• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing Revisited 2016: What NOT to take and etc.

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
For my first Camino Frances, I had purchased a 32 L pack, which does prohibit one from taking too much gear. Here's what I took:

Toiletry
small anti perspirant
toothbrush and paste
Lush soap: for all washing, clothes and body
tissues

Medical
a largish first aid kit, including prescription meds
body glide for blister prevention
moleskin just in case of severe blisters
ibuprofen 800's - 20

Clothing
three pair merino wool socks
one pair compression socks -- knee high
one pair bright red crocs
tights (purchased en route in Leon)
two bras/ three underwear: lost one of each, just laundry-line issues
extra bra purchased in Leon
Hiking skirt
Two pair merino shorts (super light--good for warmth in November--great for skirt wear and sleeping)
Long hiking pants (usually wearing)
Long merino underwear (usually wearing)
One light long-sleeved shirt
One short sleeve merino wool shirt
One very warm merino wool shirt
Fleece for night time comfort
Light rain jacket
Altus rain poncho

Additional
Sun cream, which I lost nearly immediately
Hat, which I hated but wore bc of no sun cream
Sunglasses, a necessity
Clip with flashlight, whistle
pocket knife, which I did not need
charger and adapter for smart phone
guidebook
Teva sandals--so heavy, do NOT ever take these again....

JUST UNDER 8 kilos....and as you can see, NOTHING extra!

I also carried at least a half liter of water, sometimes more, and some chocolate. Picked up cool rocks too, ha ha!

I had a sleeping bag, but I shipped it forward to Ivar later--as it was so warm. I came to regret that decision later, following O Cebreiro. I also need to mention that a kilo of pack weight includes Teva sandals purchased when I had a foot issue and thought I'd need them---which I did not. I carried them though!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This year I am taking a 32 liter pack as well.
Moleskin
Basic toiletries
Knife
1 Change of clothes
3 prs underwear
2 bras
3 pairs smartwool socks
Tevas
Poncho
gloves
sticks
Hat
sleeping bag
Pack of cards
Boom. Done.

This year (boots on the trail 1 month from tomorrow!!) I am taking a just under 30 liter pack (extra short). Last time unless I was going to and from the airport carrying my boots in the pack, my 38-ish L pack was only 65-75% full.

Wearing Macabi skirt with compression shorts, short sleeved tech t, WrightSocks, undies, bra, Keen Mid boots (minimum config and same as last time)
Basic toiletries and a tiny bit of first aid (only dif this time is solid shampoo and conditioner)
Basic electronics (what I consider basic and what you consider basic I am sure don't match!!) Same as last time
Change of clothes (1 other short sleeved shirt, 1 long sleeved) Same as last time
Light weight black skirt for Madrid - added
Underwear (2 spare) Same as last time
1 pair base layer very light leggings - added for early April
1 crappy nylon bra (I can go without) Same as last time
WrightSocks (wear one, 2 spare) Same as last time
Keen CNX sandals (night time) Same as last time
Ultralight goretex rain jacket (rather than the water resistant shell from last time)
Very light weight fleece jacket Same as last time
Hiking poles Same as last time
Sunglasses Same as last time (I need them no matter what direction the sun is coming from)
Buff instead of sun hat
12.5 oz Sleeping bag plus liner Same as last time (too hot to use the bag last time)
Seat pad for terrible uncomfortable Delta Airlines seats Same as last time
Water bottles rather than Platypus bladder system
Tech towel Same as last time
Paro, lighter one than last year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This year (boots on the trail 1 month from tomorrow!!) I am taking a just under 30 liter pack (extra short). Last time unless I was going to and from the airport carrying my boots in the pack, my 38-ish L pack was only 65-75% full.

