• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona River Walk

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve no idea what that is, despite spending several days in Pamplona! None of my guides mention it either. 🤔. Exactly where does it go?

I’ve no idea what that is, despite spending several days in Pamplona! None of my guides mention it either. 🤔. Exactly where does it go?
Before you go over the Bridge to Trinidad there is a turn off on the left that follows the river straight to the old quarter of Pamplona it cuts out the outskirts of the city. I saw Efren Gonzalez walk it on his recent YouTube video and I was wondering wether I would miss any major landmarks if I took it especially as this is my first Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ahhhh, PRIOR to Pamplona! I was fixated on the city itself! Yes, the river walk is flatter and maybe even a bit quieter, but it’s not the historic route and you WILL miss the opportunity to visit (and possibly stay at) Zabaldika, a great old church and albergue served by some lovely nuns. The small church is beautiful to visit and you may even have the opportunity to climb into the bell tower and ring the ancient bells! A highlight of that portion and a definite reason to NOT take the river route into Pamplona, though you should see if it’s open post-Covid.

If you are not staying in Pamplona, then it seems a good option. I did not have a good experience in Pamplona and would not stay there again although there are many on the forum who found Pamplona to be a highlight of the journey.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are two river routes into Pamplona. One veers off at Irotz, I didn't take that one, I went via Arleta. The other at the bridge before Batán Villava, right on the edge of Pamplona, is quite literally a walk in the park. That was nice.

The route I took through Arleta was when I started wondering why the hell I'd decided to devote several weeks of my life to this selfish quest. It is hilly and I was suffering. I started listening to podcasts and the BBC to keep my mind off being mindful and the pain in my knees. Everyone has their own camino but next time I'm going the river route :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You CAN walk through Zubiri and then later cut over to the river path - kind of gives you the best of both. It’s not waymarked but if you have any of the mapping or pilgrim guide apps, you can see where the paths run only a block or two apart.

There are two river routes into Pamplona. One veers off at Irotz, I didn't take that one, I went via Arleta. The other at the bridge before Batán Villava, right on the edge of Pamplona, is quite literally a walk in the park. That was nice.

The route I took through Arleta was when I started wondering why the hell I'd decided to devote several weeks of my life to this selfish quest. It is hilly and I was suffering. I started listening to podcasts and the BBC to keep my mind off being mindful and the pain in my knees. Everyone has their own camino but next time I'm going the river route :)
Thank you audio books are my go to when I need a distraction from aching feet on the last few km

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Would you walk the Pamplona River Walk alternate on your first Camino yes or no?
Yes, I have done it. The Convent on the hilltop is worth a stop also, but a pretty good climb. I truly felt the spirt of God at that convent chaple

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am confused by some of the posts. I walked through Zabaldika (turn right away from main Camino trail and uphill) and I walked over the bridge at Trinidad de Arre on the main Camino trail.

I don't recall the approach to Pamplona as "industrial".

I timidly rang the bell at Zabaldika once - the sisters had urged me go up the stairs to the bell tower and ring one of the two bells. Years later I saw a photo where one of the bells was broken with a "do not ring" sign next to it ... I am no longer sure that this bell ringing business for passing pilgrims is such a great thing. If I had to do it again, I personally would not want to miss walking over the Trinidad de Arre bridge and past the ancient building complex next to it; also, I have excellent memories of a pasteleria further along the Camino/main street where I stopped for a hot chocolate and some delicious pastry; do they have that on the River Walk?

As far as I understand it, the "River Walk" is not even shown in this map, it starts near the Trinidad de Arre bridge and it means that you walk through a city park along the river instead of along the main street of the start of the greater Pamplona urban area?

To Pamplona.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Before you go over the Bridge to Trinidad there is a turn off on the left that follows the river straight to the old quarter of Pamplona it cuts out the outskirts of the city. I saw Efren Gonzalez walk it on his recent YouTube video and I was wondering wether I would miss any major landmarks if I took it especially as this is my first Camino.
I just finished the my first camino. If I would have known about the river walk I would have walked it. It is better to walk along the beautiful river walk rather than the urban city streets.

Would you walk the Pamplona River Walk alternate on your first Camino yes or no?
We tried on our first walk. It's pretty, but not well-signed. We ended up walking an extra 2 or more kms. I wouldn't try it again unless I has a very good map. Our phones didn't help.

We tried on our first walk. It's pretty, but not well-signed. We ended up walking an extra 2 or more kms. I wouldn't try it again unless I has a very good map. Our phones didn't help.
I too ended up taking the river walk albeit unintentionally. I was by myself and thought I was lost. My guide and phone did not help me. While it was refreshing and shaded, I was quite anxious as there were no Camino markers. All ended well, except for a few extra kilometres.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Neill who is restoring the old monastery told us about the river walk and we chose to do it. (Yesterday) I love the sound of the flowing water. There were paths that we could take to Zabaldika from the river. (For now, nobody can stay there due to Covid). We did not take it.
The way I'm looking at the Camino is that no matter which way I go or who I run into, I will miss some opportunities and gain others. It is all part of our own unique Caminoes. There is no best answer for everyone. Buen Camino!

