• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona Accommodation - my experiences.

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
TRINIDAD de ARRE ALBERGUE - I have included this as the Albergue is only two hours walk from Pamplona allowing our party to attend morning Mass at the Cathedral in Pamplona the following day.
The Albergue is situated on the right directly after the large bridge.
Traditional Albergue with plenty of bunk beds , clean and tidy ,at a cheap price. The Facilities were adequate , this included a fair size kitchen with cooking facilities and large dining area.The hospitalero put on the heating when we arrived.There are a number of Supermecardos close by. There is a wonderfull walled garden within the Albergue.

CASA PADERBORN. After crossing the bridge , turn left and walk along the river front - Albergue on the left.
A smaller Albergue run by friendly German folk so if you are German , this is a must. I have spent a few nights here. It is a traditional Albergue with bunk beds. Reasoably priced , tidy and clean. There are no Kitchen facilities although the Hospitaleros do offer a basic breakfast for a few euros.It is a 15 minute walk to the centre of the OLD TOWN.A good option for those who do not want to share with 100+ other pilgrims in town.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
ALBERGUE DE PEREGRINOS DE JESUS Y MARIA.
In the middle of the OLD TOWN one block away from The Cathedral.(The Cathedral is currently under renovation and may seem closed. As you look at the front , walk to the left and enter at the side. Mass and services continue as normal)
A super large Albergue with almost all facilites one can imagine. Pilgrims pay a few euros more for compulsory pillow case and sheets.Bunk beds each with power point and light , washing machines, dryers , internet. Showers and loos are perhaps not enough when the Albergue is full.There is a fully equiped kitchen with dining area - modern and clean.
The Albergue shuts its doors at 23h00 which allows pilgrims the opportuinity of eating at one of the many restraurants in town.

CAFE IRUNA - This is one of my all time favorites so I thought I would throw this in. Set in the main Square of the OLD TOWN , this Restaurant serves a great menu del dia. You may have to wait for a table.

PENSION ESCARAY - calle Nuvo close to Plaza de San Fransisco in the OLD TOWN.
IF you want a room to yourself , then this is the best value for money in town. The family run Pension offers single and double rooms. Bathrooms and loos are shared.I have stayed here countless times. The Pension is clean and tidy , the Senora is friendly.There is no Kitchen , laundry or lounge.There are many rooms - If you do not like The first room that you have been shown , ask to see another.

I have encountered bed bugs both times at Jesus and Maria, most recently in October, 2010. One was feeding on my arm while I took an afternoon siesta, rendering moot my permethrin-treated sleeping bag! The albergue is now run by an association that provides employment for the disabled. The personnel are very friendly and accommodating, but their pest control is not working.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi i was at the Jesus y maria on the 29th October, virtually everyone i was walking with got bed bugs from there, this was despite a notice saying that on the 13th october the albergue had been fumagated. Part of the problem is that no one from the staff side tells any of the pilgrims not to dump all their stuff on to ther beds, its our problem as well we should have the common sense not do it but it happens, i think in many cases people dont realise.
Its a pity really because the hostal seemed so nice in many other ways.

I was hospitalero at Guacelmo in Rabanal during the last two weeks of September. We had a very strict protocol to apply to all who checked in with us. We asked them if they had, or thought that they had been victims of bed bugs, we showed them pictures of both the bugs (enlarged) and the result of bites on a person's arm. We heard of several reports of them having been bitten at the Alberge Jesus y María in Pamplona. In fact we got to know by reports, which of the albergues had been having problems. Anyone who had recent bites was treated. (I won't go into details, but it was quite a proceedure). Also we accompanied each pilgrim to the dormitory and upon choosing a bed, insisted that they did not put their bag pack on the bed at any moment. They were also supplied with a disposible matress cover, which again, I insisted that they covered their matress before doing anything else!
Anne

Bless you, Annakappa, and any hospitalero who is interested enough to do this!

The little nuns at Leon were vigilant when I was there my first Camino... and it paid off.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
AArgh!!! We are planning on staying at Jesus y Maria in May next year. It is one of our three 'traditional' albergues. Can one buy the disposable mattress covers in Pamplona? Javier - are you there?

Hola Javier!!
¿Podemos comprar desechables fundas de colchones en Pamplona?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
They supply the disposable sheets and pillow covers. It does not do much good! Treat you own equipment with permethrin to prevent hitchhikers.

I want to buy some anyway. I'll take along a small tin of Bayticol which is what we use here when we go hiking in the Game Reserves to prevent ticks from hitching a ride on our clothing!

Bayticol:

Method of Administration
Apply BAYTICOL Pour-on evenly along mid-line of back from front of shoulder to tail base using a drench gun or dosemeter.

Dosage
Calf Up to 200 kg b.w. 20 ml Yearling 200 to 300 kg b.w. 30 ml Adult 300 to 400 kg b.w. 40 ml Heavy Adults Over 400 kg b.w. 50 ml ; Tick control/ cattle dip concentration 30 ppm dilution rate 1:2000 Mange control/sheep/goats concentration 50 ppm dilution rate 1:1200

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not a calf! Not a yearling! I am an adult but don't weigh 400kg!! And, I would hate to be dipped in the stuff.
Think I'll just stick to the aerosol can that we use to srpay our socks and clothing!

