• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona Burger King health warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oztrekker

Time of past OR future Camino
I started in st jean and am currently in leon. My foot is blistered after my boots wore out.

Have completed many long distance treks longest is 1000 km, bibulmun track.
The burger king presents a health risk to pilgrims.

Not from the food it is delicious but from the seating.

They have a nasty thim foam bar that protudes from this ninety degree frame. It pushes midway into your spine making it bend in an unnatural way.

One of my vetebra moved and it was painful. It took a days rest and a 1500m freestyle swim to click back in.

I have no idea why burger king makes these seatings so hard and damaging on your back.

I was waiting for the aubergue to open using wifi. Probably around an hour before i heard a click and pain.

The bk is in a great location for pilgrims to wait for the municipal so be warned and careful.

Oz

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bacon boccadillos rule. Starbucks, is terrible coffee. Never had a good coffee from there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You will only be able to avoid Burger King on the Camino Frances in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada, and Santiago. It is not a big-growth food operation in Spain (for obvious reasons, to me). ;)

You will have to go to Madrid or Barcelona to avoid Starbucks. They have NO stores along the Camino! :):):)

Wow news to me, they even had American heart attack food. I will stick to the good old fashioned blood sausage for my valve blockage.

Trying to walk from that must hurt, but the responses seem to be focusing on BK. Next time you want a burger wait until you get about 300 m before Herrerias just before the bridge. There is a real nice hostel there with a chef, who makes a real burger that will energize you up to O'Cebreiro. Kind of a fancy place but if you are stinky from the walk they have a great outside area. Oh yeah you can rent a horse in that area as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Obviously there are several sides to this story. Firstly BK in Spain? I think there are much better options to keep yourself fed and watered. However, that is just my personal opinion, and I would not judge anyone on what they prefer. Don't we all at times crave certain things we know? I think there is nothing wrong with doing what your body is telling you to do, especially when doing such strenuous exercise over so many days as walking the Camino. Secondly, I hope that the original poster is able to continue his/her Camino without much further problems. He/she must be quite a fit person in any case, as swimming 1500 meters is certainly not an easy thing to do.

So, I wish a Buen Camino to Oztrekker and I hope all is going well for the rest of your Camino.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about your back, hope the problem clears up quickly.

It’s totally not cool to say this but stopping off at McDonalds was one of the things I really enjoyed whilst cycling though France. Almost every big city has it’s out of town drive through. To me this meant proper clean toilets with paper and soap which implied a good wash (I am still surprised how many hole in the floor squat public toilets I encounted in France). It was really easy to park my bike, I could sit outside in the evening for as long as I wanted having spent very little, there was free wi-fi that worked, the food was cheap, you get beer with your burger, I did not have to struggle to speak French and could order via a machine. The food was laden with salt and fat but it was just what my body craved….

I’m not proud of myself for enoying this experience but sometimes, when I was tired, hungry and alone, the easyness, the cheapness and the free working wi-fi made at stop at McDonalds (even if just for a drink) seem like heaven!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The burger king presents a health risk to pilgrims.
They have a nasty thim foam bar that protudes from this ninety degree frame. It pushes midway into your spine making it bend in an unnatural way.

One of my vetebra moved and it was painful. It took a days rest and a 1500m freestyle swim to click back in.
Oz

Ouch! I hurt my back about a year ago and couldn't even go to work for about 3 days. It was miserable, and I was at home with my wife taking care of me. I hope you have no more issues on your Camino.

Good call on the swim, too. Using different muscles can do wonders. An afternoon of biking around Burgos really helped my legs after weeks of walking.

Why on earth would anyone go to the Burger King? There are some great places with much better food close to Jesus y Maria. I love my bacon and egg boccadillas for breakfast around 10am.

I could tell you about the time in Alicante when I ordered a salad. The salad came looking exactly as pictured in the menu. All sorts of vegetables. Except that the attractive looking salad was merely a covering. Most of it was iceberg lettuce. 5 Euros later and feeling ripped off ... I went on to the local Burger King and ate another much more satisfying meal. I dined there frequently during my stay at Alicante. At least you know what you are getting before you put your money down.

Reactions: Hal
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would rather not spend all that money flying to Spain, walk about 500 miles, hop on a train for several hours, only to degrade myself by eating at Burger King. It's just too sad.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't even eat that poisonous garbage here in the US.
Unhealthy junk food. Not our proudest export or contribution to the world.
On Tuesday the FDA gave the USA food industry 3 years to eliminate trans fats. Go FDA!

Obviously there are several sides to this story. Firstly BK in Spain? I think there are much better options to keep yourself fed and watered. However, that is just my personal opinion, and I would not judge anyone on what they prefer. Don't we all at times crave certain things we know? I think there is nothing wrong with doing what your body is telling you to do, especially when doing such strenuous exercise over so many days as walking the Camino. Secondly, I hope that the original poster is able to continue his/her Camino without much further problems. He/she must be quite a fit person in any case, as swimming 1500 meters is certainly not an easy thing to do.

So, I wish a Buen Camino to Oztrekker and I hope all is going well for the rest of your Camino.

