaysia. Abandoned that when I found a very lightweight pleated skirt, which I called a kilt because of its construction.

I think you have a little too much clothing

I like your understatement.

@LeanneD, I'm sorry if I have given you some grief at the last moment. As with the comments by others it comes from much experience from tramping in "my" hilly back country and elsewhere.

I wish you well.

Kia kaha (be brave, be strong, have courage, get going)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks so much everyone so far!! Ok! I've got some things to eliminate.... flip flops are staying home, one tee shirt, one long, I've got a fleece vest so will leave the down one. Thanks for the soap ideas.. half a bar of dr bonners sounds better! I didn't think those flakes looked promising. And everything else suggested... thank you! I'm open to further thoughts too... :)

I would like to take a radical departure from your list and propose a condensed version.

Two shirts, one short sleeve and one long sleeve. Layer them if you're cold.

One long-sleeved sweater if you must (merino wool of course).

One pair long pants, your one skirt, and one pair of merino wool shorts (for under the pants or the skirt).

Three pair of socks--smart wool and tested with boots or shoes that fit.

Three pair of underwear maximum

Two bras maximum.

One pair gloves, one buff (or a hat).

One lightweight jacket (fleece or whatever you want). I used a waterproof
jacket that kept me warm, and ditched the fleece, to be honest.

A light silk scarf to get pretty if you must. If it's big enough, it can be your sarong.

One towel OR sarong. One or the other, not both.

Then, trim down your entire gear set.

You will probably be very hot / warm. Last October, the first three weeks were total sunshine, and hot.

Only had rain three days in November. Lighten your load.

Pack light, go far.

Buen Camino.

I guess I have yet to come across "tiny towel things" Kanga mentions.

Mine is soft, wraps all the way around my round body, not tiny nor plastic.

As for walking around town as if one was at a toga party, wearing a sarong in town, in chirch, I am happy to say I have never seen anyone doing it.

If you want to being some sort of large scarf, do consider a silk meditation scarf. At least it's warm, unlike a sarong.

JF, have you ever used Hoka One Ones? I'm curious to know what shoes you wore that got you through snow, rain, etc, with no gaitors! Were they Gortex?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Leanne,

We'll be starting a day ahead of you. We hope to see you on the road. The picture at the left is from the last Camino and should be enough to recognize us. Please say "hello."

I didn't read all of the other comments due to lack of time, so please forgive if this duplicates issues already beaten to death.

hoka one one trail runners--My wife loves hers
teva sandals (good for hiking as an alternate)Good idea
flip flops--Leave them behind. Put clothes to be laundered anyway on shower floor
3 pairs merino smart wool socks--I think these will be too hot. Take one pair for cold nights. Take only liner-type socks (we use Injini toe socks)
2 short sleeved merino shirts--Leave these. Just long sleeves. One wool for cool days, one sun protection for hot days.
hiking shorts--If you have the skirt and the pull over dress, leave these. You have one too many bottoms.
1 merino leggings
1 cotton shirt for sleeping. I sleep in walking clothes. Pajamas are too heavy.
3 underwear--leave one
2 bra's
lightweight silk sarong for post shower, skirt and pillow making. This or the towel, not both.
lightweight down vest--Duplicative with wool sweater. Pick one or the other. Personally, I'm taking just a down jacket.
small travel towel (now I have a linen one or a travel one... not sure which to bring but read that linen doesn't allow bacteria to build up... any other experiences with this?)see above.
ear plugs
headlight
tilly hat. Love these (do not have--I'm a cheap bastard).
short gaitors (does anyone use these? friends on the PCT have, but I'm not sure here)--Leave these. Really unnecessary.
lightweight journal - 2 pens--leave one pen.