I took the river route into Pamplona in 2017.
In itself it is a beautiful walk along the Arga river, but it does an awful lot of meandering, thus adding quite some distance to the stage.
After the first few strenuous days out of SJPP, with my body still getting used to all that walking, I found that stage exhausting. For me, the shorter, more straight-forward route would probably have been the wiser choice.

I did it and I really enjoyed it in 2014. The weather was gorgeous and I thought it was much nicer than walking through the suburbs. I will never forget the moment when I caught the first glimpse of the Cathedral on the other side of the river and also when I entered the city right in front of the Cathedral.

You can make this decision right on the spot depending on how you feel.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took the river route into Pamplona in 2017.
In itself it is a beautiful walk along the Arga river, but it does an awful lot of meandering, thus adding quite some distance to the stage.
After the first few strenuous days out of SJPP, with my body still getting used to all that walking, I found that stage exhausting. For me, the shorter, more straight-forward route would probably have been the wiser choice.
I am not totally sure, but there are two rivers in question. One is the Arga, that you follow from Irotz, and continues on your right from the rest area after the short tunnel, along a shaded river walk leading to Huarte. The other is Rio Ultzama, which you can choose to follow from the bridge at Trinidad de Arre, leading you to Burlada, and from there you can see the view of the Cathedral which I think is the one referred to by the poster prior to my post. I am open to correction.

I am not totally sure, but there are two rivers in question. One is the Arga, that you follow from Irotz, and continues on your right from the rest area after the short tunnel, along a shaded river walk leading to Huarte. The other is Rio Ultzama, which you can choose to follow from the bridge at Trinidad de Arre, leading you to Burlada, and from there you can see the view of the Cathedral which I think is the one referred to by the poster prior to my post. I am open to correction.

Oh, I see what you mean. I wasn't aware of the Río Ultzama.
My route was the one along the Arga. Coming out of the under-pass of the N-135, where the public bathrooms are, I turned left over the bridge and then right onto the path that follows the river, and stayed on it all the way to Puente de la Magdalena.
On the map in post #16 one can see how much longer that path (blue line of river) is compared to the relatively dircet red line.
Can't comment on the Río Ultzama route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My route was the one along the Arga. Coming out of the under-pass of the N-135, where the public bathrooms are, I turned left over the bridge and then right onto the path that follows the river, and stayed on it all the way to Puente de la Magdalena.
On the map in post #16 one can see how much longer that path (blue line of river) is compared to the relatively dircet red line.
Actually, looking at another map, I see that the Rio Ultzama merges with the Rio Arga after Trinidad de Arre on the way to Burlada. It is a very pleasant route.There is a cafe, or there was before Covid, shortly after Trinidad de Arre on the river walk, El Molino. It is only around 5km to Pamplona from Trinidad de Arre.
Returning to the OP question, I would not walk the river walk that comes out in Huarte from the rest area below Zabaldika. I would climb the hill and come out at Trinidad de Arre. If you need shade and tarmac, take the river walk. If you would like a panoramic view, climb the hill, either at Zabaldika or at the rest area.

It's the fact it takes you directly to the Puente de la Magdalena that caught my attention, but at the end of the day I will make that decision on the day. At least the suburbs are nice and not industrial and there's also the Church and apparently quite a few bakeries lol, but I have to admit I am a sucker for a good walk by a river, I just find them so peaceful.

I'm not sure I would take the river walk into Pamplona, especially on my first Camino. My memory, like others, is that the walk into Pamplona along the Camino is not too industrial. Last time I went that way was during the San Fermines, so we stayed at the medieval albergue in Trinidad de Arres rather than try and find accommodations in Pamplona itself. Leaving quite early in the morning, I was happier to take the better marked path.

I would, however, take the river walk into Burgos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just finished the my first camino. If I would have known about the river walk I would have walked it. It is better to walk along the beautiful river walk rather than the urban city streets.
My guess is that the river walk in question here starts before the bridge to Trinidad de Arre. I can say with plenty of experience that from Trinidad de Arre to Pamplona, the traditional route is not industrial. It is a pleasant walk along the streets of the outskirts of the city, and leads you directly to a huge roundabout at the end of Burlada, from whence you look up, and cross the road carefully and enter the city via the french gate. el portal de Francia or call it as you will. If you choose to take the river walk from Trinidad de Arre, you have a truly comfortable and shaded walk parallel to the traidtional route. It has been developed in recent years. It too comes to an end at the huge roundabout and joins the swell of pilgrims approaching the cathedral via the traditional route that passes via the portal de Francia.

I'm not sure I would take the river walk into Pamplona, especially on my first Camino. My memory, like others, is that the walk into Pamplona along the Camino is not too industrial. Last time I went that way was during the San Fermines, so we stayed at the medieval albergue in Trinidad de Arres rather than try and find accommodations in Pamplona itself. Leaving quite early in the morning, I was happier to take the better marked path.

I would, however, take the river walk into Burgos.
Definitely taking the river walk into Burgos

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back