What's the fish and chips situation in Spain? Do they have tom sauce (ketchup) for the bacon bocadillas?

........... a great location for pilgrims to wait for the municipal so be warned and careful.
Oz
It is such a pity that the traditional coffee shop next door closed - fantastic tortilla ..........when I firt saw BK had crept in to that square I could have wept!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love going into the garden with a salt shaker and pulling a big red tomato off the vine, full of sunshine, and eating it right there with the bees buzzing around me and birds soaring over my head. Mother Nature incarnate.
I have also hidden Big Mac boxes inside three layers of bags so no one will know I had one. Sigh.

I love going into the garden with a salt shaker and pulling a big red tomato off the vine, full of sunshine, and eating it right there with the bees buzzing around me and birds soaring over my head. Mother Nature incarnate.
I have also hidden Big Mac boxes inside three layers of bags so no one will know I had one. Sigh.
The salt is the hidden killer Col- my vice as well. I remember walking though the Maseta once craving that same fresh tomatoe .......with salt.:)

It is such a pity that the traditional coffee shop next door closed - fantastic tortilla ..........when I firt saw BK had crept in to that square I could have wept!

I guess you are talking about the Iruñazarra. If so, you must know that it is open again after two years. Different owners and a different style, but I think they still keep the pintxo's spirit the former had got.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I guess you are talking about the Iruñazarra. If so, you must know that it is open again after two years. Different owners and a different style, but I think they still keep the pintxo's spirit the former had got.
Yaaaay - down with bk , up the new guys next door - I will certainly be visitig them - thanx for the good news Pa.

Try to taste it with chopped garlic and a drop of a fine olive oil. :)

What's the fish and chips situation in Spain? Do they have tom sauce (ketchup) for the bacon bocadillas?
The deep fried fish is generally cod of the frozen square fish variety and the chips are famously very soggy. Tom sauce has become more and more available allowing some place to make a really awful plate of patatas bravas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yaaaay - down with bk , up the new guys next door - I will certainly be visitig them - thanx for the good news Pa.
I was going to mention that but not sure it is the same place. There is really great tapas, bocadilla bar very near the BK, amazing anyone would opt for the BK.

Fried fish is often wonderful in Spain especially in Andalucia specifically Cadiz and Puerto Santa Maria and the surrounding area. The Spanish love fish and are prepared to pay highly for good quality. Chips on the other hand are not a Spanish speciality.

Fried fish is often wonderful in Spain especially in Andalucia specifically Cadiz and Puerto Santa Maria and the surrounding area. The Spanish love fish and are prepared to pay highly for good quality. Chips on the other hand are not a Spanish speciality.
Having spent a semester in England at Oxford, I love a good fish and chips as much as the next guy----my wife and I made it a week ago and drained half a bottle of malt vinegar in one sitting.

But the Spanish equivalent is better: A plate of fried eggs (fresh of course), french cut fries, chorizo, and sometimes a piece of bacon. It's heaven. We now make this monthly, and if I had to choose a "last supper" before death, it would be it.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Having spent a semester in England at Oxford, I love a good fish and chips as much as the next guy----my wife and I made it a week ago and drained half a bottle of malt vinegar in one sitting.

But the Spanish equivalent is better: A plate of fried eggs, french cut fries, chorizo, (and sometimes a piece of) bacon. It's heaven. We now make this monthly, and if I had to choose a "last supper" before death, it would be it.

Villafranca, June of 2013

9305226392_dbd6054b7a_z.jpg

I was going to mention that but not sure it is the same place. There is really great tapas, bocadilla bar very near the BK, amazing anyone would opt for the BK.
It's almost a crime against humanity!

(mostly joking ;) )

A plate of fried eggs
A great meal. However, my companion had them one time, and was projectile vomiting within the hour. The next day we met another pilgrim in Obradoiro who had admired his platter in the restaurant and duplicated the order. His first words were, "Did you get sick yesterday?" Both had food poisoning from the undercooked eggs. I had revuelta, so was spared. Eggs are not refrigerated in France and Spain. They can be contaminated. Beware!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A great meal. However, my companion had them one time, and was projectile vomiting within the hour. The next day we met another pilgrim in Obradoiro who had admired his platter in the restaurant and duplicated the order. His first words were, "Did you get sick yesterday?" Both had food poisoning from the undercooked eggs. I had revuelta, so was spared. Eggs are not refrigerated in France and Spain. They can be contaminated. Beware!
Eggs aren't refrigerated in most of the world, they are kept at cool temperatures. The restaurant in question most likely wasn't using the freshest eggs, and that is not a good thing for that dish (where you want a runny yolk). You usually can tell how fresh an egg is by the color of the yolk, so pay attention when they serve you your eggs (the ones in the picture are just about perfect)

Villafranca, June of 2013

9305226392_dbd6054b7a_z.jpg
That is my favorite dish in Spain at 10am. I have yet to decide which region has the best bacon. Maybe we should do a poll. I'd happily trade the frites for fresh pan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The rule in West Africa, where there is no refrigeration, was to put the egg in water and if it floated then toss it.

