• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing

clearskiescamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to mention...
Guys
Not long to go now, less than two weeks.
Just a quick question. Last time around I was packing my sleeping bag at the bottom of my rucksack along with my sandals to the side of it.
Afterwards I put in items depending on often I would use them. Would this be the suggested way of doing so?

Thanks
David

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Packing

FWIW, I would put clothes and sleeping bag etc at the bottom (helps to keep them dry if you have no raincover,) then sandals - which you will need to change into on arrival at most albergues, then rain jacket/poncho/rainpants at the top....

A selection of Camino Jewellery

clearskies said:
My sleeping bad might be a tad too big but too late to change it now.
If you are carrying more than about 1kg of sleeping bag/liner/stuff sack, it is probably too big. A good semi-rectangular +5degC down bag would be about 900gm, a mummy bag under 500gm. Much more than that, and you will be carrying a lot of extra weight. Cheaper synthetic filled bags are available that might be a bit heavier for the same performance.

It's the way I did it and although I carried a hybrid pack I still ended up largely repacking it each morning (but that's perhaps more to do with my over keen sense or order than absolute necessity!).

Next time I'll be walking in winter with slightly more gear and so I'm hoping to strap the sleeping bag to the outside of the pack...but have yet to look into the practicalities of this, especially to keep it water tight should it rain.

Packs often have straps on the bottom. I use mine for the cheap ground pad. My sleeping bag when rolled into it's compression sack is way too small to be used with the straps. An older style bag would be okay with the pack bottom straps.

Personally I'd suggest putting things in the pack to balance weight etc. The other thing is how many access points does your pack have? Even at the very bottom of the pack you may be able to access things from side openings.

The other thing you'll have items you want or even need to access while walking. If it starts raining and your rain gear is at the bottom of the pack :roll:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re: Re: Packing

clearskies said:
Cheers!
My sleeping bad might be a tad too big but too late to change it now.
David

Hey David,

My meru ultralight sleeping bag weighs 700g for the long version and has a comfort zone temperature of 10 degrees celsius. It fits perfectly into the bottom of my Deuter ACT Trail 32 and even provides some room to spare for an inflatable pillow widthwise. Have you got a compression bag to stow your sleeping bag in? Could be a good idea if not. Both the sleeping bag and backpack have been treated against bed bugs.

Cheers,

Miles

... the kautchuk flip-flops I forgot to mention will be attached to the outside of the pack via mini double ended carabiners which weigh nearly nothing. Frees up valuable space in the pack for other essential items.
The beauty of this pack is that it feels like sitting in a racing harness and you can get directly into the bottom of the pack if you need to via a zip flap. The rain pants go in the outside compartment and the wolfskin jacket right near the top inside for quick access.

Thanks guys
I've been asleep as the thread progressed :)
Yes I have the sleeping bag in a compression sack and over all it is just under the size of soccer ball (or football) I don't have any side pockets that give me access to the bag itself unfortunately. I don't believe the sleeping back weights more than 900g but it's awkward when I place it in the backpack. I have my sandals, one to each side. I then am placing non essential items above them in stuff sacks. And rain gear etc on top.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.