• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pajares to Campomanes elevation

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
9.3km into this section you can head up the hill and then wander along beautiful paths for a seemingly endless amount of time (maybe it seemed so long because we had eaten only a muesli bar for breakfast and were starving!) OR you can follow the national road. Looking on the map it seems to follow the river - does that mean it is also pretty flat? I ask because I remember the final descent into Campomanes (oh how I remember it - I had to walk back up it again to find socks my son had dropped and then down again!!!!) was exceptionally steep and I do not think my father-in-law would manage it. However, if the road path is undulating at most, I think he might be able to attempt the Salvador route (if we took ten days to do it!)
So does anyone have elevation details for that section? And is the route on the road or on a nearby path?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
the road path is pretty heavy too, and you have trucks roaring past your shoulder. There's another, less-used path (waymarked) that stays to the eastern side of the valley, it makes use of the highway toward the end, down into Fierros. It may be a bit more "undulating," but I recall it being damn steep in places, too... with cows walking loose! Once you get to Fierros you are on flat highway, following along the river valley, It is noisy and concrete underfoot and misery when you've had no coffee yet... but it gets you there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
An altimetry of the national road from Campomanes to Pajares pass can be found on this link (Pay attention to the point in the altimetry where it says Pto de Pajares because the full altimetry ends in Brañilín -out of the route for you-):

http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=330

P.S.: BTW, that web is a great web to look for altimetries of Spanish paved mountain passes and climbs.

Sounds like I should be satisfied with walking Pamplona to Leon with him! No point killing him when the purpose of the walk is to celebrate that he is alive after a near-deadly spinal infection!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.