Well, that's a risk when eating perishables like eggs in any foreign country. There's always the possibility that it may have "turned". I consumed eggs (hard boiled and fried) on both my Caminos. Never got sick. I've eaten eggs in the Phlippines (including balut :eek:) and in Thailand (even small quail eggs) off of street vendor carts. Knock on wood, never got sick.
That's not saying I have never been sick from food while travelling. I have a few times. You just can't let the possibility of that keep you from having a good time.
cheers

I never go to fast food (only in emergency, when I have no possibility) and I would never have occurred me to go there during the Camino!
Ok, I guess some people love it, but they have to count with some troubles in those places..

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
At risk of causing offence I have to say the food was the only disappointment on my recent Camino. So bland :(

About 30-40 % of the time I tried a la carte rather than pilgrim's menus or menu del dia and it wasn't much better.

Maybe Northern Spain is not the gastronomic heart of the country......

but it was cheap and filling..... much like a burger really ;)

But the wine made up for it! Loved the Rioja. ....

Last edited:
At risk of causing offence I have to say the food was the only disappointment on my recent Camino. So bland :(

About 30-40 % of the time I tried a la carte rather than pilgrim's menus or menu del dia and it wasn't much better.

Maybe Northern Spain is not the gastronomic heart of the country......

but it was cheap and filling..... much like a burger really ;)
No offense taken, but I think that speaks more to the Camino than to the region. Northern Spain, especially the Basque region, is largely considered the heart of gastronomy for all of Europe (along with Paris and maybe Lyon, France). Castilla y Leon less so, but there are still some really interesting dishes there. But they are very, very difficult to find along the Camino. The Camino really changes things. You are "in Spain" but you are not "in Spain" all at the same time. Alburgue food may be good or bad, but it is rarely a shining example of local gastronomy. Restaurants can be a little bit better, but usually, along the Camino, they are the equivalent of the cheap tourist restaurant in Paris or London........their audience is an international community that doesn't know much about Spain, isn't there (primarily) for the food, and doesn't want to pay much......so they cook accordingly.

We ate very well on Camino, but we've spent a LOT of time eating our way around Spain and know what to look for. It isn't always easy when on Camino.

Oh, and fwiw, while I'd personally never eat a burger on Camino (and certainly not a Burger King), a burger can be much, much more than "cheap and filling" if done properly. There are a lot of bad burgers out there (and a lot of bad Spanish food on Camino). Doesn't mean they define what a burger and/or Spanish food is.

Last edited:
This issue of undercooked / raw eggs has long puzzled me. I grew up in the tropics where an aunt of mine always stored her eggs in the open on top of her fridge, and I don't recall anyone ever getting sick from eating them. How long they remained in the open before they were eaten, I don't know.

As to eating raw eggs, I phoned the health department a few years ago as I was concerned about adding a beaten raw egg to a chiffon pie I was making. I was told that if the egg had any bacteria, the bacteria would be on the outside of the shell and, if I was concerned, I should wash the egg very well before cracking it open.

The standards way-back-when in the tropics of processing eggs for sale would have been vastly different from what they are now in North America. I think it's been only recently that we are being told not to eat undercooked eggs. Who knows what to believe.

I could tell you about the time in Alicante when I ordered a salad. The salad came looking exactly as pictured in the menu. All sorts of vegetables. Except that the attractive looking salad was merely a covering. Most of it was iceberg lettuce. 5 Euros later and feeling ripped off ... I went on to the local Burger King and ate another much more satisfying meal. I dined there frequently during my stay at Alicante. At least you know what you are getting before you put your money down.
In fairness, your experience with the salad might partially be attached to the fact that a tossed salad is about equally foreign to Spanish cuisine as Burger King.

Ensalada mixta is almost universally an option in the menu peregrino or menu del dia. Toss it, if you like.
Yes. ensalada mixta is everywhere in Spain now that you find tourists, but it is usually an afterthought at most restaurants.....and has likely been sitting out for hours. My mother once got really sick after eating a salad in Pamplona that she realized had been sitting in the sun all day. I'm not saying you can't find salad in spain (it's lots of places) or that you can't find good salads in spain (I've had some!), I'm just saying it isn't particularly Spanish, and it was probably made with a tourist (or local person on a major diet) in mind.

My wife, who has lived in Spain, says at home you do see a bit of lettuce with oil/vinegar thrown in the middle of the table sometimes, for everybody to stab a piece or two of, but it is, again, an afterthought. Something thrown out by the cook at the last minute to try to help make up for the (likely) lack of green veggies on the table.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From La Tienda:

Spanish Style Mixed Salad - Ensalada Mixta a la Española
There are typically two kinds of salads on Spanish menus: simple lettuce and tomato or what is popularly known as ensalata mixta, a somewhat more embellished version of that basic salad. It is always brought to the table "undressed," and diners season it and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar as they please. To my taste, it is the ideal salad in which all ingredients beautifully complement one another, and my husband, who is not particularly fond of salads, eats this one with gusto. You can vary it as you wish. -- Penelope Casas

Ensalada mixta is almost universally an option in the menu peregrino or menu del dia. Toss it, if you like.
:D:D When I was holed up for four days in a hostel in León nursing my tendinitis, I observed in the kitchen a fellow peregrina prepare a salad for her companions. It was exactly the same as any ensalada mixta I had been served along the Camino.