Wearing Macabi skirt with compression shorts, short sleeved tech t, WrightSocks, undies, bra, Keen Mid boots (minimum config and same as last time)
Basic toiletries and a tiny bit of first aid (only dif this time is solid shampoo and conditioner)
Basic electronics (what I consider basic and what you consider basic I am sure don't match!!) Same as last time
Change of clothes (1 other short sleeved shirt, 1 long sleeved) Same as last time
Ultralight goretex rain jacket (rather than the water resistant shell from last time)
Sunglasses Same as last time (I need them no matter what direction the sun is coming from)
Buff instead of sun hat
12.5 oz Sleeping bag plus liner Same as last time (too hot to use the bag last time)

It is great to have a good collection of tried and true "same as the last time" items. I did not wear my skirt last time as much, so I've decided to leave it behind. I do like having something shorter, so I have some good shorts I'll take (they are good hiking pants with zip on and off legs, but I might leave the leg parts behind).

So, if people could say what month they are going it would be helpful.... thanks. I am having trouble deciding on outer layers for June 4th start. I know in upstate ny june can be pretty cold in the first 2 weeks. Hiking through the pyrenees at that time might be cold. I know I will warm up quick walking but should I take a fleece for evenings? Windbreaker and poncho or rain jacket? Not lugging rain pants around. Everything else is an easy decision. One change clothes etc. But outer layers, aggghhh. The only consulation is I can send things ahead, home or leave them in the free box.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, if people could say what month they are going it would be helpful.... thanks. I am having trouble deciding on outer layers for June 4th start. I know in upstate ny june can be pretty cold in the first 2 weeks. Hiking through the pyrenees at that time might be cold. I know I will warm up quick walking but should I take a fleece for evenings? Windbreaker and poncho or rain jacket? Not lugging rain pants around. Everything else is an easy decision. One change clothes etc. But outer layers, aggghhh. ...

We walked May - July last year and had a couple of wet, cold June days. We carried long sleeve shirt, fleece jacket, light rain coat, light rain pants, and a warm fleece hat -- this combination worked well and I was glad for the warm fleece hat.

...so I have some good shorts I'll take (they are good hiking pants with zip on and off legs, but I might leave the leg parts behind).
I wore the shorts from my convertible pants exactly one time last trip. So not even bringing them this time. I need to sell those plus the other two pair I bought and still have the tags on!

So, if people could say what month they are going it would be helpful.... thanks. I am having trouble deciding on outer layers for June 4th start. I know in upstate ny june can be pretty cold in the first 2 weeks. Hiking through the pyrenees at that time might be cold. I know I will warm up quick walking but should I take a fleece for evenings? Windbreaker and poncho or rain jacket? Not lugging rain pants around. Everything else is an easy decision. One change clothes etc. But outer layers, aggghhh. The only consulation is I can send things ahead, home or leave them in the free box.
Lots of debate and recommendations in other threads on the outer layer discussion (windbreakers, ponchos, rain jackets, umbrellas). You can find them by selecting the appropriate tag on the main forum pate.

A fleece for evenings or early morning starts is prudent if you tend to get cold.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is great to have a good collection of tried and true "same as the last time" items. I did not wear my skirt last time as much, so I've decided to leave it behind. I do like having something shorter, so I have some good shorts I'll take (they are good hiking pants with zip on and off legs, but I might leave the leg parts behind).
Or take matching pairs of pants so that you can use a single pair of legs interchangeably. That way you have them if you need them, but still get some weight savings.

Or take matching pairs of pants so that you can use a single pair of legs interchangeably. That way you have them if you need them, but still get some weight savings.
I like wearing my blue zip on's with tan uppers it make me unique

I started the thread, and I walked from Oct 1 - Nov 10th 2015.

Under my forum photo, it notes that, and also that I am going back in about eight days--15 March - 5 April.

So, I'm packing for any and all weather, including snow, rain, and wind.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lots of debate and recommendations in other threads on the outer layer discussion (windbreakers, ponchos, rain jackets, umbrellas). You can find them by selecting the appropriate tag on the main forum pate.

