• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paella

Caligal

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April 4- May 12, 2018
CF Sept 10-27 2019
CP Sept 28- Oct12 2019
C Finisterre Oct 16-Oct 20
So, I’m watching tv and commerical comes on for Ancestery DNA, the pie chart shows the guy to be 28% Spanish, the graphic is a waiter serving him one of those beauitful paellas I enjoyed on the Camino. I could eat one right now, if only!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a friend who is Colombian and makes the best Paella I have ever eaten -- or so I thought. Twice on the CF I had Paella to dream of; once at a golf course and once in a restaurant off the beaten track and better than my friend's.

I also had the worst Paella ever. Be aware of the Paella served in squares that is advertised on a sandwich board, along with pizza, etc., out front. It is frozen and it is awful.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a friend who is Colombian and makes the best Paella I have ever eaten -- or so I thought. Twice on the CF I had Paella to dream of; once at a golf course and once in a restaurant off the beaten track and better than my friend's.

I also had the worst Paella ever. Be aware of the Paella served in squares that is advertised on a sandwich board, along with pizza, etc., out front. It is frozen and it is awful.

Buen Camino
I agree - They taste like they came straight out of a box and amazingly - would just take 10 minutes to arrive at your table - that alone makes one very suspicious!

..... I look around carefully to check if there are any sophisticated foodies watching.:cool:;)
:D @C clearly, I do not consider myself a foodie by any stretch of the imagination, sophisticated or otherwise, but I know what paella can taste like, and the stuff I had in Los Arcos - even though I was very hungry - was extremely disappointing. But I admire you for being undemanding and grateful for what you got. A good pilgrim, you. :)

Buen Camino
Agree, the frozen pre-made paella fills the tummy, but nothing else.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found that the best paella were usuall served in truck stops for lunch, bright yellow with green peas, no chicken and often very little seafood, but hot and tastey and just what you and the other labourers need.

My most memorable paella was cooked on the banks of the river outside the alburgue in Najera, i had a forced rest day due to the state of my feet and got to soak my feet and watch them cook enormous paella for the pilgrims arriving that day, turns out the celebrate Scotts birthday (19 Sept) in a big way in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my opinion, the best paella on the Camino is served at Casa Barrunta in San Nicolas del Real Camino, smack in the middle of the Meseta. The hosts are native to Spain's rice region, and they know their stuff! There are several kinds to choose from.
It takes a while to make, it's not cheap, and you need at least two or three people to order one. But oooh, when they bring that big pan to the table...! Wow!

I have had and enjoyed sandwich-board paella. I look around carefully to check if there are any sophisticated foodies watching.:cool:;) Like frozen pizza and other prepared foods they can still "hit the spot" for a hungry pilgrim!
What DOESN"T hit the spot for a hungry pilgrim???

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In my opinion, the best paella on the Camino is served at Casa Barrunta in San Nicolas del Real Camino, smack in the middle of the Meseta. The hosts are native to Spain's rice region, and they know their stuff! There are several kinds to choose from.
It takes a while to make, it's not cheap, and you need at least two or three people to order one. But oooh, when they bring that big pan to the table...! Wow!

Yes. I always stop there, even though I have to often talk other pilgrims into stopping with me so we can order one!

After reading replies i would like to say my 2 favorite paellas were both as a communal meal one at El Alfar in Hornillos, the other Casa Rosalia in Castrojeriz and the place and people i shared it with was what made it soooo good!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes. I always stop there, even though I have to often talk other pilgrims into stopping with me so we can order one!
I just checked their website. They're open 6:00 - 10:00 with no mention of time out for siesta. So a visit any time of the day should work. I'll definitely keep that in mind for when I walk the meseta next time. And if I offer to treat, there should be no trouble finding one or two pilgrims to stop with me. Not so !?

Please tell me it is cooked with saffron ....:)

Do you know if it's possible to order paella without any meat? also, will it be very difficult for a vegan to eat on the do Costa trail?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Do you know if it's possible to order paella without any meat? also, will it be very difficult for a vegan to eat on the do Costa trail?

I've no idea to be honest, I know they make it fresh there though. As for being vegan on camino I know many vegans have walked the way and there are a few threads on this forum about it. Try a search and see what you come up with.

Best wishes
Davey

After reading replies i would like to say my 2 favorite paellas were both as a communal meal one at El Alfar in Hornillos, the other Casa Rosalia in Castrojeriz and the place and people i shared it with was what made it soooo good!
Yes, I stayed at Al Afar in Hornillos. That was a very lovely communal meal I had there and some good homemade paella.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Saffron isn't food coloring.

Right. Who said it was? The bright yellow color to frozen, pre-made paella comes from food coloring, not saffron. There are a bunch of things, not just the use of saffron, that distinguish paella from arroz con pollo. Two distinct dishes.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.