BTW, if you want a GREAT Spanish salad, have a white asparagus salad while walking through Navarra. It's amazing how many pilgrims I knew walked by fields of white asparagus for two days and then never thought to seek it out at a restaurant

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Look out for Patatas bravas (maybe not correct spelling) lovely with lashings of mayonnaise and hot chilli sauce....much nicer than the chips that usually come with pilgrim meal.

After walking into Pamplona last May on a very very wet rainy day, I stopped at at Bar and saw a sign that said "American Hamburgers here". I said whoopie!!! And had one. 45 Minutes later back at my Albergue the ole stomach starting making noises. Long story short I was sick for 8 days and three Farmacias later.....Life was very unpleasant for me and my Camino family whilst I was sickly......Have not had a Burger since....I can live without them now.....

Well, that's a risk when eating perishables like eggs in any foreign country. There's always the possibility that it may have "turned". I consumed eggs (hard boiled and fried) on both my Caminos. Never got sick. I've eaten eggs in the Phlippines (including balut :eek:) and in Thailand (even small quail eggs) off of street vendor carts. Knock on wood, never got sick.
That's not saying I have never been sick from food while travelling. I have a few times. You just can't let the possibility of that keep you from having a good time.
cheers
I smelled balut. I would not have the gumption to try. Kimchee yes. I have not had octopus yet, but everyone tells me I should try it when I'm in Spain. Hmmm.

I smelled balut. I would not have the gumption to try. Kimchee yes. I have not had octopus yet, but everyone tells me I should try it when I'm in Spain. Hmmm.
Well, when I ate balut in the PI was while in the Marines, a bit intoxicated and thought what da heck. I remember when you ordered it you did so by a number, something like 7-21, that being what stage of development the duck was in. I picked 7, ha ha. The locals got no problem with the 21's, ugh. Ha ha.
Also had Kimchee when I was in the Corps. Good stuff.
I love grilled octopus or squid. Had it in Thailand, the Philippines and in Spain. When it is fresh it is so, so tender and when grilled has that smoky taste. Yum. Try it next time.

Galician octopus, when executed correctly, is sublime, but when overcooked, tastes like rubber. It's beauty is in its simplicity, but that also is why it gone go awry so quickly. I love pulpo, but I'm never shocked when other peregrinos have bad pulpo experiences. The best, and most consistent, octupus I've ever had is in Croatia. They have a lot of good dishes with it but the best may be squid ink pasta. Yes, it's black.

We cook both squid and octopus at home but I've never had to guts to try to make it Galacian style. Straightforward boiling plus paprika is great if you do it perfectly but not much margin of error.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After walking into Pamplona last May on a very very wet rainy day, I stopped at at Bar and saw a sign that said "American Hamburgers here". I said whoopie!!! And had one. 45 Minutes later back at my Albergue the ole stomach starting making noises. Long story short I was sick for 8 days and three Farmacias later.....Life was very unpleasant for me and my Camino family whilst I was sickly......Have not had a Burger since....I can live without them now.....
Reminds of a time I got sick after eating a can of sardines in mustard. Loved those things on crackers. Don't know if that's what got me sick, or a bout of flu bug at the same time, but for years afterwards the mere thought of eating them, let alone the smell of them turned my stomach.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a little behind & supprised some of you actually found eggs & bacon In the morning. Once again the power of learning a language!

The food Agree is bland for the most part as all I ate was the pilgrim meals unless I cooked. But once I made it to Madrid I ate very well indeed. I simply took the time to explore the city & it's food. I am curious if anyone has walked the Norte & the food experience on the coast.

I am a little behind & supprised some of you actually found eggs & bacon In the morning. Once again the power of learning a language!

The food Agree is bland for the most part as all I ate was the pilgrim meals unless I cooked. But once I made it to Madrid I ate very well indeed. I simply took the time to explore the city & it's food. I am curious if anyone has walked the Norte & the food experience on the coast.
Bacon and eggs are more for dinner in Spain. You might be able to find it at breakfast (Biaritz seems to have), but not as easy to find.

The Norte should have the best food of all, it goes through the heart of the Basque Country (the Iberian peninsular's gastronomic center) and Asturias (which is to beef in Spain what Argentina is to beef in South America).

I found 5 bacon rashers ib a plastic pack for 1 euro in los arcos.

I am curious if anyone has walked the Norte & the food experience on the coast.

From what i understand the 6th best restaraunt in the world is near san sebastian.

Oz

That is my favorite dish in Spain at 10am. I have yet to decide which region has the best bacon. Maybe we should do a poll. I'd happily trade the frites for fresh pan.
A piece of bread often comes with it, but you need the fries to dip in the yolk!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't forget Mugaritz another top rated restaurant just a little out of the way near Durandgo.
PS I have never been shy about ordering huevos fritos y bacon any time of the day.

