• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing

Ilatum

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Camino Frances
I need advice regarding clothing !
I am walking the Frances end April to June
I am from a hot Australia
I hope to carry my load so need to pack light
I am taking ( apart from normal socks underware)
1 lightweight down bag and liner
2x walking pants
2x merino T shirts
1 lightweight fleece
1 lightweight merino
1 poncho

The next 2 items I am in two minds wether to take or not
- another long sleeve light exofficio hiking shirt for walking on hot sun days and also for layering if cold
-light merino thermal tights

SHOULD I TAKE ??
Advice appreciated šŸ™‚

A selection of Camino Jewellery
2x walking pants
2x merino T shirts
1 lightweight fleece
1 lightweight merino
1 poncho

- another long sleeve light exofficio hiking shirt for walking on hot sun days and also for layering if cold

SHOULD I TAKE ??
Advice appreciated šŸ™‚
Hi! If you usually cover up from the sun then yes, take the long sleeve shirt.
What I wouldnā€™t take is the sleeping bag liner as well as the sleeping bag. I used to but I now only take it if camping outside.
Light merino tights.... Iā€™ll leave it to other people who have walked the Camino francĆ©s at the same time as you - Iā€™ve only walked it in Summer.... I do use them in colder weather though ...
Iā€™ll tell you what Iā€™d do (what I actually do! šŸ˜) : weigh everything and if it still comes under 5 kgs, I take it šŸ˜‰

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi LLatum, I would take both. You may not ever need them, but April and May can be unpredictable. Iā€™ve been warm and cold. When I walked the Frances from 2 April to 5 May, I used my hiking shirt and tights many times.

The thing on you list I would think about is your sleeping bag. How lightweight is it? The albergues are heated. When I walked with a bag rate to just below freezing, I was hot. It was a problem because I liked to sleep in my bag for privacy. I have started walking with a travel bag rated to 50 degrees F.

Buen Camino,

Liz B

@Ilatum
Iā€™d definitely take the tights. It can get chilly at night in higher areas (good for sleeping in). Although bag and liner is a good plan /carrying both adds weight. Iā€™d leave the liner at home and wear extra clothes to bed if u get too cold.
I canā€™t understand one thing on your list ;1 lightweight merino ?). Merino what ? (Teddy bear) Youā€™re not trying to carry your own sheep ?
Just kidding.
Have fun planning and buen camino
Annie

Hi LLatum, I would take both. You may not ever need them, but April and May can be unpredictable. Iā€™ve been warm and cold. When I walked the Frances from 2 April to 5 May, I used my hiking shirt and tights many times.

The thing on you list I would think about is your sleeping bag. How lightweight is it? The albergues are heated. When I walked with a bag rate to just below freezing, I was hot. It was a problem because I liked to sleep in my bag for privacy. I have started walking with a travel bag rated to 50 degrees F.

Buen Camino,

Liz B
My bag is about 450g and rated 50 def F - maybe I should leave my silk inner and just take the bag ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
@Ilatum
Iā€™d definitely take the tights. It can get chilly at night in higher areas (good for sleeping in). Although bag and liner is a good plan /carrying both adds weight. Iā€™d leave the liner at home and wear extra clothes to bed if u get too cold.
I canā€™t understand one thing on your list ;1 lightweight merino ?). Merino what ? (Teddy bear) Youā€™re not trying to carry your own sheep ?
Just kidding.
Have fun planning and buen camino
Annie
Haha - yes thin long sleeve lightweight merino sheep ( top)
Iā€™m thinking I will leave my silk inner then
Thanks

My bag is about 450g and rated 50 def F - maybe I should leave my silk inner and just take the bag ?
Take the bag (not the liner)....I have used a light weight bag (light quilt on top, sheet on the bottom) as well as a liner...which I ditched several caminos ago, and have not missed it). I am an old lady who likes her creature comforts and on the Camino FrancƩs blankets are common (not ALWAYS) but if you are cold, you can always put on more clothing...those merino sweaters are brilliant. The weather is always unpredictable in the Spring (no guarantees for the rest of the year) and you can never prepare for every eventuality. Be flexible sez I...

Haha - yes thin long sleeve lightweight merino sheep ( top)
Iā€™m thinking I will leave my silk inner then
Thanks
I donā€™t think youā€™ll need both.
Just re-Reading your initial post / youā€™ll be walking the CF in mostly May and June. The bag is a comfort if itā€™s cold and you can zip it up. If you find it too hot you can always unzip and leave your feet out etc. many would go with just the liner but for myself I prefer to have the warmth when/if I need it. So comforting having your ā€˜ownā€™ snuggly bag.
Btw. I would take your long sleeve shirt as sometimes it is better having a sun cover for your arms if itā€™s too warm for your long sleeve fleece and if eating out at night ., itā€™s a good stand by.
Annie

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always walk in mid April through May and am glad I bring my lightweight sleeping bag. I have brought merino wool tights for added warmth "just in case" but have never used them, so now leave them at home.

