• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing My Fears

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
Finally, I get it. This is the only place to get it all out there. Here is where people understand.

What am I afraid of going into the unknown on a daily basis? What will I need, not want, to manage the Camino?
Will I be cold? So I pack for cold, with light weight layers and a jacket + buff/beeny/gloves/leggings/winter panty hose/pr heavy socks.
Will I be too hot? So I pack for the heat with dri wick/vented shirts/double layer running socks.
Will I be wet? Pack a good poncho and water proof socks.
Will I be hungry? Pack some snacks.
Will I be thirsty? Water is heavy.
Will I get blisters? Learn to tape feet where I always get blisters. Extra socks to change mid day. Sandals to change into. My hiking sandals are great.
Will I get lost? Maybe, but I will find my way back. Just pay attention and look for the markers. The Camino is not the wilderness with hungry bears.

I don't mind getting dirty. Pack shower items so I'm not smelly. My hair will be a mess.
Happy with my shower and laundry items.
Socks to wear indoors after shower.

Anyone notice all the dang socks? This is the strange part. I've never worn socks unless it is really cold (ok, 60F is cold and 50F is very cold). Cold seems to be the #1 fear.
Now I am fixated on socks and have a draw full that don't work, are too heavy etc. And as I have hiking sandals, there is no reason to wear any socks unless I am cold. (or will I get blisters if I don't wear socks?) I have never liked socks, lol. I am wearing socks to train, my feet get hot, I get blisters. Yes, this is with the wicking, double, running socks. No blisters with socks when it is cold.
The weight of the pack (11.5 lbs dry / 13.5 with food and water) does impact my feet as well.

My bedding is comfortable and in a dry sack.
Something to sleep in, wear around town - nope. Whatever is clean and dry works.

Thanks for being here. I just needed to get this all out someplace.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yep, you have arrived at the "Overanalysis" stage of Camino anticipation. While it all looks pretty scary from Arizona, it gets washed away like a sandcastle in the tide, the day you set foot on the trail. Sounds like you are preparing well. If you are like most of us, some of those fears will come to pass at some point on the trail. You will deal with them. You will find a friend, a shop, a refuge, a technique, or a new strength you never knew you had. The Camino will provide.

Pack those fears in a small plastic bag. Keep them in an outside pouch on your pack. You can deposit them in the receptacle provided on the Way as you are leaving SJPP.

Buen Camino

To which I say
everything_will_be_okay_in_the_end_it_its_not_okay_its_not_the_end_by_unknown.jpg

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Finally, I get it. This is the only place to get it all out there. Here is where people understand.

What am I afraid of going into the unknown on a daily basis? What will I need, not want, to manage the Camino?
Will I be cold? So I pack for cold, with light weight layers and a jacket + buff/beeny/gloves/leggings/winter panty hose/pr heavy socks.
Will I be too hot? So I pack for the heat with dri wick/vented shirts/double layer running socks.
Will I be wet? Pack a good poncho and water proof socks.
Will I be hungry? Pack some snacks.
Will I be thirsty? Water is heavy.
Will I get blisters? Learn to tape feet where I always get blisters. Extra socks to change mid day. Sandals to change into. My hiking sandals are great.
Will I get lost? Maybe, but I will find my way back. Just pay attention and look for the markers. The Camino is not the wilderness with hungry bears.

I don't mind getting dirty. Pack shower items so I'm not smelly. My hair will be a mess.
Happy with my shower and laundry items.
Socks to wear indoors after shower.

Anyone notice all the dang socks? This is the strange part. I've never worn socks unless it is really cold (ok, 60F is cold and 50F is very cold). Cold seems to be the #1 fear.
Now I am fixated on socks and have a draw full that don't work, are too heavy etc. And as I have hiking sandals, there is no reason to wear any socks unless I am cold. (or will I get blisters if I don't wear socks?) I have never liked socks, lol. I am wearing socks to train, my feet get hot, I get blisters. Yes, this is with the wicking, double, running socks. No blisters with socks when it is cold.
The weight of the pack (11.5 lbs dry / 13.5 with food and water) does impact my feet as well.

My bedding is comfortable and in a dry sack.
Something to sleep in, wear around town - nope. Whatever is clean and dry works.

Thanks for being here. I just needed to get this all out someplace.
Embrace the unknown!! :D

Seriously though ... call to mind what Mark Twain said about troubles (fears?): "I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

I used to be rather intrigued by people's concerns with where they were going to sleep at night. I just usually think about how I'm feeling around 3 PM, and see what is coming up for a place to rest. Some days, I would keep going until it was nearly dark, and things worked out pretty well.

