• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing list

Sigurd Madsen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camiño de Santiago (Oktober-November, 2017)
Hi people out there!

I am about to walk my first Camino in about 20 days from now and I am currently in the final stages of getting the last few things that I need. I hope that someone in here with experience of walking on the Camiño de Santiago in and around the 25th of October to around the end of November could help guide me in regards to the clothes you should wear according to the weather conditions in the region of Northern Spain during this period.

I currently have these basic things packed and ready:
  • A rainjacket for wind and lots of rain.
  • Merino wool underwear, instead of a sleeping bag during nights sleeping in the albergues.
  • Hiking shoes (not waterproof).
  • A small quickly drying towel.
  • A neckie (a small cylindrical scarf).
  • 3 pairs of merino socks.
  • 2 shorts.
  • 2 merino shirts.
  • 1 thin fleece .
What I am hoping that someone could tell me is really 3 things:
  1. Am I crazy for thinking that shorts would be sufficient for walking the entire Camino for 30 days? I am used to walking in shorts even in the current Danish weather with around 13-15 degrees celsius outside. They work as a radiator when I am active.
  2. Are non-waterproof membrane based hiking shoes a good idea during this period? I tend to get very hot feet when I walk. If it rains a lot won't "waterproof" shoes get wet anyway? How do I prevent this?
  3. If I should buy a pair of trousers which ones should I buy? Are running pants a good idea?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sigurd and welcome!

Walking in Oct/Nov is going to be pretty cold and snow is well within the norm, especially in the higher mountain passes. If you're related to the old Vikings shorts may be a fine choice but for most pants will be a pretty good idea. Also, you can't bank on Albergues having any blankets available (they may be I wouldn't be willing to bank on it) and it's most common to have the heat shut off shortly after lights out. With only wool underwear (not sure if they are long underwear?) you could be very, very cold at night. I'd suggest you search for packing lists and winter walking to get a feel for how others appraoch this.
Good luck with your planning!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sigurd and welcome!

Walking in Oct/Nov is going to be pretty cold and snow is well within the norm, especially in the higher mountain passes. If you're related to the old Vikings shorts may be a fine choice but for most pants will be a pretty good idea. Also, you can't bank on Albergues having any blankets available (they may be I wouldn't be willing to bank on it) and it's most common to have the heat shut off shortly after lights out. With only wool underwear (not sure if they are long underwear?) you could be very, very cold at night. I'd suggest you search for packing lists and winter walking to get a feel for how others appraoch this.
Good luck with your planning!

Thank you for your quick response!
I seem to find very contradicting answers on whether there are blankets at the albergues. Some people say that there's lots and others, like yourself, say that you cannot count on there being any..

I am not sure what to think, haha. A sleeping bag would take a lot of space in my bag, not to talk about the prize of a small, lightweight sleeping bag.

I seem to find very contradicting answers on whether there are blankets at the albergues. Some people say that there's lots and others, like yourself, say that you cannot count on there being any..

I am not sure what to think, haha. A sleeping bag would take a lot of space in my bag, not to talk about the prize of a small, lightweight sleeping bag.
There was a recent post about this topic. I walk in colder seasons with a sleeping bag and never really checked on blanket status but check out what some of the very experienced members had to say about it here but at the end of the day you know your comfort levels and will take the final decision. Might be worth checking some of the seasonal average temperatures too.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Regardless of whether blankets are available or not, I for one wouldn't want to use them. Can't imagine they are washed after each use ewww! I prefer my own comfortable bag. It's nice to have a bit of home wrapped around you at night.

I’m also walking the Camino this October (St Jean on 20th). I have a sleeping bag that is lightweight and opens up as a quilt. I also have a liner (to stop bed bugs more than anything else).

I have one pair of shorts and one long pair of walking trousers.

Suggestion: why don’t you buy one pair of walking trousers that zip off at the knee to substitute one of your pairs of shorts? I wouldn’t like to walk in the snow in shorts, but if you are ok with cold weather then stick with shorts!

Our postman wears shorts 365 days a year and we are in the UK! It’s freezing!

Hi people out there!

I am about to walk my first Camino in about 20 days from now and I am currently in the final stages of getting the last few things that I need. I hope that someone in here with experience of walking on the Camiño de Santiago in and around the 25th of October to around the end of November could help guide me in regards to the clothes you should wear according to the weather conditions in the region of Northern Spain during this period.