Last edited:
Arzak. Most expensive meal of my life and worth every penny. I still dream about it.

Actually, San Sebastian/Donostia has more michelin stars per capita than anywhere else in the world save Paris.
Please stop the torture! I am wondering now if I should go back for another Camino but secretly go for food exploration...

Please stop the torture! I am wondering now if I should go back for another Camino but secretly go for food exploration...
We met a mother and her 15 year old daughter in Hendaye (on our way to Pamplona after snow forced us to abandon St Jean) who were getting ready to start the Norte in Irun. They said that their decision to do the Norte was 100% determined by food.

As for torture, isn't it funny how a thread that started about Burger King ends in so much good spanish food discussion? The Camino provides, the Camino provides :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For reasons known only to the Michelin people, this restaurant lost its star, but is still a great place to dine:

http://www.casamarcelo.net/

There are three three-star restaurants in vicinity of San Sebastian:

upload_2015-6-18_15-50-9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget Mugaritz another 5 star restaurant just a little of f the way.
PS I have never been shy about ordering huevos fritos y bacon any time of the day.
Dying to eat at Mugaritz. And I don't trust anybody who is shy about bacon ;)

I thought the "warning" was going to be that they put a Burger King in the Basque Country

In Spain, there's at least one Burger King establishment in each of the provinces of the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country but this thread is about one of the Burger King establishments in the Autonomous Community of Navarre.

You usually can tell how fresh an egg is by the color of the yolk

AFAIK, the color of the yolk is related with the food eaten by the animal. I was told the egg white is what can be used to get an idea of how fresh is an egg: the less sprawled, the more fresh but I can't confirm it either.

that's a risk when eating perishables like eggs in any foreign country.

I'm wondering: How did your home country achieve the zero risk? Surely, the rest of the world should be interested in it.

Northern Spain, especially the Basque region, is largely considered the heart of gastronomy for all of Europe (along with Paris and maybe Lyon, France). Castilla y Leon less so

Bearing in mind that part of Castilla y León (including the part crossed by the Camino Francés) is in the North of Spain, that quote seems a contradiction in itself. I guess a specification of what's Northern Spain for you would make sense.

the Basque Country (the Iberian peninsular's gastronomic center)

Not sure what makes an area a gastronomic center but talking about famous gastronomy/restaurants/chefs in the Iberian Peninsula we shouldn't overlook Catalonia with the famous Ferran Adrià (I know his restaurant is closed but he should be quoted anyway), the Roca Brothers, Carme Ruscalleda...

I'm not saying you can't find salad in spain (it's lots of places) or that you can't find good salads in spain (I've had some!), I'm just saying it isn't particularly Spanish

There are traditional salad dishes in some areas of Spain like, for example, the Lemon's Salad (found in part of the North of Cáceres province and part of the South of Salamanca province) or the Pipirrana (found in some areas of the South of Spain).

My wife, who has lived in Spain, says at home you do see a bit of lettuce with oil/vinegar thrown in the middle of the table sometimes, for everybody to stab a piece or two of, but it is, again, an afterthought. Something thrown out by the cook at the last minute to try to help make up for the (likely) lack of green veggies on the table.

That's true on some homes, on other homes salad is eaten always at lunch and dinner, on other homes salad isn't eaten at all, on other homes salads are eaten as first course several times per month, on other homes... We would need a well made poll to get an idea about salad consumption in Spanish homes but I don't know any poll about it.

Actually, San Sebastian/Donostia has more michelin stars per capita than anywhere else in the world save Paris.

The Venta Moncalvillo (a one Michelin star restaurant) is located in a village with just 53 inhabitants called Daroca de Rioja. I guess that must be the more michelin stars per capita in the world but I'm just guessing.

There are three three-star restaurants in San Sebastian

The Martín Berasategui restaurant isn't in San Sebastián but in Lasarte-Orio (a nearby municipality) so there are just two three-Michelin-star resturants in San Sebastián.

While pulpo is offered many places, look for a pulperia. There is at least one great one in Sarria down by the river, and several in Melide right on the Camino.
And since this will be my first Pulpo, I want it to be special. (blush). So I will look for a pulperia, and just hope it lives up to my rather large expectations.

Eggs are not sold refrigerated and there is no need to do it if you are going to eat them the same day. Everybody store them in the refrigerator. Also in France. Refrigerating is a way to delay the action of bacteria so you can eat them even a week after buying.

There is an european law that regulates everything about production and merchandising of eggs.

When we are out of home we tend to generalize and I don't know why. Food poisonings happen all around the world even in the best restaurants, errors happen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I prefer the World's Best Restaurants List instead of the Michelin stars.

There are four basque restaurants within the 50 best ones. But this is about haute cuisine, if you are into traditional food ask in each town.

Castillian----I agree with most of your many comments above.

I consider Navarra Basque. I am far from alone in that opinion, though like most things Basque, I realize that is a contentious claim, and not really appropriate for further debate on this forum

Catalunya is certainly a gastronomic center, many considered El Bulli the worlds greatest restaurant. On the whole, Basque cuisine has been more influential than Catalan, though both, I would argue have been more influential than Spanish. That said Spanish food is amazing too.