A fleece for evenings or early morning starts is prudent if you tend to get cold.[/QUOTE

True, I've read all the debates and am confused and a lot of people don't say what time of year they went. I will take my fleece. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For my first Camino Frances, I had purchased a 32 L pack, which does prohibit one from taking too much gear. Here's what I took:

Toiletry
small anti perspirant
toothbrush and paste
tissues

Medical
ibuprofen 800's - 20

Clothing
Hiking skirt
Two pair merino shorts (super light--good for warmth in November--great for skirt wear and sleeping)
Light rain jacket
Altus rain poncho

Additional
Sunglasses, a necessity
guidebook

I also carried at least a half liter of water, sometimes more, and some chocolate. Picked up cool rocks too, ha ha!

I had a sleeping bag, but I shipped it forward to Ivar later--as it was so warm. I came to regret that decision later, following O Cebreiro. I also need to mention that a kilo of pack weight includes Teva sandals purchased when I had a foot issue and thought I'd need them---which I did not. I carried them though!

wow!thats a lot of clothing
zzote

Last edited:
Referencing time of year is most helpful when discussing gear. Last July, and following a few days of experimenting, I came on a system of leaving that night's albergue with pant legs zipped on. This was to reduce the amount of time my very fair skin was exposed to the sun. Then, later in the day, I would zip them off to allow for cooling. I always waited as long as possible to avoid sunburns. I prefer covering up to sunscreen (only applying regularly to face, neck and back of my hands). I was normally on the trail for 10+ hours and this system worked well.

So, if people could say what month they are going it would be helpful.... I know I will warm up quick walking but should I take a fleece for evenings? Windbreaker and poncho or rain jacket? .
In JulyAugust on the CF I take a fleece (for evenings or mornings) and a poncho.
In cold months (admittedly not on the CF but cold is cold, right?) I add merino long-sleeve top and leggings and a windbreaker.
(Also now in all seasons I take a buff)
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
wow!thats a lot of clothing
zzote

To put it in perspective, there were some days when I wore most of the pants and shirts at once! It was pretty cold in November.

Also, in cold weather, things don't dry as quickly, so I might be wearing two shirts and have one drying off the pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you to everyone. Great timing for me as I start in a month and like many another newbie have been feeling more confused than enlightened by combing past threads. It would be great if a 'what to pack' thread was a regular monthly feature attuned to the time of year.

Thank you to everyone. Great timing for me as I start in a month and like many another newbie have been feeling more confused than enlightened by combing past threads. It would be great if a 'what to pack' thread was a regular monthly feature attuned to the time of year.

Hi Lachance,
It's confusing to read the threads on 'what to pack' because we are all so different. Apart from feeling the cold/heat differently we also differ in our budgets, the weight we are prepared to carry etc etc etc
If you add to this the unpredictable weather, well....! :D
The only 'sure' thing (for me) is : layers.
Buen camino preparations :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Lachance,
It's confusing to read the threads on 'what to pack' because we are all so different. Apart from feeling the cold/heat differently we also differ in our budgets, the weight we are prepared to carry etc etc etc
If you add to this the unpredictable weather, well....! :D
The only 'sure' thing (for me) is : layers.
Buen camino preparations :)
Very true. It is an intractable problem! The perfect packing list, given all the relevant qualifiers, exists where all things perfect do. But I very much appreciate the wealth of information generously contributed by so many on this forum. And amidst the confusion, there are gems. Only this week, I read someone's brilliant suggestion of wearing a cap with visor under the rain jacket hood. I could quote many more on all sorts of Camino related topics. These are the gold. Stuff about brands etc might be helpful in the moment, but always subjective and too soon out-dated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To put it in perspective, there were some days when I wore most of the pants and shirts at once! It was pretty cold in November.

Also, in cold weather, things don't dry as quickly, so I might be wearing two shirts and have one drying off the pack.

now makes sense :)
zzotte

Pareo is how we see it most commonly in the US. Lots of words out there have similar but not identical spellings from region to region.
color / colour
grey / gray
traveler / traveller
fiber / fibre

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I ment to reply to your earlier post March to April, take a bigger pack! That way you can pack home a good bottle of wine! For real take a bigger pack for warm/dry stuff

K--

It was cold and wet in October and November on occasions, for sure--but I like my 32L pack! I wish I could justify a purchase, but just don't feel that I can.