I currently have these basic things packed and ready:
  • A rainjacket for wind and lots of rain.
  • Merino wool underwear, instead of a sleeping bag during nights sleeping in the albergues.
  • Hiking shoes (not waterproof).
  • A small quickly drying towel.
  • A neckie (a small cylindrical scarf).
  • 3 pairs of merino socks.
  • 2 shorts.
  • 2 merino shirts.
  • 1 thin fleece .
  1. Am I crazy for thinking that shorts would be sufficient for walking the entire Camino for 30 days? I am used to walking in shorts even in the current Danish weather with around 13-15 degrees celsius outside. They work as a radiator when I am active.
  2. Are non-waterproof membrane based hiking shoes a good idea during this period? I tend to get very hot feet when I walk. If it rains a lot won't "waterproof" shoes get wet anyway? How do I prevent this?
  3. If I should buy a pair of trousers which ones should I buy? Are running pants a good idea?
Hi there!
Just to add: if you don't take a sleeping bag you'll still need something to sleep on, to cover the mattress with. Some albergues have disposable sheets but not all. That really is a must.
I would really advise to take a sleeping bag or a light quilt or something :confused: There are plenty of threads on that subject...

I'm sure you'll be fine walking in shorts if you are used to it. It's in the evenings, when you are not walking, that you are more likely to feel cold. How about taking some merino leggings if you don't want to buy trousers?

Enjoy your packing, exciting times! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've never had wet feet wearing waterproof boots or hiking shoes. Not even in pouring rain. But I use short gaiters to keep the water from going down the top.
I would take 1 pair of hiking pants and light weight sleeping bag or liner.

Last edited:
I seem to find very contradicting answers on whether there are blankets at the albergues. Some people say that there's lots and others, like yourself, say that you cannot count on there being any.
Those who say there are lots, have not stayed at places where/when there are none!

I can't imagine going at that time of year with only shorts for day time, and only long underwear (even merino) for sleeping! I like to be warm. However, if you think you'll be fine, go for it, but be prepared to spend some chilly nights.

You ask about type of pants - I would say that quick-dry is important, and something that would also be comfortable to sleep in.

1. ... I am thinking that shorts would be sufficient? ...
  2. Are non-waterproof membrane based hiking shoes a good idea?
  3. If I should buy a pair of trousers which ones should I buy?
1) Yes, quite sufficient. Jusr make sure they are knee length and a bit baggy. Combine with long hose but not wool,theywill wear out too soon.

2) Yes, a good idea. The feet need to breathe and excess heat needs to get away. I always enjoy wading through "normal" temperature streams when I encounter them: within 500 m things are pretty much backto normal. But mud is another question.

3) Dont. See my 1) above. The issue is this: If the lower extremety gets wet you need to change.Are you intending to carry a second pair. With shorts, you just change the hose without too much haste (see my 2) above.

kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I have been to albergues without blankets, I used my sleeping bag. I have now switched to a down travel quilt, lighter and more versatile.

I always wear shorts when walking, even in a snowstorm at O'Cebreiro, but most people looked twice, as no else was wearing shorts. I stopped for café con leche at one bar and a young lady asked if I was cold, so I invited her to feel my legs which the brazen hussy did and told me they were hot! I saw her a lot after then.
But seriously, 99% of people would wear pants, but that means waterproof pants as well. If you are ok with weight, carry them. I did take a long pair of pants with zippered bottoms so they could also be used as a second pair of shorts, and I needed to wear them in the evenings in late Oct and Nov. I always take a lightweight sleeping bag, with a silk liner.
Blankets - some albergues have them for every bed, some have them but not enough, and some do not have them at any time. I wouldn't want to sleep in them anyway for hygiene reasons.
Buen Camino

As a Dane, you'll need sunscreen for the legs (and face and arms). At least for the first week, or so (more, if you're a blonde).

Some kind of sheet for the bed is required by most albergues. It's a matter of hygiene. I use a silk bag liner (and always bring a light down bag/quilt). The blankets (if there are any) may have been used by quite a number of other pilgrims.

A pair of trousers may come in mighty handy in the evenings. Evenings in Spain can be rather like evenings in Danmark. Chilly.

A membrane in the shoes won't make any difference at all in the rain, as they will get soaked from above by the water running down your legs. Having no membrane will let the shoes breathe better and dry faster.

If you use only a short rain jacket, your bum will get soaked. Consider a rain kilt.

Do bring a bit of soap, and a toothbrush ;)

A pack cover may come in handy. I'd recommend a pack liner in stead. I prefer using dry bags for the things I want to keep dry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.