I travelled with an "emergency blanket," which I used for something to sit on, take naps on, etc. It was extremely light, and I remember using it more than once for a great rest in a field somewhere, or along a path when I felt like it. It could have gotten me through a night if I had needed it to! In that event, I would have slept fully clothed, and tucked myself securely into a little hidden place (one in which I would not get urinated on by a night hiker, ha ha!). That was something that crossed my mind :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My pack is currently full of 'fear' almost 10 kgs of it ! The worst and also the heaviest is my gortex jacket at 875gms .
It's one fear I just can't conquer , the thought of freezing wind and rain compels me to carry it . I wish I could just believe that the Camino will provide good weather .

@jo webber your pack is very light and you sound like you have thought of everything. Coming from Arizona I get that you are worried about cold. I just walked my second 2 week section of the Via de la Plata these last two weeks and the temperatures ranged from 95f to a nip of frost one night. I hate being cold more than anything, it scares me. I have a 45f down bag which I supplement with blankets if there are any, and my little fear buster is a pair of thermal leggings that fit under trousers and can be worn in bed.

@Charles Zammit I too am a Goretex jacket and pack liner person, I just cannot abide ponchos. A poncho flaps in the wind and does not keep you warm. If your jacket makes you happy, take it. Just try to keep your overall pack weight under 10kg including water. What's in it is your own business!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you SO much for your post, Jo Weber. I am leaving in 10 days and I am definitely in the "I'm sure I'm not bringing the right things, etc." phase (relieved that there is an official "Overanalysis" stage of Camino anticipation) and am trying to restrain myself from making those last minute impulse purchases. :)

I tell myself all of the things that others have posted above....sage advise, for sure. I guess I just have to acknowledge these nagging little worries, honor them as natural, and make a place for them in my pack (that way they are at least out of my mind) :)

One question: I bought an inexpensive, lightweight down throw from Eddie Bauer. Should I treat it with Permethrin?? I could put it in a spray bottle...I cringe to think of soaking it in such noxious stuff? Thoughts?

Thanks all!
Sue

"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well."
~Julian of Norwich (1342-1416)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I read this so differently, despite the title of the thread.

I would just say that if you can put everything in your pack on and still move around, you are probably packed lightly enough! In the very early spring of last year, my 32-L pack was about 11 pounds without water.

Considering your bodily needs is a good way to pack--but when you consider your vanity wants (little this, little that, speakers, tons of tech stuff, your favorite t shirt although you already have a light merino wool t shirt), that's out of control.

Honestly, I am not going to read up through the posts again, but you will have access to a variety of purchases, and also many pilgrims out there are incredibly generous--will give you the clothes off their bodies!--if you need help.

Fears are just amplified worries, and a worry is just an amplified concern given to a need. It is fine to consider needs, as far as I'm concerned, but remember that other than food or shelter, and a good pack and good shoes or boots, you probably need less than you think you do.

One more thing: take the "s" off of most of the thing(s) on your packing list. You can't wear two wicking shirt(s) at the same time.

Good for you! being so open!! - when you get to Roncesvalles you will find, in the refugio in the hall outside the weird and heartless robot cafeteria (more suitable to an Orwellian image of a workers canteen), two long tables placed together. They will be piled high with discarded clothing, containers, hats, mattresses, make up, protein containers, books - an extraordinary eclectic collection of things - all discarded by pilgrims who have experienced walking just one day - you can leave all the stuff you didn't need on that table ;)

Sure, it is fear, and sure, it is normal for those who are not used to stepping out into something unknown and new ... that frontal brain of ours, the poor thing, it cries out for certainty ... so it chatters away and tells you all the things that you need to make it feel safe about the future ... but here is the thing - the essence of the Camino is uncertainty .. of surrendering to that daily uncertainty .. and after just a short while the relief is palpable ... everything is alright!! ... it is easy .. just walk west and stop when tired - that is it - you don't need all those safety blankets, not at all - but you won't know that until you have been doing that pilgrim thing for a little while - then you will know - then you will discard, and then you will know no fear - so indeed, All is Well!

Buen Camino ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
David. This has touched my core. This is the stone I carry and hope to toss away at the right time. Sincerely, and truly I am thankful for your words.

I love this thread!
I have wanted to do camino for four years and r cetn,y my daughter 22 agreed to do it with me before her final year of college.
Inthe weeks since i have me,tdowns and days of terror, but still return to i need to do this.
I have many fears, heat iin july, no room in the inn, food( i am vegetarian), the unkown. But i am convinced God will provide on the camino and i too will let me fears behind

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
Hola!! In need of some ideas. I'm needing to fill in some time and was wondering, what city/town/village/small village would you spend an extra day/night in and why? Or, someplace special to stay...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back