To your point about defining north of Spain, I was including Castilla y Leon in north of Spain. The "less so" was in reference to it being less of a gastronomic hub than, say, the Basque Countey. But, as I said before, there is some darn good cooking in Castilla y Leon.

Last edited:
Reminds of a time I got sick after eating a can of sardines in mustard. Loved those things on crackers. Don't know if that's what got me sick, or a bout of flu bug at the same time, but for years afterwards the mere thought of eating them, let alone the smell of them turned my stomach.
Yes Mark, I know the feeling..... I Love sardines, mustard on a cracker as well and have not been sick with them...knock on wood.....Anyhow, that "hamburger" in Pamplona was really made out of Ham (Jamon). Not beef as we get in the states.. :) Hurts me to talk about it.....

This issue of undercooked / raw eggs has long puzzled me. I grew up in the tropics where an aunt of mine always stored her eggs in the open on top of her fridge, and I don't recall anyone ever getting sick from eating them. How long they remained in the open before they were eaten, I don't know.

As to eating raw eggs, I phoned the health department a few years ago as I was concerned about adding a beaten raw egg to a chiffon pie I was making. I was told that if the egg had any bacteria, the bacteria would be on the outside of the shell and, if I was concerned, I should wash the egg very well before cracking it open.

The standards way-back-when in the tropics of processing eggs for sale would have been vastly different from what they are now in North America. I think it's been only recently that we are being told not to eat undercooked eggs. Who knows what to believe.
When I lived in Jamaica no one at all stored eggs in the fridge...many didn't have a fridge. I also was used to seeing people leave food out overnight including fried chicken or fish...covered of course... and it never made anyone sick. I think we have become overly concerned with germs and bacteria...etc. Honestly the older I get the more I am told I shouldn't do things that never made one blink an eye back when I was growing up. Now the one time I remember getting really really sick from food contamination was when I bought potato salad at a grocery store in Canada...lol

For reasons known only to the Michelin people, this restaurant lost its star, but is still a great place to dine:

http://www.casamarcelo.net/

There are three three-star restaurants in vicinity of San Sebastian:

View attachment 19403
Thing about food/stars/ratings on anything really is personal preference and personal perspective. I have dined at 5 star restaurants that totally unimpressed me and at little out of the way shacks serving home cooked meals that were to die for. It all depends on what you like. Stars don't mean much except to the critic who is tasting it that day. Its like that with hotels too. I know several 1 star hotels in Jammy for instance that if you read the reviews and based it on the stars you wouldn't even want to stay there, yet some of the best and most restful sleeps I have had in my life were in a room at that hotel. Its all relative.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thing about food/stars/ratings on anything really is personal preference and personal perspective. I have dined at 5 star restaurants that totally unimpressed me and at little out of the way shacks serving home cooked meals that were to die for. It all depends on what you like. Stars don't mean much except to the critic who is tasting it that day. Its like that with hotels too. I know several 1 star hotels in Jammy for instance that if you read the reviews and based it on the stars you wouldn't even want to stay there, yet some of the best and most restful sleeps I have had in my life were in a room at that hotel. Its all relative.
This is all true, and one must also remember how French centric and euro centric Michelin is. Arzak is my best food experience ever, and worthy of their maximum 3 Michelin star rating. But I've also been to mom and pop places in Ocho Rio Jamaica that would blow your socks off and Michelin ain't going there. They wouldn't leave their resort (I, conversely, wouldn't go on the resort).

You aren't wrong, at all.

That said, go to the average European town and look at two similar restaurants. One has a star and one doesn't, usually Michelin got it right. And it isn't always about haute cuisine at the one star level (though it usually is at the 2 and 3 star level). Donostia has some pretty darn good one star places that are still pretty down home.

Last edited:
Never saw eggs in fridge at grnnies in Mexico DF. Kept in cool cuboard.

You call it "dining" at a Burger King, Mc Donalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken" .?
I have different thought about "dining" The services these "companies" offer is a direct and severe insultment to mankind. Lining up for food, paying in advance and the rubbish they sell thrown on a plastic plate and your hot drinks in a cardboard cup, covered with a plastic lid so they are'nt not responsable when you burn yourself by spilling the hot stuff that they call coffee. Over my dead body I never put one step in these degenerated way of supplying "food". Do not make me mad !
In Spain are real local restaurants . They deserve to be visited. Not that fastfood crap.

€83,-
many considered El Bulli the worlds greatest restaurant
elBulli (Catalan pronunciation: [əɫ ˈβuʎi]) was a Michelin 3-star restaurant near the town of Roses, Catalonia, Spain, run by chef Ferran Adrià. The small restaurant overlooked Cala Montjoi, a bay on Catalonia's Costa Brava, and was described as "the most imaginative generator of haute cuisine on the planet."[1] The restaurant was also associated with molecular gastronomy. The restaurant closed on July 30, 2011[2] and was reopened as a creativity centre in 2014.

