• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing Tip

• Thread starter Deleted member 397
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 397

I found this piece of advice on the Eurovia web site. It makes a lot of sense.I'm not quite sure why people take their shampoo,soap, toothpaste etc from home(especially give the current airline restrictions) when you can actually buy such things in Spain.

"It’s amazing how much money you can save, if you try to carry TOO LITTLE and then buy the necessary things on site. Because it costs much more money to throw away good equipment or send it home".

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
toiletries

deoderant comes in 1/2 sizes. for hair shampoo i take half bar of a shampoo bar. toothpaste, is the little trail sizes. as you say if i need more, lots stores.
d

I found this product that washes dishes,shampoos,washes clothes-and moisturises! Funnily enough female friends I showed this to were horrified.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
soap

Is it Dr. Bronners Magic Soaps. I tried the peppermint flavor, very invigorating, as tooth paste it was disgusting. I staying with the regular soaps. it is a liquid so it is heavy too.
dawn

one product

Omar, I agree, I'm all for simplicity and am only taking one product that washes me, my hair and clothes, i.e. SOAP.

P.S. I'm old enough to remember when *everyone* used bars of soap to wash their clothes (before detergents and machines) and I've since found that soapy lather washes hair perfectly adequately if you're travelling. Not sure I'd use it for dishes though . . .

Dawn
No it's not a toothpaste too-but that would really make for an all purpose product. It's a product from Kathmandu (originally a NZ company and widely available in OZ). It comes in a 90ml bottle so is ok to take on planes.
Like Windeatt I too remember bars of shampoo soap-people seem to forget that shampoos,dishwashing liquid and soaps are basically all the same thing-detergent.
My other trick is to have a number 1 haircut

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, for those of us that do not live in an euro-based economy :( , it is cheaper to buy supplies at home. It really isn't all that much to worry about carrying it in your luggage on the flight to Spain.

Inevitably, when I run out of things on the Caminos, I buy the following:

1. a bar of "Lagarto" soap, slice it, and take one slice with me, leaving the rest at an albergue. "Lagarto" is an all purpose Spanish soap, I use it as a body + hair soap combo.

2. a small plastic tube of a Spanish dry deodorant called "Billy's."

3. fill up a small plastic bag with washing machine detergent for washing clothes.

4. toothbrush/paste.

That's it...methinks... :roll:

At one point I thought of coming up with my own line of deodorants, was gonna call them "Botafumeiros' 8) ," but nothing ever came out of it.

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm

Toiletries

Not a bad idea! Body-fumerios.
Maybe Br David could start a new line with bars of soap with a shell imprint in it!

(And perhaps a line of deodorants with the fragrance of pilgrim sweat for those who don't actually walk but would like easy access to the albergues? )

I used to use a coal tar soap for hair and washing years ago. Very distinctive smell, which I liked, although many people thought it smelled like dog soap. I must say I never had fleas but did have overwhelming urges to chase cats.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
...But then I wonder if in the end what to carry or not on the Caminos may be a matter of individual needs. For ex, meds for pilgrims that need them could represent extra weight, sun protection for others, too. On my first Camino, upon arriving at the albergue in Grañon, I was diagnosed with tendinitis on my right knee by a kind nurse. You have no idea how many things I got rid of, a thick book, among others :!: The word has been passed to new pilgrims, take as less things as possible.

xm

Actually, Sil, :), we know that the botafumeiros was used as what may now be considered :eek: a mass dedorant for the times. We may want to include this antecedent :i on the "Body-fumeiros'" line of soaps/deodorants :!: "

xm

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mass Deodorant! - lovely.
If the new soap was malliable could make ear plugs out of it at night ...

Back in the - oh I don't know - in the Merchant Navy, we used to shower in our underwear (yes, only soap then and I used coal tar too) then take it off and tread on it like treading grapes as we carried on showering. When we'd finmished a quick rinse and wring and - voila! instant clean underwear - no, really.

dawn what shampoo bar do you use? that was my plan too, however i bought a green one by burt's bees but it didn't lather and left my hair feeling weird...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"...a line of deodorants with the fragrance of pilgrim sweat for those who don't actually walk but would like easy access to the albergues..."

:) :) Sil, wonder if that would keep "turigrinos" away :!:

Abrazos 8)

xm

Buena, I bought the shampoo/body soap bar offered by JR Liggett & it made my hair feel goopy. When my hair dried, it stuck together. What I've decided to do about shampoo is clean out my supply of hotel shampoos & soaps. Small bottles, easily tossed when used. :)

dg

shampoo

Buena, my friend owns a herb farm and makes a shampoo bar. i take half. i would check health food stores. this is a much lighter option than taking liquids.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Soaps et al

In my youth (oh, about 100 years ago!) we all used an orangy-red soap called Lifeboy for bathing and hair and a bright green soap called Sunlight to washing everything else.
(If you want to hear a couple of the 'olde' adverts, tune in to:
http://www.powerwriting.com/old-time-ra ... cials.html)

One tip for your bars of soap that my old granny taught us: Take off the wrappers and let them dry out. They last much longer that way.

shampoo bars

There is a company in the US called "LUSH" that makes handmade natural bath products. On their website they have a whole buch of different shampoo bars. Haven't tried it yet, and they are not so cheap, but I'm intruiged.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: shampoo bars

LaurenE said:
There is a company in the US called "LUSH" that makes handmade natural bath products. On their website they have a whole buch of different shampoo bars. Haven't tried it yet, and they are not so cheap, but I'm intruiged.

I've been using Lush shampoo and conditioner (solid bars). Kewl products, strongly recommend. They also sell little tin boxes for the shampoo and conditioner bars. Found them really handy on my previous Camino.

thanks! I think I'll have to try these....can the shampoo bar really double as body soap and for washing clothes? They actually have a shop in my area so I'll have to stop in.

soap

Want to save on shampoo (and lices)? Shave your head. As for soap, Brazilian coconut soap bar has not match!
Liberp

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
for those who have used LUSH, how long might a bar last? if used just as shampoo, and if used for shampoo and clothes? is one bar enough for a month long camino?

Buena; I just purchased a shampoo bar from Lush, was told it would last 60-80 washes so my guess is that it will last for your trip.

It is suppose to work great on clothes as well!

Lora said:
Buena; I just purchased a shampoo bar from Lush, was told it would last 60-80 washes so my guess is that it will last for your trip.

It is suppose to work great on clothes as well!

Haven't used it for washing clothes. However, in my case (a short hair, daily wash) the estimate of 60-80 washes sounds really low. I mean, after about 50 washes the bar still had about two thirds left.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One bottle of shower gel will wash you and your clothes. You've the benefit of having a closed container, so... Well, just another of my personal preferences (won't ever try to brush my teeth with it, though)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back