• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Padron stop off

Mark Roberts

Time of past OR future Camino
Last leg of Portuguese in May 2017
Hi

Looking for somewhere for a group of 8 to stop off beyond Padron, to shorter the last day's walk into Santiago.
Heading off mid May this year.
Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Mark

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stopped at the muni in Teo. I was amazed the next morning when I arrived in Santiago before noon. The guide I was using said it was 17km. The muni is large enough to handle your groups but be warned there are only 3 places to eat in Teo and 2 of them are a little pricey. The walk from there is primarily suburban and urban sprawl.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As mentioned above there is the Xunta Albergue in Teo about 14kms before SdC. It has 28 beds and the price is the standard 6 euros for Galician Municipal Albergues.

The other option is the Albergue la Calabaza in Faramello about 1km before Teo. It is a private albergue with 36 beds and price 12 euros. One advantage here because you need 8 beds is that you could book ahead, which you can't for the municipal albergues. Their phone number is 981 194 244.

I stayed at Albergue la Calabaza last September. It pretty much by itself with a very small selection of food and nowhere else to eat. I think I would opt for a different place next time.

Hotel Rosalia, Marixa Villanueva, S/N, Padron, 15900, tel: 0034981812490,
This is opposite the railway station, on outskirts of Padron.
Very reasonable, friendly & they will show you a shortcut towards the Camino.
Also fairly adjacent to the house/ museum of Rosalia de Castro, renoun poet and cheerleader for Gallego - worth a visit.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also fairly adjacent to the house/ museum of Rosalia de Castro, renoun poet and cheerleader for Gallego - worth a visit.
I also stayed at Hotel Rosalia and highly recommend it.

I agree with @musicman. The house / museum of Rosalia de Castro in Padron is really worth a visit.

After Padron, I stopped in Faramello and stayed at the Albergue la Calabeza. Had a lovely afternoon and evening there. A garden area in the back to relax and catch up on my journal. We had a very good dinner in the evening. Only thing to note is, a few of us went to sit in the garden after dinner. Trying to go back in around 9:30pm, we found the doors locked. It took a bit of banging on the door before someone let us in. There weren't any signs or indication from the hospitalero that the doors would be locked at a certain time. The next morning, trying to leave around 7:00am, the door was locked and we couldn't leave right away. So if you do stay there, ask the questions about entry and exit!

We also stayed at Teo.
Regarding eating..... if you go up the hill away from the albergue and cross the road there is a little place that served us a very small "salad" (nothing more than lettuce) and soggy fries for an exorbitant price.
But if you keep going up the hill and cross over the bridge (over the train track) and turn left you come to another noisy little bar where we had one of our best dinners! We four pilgrims were taken downstairs where it was quiet and were served fabulous seafood and other things. When we asked for the bill we were given a plate of little desserts - gratis!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another option is the Pension Glorioso in A Picarana, 10 km past Padron and, according to the official mile-marker just outside, 14.4 km from the cathedral at SdC (a three-hour hike, therefore, on the final day). I stayed there three weeks ago and found that it made a good jumping-off point for the last leg. It has quad rooms with four single beds apiece; they were advertising these for EUR 49 (hence, EUR 12.25 per head) when I was there. Very clean; nice en suite bathroom; good weef. Freezing cold in the winter-time, but that won't be a factor in May. Sello available.

The owners also run the adjacent bar, and were kindly and tolerant of my barbarous Spanish-plus-the-Italian-word-when-I-couldn't-think-of-the-Spanish-one. I gather that food is also available in the bar, but it didn't look great to me. There are a couple of restaurants across the road that are open quite late, and I obtained the standard menu peregrino at one of them. Unremarkable but perfectly fine.

You can depart as early as you like. Just pay in advance the previous night; leave the room key on the table in the hall; and pull the front door behind you.

Last edited:
Funny, I’m sitting at Hotel Rosalía now sipping cappuccino as I plan my day! Train station across road is a little too tempting!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back