• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona in 2023

Time of past OR future Camino
July-August 2023 Camino Frances
We are so excited to to finally start to plan our walk on the camino next summer! We had hoped to see some of the San Fermin festival but are now finding hotel availablity very scarce and prices are extremely high already at the beginning of the festival which is when we were planning on arriving in Pamplona.. We thought we shouldn't start booking any rooms until about a year before but it seems we are already too late! My question is about the actual running of the bulls. The hotel availability and prices are alot lower near the end of the festival but are there still people running with the bulls at that point? Or is most of the excitement over until the closing ceremonies begin? I think we may have to consider changing our dates and maybe miss this event.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are so excited to to finally start to plan our walk on the camino next summer! We had hoped to see some of the San Fermin festival but are now finding hotel availablity very scarce and prices are extremely high already at the beginning of the festival which is when we were planning on arriving in Pamplona.. We thought we shouldn't start booking any rooms until about a year before but it seems we are already too late! My question is about the actual running of the bulls. The hotel availability and prices are alot lower near the end of the festival but are there still people running with the bulls at that point? Or is most of the excitement over until the closing ceremonies begin? I think we may have to consider changing our dates and maybe miss this event.
tons of people (tons) run everyday...people are traveling in/out from Pamplona all through the week so I would put this worry away.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Want to save money? Find a video of the running of the bulls.
If possible, having worked out a script, make calls to the places you decide are where you would like to stay. Often, they will have someone who speaks English, if that is your preferred language.
Direct dealing can be more useful than via a booking site.
As with bus and train schedules and options for booking, which I gather are released in stages, you need to be on the alert at the right time.
I understand the bull running is fully active from 7th till 14th. I also understand that it is a local tradition, hijacked by people from other cultures. That is where injuries come on the scene, often.
I have only witnessed the arrival into the bullring - you need to be in place rather early! - and the 'entertainment' with los mansos, the cows, once the bulls are all safely in the pen.
I think the first question is: why do you want to be there at that time? If it is something on a list, do it. If not, arrange your itinerary differently.
All the above is subject to argument, by the way. 🤣

We met a couple who got a last minute booking with a balcony over the route on AirBNB. Very expensive.
Hello I attended the festival last week. Here is my take.

This year the festival ran from 06-14 July. We attended 13 and 14 July. Observed the running on 13th and 'ran' on the 14th. I have a list of events by day from the tourist office and there is no difference between start and end. Maybe I could try and send a copy to you online. I also noticed that accommodation was more expensive at the start but have no idea why. We only decided to go about 10 days before and booked Ronces Hostal (twin room) for £86 per room per night via booking.com and it was excellent. 20 min walk from the 'run'. We actually caught overnight buses from/to Valencia where I am staying right now so we got 2 full days in Pamplona for 1 night in hotel and adrenaline pushed us through!

The event is fantastic!! The 'run' is 8am (you need to be there earlier for a good position - say 0600-0630 to observe and 7am if you are a runner) and lasts for 3 mins, then the rest of the festival begins. There are concert and parades, and just general partying and it was just so good. The nightly fantastic firework display was just about the best I have seen (and I have done New Years Eve in London and Sydney).

You are advised to observe the dress code which is all white with red accessories - nearly everyone does, and it really adds to the atmosphere.

Food and drink prices were very cheap (i.e. red wine 1.5 Euro upwards and similar for Pinxtos). They don't seem to go up in any significant way so it need not be too expensive. It was very easy to move around the central area and very easy and quick to get served. It is very well managed. Folks were very welcoming and it still feels very much like a local event to me with maybe 20% from outside the region (Spanish and International) though that is total speculation on my part and may change as Covid becomes more remote. Lots of children, families and so forth. Lots of party animals too! If you have the chance to go, take it. You may need to take some risk re accommodation but sure it will work out.