2x walking pants
2x merino T shirts
1 lightweight fleece
1 lightweight merino
1 poncho

SHOULD I TAKE ??
Advice appreciated šŸ™‚

Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack. Besides it being used during the Fall on the Camino last year, it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  6. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  7. Extra insoles x 1
  8. Poncho --- Frogg Toggs
  9. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds.

For wear, it is a pair of running shorts with liner, a pair of Smartwool socks, and a long sleeve synthetic shirt (I use an REI Sahara crew neck).

No short sleeves. The long sleeves help keep the skin cooler and burn free on warm/hot days in direct sun; and their worth in cooler temps is obvious. If I want to shorten the sleeves, I just hike them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Planning what to pack is always fun ;)
I have walked 3 x CFs at the same time as you are planning.
This is what I take. One year there was only 1 day I had rain, another day maybe 20.
I'm still refining it, but not sure I can get the weight down much more.
The various layers work well. Never been cold or wet.
And use everything I take.

packing list.jpg

2x walking pants
2x merino T shirts
1 lightweight fleece
1 lightweight merino
1 poncho

SHOULD I TAKE ??
Advice appreciated šŸ™‚

You're basically planning on 4 shirts?
I just take 2 long sleeved. (light Merino) The sleeves roll up ;)
I never take short sleeves. If it's cold they are ........ too cold.
If it's really hot, I need the sleeves to avoid sunburn.

This is what I take. One year there was only 1 day I had rain, another day maybe 20.

View attachment 68483
Love your list Robo. Any chance youā€™d bring it (ie your list +Backpack with items /not interested in your clothing and underwear) but the rest intrigues me) to the feb Sydney pilgrims meeting so we could ask more questions?

Annie

Love your list Robo. Any chance youā€™d bring it (ie your list +Backpack with items /not interested in your clothing and underwear) but the rest intrigues me) to the feb Sydney pilgrims meeting so we could ask more questions?

Annie

When is it?

When is it?
Hi
Always first Saturday of every month. Still midday at cheers bar. George st Sydney..
So next meeting is Saturday Feb 1st.

Hope you can get there. Iā€™m very interested in a few of your items and Iā€™m flying out March 1-
(Your charger , water system/tube & hipsta clips in particular).
Annie

Hi
Always first Saturday of every month. Still midday at cheers bar. George st Sydney..
So next meeting is Saturday Feb 1st.

Hope you can get there. Iā€™m very interested in a few of your items and Iā€™m flying out March 1-
(Your charger , water system/tube & hipsta clips in particular).
Annie

Ah OK. Will try to make it.
This is the water system.
These clips https://www.hipsta.com.au/product/hipsta-bare-water-and-bottle-holder/
This is the Hose I use. But there are lots on Amazon.
The charger is just a regular powerbank. Small one. Gives me almost one phone charge just as a 'top up'. I go through the phone battery quickly as I record video, audio, use GPS etc.
I loved my old Galaxy Note 3 phone. I just pulled off the back cover and swapped the battery!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-

Annie

Annie

View attachment 68483
wow fantastic list - you are very organised - thanks for that !

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
2x walking pants
2x merino T shirts
1 lightweight fleece
1 lightweight merino
1 poncho

SHOULD I TAKE ??
Advice appreciated šŸ™‚
Yes. Both. And useful to sleep in too on cold nights.

View attachment 68483
Hello, Thank you for posting this. I found your weight as packing spreadsheet very helpful. I cannot however find a way to copy and paste it to either a Word or Excel document using traditional methods. Do you mind if I use this as a template? Thanks,
Scott

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2x walking pants
2x merino T shirts
1 lightweight fleece
1 lightweight merino
1 poncho

SHOULD I TAKE ??
Advice appreciated šŸ™‚
Take what you think you'll need with the expectation that you might leave it behind. That's why you don't take a $100 item when a $30 one will do.

2x walking pants
2x merino T shirts
1 lightweight fleece
1 lightweight merino
1 poncho

I will focus on what's in the pack and assume you are from Hobart.

Top layers - 4 in total - Spring to Summer:mad:Il
130 g - 1 x short sleeve merino (and wear one)
150 g - 1 x long sleeve merino
330 g - 1 x rain / wind coat - hood to below knees and over pack

One change of sox/hose and underwear.

Wash every two days so each wash has time to dry.

The fleece you mention, of course, will be the one you have shorn from your own sheep.

I feel the cold early in the mornings, so I carry light weight microfibre gloves and a merino skull cap (total less than 100 g).