Hi Sil,
A lot can happen between now and next year. I may have been lucky as I stayed at Jesús y María in July and didn't have any problems with the little critters. As Falcon mentioned the E6,- includes disposible sheet and pillow case.

Did hear about Grañon though. In fact slept there the same night as 2 fellow pilgrims who came down with quite a bad rash. Was glad that I had some anti-histamines to help them out. I have never seen blisters so large - quite nasty looking!

Maybe stupid or naive but I chose not to spray my clothes or equipment.
Cheers,
LT

there is some degree of paranoia out there re: bedbugs.
I ate watermelon this summer. It often gives me a rash. And in the evening when we sat down in a camino restaurant near here, the owner asked me if I was staying there. He wanted to fumigate my backpack, as I "obviously" had bedbugs!

No chinches here, thank God. Just dogs.

Reb.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought that I would just revive this old thread as an answer to a recent request for accommodation in Pamplona.
Most of my advice is still quite up to date but I may add that there are some newer albergues that have opened up although they do seem to be a lot more expensive.

I thought that I would just revive this old thread as an answer to a recent request for accommodation in Pamplona.
Most of my advice is still quite up to date but I may add that there are some newer albergues that have opened up although they do seem to be a lot more expensive.

Renshaw , enjoy a red whilst you read ,
Flight delayed , arrive at Pamplona late afternoon a day and half behind schedule.....might as well start here.
Booked into Pension Escarey , always have [ 3 ocassions] as it includes our surname.
*Restless* sleep because of jet lag , first room on right near washrooms........shower used by others , lights turned off.
I look at watch , shows 6.00 , might as well start , will have a short day and stop in Obanos...get dressed, wash my teeth and off .
Everybody is nodding as i walk towards park and ring road ..its dark
Offered coffee by a least 20 restaurants , thats kid of them but no thanks.
Get to outskirts.......still dark , then i saw "The Sign" Renshaw
**Farmacia*** and on the sign in full colour was.............******* 12.30 am and 18c [ August ]
Yes old mate........12.30 am
OMG you bloody idiot , the restaurants were closing not opening for breakfast and the watch was bloody midnight .

Walked back to Nueva and got to the front door of Escarey...........you can't ring now at this hour i keep hearing.
So i did the right thing and it ended up a wonderful experience
********I went next door to.... Hotel Maisonnave -Posada del Camino and explained what had occurred.
Amongst the laughter and shift changeover my pack was placed in security , there is the computer in the foyer feel free to use and please join the lounge chairs and relax. Was offered a shower at 6.00am , given fruit for breakfast , sweets for Alto and wished Bon Camino by all the kitchen and office staff........with much laughter.
They were beautiful people and i will never walk pass or stay anywhere except this place when in Pamplona.
And Renshaw the pilgrims were saved from a very noisy guest returning @1am.

Last edited:
............ then i saw "The Sign" Renshaw
**Farmacia*** and on the sign in full colour was.............******* 12.30 am and 18c [ August ]
Yes old mate........12.30 am
OMG you bloody idiot , the restaurants were closing not opening for breakfast and the watch was bloody midnight .
MATEY! You've made my day. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
CASA PADERBORN. After crossing the bridge , turn left and walk along the river front - Albergue on the left. A smaller Albergue run by friendly German folk so if you are German , this is a must. I have spent a few nights here. It is a traditional Albergue with bunk beds. Reasoably priced , tidy and clean. There are no Kitchen facilities although the Hospitaleros do offer a basic breakfast for a few euros.It is a 15 minute walk to the centre of the OLD TOWN.A good option for those who do not want to share with 100+ other pilgrims in town.
No need to be German to appreciate the Casa Paderborn warm hospitality and when it comes to tidyness, German thoroughness is a virtue.
As far as breakfast is concerned, it took me an entire Camino to realise that of all albergues it was the best. Home-made jams, decent coffee, a variety of tea's, cheeses and egg's for the asking. Stayed there twice, both times I took me only 5 min. to return from old town.....admitedly I had to run real fast in order to catch closing time (10:00pm) :D

Booked into Pension Escarey , always have [ 3 ocassions] as it includes our surname.
*Restless* sleep because of jet lag , first room on right near washrooms........shower used by others , lights turned off.
I'll share a little secret with you ............ the single room back right is the best.
aaa pension-escaray.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So funny Renshaw! That almost happened to me but luckily I wasn't out the door when I realised I was all packed and dressed and it was 1 am.
Jetlag!!!

Thank you Renshaw, good to know this is still accurate. Pension Escaray sounds like what I am looking for.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2009 we started in Lourdes and walked to Pamplona - over the Alto del Perdon, against the flow of pilgrims heading West. BY the time we had walked through the outskirts of Pamplona we couldn't bear the thought of another albergue so we booked into the Maisonnwave. Wonderful hotel and lovely people.

Attachments

• 368859.jpg
    368859.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 8
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.