Now that I am under a month until boots hit the trail, I need to actually see if the things I don't yet have in my much smaller pack actually fit!!! Missing right now are my bathroom bag/first aid, small bag with things like chargers, eyeglass case and my down bag. If there is some room on top, I'll pack my hiking boots there. If not they go in my "Personal Items Bag". (both bags will be carry on)

Toiletry
small anti perspirant
toothbrush and paste
tissues

Medical
ibuprofen 800's - 20

Clothing
Hiking skirt
Light rain jacket
Altus rain poncho

Additional
Sunglasses, a necessity
guidebook

Thank you!! I have packed my bag minus the toiletries... And my hiking sandles vs crocs just in case my require them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buff instead of sun hat
Nice. Thank you I start cf from SJPDP on 2 April

Nice. Thank you I start cf from SJPDP on 2 April
I start in Burgos on the 7th so we probably won't see each other. Buen Camino from the Tri-Cities WA!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I liked using 'camping suds' instead of a soap or shampoo bar for laundry. MEC sells it for about $5. It comes in a 125 ml ( if I recall correctly) soft plastic leakproof bottle and works very well .... Anyone else used this ?

I start in Burgos on the 7th so we probably won't see each other. Buen Camino from the Tri-Cities WA!!
Starting in SJPP on April 28th with 4 others
Who met on a forum. I plan on being in Burgos
on the 10th with friend. Hi from Bellingham
& Bow-Edison WA!
Buen Camino
Patty

I'm starting on May 2nd and am still working to get my pack weight down. This kind of thread is very helpful! But I agree -- what works for one person may not fit for another. The trick is to figure out what I can simply do without and not later regret it! I know I can carry a 20 pound pack, but why carry that much if I don't have to? With the miles we're walking I know my body will thank me for every pound I can eliminate!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I liked using 'camping suds' instead of a soap or shampoo bar for laundry. MEC sells it for about $5. It comes in a 125 ml ( if I recall correctly) soft plastic leakproof bottle and works very well .... Anyone else used this ?
I've used it but not on the camino. Weren't you araid of leakage issues with this soap? Did you transfer it into a travel bottle?

GreatDane, what is a buff ? Different language here in down under.
Also why water bottle over Platypus ? I was thinking of one litre SIG, with one litre platypus as the backup for longer stretches (like the first day).
I leave SJPDP April 25th, first Camino, very excited ! Am still deciding on sleeping bag due to weight .... have my sheet and using their blankets, will this not be enough ?

Hi from Bellingham
& Bow-Edison WA! Buen Camino Patty
Ages ago (like 35+ years ago) we used to stop at a restaurant on the corner/intersection of Bow-Edison road. I love Skagit and Watcom counties. My Dad was born in Mt Vernon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've used it but not on the camino. Weren't you araid of leakage issues with this soap? Did you transfer it into a travel bottle?

'Guaranteed not to leak' is what it says on the bottle, which is made by Nalgene. Took one along in 2014 and had no trouble what so ever . . .

Cheers and Buen Camino !

P.

'Guaranteed not to leak' is what it says on the bottle, which is made by Nalgene. Took one along in 2014 and had no trouble what so ever . . .

Cheers and Buen Camino !

P.
I use Dr. Bronners's soap. Same concept has Camp Suds and others. But, I always put liquids in a ziplock, just in case.

Buen Camino

Also why water bottle over Platypus ? I was thinking of one litre SIG, with one litre platypus as the backup for longer stretches (like the first day).
I leave SJPDP April 25th, first Camino, very excited ! Am still deciding on sleeping bag due to weight .... have my sheet and using their blankets, will this not be enough ?

We leave April 26th from SJPdP, but we are breaking up our first day with a stop in Orisson. We may end up crossing paths sometime along the way.

