• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Palencia Camino Cleanup 2014!

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
Think about joining us in Moratinos for the annual litter pickup effort the first week of December, 2014.

Stalwart souls will walk the length and breadth of Palencia Province (Puente Fitero to San Nicolas del Real Camino... and probably the rest of the way to Sahagun), picking up the trash along the Camino path. It is great exercise out in the fresh air, good for body and soul.

If time and labor force allow, we'll do a bit of the Camino de Madrid, too!
Housing and pickup car are supplied by Peaceable Kingdom and Albergue Hospital San Bruno in Moratinos.

You will have to get yourself here and away, but we can pick you up at the train station in Sahagun. Generous donors are asked each year to help us meet the food, fuel, and equipment expenses -- even if you cannot help with "boots on the ground," you can buy us a lunch or a pair of gloves!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A great chance to see the beautiful Meseta under its bright, crisp winter blanket. Sopa Castellana never tasted better!

I hope to make it over again this year. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A great chance to see the beautiful Meseta under its bright, crisp winter blanket. Sopa Castellana never tasted better!

I hope to make it over again this year. :)

Don't forget your flak jacket!:eek:

A very worthy cause. Unfortunately the worst litter on the Camino is the toilet paper behind every bush, monument and anywhere else that pilgrims think they can't be seen while they are doing a pee.

It is too bad that there is even a need for picking up litter. Especially toilet paper. Because the light opaque plastic bags (like the ones used for dog waste) are easy to carry along after use until a proper waste bin is available. I know that most of the folks on this forum would not leave trash on the ground, so I am preaching to the choir.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't forget your flak jacket!:eek:
Good idea, although 2 fleeces were a surprisingly good filter for shotgun pellets. Maybe one of those fencing masks for the face, though...

Unfortunately the worst litter on the Camino is the toilet paper...
In many places it is, and we don't touch toilet stuff. However at least that degrades quickly. We focus on the bottles, plastics etc. After we got rid of many years' accumulated mess in our first sweep, it's been easier to maintain and think about moving on to the Camino de Madrid.

I hope to join you this year tyrrek. I need some Meseta :)
Always good to meet other forum members! I just have to wait to hear about work before committing fully, but reckon I'll wangle it.

Wayfarer - I'm not sure of my dates. Is Dec 1st a Monday? I guess we'll assemble the weekend before. It's all quite informal.

The 1st of Dec. is indeed a Monday tyrrek. I removed my post as the question I asked had been answered in the OP. I should pay more attention or go to Spec Savers. :).
I hope this project gets loads of support both on the ground and with donations.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You guys rock!
We lost one of our biggest supporters this year, and generous folk are quickly filling the gap.
I am off to a seminar in Fromista at the end of the month, and will do a full filth survey while I am over at that end of the county. Because we've been over this ground five years now (!) the accumulated waste is not so terrible, at least between Carrion and here... (I live on the western end of Palencia province) but I am told the Leon border and west is pretty bad. We may have to shift our focus westward, eh?

OK! Well thats my flights booked. This years cunning plan is to take a train ride Madrid up to Burgos and have a few days walking ( and some light-hearted litter-picking / surveying) before I join the team and start the serious stuff :cool:

My flights and trains are sponsored by the Beloved and the Beautiful Boy. Apparently I've been looking miserable and hanging on the forum so its an early xmas present! "Hanging" - yoof-speak; meaning not entirely clear but may have an etymological root in hankering: a desire. I get to buy my own lunch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have three definites and three possibles, people-wise. Donations stand at just short of covering costs, thanks to some fine people. We get another nice infusion we can do some masonry repair work on the labyrinth and pilgrim monuments. I am talking with some people in the Fraternity Internacional about teaming up with the Japanese Amigos for a comprehensive, front-to-back cleanup program... film at 11!

I am talking with some people in the Fraternity Internacional about teaming up with the Japanese Amigos for a comprehensive, front-to-back cleanup program... film at 11!

That would be awesome. Keep us posted.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm unable to make it this year after all. I'm gutted. It's become one of the highlights of my year. :-(

I can't make it. I wish I could, but I send my best wishes and have sent a small donation.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good on you Tinca, I wish I was going too. I hope ye got the numbers and financial support needed for this very worthwhile project.

Buen Camino, Tincatinker! Good luck with the clear up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The news is: we have more than enough financial support, thanks to some wonderful people. The bags and gloves and reflective vests and even a new thermos flask for tea are all lined up. There's me and Tinka (all the way from UK) and Kathy, (all the way from San Francisco). Now if Bruno can help, there will be FOUR of us out there next week, doing the big job, and Patrick here at Peaceable, being sure all are fed and well-kept. Any last-minute people are welcome as well, and if you can't make it in person, you can pray for good weather!

The news is: we have more than enough financial support, thanks to some wonderful people. The bags and gloves and reflective vests and even a new thermos flask for tea are all lined up. There's me and Tinka (all the way from UK) and Kathy, (all the way from San Francisco). Now if Bruno can help, there will be FOUR of us out there next week, doing the big job, and Patrick here at Peaceable, being sure all are fed and well-kept. Any last-minute people are welcome as well, and if you can't make it in person, you can pray for good weather!
I'll send a petition via St Medard, who is apparently patron saint for protection against bad storms. Definitely a saint for all pilgrims to become acquainted with. :) God bless you all and your good work!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An up-date for all but especially those kind and generous sponsors who have helped to make it possible.

Reb, me and Bruno from Hospitales Bruno (unsolicited plug - great pizzas) in Moratinos have been making good progress. We've cleared about 35 big green bags of pilgrim (and local) rubbish from the trail and trail-side ditches. We have also cleared some pretty hardcore fly-tipped stuff like TV's, Computers and old carpet. We don't want that junk on the Camino either! In addition we have purged some of the picnic areas and done some maintenance on The Labyrinth and The Phil Wren memorial tree.The tree is flourishing.

Plenty more to do and, happily, more volunteer labour from tomorrow. The next few days will see us work from the Palencia border at Puente Itero through Boadilla and along the Senda and the riverside routes from Fromista, and sweep the alternative, forest, route between Caldadilla and Ledigos.

The weather has been mostly kindly, we've had wind, rain, sunshine even. The mud no more adhesive than is usual. The thistles in the ditches are probably best described as affectionate, even needy, they cling to us tightly and snuggle into socks.

Those who would have liked to be here but could not can still join us in spirit. Take a rubbish bag on your hike tomorrow and join the ditch-pigs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the update Tincatinker, and for all your hard work. Hope the weather stays reasonably kind for you!

Ditch-pig heros. A very noble beast IMO.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.