• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing List

alxis

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Camino Frances May-June 2019
Including travel and some time in Barcelona at the end, I'll be walking from May 5th - June 10th and have no idea what to expect for weather therefore no idea what to pack. Any advise is beyond helpful and appreciated!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One “outfit” to wear and one set in your pack.
Underwear, good socks, rain jacket (you will likely get rain at some point), pack cover. Something warm to layer if needed like a fleece. Small amount of toiletries/first aid (you can replenish there as needed). Small towel. Comfortable hiking shoes and an extra pair to change into at night. Something to sleep in (either a liner or very light bag).

That’s it. Lay out everything you think you need and then put half of it away.

A light pack that you can carry makes life on the Camino much easier.

Buen Camino

One “outfit” to wear and one set in your pack.
Underwear, good socks, rain jacket (you will likely get rain at some point), pack cover. Something warm to layer if needed like a fleece. Small amount of toiletries/first aid (you can replenish there as needed). Small towel. Comfortable hiking shoes and an extra pair to change into at night. Something to sleep in (either a liner or very light bag).

That’s it. Lay out everything you think you need and then put half of it away.

A light pack that you can carry makes life on the Camino much easier.

Buen Camino
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Of course that was the short version.
You get to have the planning fun of figuring out WHICH shirts/shoes/socks/etc. work best for you.

And I would sneak in one extra shirt if you will be traveling in Barcelona very long...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not necessary of course, but if you are only packing two tech hiking shirts it might be fun to have an extra lightweight shirt for running around enjoying Barcelona. If you aren’t visiting there until after the Camino you could pick one up in Santiago. Just for fun. ;)

I am planning to start Camino Frances in the beginning of April 2019. Any ideas for packing & weather expectations?

have no idea what to expect for weather therefore no idea what to pack.
I am planning to start Camino Frances in the beginning of April 2019. Any ideas for packing & weather expectations?
None of us knows what weather to expect, except that sun and heat are certain in July and August, and cold and rain are certain in Nov-Feb.

So... both of you should take lightweight layers that can be combined for a large range of weather. Some people swear by the "wear 1, wash 1" approach and they wear the next day's clothes to bed. My preference is to have a set of walking clothes and an evening outfit, so I don't have to wash more than socks and underwear every night..

Walking outfit - Wear the appropriate combination of: long pants, light t-shirt, long sleeve sun shirt, long sleeve light merino base layer, underwear and socks. Hat, buff, light gloves. Rain jacket and rain pants.

Evening/sleeping outfit - Second pair of long pants (I have merino sweat pants), light long sleeved merino base layer, t-shirt (as alternative for hot weather), underwear and socks. Take a merino or light fleece zip sweater that can be used in day or evening as necessary, and I love my puffy down vest for extra warmth in the evening or in bed.

Spare clothes: 1 more pair of socks and underwear.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Am I the only one who does not weigh anything? We are leaving in two weeks for a month in Spain including our camino of 10 days from A Guarda to Santiago de Compostela. Even if we were not going to tilt at windmills in La Mancha or visit Sevilla I would still pack more than one change of clothes. I fill my pack, wear it on local hikes to see how it feels, and make adjustments. I wear my pack several times a week home here so perhaps I am just used to the weight.

About city wear:

Prior to the camino, for backpacking, I already had a pair of nylon convertible trousers and a long sleeve nylon shirt. They were different shades of khaki. I also had for hiking another nylon shirt that was checkered and styled as casual wear (smaller, non-flapped pockets.) For the Camino I picked up another pair of convertible pants but in a slate color. In cities before and after the Camino and after daily walking I wore the slate pants and checkered shirt as they looked more like normal street wear. I wore the khaki-colored clothes for walking. The street wear looking clothes worked fine for walking for the times I needed to wear them.

For travel before and after the Camino I just bring a suitcase with my extra clothes (and hair dryer!), which I send to Santiago before I start my Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Including travel and some time in Barcelona at the end, I'll be walking from May 5th - June 10th and have no idea what to expect for weather therefore no idea what to pack. Any advise is beyond helpful and appreciated!

My husband & I will also begin the CF from SJPdP on May 5. It is also our first camino. Maybe we'll see you along the way.

Am I the only one who does not weigh anything? We are leaving in two weeks for a month in Spain including our camino of 10 days from A Guarda to Santiago de Compostela. Even if we were not going to tilt at windmills in La Mancha or visit Sevilla I would still pack more than one change of clothes. I fill my pack, wear it on local hikes to see how it feels, and make adjustments. I wear my pack several times a week home here so perhaps I am just used to the weight.
If it works for you, why change it? :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Of course that was the short version.
You get to have the planning fun of figuring out WHICH shirts/shoes/socks/etc. work best for you.

And I would sneak in one extra shirt if you will be traveling in Barcelona very long...

I collect a new tee shirt in each city - they become great souvenirs :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This year my wife and I used Bouricott (nice people) to take bags from SJPP to Burgos. I made a booking with the AC Marriott Hotel and checked they were happy to take delivery and store them. It all worked great.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.