There are three 3-star (Michelin) restaurants in the San Sebastian area (Basque-ish), and only two in the Barcelona area (Catalonia-ish). :)

(Only one in Madrid.)

elBulli (Catalan pronunciation: [əɫ ˈβuʎi]) was a Michelin 3-star restaurant near the town of Roses, Catalonia, Spain, run by chef Ferran Adrià. The small restaurant overlooked Cala Montjoi, a bay on Catalonia's Costa Brava, and was described as "the most imaginative generator of haute cuisine on the planet."[1] The restaurant was also associated with molecular gastronomy. The restaurant closed on July 30, 2011[2] and was reopened as a creativity centre in 2014.

There are three 3-star (Michelin) restaurants in the San Sebastian area (Basque-ish), and only two in the Barcelona area (Catalonia-ish). :)

(Only one in Madrid.)
When I worked in Catalunya for some years I regulary stayed in Rosas .you had to reserve at least half a year in advance to be sure to get a table at el Bulli.
But Rosas and also Cadaques (birthplace of artist Dalí) ,Escalá and other places have excellent restaurants, interesting enough to avoid these "burger"restaurants.
In the Spanish restaurants you can feel the real Spanish atmosphere . I cannot say that about that to us forced obesitatas and heart diseases causing junkfood.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have different thought about "dining" The services these "companies" offer is a direct and severe insultment to mankind. Lining up for food, paying in advance and the rubbish they sell thrown on a plastic plate and your hot drinks in a cardboard cup, covered with a plastic lid so they are'nt not responsable when you burn yourself by spilling the hot stuff that they call coffee. Over my dead body I never put one step in these degenerated way of supplying "food". Do not make me mad !
In Spain are real local restaurants . They deserve to be visited. Not that fastfood crap.
Relax, my friend. The term is used loosely. On my last night in Spain (in a small town just outside Barcelona on a fiesta day) when faced with only two choices for eats; the first being a dinner at 34 euro (far more than I needed or wanted) and a chicken salad at McDonalds, I happily chose the fine dining offered by the latter.;)

Someone needs a nap...or a happy meal....

re: "fine dining" and McDonalds.

I can remember when the first McDonalds in Britain (Greenwich of all places) was proposed in the mid 70s, some of those in the press thought it would fail as no Brit would/could eat food not on a plate accompanied with cutlery!

How wrong those journos were.

And, woe and double woe, how British standards have fallen off a cliff ever since!

"In Spain are real local restaurants . They deserve to be visited."

Not when you get a facade of vegatables over a pile of iceberg lettuce and get a bill for 5 euros.

I should add that I ate 'Menu Peregrino' almost every day on the camino. I thought I was getting a fair deal ... a good 3 course meal of basic food for a reasonable price.

Not when you get a facade of vegatables over a pile of iceberg lettuce and get a bill for 5 euros.
I'm not saying this to completely agree with his argument, and CERTAINLY not to agree with his tone (I loved the response that "someone needs a happy meal"!) but it is worth pointing out that placing the veggies on top in a salad is not uncommon in a lot of Europe. That doesn't excuse the fact that it may well have been a subpar salad, but it isn't necessarily fair to assume it was an attempt to "hide" that there was only lettuce underneath. In the US we tend to serve salads at restaurants pre-tossed......I've rarely seen that in Europe. They display the cherished bits on top much as a fishmonger displays his best fish.

I can remember when the first McDonalds in Britain.....was proposed in the mid 70s, some of those in the press thought it would fail as no Brit would/could eat food not on a plate accompanied with cutlery.
My McDonalds chicken salad was served on a receptacle of some sort - styrofoam maybe - and I ate it with a fork, with a napkin. I think there was even Wifi. :cool:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My dislike of a macedoine of vegetables so often piled atop an otherwise decent salad in Mediterranean countries is only matched by my loathing of Thousand Island Dressing which is so ubiquitous in the United States!

Last edited:
I'm not saying this to completely agree with his argument, and CERTAINLY not to agree with his tone (I loved the response that "someone needs a happy meal"!) but it is worth pointing out that placing the veggies on top in a salad is not uncommon in a lot of Europe. That doesn't excuse the fact that it may well have been a subpar salad, but it isn't necessarily fair to assume it was an attempt to "hide" that there was only lettuce underneath. In the US we tend to serve salads at restaurants pre-tossed......I've rarely seen that in Europe. They display the cherished bits on top much as a fishmonger displays his best fish.

Even if there is such a cultural difference in how salad is presented ... there is still the matter of 5 euros for a pile of lettuce. There is no cultural difference there ... its a ripoff. This was 9 years ago so who knows what that would cost now. I may be dumb but I'm not stupid ... Burger King, here we come.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Relax dude, I never said the US had zero risk in bad eggs :D.

I'm (and was) really relaxed. Sorry, it seems I misunderstood you. As you wrote that's a risk (...) at any foreign country, I thought yours was free of that problem and wanted to know how was that made because if any country is/was able to get zero risk, any country concerned about the health of its citizens should take note about how to make it. My post was really well-intentioned (believe me) but I realize (now) that, maybe, it doesn't seem so.