I find getting going early (about sunrise) is the best way to get and stay warm. I expect my routine on camino to be different from when at home. For my current trip (Via Francigena) my pack weighs under 7.5 kg all up including water, 10" tablet, camera and a kitchen sink. Remove the two person tent, pegs, sleep pad and emergency food and its just on 6 kg, ready for a start anywhere between Le Puy and Sarria.

I think it was Einstein who said something like "keep things as simple as possible, but no simpler."

@Ilatum , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Hello!

Potentially unpopular opinion here; I only brought one 'set' of walking clothes. I see a lot of people listing '2xwalking pants' and '2xwalking shirts' so I feel like I should weigh in with my experience. Obviously to each their own, you do you!
Just wanting to plant the seed of an idea to consider; I only had one designated 'walking shirt' and one 'walking shorts' (I had multiples of underwear and socks)- I washed them when they needed it, and I had time to wash them every day if I really wanted to. My 'non-walking' bottoms were pants, and once or twice I started my day walking in my pants due to the cold, but nearly always switched to my shorts after an hour or 2.

Just a thought to consider!

Buen Camino

2x walking pants
2x merino T shirts
1 lightweight fleece
1 lightweight merino
1 poncho

SHOULD I TAKE ??
Advice appreciated šŸ™‚
Ditch the tights - for the period you are walking they will not be needed. Remember to take flip-flops for the showers and getting around the albergues. Buen Camino.

Hello!

Potentially unpopular opinion here; I only brought one 'set' of walking clothes. I see a lot of people listing '2xwalking pants' and '2xwalking shirts' so I feel like I should weigh in with my experience. Obviously to each their own, you do you!
Just wanting to plant the seed of an idea to consider; I only had one designated 'walking shirt' and one 'walking shorts' (I had multiples of underwear and socks)- I washed them when they needed it, and I had time to wash them every day if I really wanted to. My 'non-walking' bottoms were pants, and once or twice I started my day walking in my pants due to the cold, but nearly always switched to my shorts after an hour or 2.

Just a thought to consider!

Buen Camino
That still amounts to two sets of clothes.

Are you me?!

Am taking my base generic kit that has got me through Larapinta in winter and Jatbula in wet season -

two sleeping bag liners, one thermal-ish and one silk
1x Icebreaker leggings (not really for the walk, but for the flight there and back or it is a particularly cold morning for under my skirt until too hot)
1 x Macabi skirt (haven't decided if the long or short one yet)
1 x Icebreaker Merino long sleeve with (coolite so it can be warmth layering or sun shading because I burn bright red as am a glow the dark white, white person)
1 icebreaker merino tee
1 icebreaker merino singlet (sleep or layering)
1 x pair mens Bonds cotton sleep shorts for mooching about and sleep
1 x Foggs Toggs poncho
2 x socks (2 injini, 1 x normal)
3 x undies (merino)
Bedrocks
Altras
Barmah
1x wool purple beanie with tassel, since it is home knit, its actually heavier than my shirts, but my ex-mother in law made it for me and I always hike in it so she can get a photo. I have carried the damn thing up and down so many mountains there is no good reason not to drag it across Spain . . .
1 x Turkish towel - triples as towel, privacy and sarong

May throw in a travel dress as I have a week in London post Camino.

Using a new (replacing my old one) 50 litre Osprey because I have a week in London and I plan to shop and the Camino is a fairly good walk to break in the pack before using it for a multi-night self sustain back in Aust.

I don't know the weight of all this, and the list does not include ancillaries. Never weighed my pack for any other walk so not going to start now. Generally when I buy the individual items, I go quality (so it lasts and lasts) and light.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
If you are washing your pants/shorts daily, do you really need underwear? If you are taking convertible pants, make them identical and only carry one set of legs. Snug fitting boxer briefs with a long inseam can look more like cycling shorts than underwear and can be worn without shorts/pants over them at the albergue, and even as you walk. My sleeping bag weighed less than a pound and was plenty warm; Sea to Summit, mummy shaped and had a silver exterior and yellow interior. I walked the CF from early September to mid October and was never cold. THE PACKA is perfect for rain gear or cooler weather. It fits like a jacket but has extra space on the back to go over your pack. No need to take anything off in order to put it on or take it off. If you are cool in the morning and want to put on your fleece jacket; put it on backwards. When you warm up you can pull your arms out of the sleeves without removing your pack. The shoulder straps will keep the garment in front of your chest, but your arms will be free.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Yes, or just take the liner. You can always wear your fleece to bed on colder nights and there's the frequent option of using a blanket provided by the albergue.
The albergues are for the most part very warm and dry, especially when filled with fellow pilgrims.

Yes, or just take the liner. You can always wear your fleece to bed on colder nights and there's the frequent option of using a blanket provided by the albergue.
The albergues are for the most part very warm and dry, especially when filled with fellow pilgrims.
What time of year did you go ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.