BTW I know a bit about how travel providers deal with special events and often hotel rooms get blocked booked (and released back if not sold) or not even initially released so I wouldn't let that deter you, When I searched 10 days out or so there were enough options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

This year the festival ran from 06-14 July. We attended 13 and 14 July. Observed the running on 13th and 'ran' on the 14th. I have a list of events by day from the tourist office and there is no difference between start and end. Maybe I could try and send a copy to you online. I also noticed that accommodation was more expensive at the start but have no idea why. We only decided to go about 10 days before and booked Ronces Hostal (twin room) for £86 per room per night. We actually caught overnight buses from/to Valencia where I am staying right now so we got 2 days for 1 night in hotel and adrenaline pushed us through!

The event is fantastic!! the 'run is 08am (you need to be there earlier for a good position - say 0600-0630 to observe and 7am if you are a runner) and runs for 3 mins, then the rest of the festival begins. There are concert and parades, and just general partying and it was just so good. The nightly fantastic firework display was just about the best I have seen (and I have done New Years Eve in London and Sydney.
The fireworks display is wonderful!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
yes and different every night!

In 2017 I met a guy who paid 100€ just for a place to stand on a balcony during the running of the bulls!
That doesn't surprise me and I reckon there would be a lot of takers at that price. I may even consider it - would certainly pay 50 Euro! Balcony space at a premium as bought up by travel companies, corporates who want to entertain clients, and people who live there and want to entertain friends!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Slight hijack but one of my favourite all-time books, James A. Michener’s The Drifters, has a memorable chapter on the running of the bulls in Pamplona. IMO, it’s required reading for anyone interested in the festival, or anyone in general really!
The programme! These are the official events but there are lots of unofficial events too!

Attachments

• C00638EA-B528-4698-828A-CB8958B54417.jpeg
    C00638EA-B528-4698-828A-CB8958B54417.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12

This year the festival ran from 06-14 July. We attended 13 and 14 July. Observed the running on 13th and 'ran' on the 14th. I have a list of events by day from the tourist office and there is no difference between start and end. Maybe I could try and send a copy to you online. I also noticed that accommodation was more expensive at the start but have no idea why. We only decided to go about 10 days before and booked Ronces Hostal (twin room) for £86 per room per night via booking.com and it was excellent. 20 min walk from the 'run'. We actually caught overnight buses from/to Valencia where I am staying right now so we got 2 full days in Pamplona for 1 night in hotel and adrenaline pushed us through!

The event is fantastic!! The 'run' is 8am (you need to be there earlier for a good position - say 0600-0630 to observe and 7am if you are a runner) and lasts for 3 mins, then the rest of the festival begins. There are concert and parades, and just general partying and it was just so good. The nightly fantastic firework display was just about the best I have seen (and I have done New Years Eve in London and Sydney).

You are advised to observe the dress code which is all white with red accessories - nearly everyone does, and it really adds to the atmosphere.

Food and drink prices were very cheap (i.e. red wine 1.5 Euro upwards and similar for Pinxtos). They don't seem to go up in any significant way so it need not be too expensive. It was very easy to move around the central area and very easy and quick to get served. It is very well managed. Folks were very welcoming and it still feels very much like a local event to me with maybe 20% from outside the region (Spanish and International) though that is total speculation on my part and may change as Covid becomes more remote. Lots of children, families and so forth. Lots of party animals too! If you have the chance to go, take it. You may need to take some risk re accommodation but sure it will work out.

BTW I know a bit about how travel providers deal with special events and often hotel rooms get blocked booked (and released back if not sold) or not even initially released so I wouldn't let that deter you, When I searched 10 days out or so there were enough options.
Thank you for sending the program TravellingMan2022! I appreciate it. So when you watched and ran, there were still alot of runners at those last days of the festival? My husband is concerned that there will be fewer runners and not as much excitement! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you again! The video is wonderful and very reassuring to my husband! And I had no idea that were fireworks during the festival also so thanks for letting me know!
Thank you. I have spotted myself in the video! Fireworks were wonderful and on every night with a different theme!!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back