• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona suggestions needed.

Time of past OR future Camino
WOW. I have spent hours and hours trying to make a reservation in Pamplona on Sat, May 20th without success. I used Gronze, the Brierly book, places listed on Jacotrans, and even googled "albergues in Pamplona". I have contacted Places via their websites, by calling and texting using what's app, even trying booking.com. I have 1 more place I'm waiting to hear back from. Hoping to keep cost for 2 of us under $100.
If my last place contacted doesn't have an opening, I hope getting to Jesus y Maria early will allow us to get a bed (there appears to only be 114 beds). Pamplona is a highlight for me so I want to stay in Pamplona. My old bones/arthritis won't tolerate an impromptu night under the stars.
I do realize it is a Friday, and technically those leaving from SJPD on May 15th may be part of the bubble I am hearing about.
Does anyone in the Camino Frances brain trust know of another way to actually locate and reserve a bed on that date ahead of time. Or is there anyone who reserved beds that night that they can't use?
Thanks in advance. Yes, I know the worse case scenario may be to try to sleep outside but does anyone know how the authorities feel about that in Pamplona.

Edit--I found a place though air bnb!! It is in the historic area, private room, shared rest of apartment, with good reviews, for only $50.
I actually would normally reach Pamplona on Sunday. But I am jumping ahead to get there Saturday (my 4th Camino) because on Sunday, many sites are closed, and Sunday nights I have read that not too many tapas bars/restaurants are open.
I would encourage others to use Air Bnb as an additional resource. I noted about 3 other very reasonable listings on n the historic area.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @hikentravel1234, best of luck and Buen Camino.There is a second albergue in Pamplona without booking option: Casa Paderborn (see Gronze.com) but it is fairly small. I would also consider hotels in Zizur Maior (see Gronze.com) and shuttle between there and Pamplona by taxi or bus of necessary. I checked, there are still availabilities.

Fridays and Saturdays are popular nights in Pamplona and it’s not the pilgrims from Roncesvalles alone who need a bed. Thursday 18th of May is Ascension day this year. Not a public holiday in Spain but in other European countries - a long weekend and that encourages people to travel for a break or a longer time off work more than on other dates.

Casa Paderborn is a lovely option. No reservation possible, but they don't have many beds and might fill quickly. Booking-dot-com seems to have 3 options available under 100€ just as i write this. Airbnb does seem to have some more options.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This won’t help you but might help another pilgrim. Pamplona is a “party” city,IMO, on the weekends, as are some other places. When planning this stage, one of my suggestions is to figure out how many days you need to get to Pamplona and do not hit Pamplona on a Friday or Saturday night! Many larger towns/cities will stretch your budget in high season because of demand, especially on the weekends….Logrono, Leon, Ponferrada, Portomarin, Sarria, SdC. So if you can avoid them on the weekends by shortening your walk, or taking arest day somewhere, you might find you will have more availability and cheaper rates.

Last edited:
WOW. I have spent hours and hours trying to make a reservation in Pamplona on Sat, May 20th without success. I used Gronze, the Brierly book, places listed on Jacotrans, and even googled "albergues in Pamplona". I have contacted Places via their websites, by calling and texting using what's app, even trying booking.com. I have 1 more place I'm waiting to hear back from. Hoping to keep cost for 2 of us under $100.
If my last place contacted doesn't have an opening, I hope getting to Jesus y Maria early will allow us to get a bed (there appears to only be 114 beds). Pamplona is a highlight for me so I want to stay in Pamplona. My old bones/arthritis won't tolerate an impromptu night under the stars.
I do realize it is a Friday, and technically those leaving from SJPD on May 15th may be part of the bubble I am hearing about.
Does anyone in the Camino Frances brain trust know of another way to actually locate and reserve a bed on that date ahead of time. Or is there anyone who reserved beds that night that they can't use?
Thanks in advance. Yes, I know the worse case scenario may be to try to sleep outside but does anyone know how the authorities feel about that in Pamplona.
I would suggest an alternative to sleeping outside if you can't reserve is to stop a bit before or a bit after Pamplona. When my son and I were walking during the San Fermines we knew that accommodations in Pamplona would be very difficult to find. So we stopped some 5 km earlier at the alnbergue in Trinidad de Arres where reservations were not needed and beds were available and then walking into (and through) Pamplona the next morning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have enjoyed several and always spend a couple days when we pass through. Try Hotel Yoldi, or Hotel Arriazu it is our favorite.

Last edited:
I echo two posters who suggest Trinidad de Arre. A quick search brought up Wisepilgrim's reference. I am fairly sure they accept reservations.
all the best. From there, 5km to Pamplona the next day. that could re-arrange your stages slightly for a few days, you can book into Uterga.. over to you.

uterga:https://www.alberguescaminosantiago.com/albergues/albergue-de-peregrinos-camino-del-perdon-uterga/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is my first camino and when I was researching, the members on this forum said weekends can be busy so I booked my room in Pamplona a couple months ago for Saturday May 20. Like you Pamplona is a highlight for me so I hope you find accommodation there. Buen Camino.

Have you tried Pensión Escaray, Calle Nueva 24? I stayed there last year. It was inexpensive and comfortable.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hostal Acella under 100 Euros on Booking.com as I write this.

Advice to bed-seekers: Try not to arrive in the big cities on Friday or Saturday nights. Schedule your arrivals accordingly as much as possible.
Seems to be at least 2 properties at about your price point on booking..com and loads more <$200 ( a Lott more admittedly).

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back