1 silk liner
1 lightweight sleeping quilt (which, interestingly enough, is also a 'poncho' with a hood, zippered pocket.. from MEC)You may be able to use this instead of either the wool sweater or down vest. We're taking just down jackets that we can sleep in if necessary. You may be able to sort of do the reverse.
2l camelback--too heavy. Just use cheap bottles they sell water in. And too big. You will rarely ever need more than 1L (and on those days, buy a second bottle of water)
safety pins yes, lots
clips Why, if you have safety pins?
travel scissors

Notably absent:
big ziploc bags (to keep clothes, phone dry in shower). I like the 2 gallon ones
things to fix you feet with. You will need this. You can buy some things at the farmacias along the way, but some things (mole foam, leukotape, KT tape) we could not find for love or money.
adapter plug for cell phone charger
sun block,
chapstick

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Hi Leanne,
I was curious about your MEC sleeping quilt / poncho. I googled it and found a Thermarest Honcho Poncho www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-991/Honcho-Poncho . Is this what you've got? It looks like a good "two birds, one stone" solution. Has anyone else used this? Any other thoughts / feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Janine (Newbie)

Hi Leanne,
I was curious about your MEC sleeping quilt / poncho. I googled it and found a Thermarest Honcho Poncho www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-991/Honcho-Poncho . Is this what you've got? It looks like a good "two birds, one stone" solution. Has anyone else used this? Any other thoughts / feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Janine (Newbie)
It might be OK as a sleeping quilt, but wouldn't really be dual purpose on the camino. It is "water resistant" and not waterproof, so it wouldn't work as a rain poncho.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Leanne,
Thanks
Janine (Newbie)
Janine,
The weight on them is pretty high. I could get both a down jacket (Lukes Ultralight, or Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisper) AND a down quilt (Enlightened Equipment, Hammock Gear) for that same weight. Of course, I'd really need only one or the other (I'm taking my down jacket and leaving the quilt). Leanne is leaving tomorrow and does not have time to re-equip, so my only comment to her was the later point--whether she wants a sweater, and a down vest, and this poncho. I suspect she does not. But your question/situation is different. You are asking if you should buy, and I think the answer is you can do better, by which I mean lighter.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Thanks Jo Jo, now that I consider it you are right in regards to weight and waterproofing. I also think it probably wouldn't be a good fit with a backpack, either under or over. Like the concept though as the two different uses would not be needed at the same time!
Thanks again
Janine

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Leanne,
Thanks
Janine (Newbie)

It looks like a portable sauna to me ;-) I don't think it will work as you create more warmth when walking as when you are sleeping. Something that doubles as a sleeping bag and as a poncho will be most likely either too cold for sleeping or too warm for walking, or both.
Buen Camino, SY

I just got home from the camino 1 week ago. I had the smallest and lightest bag of anyone I saw the entire month. I got comments on a daily basis about my bag size. I used a 22L osprey and it ended up being about 13lbs with water and snacks. There was not one time I wished I had something I didn't bring with me, and I used everything in my bag almost daily. One item that really helped bring down my weight was my sarong. I used it everyday in a multitude of areas. Towel, pillow cover, sun shade over head and shoulders, skirt or shoulder cover for church, scarf for cold mornings, privacy curtains, pulled it inside of my sleeping liner if I got cold at night. The only reason someone would bring a sarong and not use it is because they brought too much other stuff. When you minimize, you get resourceful, and it feels so good.

You are on your way already. Just a word about those toe wraps. Maybe your physiotherapist is a skilled professional on how to apply them, maybe he/she was just lucky, but its basically as if you had a brick in your shoes - creates the biggest and worst blisters I've seen and that same person lost a toe nail, I believe because of the wraps not in spite of them. Whenever something feels strange for your feet - stop, check. Do not leave even a small hot spot unattended. Which you can't do if all your toes are securely wrapped without any access. When you stop for rest (roadside or bar, wherever) take off your shoes and your socks, check the feet, let them have some fresh air, dry the socks a bit or change them, and after you put all back the creases will be smoothened out and hopefully will lay differently till the next stop when they will be smoothened again.
Also unnecessary ankle supports did change her way of walking and she got some kind of tendon inflammation.
Keep it simple, less is more etc...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.