I consider Navarra Basque. I am far from alone in that opinion, though like most things Basque, I realize that is a contentious claim, and not really appropriate for further debate on this forum

I don't pretend to debate. Just some facts:

• Some people (you included) consider Navarre Basque.
  • Some people doesn't consider Navarre Basque.
  • Some people consider Navarre has a Basque part (area) and a not-Basque part (area).
  • Some people wants Navarre to join the Basque country.
  • Some people doesn't want Navarre to join the Basque country.
  • Spanish Constitution allows the Autonomous Community of Navarre to join the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country to form a single Autonomous Community within Spain if Navarrese people decide so in referendum.
  • Right now, in Spain, the Autonomous Community of Navarre and the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country are two different Autonomous Communities.

Now, if there's anyone interested in knowing more, s/he can look by him/herself for the reasons each of the some peoples I quoted above have to sustain their point of view.

Basque cuisine has been more influential than Catalan, though both, I would argue have been more influential than Spanish.

You know that's another controversial quote (mainly for the differentiation you made between Basque and Catalan on one side and Spanish on the other)... Food for thought: Do politically controversial quotes help to keep the forum free of political discussions (forum's rule 2)?

€83,-
I don't pretend to debate. Just some facts:

• Some people (you included) consider Navarre Basque.
  • Some people doesn't consider Navarre Basque.
  • Some people consider Navarre has a Basque part (area) and a not-Basque part (area).
  • Some people wants Navarre to join the Basque country.
  • Some people doesn't want Navarre to join the Basque country.
  • Spanish Constitution allows the Autonomous Community of Navarre to join the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country to form a single Autonomous Community within Spain if Navarrese people decide so in referendum.
  • Right now, in Spain, the Autonomous Community of Navarre and the Autonomous Community of the Basque Country are two different Autonomous Communities.

Now, if there's anyone interested in knowing more, s/he can look by him/herself for the reasons each of the some peoples I quoted above have to sustain their point of view.

You know that's another controversial quote (mainly for the differentiation you made between Basque and Catalan on one side and Spanish on the other)... Food for thought: Do politically controversial quotes help to keep the forum free of political discussions (forum's rule 2)?

The first half of your response was a very appropriate one, and probably helpful to a lot of people.

The second half is looking for a fight where I have no intention of giving you one. I was speaking of culture and cultural artifacts (food), not nationality. But you knew that.

I think it best if we both let this go. This is the last I'll say on this regardless of your response (if any). My intent in this thread was never to incite political debate (though I think you know that too). There's no reason it needs to turn the direction you seem to want it to go. So I'm leaving it (the topic).

I was speaking of culture and cultural artifacts (food), not nationality.

I wasn't talking about nationality either. I was talking about the division you made of the cultures. Some people may make the division you made, other people may think Spanish culture/food includes Basque and Catalan too, other people may think that Spain is a mix of cultures/foods or, in other words, that there isn't really a Spanish culture/food but Basque culture/food, Catalan culture/food, Galician culture/food, Castilian culture/food, Aragonese culture/food, Andalusian culture/food, Canarian culture/food et cetera. IMHO, regardless what division you find most appropriated, most of the controversy about the number of cultures in Spain is politically based. That's why I said the quote was politically controversial.

My intent in this thread was never to incite political debate (though I think you know that too). There's no reason it needs to turn the direction you seem to want it to go.

I don't want to incite any political debate either. In fact, my aim on this thread has been (and is) exactly the opposite: to avoid the risk of the arising of political debate(s) on the forum in the future by making people (me included) aware of what short of comments might make it(them) arise. However, it seems I didn't choose the best way to make it and I didn't have (too much) success. I'll learn from it too.

I apologize if my posts were found off-topic, bothered someone, had the opposite effect to the one I pretended (i.e.: arised discussions seen as political instead of preventing/avoiding them) and/or were trying to prevent a risk when it wasn't really necessary. In other words, I apologize if my posts were found unnecessary and/or inappropiate.

Castillian--- I also apologize for any part my wording might have played in this. And, fwiw, I have very little political strong opinions one way or the other in this debate (though I can see why it may well sound otherwise)

Speaking of culture in Spain.

Did you know the four major epochs of Spanish culture can be traced through the use of arches?

First there are the Romanesque arches used to build the ancient bridges and aqueducts. The Roman age.

Second there are the horseshoe shaped arches of the Mozarabic. The Cathedral in Cordoba has fine examples of such. The Moro age.

Third there are the arches used to build the flying buttresses and domed ceilings of Cathedrals such as the one in Burgos. The Catholic age.

Fourth there are the golden arches found in front of certain fast food emporiums. The modern age.

Progress marches on ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I apologize if my posts were found off-topic, bothered someone, had the opposite effect to the one I pretended (i.e.: arised discussions seen as political instead of preventing/avoiding them) and/or were trying to prevent a risk when it wasn't really necessary. In other words, I apologize if my posts were found unnecessary and/or inappropiate.
In some countries/cultures/cultural contexts it may unwise to start a conversation about politics or about religion or about sports, and in others it may unwise to start a conversation about language or about the Euro or the European Union project as such, while religious or other political issues may be totally safe. Welcome to the cultural diversity of our big old continent. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back