• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamploma

Has anyone started in Pamploma? What are the positives and negatives of starting there?

• Pamploma is a great place to start.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Pamploma isn't a good place to start the Camino.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vikita

Time of past OR future Camino
(May 27 /June (2017 - Hopefully)
Has anyone started in Pamploma? What are the pros and cons of this? I see that I can fly directly from t e U.S.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are no pros or cons to starting anywhere on the camino.

The factors are how much time you have, cost of transportation, and transportation access. Pamplona has good access by bus, rail, and air.

The other factor to consider is how you will get home from Santiago.

You avoid the initial strenuous challenges of hitting the Pyrenees on Day 1, but you also miss their stunning beauty.

If you are concerned about transport from Pamplona to Roncesvalles or SJPdP, there are countless threads on how to do it. Two minutes of searching will yield all kinds of options.

If you're concerned about your stamina and fitness in the early stages or have only about 30 days and want a cushion for rest days, then Pamplona might be a good place to start. Otherwise, take advantage of the beauty of Navarra and start in SJPdP or Roncesvalles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I started in Pamplona in 2014. We flew into Bilbao and took the bus to Pamplona. It was easy - there was a regular shuttle from Bilbao airport to the bus station, and from the station a short wait to the bus to Pamplona. We stayed at a hotel close to the University, because I saw that was close to the Camino and also close to the border of town, so we wouldn't have to walk as much through the city streets. I can't explain how exhilarting it was to just walk out of your hotel and start walking. We thought it would be an easier start to the Camino rather than walking the mountains right off, but mostly it was convenient to get from Bilbao to Pamplona, which was right on the Camino, and we could start walking. After meeting people on the road who had started in St. Jean, we knew we wanted to go back and do that route someday. Which we are doing this year. So, my answer would be yes, Pamplona is a nice place to start the Camino. You have to go over a hill that first day, but it isn't too bad, and beautiful scenery too.

Pamplona would be a great place to start for pilgrims with less time to walk, or for just anyone that doesn't necessarily want to deal with the logistics of getting to SJPdP. You wouldn't be selling yourself short walking the CF starting in Pamplona.
You can fly into Madrid from the US arriving early enough in the morning to catch the ALSA bus right outside terminal 4 and be in Pamplona by the afternoon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Vikita - I will be starting from Pamplona this fall. My wife started in SJPdP last year. From what I can tell, the pros/cons have been pretty much listed. However, if you read these boards enough, the one thing I come back to is this...it is YOUR camino. The right place for you to start is where you are called to do so.

I was getting caught up in the SJPdP starting point. Until that I remember a sign I saw on the Lutheran church in Rothenberg, Germany stating that it was a stop on the Camino. That is when it hit me that there is no right or wrong place to start.

You can fly into Pamplona, however from the US that leaves you pretty much flying on the BA/US Air/Iberian network. If you bus/train in from other towns you will find a lot more options.

I flew from LAX to Pamplona with a short stopover in Madrid on Iberia.

The factors are how much time you have, cost of transportation, and transportation access. Pamplona has good access by bus, rail, and air.

We started after much bad weather getting good a bus to pamplona get a taxi through the town to the cizar menor have a lovely pilgrims lunch at the round about....you'll need it up hill from there but after that the view's all along are stunning ..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and I started in Pamplona in 2014. We flew into Bilbao and took the bus to Pamplona. It was easy - there was a regular shuttle from Bilbao airport to the bus station, and from the station a short wait to the bus to Pamplona. We stayed at a hotel close to the University, because I saw that was close to the Camino and also close to the border of town, so we wouldn't have to walk as much through the city streets. I can't explain how exhilarting it was to just walk out of your hotel and start walking. We thought it would be an easier start to the Camino rather than walking the mountains right off, but mostly it was convenient to get from Bilbao to Pamplona, which was right on the Camino, and we could start walking. After meeting people on the road who had started in St. Jean, we knew we wanted to go back and do that route someday. Which we are doing this year. So, my answer would be yes, Pamplona is a nice place to start the Camino. You have to go over a hill that first day, but it isn't too bad, and beautiful scenery too.
Can you give me the name of the hotel where you stayed in Pamplona? This is great! I

We started after much bad weather getting good a bus to pamplona get a taxi through the town to the cizar menor have a lovely pilgrims lunch at the round about....you'll need it up hill from there but after that the view's all along are stunning ..

How did you get home from Santiago?

How did you get home from Santiago?

I took Renfe train to Madrid with intention of staying a few days. (I didn't buy a ticket till last minute ... and could have gone to London from Santiago) I flew from Madrid to London Gatwick with Easy Jet. National Express bus to London Heathrow where I spent the night. Then London Heathrow to Vancouver YVR.

Santiago has an airport with flights to Madrid, Barcelona, London, Dublin, and ~seasonally~ Paris. See Aena Santiago website for destinations and service providers.

Renfe train connects Santiago to all of Spain including border crossings at Irun/Hendaye and Barcelona/Toulouse. SNCF trains connect to all of France.

ALSA provides bus service to Madrid and other locations in Spain.

Monbus provides bus service to Vigo. Autna provides bus service from Vigo to Porto. Rede Expressos provides bus service from Porto to Lisboa.

CP trains connect Vigo to Porto and Porto to the rest of Portugal esp. Lisboa.

Lots of options.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Has anyone started in Pamploma? What are the pros and cons of this? I see that I can fly directly from t e U.S.
I started in Pamplona. It was right for me with my fitness level and the amount of time I had to walk. No regrets... no physical problems or injuries... I have accepted at age 70 there are still many things that I can do but also that I have some limitations. I stayed at Hotel Eslava for an extra night -- wanted to see Pamplona and also have a day to get over jet lag.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back