I am bringing a sleeping bag and not counting on using their blankets. But, I tend to sleep cold. What I have learned on this forum is that it is all a matter of personal preference. If you sleep warm, then you may be fine. The weather can also be unpredictable this time of year - we may have a beautiful day full of sunshine, but we could also encounter snow and rain on the day out of France. If it is a really cold night, I will just be wearing all my clothes to keep warm.

I am not bringing a water bottle (hard plastic) but bringing a 1 liter bottle that is collapsible that will fit in the side pocket of my pack with a tube system. I will buy a water bottle there as my back up supply when needed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hubby and I are leaving the SJPP on the same day. :)

Hi Barb & Hubby,
That's great to know. My aim on the Sunday will be to get over my jet lag before heading off. Let's stay in touch and maybe if it suits we could meet up the night before ?
Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in SJPDP for a good nights sleep ?
Katie

A Buff (brand name) is a tube of fabric that can be worn as a hat or a headband or a neckwarmer. It comes in lots of patterns and they also make them with UV protection and/or insect repellent.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And Buff's are available everywhere on the Camino - often free because someone has left it behind.

Katie A. Feel free to PM me when you get to SJPP. We are staying at Gite Ultreia. Can't recommend it though since we haven't stayed there before. We are only going to Orrison on the first day. How about you?

I like to stay warm too but dont like to carry much. When I got cold, I just took out my lightweight down sleeping bag and put it over my shoulders. Worked great.

Dang. Two weeks from tomorrow I walk out of Burgos so tonight I thought I'd better pack my Osprey Talon 33L (31L in my size) at 100%, including my boots (wearing Keen CNX on plane) and BD Zpoles in a packing tube inside my pack. Everything fits lovely but that is not the problem. Adjusted like it should be it was not 100% comfortable. Repacked and readjusted it about 4 times. Went into the guest/yarn/Camino storage room and grabbed my old friend Mammut (Crea Lite 40L). Packed everything in it and had that same extra empty 10L space on top, kind of wide looking load, put it on and you guessed it. It was like being hugged by an old Camino friend. Even though it really doesn't really fit exactly as it should, I'm thinking Mammut needs my Om and Camino patches transferred to it.

I am now in the second guessing everything mode. Crud. When I was planning on April on the meseta I looked up average high and low temps. I've trained with all sorts of layer combo's here at home. Then I go and read Annie's spring packing list and I think, do I need one more layer???? After all she's the extremely experienced peregrina here not me. I pretty much am packing everything she is except that one more layer - an ultralight puff jacket. If it ends up snowing my max layers are 1 short sleeved T, 1 long sleeved T, 1 100 weight fleece jacket and my goretex rain jacket along with a wool buff, a fleece hat and my fleece mittens. I doubt I can buy another layer halfway between no where!!!

My list was same layers as yours plus a silky type camisole, as I was walking in Summer AND winter. It worked fine.

...I am now in the second guessing everything mode. Crud....
You're cracking me up because, I've been there of course! I finally figured my way out of that mindset (for a while, anyway) with this...I have now purchased enough hiking, camping, backpacking, wicking, quick-dry, lightweight, wool, polyester and nylon clothing for every season there is. I have it all laid out and I'm HOPING that I'll do one weather check the week before and another a few days before leaving until I make the final decision and see which clothes make the cut. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

"What Not To Take..."For my first Camino (3.5 weeks Portuguese, May/June 2016), I would have left behind many ounces of liquids. For example: 3 liquid oz of sunscreen (not necessary, as I had a stick of Banana Boat), 3 liquid oz of skin/hair oil (one ounce would have been plenty!), 3 ounces of toothpaste (2 would have done).

Indispensable last minute idea and item taken???...a super lightweight Sarong/Pareo! This served me well: blanket, bunk curtain, after shower towel/clothing, scarf (see my profile pic), top, skirt, blanket, headrag, knee wrap, sun block, photo stand-in and so much more!

Pareo/Sarong...don't leave home without it! ;)

20160608_203907.jpg
IMG_0842.JPG
20160605_152129.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.