• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Padron Peppers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I loved the padron peppers when I was on the Camino. However, I live in a small town and have never seen them in the grocery store. Has anybody on the forum ever tried to grow them? If so, any pointers? What type of climate do you live in/
If you write the words Padron peppers in the blue box marked search at the top left of this forum page many earlier posts will appear.

For example here is an earlier post by forum member Scruffy1 re the distinctive taste of Padron peppers.

Happy research and good luck with any future crop.

Last edited:
Has anybody on the forum ever tried to grow them? If so, any pointers? What type of climate do you live in/
Yes, successfully. Wet, and cool nights warm days. But beware if it is hot and dry where you are, because then they will be more hot than not. Tried to grow them at a friend's place where it's hotter, drier...and there were plenty of peppers, but hoo boy.. 🌶! Even when small and green.

They are easy to grow from seed, though the seeds take a while to germinate.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In the UK we get them from Asda, probably other supermarkets stock them too.

In the UK we get them from Asda, probably other supermarkets stock them too.
In past years Lidl has also stocked them. A peregrina here on the forum sent me some seed and I now grow my own quite successfully here in west Wales in a polytunnel and outdoors against a south-facing wall. They seem to enjoy very similar growing conditions to tomatoes. As @VNwalking says the seeds do take a long time to germinate and initial growth is very slow.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've looked in US garden catalogs and have not found seeds for Padron peppers...which are not shishitos, at least as far as US catalogs are concerned.
When La Tienda gets them in and I can afford it, I get mine from there.

In Oregon, northwestern part of the US, we've grown small crops for the last four years. We are in a maritime growing zone and the plants need full sun and warm temps, around 80°F.
We usually only get a 1 in 10 hot one.
One year I got seeds through mail-order but the plants were not as successful as the starts I got from Portland Nursery.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bought seeds on Amazon and grow them in Maryland, USA. They are similar to shishito peppers which are more readily available both in the grocery store and as plants.

I loved the padron peppers when I was on the Camino. However, I live in a small town and have never seen them in the grocery store. Has anybody on the forum ever tried to grow them? If so, any pointers? What type of climate do you live in/
I get them in the states from tienda.com

I live in Florida, and it’s too hard for me to grow as most of them will be hot, due to climate.

The good news is that frozen Padron peppers are available all year round in Spain. I enjoyed them every day in November.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In past years Lidl has also stocked them. A peregrina here on the forum sent me some seed and I now grow my own quite successfully here in west Wales in a polytunnel and outdoors against a south-facing wall. They seem to enjoy very similar growing conditions to tomatoes. As @VNwalking says the seeds do take a long time to germinate and initial growth is very slow.
The peregrina who sent the seed bought the original seed in the market in Santiago. Bradypus was therefore growing the sixth or seventh generation of original seeds from Galicia. Not difficult to grow at all. In the UK (East Anglia) I start them off indoors and then grow some out of doors, and some in the greenhouse for a continuous supply.

I live in Iowa and have grown them for many years. I'm not sure if I bought the seeds in Spain or ordered them in the US. I start them from seeds 2 months ahead of planting them in May and I always end up with way more than I need. And as they say some are hot and some are not.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got some seeds home, planted them in my garden, harvested the hottest little peppers I've tried in a while. They grew HOT here at home. The flavor was there, but too hot for me. Must be the soil :)

I have grown them once , ordered two young plants from ornamental peppers .they do need protection from the cold. Pick them at about thumb size, fry in a little olive oil until they blister and use a little rock salt

We live in southern Ohio, in the USA.
We easily grow both Padron and Shishito peppers in the ground and in straw bales.
Seeds were obtained from Johnny's Seeds at
johnnysseeds.com

Be careful, as some are separated as known to be hot and some mild. As the phrase goes, Padron, some are hot, some are not.

Another source for all things peppers, is the New Mexico Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA.

cpi.nmsu.edu

The Shishito peppers are longer, maybe 7-10 cm , 2-4 inches, and generally mild, and cook, sauteed, and blistered much like the Galician Padrons.

You can also grow these peppers in containers, as well as cloth garden bags.

IF, you can keep the deer from eating them.

Pleasant growing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Late one night in 2013, on the del Norte somewhere in Galicia, 4 of us were starving but could only order padrones tapas (with vino tinto, of course). I put a small green pepper in my mouth but did not notice when a mean genie also poured in a spoonful of oil and touched a match to it. They say one in 30 in that region was hot. Mine was HOT, HOT, HOT. My wife prefers them to all other food in Spain but it took me many more Caminos before I dared try another one. Buen Camino but taste carefully before chewing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I live in the Southern part of the US and I planted a packet of Padron Peppers that I purchased in Padron. I ended up with 28 plants from one packet. They are now about 4 inches tall but it will still be a while before they begin to produce peppers.

They are called shishito peppers here. They taste the same and I love them too!!!

Thanks all, I will start with la tienda.com. Of course all of these suggestions, while helpful, are no substitute for enjoying them in person on the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I grow them here in Portugal. Each plant produces both hot and also sweet ones. Until you eat it you don't know which it is.

I only found out last year that the plants can live for a number of years simply by pruning them lightly in the Autumn. This year I have some from last year that I am just about to start harvesting and the new plants are only just starting to flower. Also the second year plants look to be going to have a much larger crop. Time will tell.

Thanks, all, especially those who mentioned Johnny's seeds. Somehow, my husband's catalogs didn't list them, but online did.

Probably too late for this year, but looking forward to next. I like getting the grown peppers from La Tienda, but I'd like to spend less money 💰

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have six Padron pepper plants growing now here in West Virginia. I have planted the seeds in pots every year since our first camino in 2015. Somehow seeds found their way into my backpack in Arzua! ;) It is a bit late to start them as they are slow growing. I save seeds every year to begin again indoors the following year. I just picked my first six peppers and hoping for a few more this weekend to enjoy with our new batch of homemade Spanish vermut. If you (or anyone else) is in the US, I would be happy to send some!

My local supermarket in the USA sells shishito peppers. As others have said, they are larger than Padron peppers (and paler), but have a similar taste. They advertise that one in 10 will be hot, and I can confirm. However, during two different caminos I have never experienced a hot Pimiento Padron.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have six Padron pepper plants growing now here in West Virginia. I have planted the seeds in pots every year since our first camino in 2015. Somehow seeds found their way into my backpack in Arzua! ;) It is a bit late to start them as they are slow growing. I save seeds every year to begin again indoors the following year. I just picked my first six peppers and hoping for a few more this weekend to enjoy with our new batch of homemade Spanish vermut. If you (or anyone else) is in the US, I would be happy to send some!
I would love to have some!

My local supermarket in the USA sells shishito peppers. As others have said, they are larger than Padron peppers (and paler), but have a similar taste. They advertise that one in 10 will be hot, and I can confirm. However, during two different caminos I have never experienced a hot Pimiento Padron.
I think you were lucky. I always seem to get the hot pepper when my husband and I are in Spain during Padron season. Out of season peppers are likely shishito or "Padrons" grown elsewhere. (and therefore not truly Padron peppers, as mine are not since they are grown here in the US).

I love Padron Peppers too. So this year I’ve grown some from seed. They’re not the easiest plants to start as they need a reasonable amount of heat to get them started, and they took an age to germinate.
But now, they’re growing and they’re about 15cm tall, and like gangly teenagers, they’re leggy and need to have the tops punched out. Keep them warm, we’ll fed with a high potash liquid feed, we grow ours in a polytunnel and they should reward you later in the year with enough fruits to give you a few meals to remember your Camino.

I love Padron Peppers too. So this year I’ve grown some from seed. They’re not the easiest plants to start as they need a reasonable amount of heat to get them started, and they took an age to germinate.
But now, they’re growing and they’re about 15cm tall, and like gangly teenagers, they’re leggy and need to have the tops punched out. Keep them warm, we’ll fed with a high potash liquid feed, we grow ours in a polytunnel and they should reward you later in the year with enough fruits to give you a few meals to remember your Camino.
My seeds germinate fairly quickly, and now are now starting to produce peppers. I start them shortly after the New Year holiday and transplant several times as they grow. They finally land in pots or planters with no special fertilizer and provide us with peppers all summer into the fall. We grow only enough for the two of us so no need for a polytunnel here, even with the short summer. We are looking forward to enjoying our first harvest this holiday weekend with some homemade vermut. 🌶️ 🍷 🥾 :)

I am not sure how to do the PM.
Find a post by the person you want to contact. Click on their username and then "Start conversation" from the pop-up menu

Or alternatively click on the envelope icon in the blue bar at the top of the forum pages, click on "Start a new conversation " and enter the username in the form which appears.

Last edited:
My seeds germinate fairly quickly, and now are now starting to produce peppers. I start them shortly after the New Year holiday and transplant several times as they grow. They finally land in pots or planters with no special fertilizer and provide us with peppers all summer into the fall. We grow only enough for the two of us so no need for a polytunnel here, even with the short summer. We are looking forward to enjoying our first harvest this holiday weekend with some homemade vermut. 🌶️ 🍷 🥾 :)

Find a post by the person you want to contact. Click on their username and then "Start conversation" from the pop-up menu

Or alternatively click on the envelope icon in the blue bar at the top of the forum pages, click on "Start a new conversation " and enter the username in the form which appears.
I send Wicked a message. I have never notices the envelope icon. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.