• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Bayonne

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
It's January and it's cold and grey and misty outside... so there is no better time to book and plan a little walking holiday; specifically the Camino Baztan.

We're going to leave our car in Bayonne and use either bus or train to get back there when we finish. I can see there are a few buses leaving Pamplona each day... I wonder if there is a train route too? I've looked on Rome2Rio and cant see one?

Has anyone traveled Bayonne - Pamplona or Pamplona - Bayonne? Any tips? I'm assuming it will be fairly straightforward?

many thanks in advance :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Now that most of the cross-border rail traffic seems to take the high-speed Paris-Barcelona route there is not much going directly. Easy enough in a series of short hops though. Bus or train to Irun. Short walk to the local - Euskotren? - station then a little local train to Hendaye. A very short distance: if you're not pushed for time you could easily walk it and I enjoy walking across international frontiers! Then an SNCF regional train to Bayonne.

Edit: You could simplify things even more by travelling from Irun to San Sebastian and getting a Euskotren from there to Hendaye.

Last edited:
I've only walked from Bayonne to Pamplona - no help sorry. But you're in for a treat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ALSA (CONDA) operates buses from Pamplona to San Sebastian.

ALSA (CONDA) operates buses from San Sebastian to TGV station Gare Bayonne.

PESA operates buses from Donostia/San Sebastian to Place de Basques Bayonne.

Renfe operates Cercanias commuter trains from San Sebastian to Irun.

San Sebastian bus station is co-located with the Renfe station.

Renfe operates trains from Pamplona to Irun/Hendaye.

Metro Donostialdea operates a commuter train from Irun Colon station, located north of and across the tracks from the Irun Renfe station, to Hendaia, co-located with Gare d'Hendaye.

(You can catch the Metro from San Sebastian Amara station too. Its located across the river from the bus station.)

SNCF operates trains from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Bayonne.

Transports64 operates Euskadi Express bus 816 from Gare d'Hendaye to Place de Basques Bayonne. Some buses pick up at Irun Renfe station.

Hi @LesBras, this link might be helpful. It's a bus timetable for Hendaye to Bayonne. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it shows the buses that also stop in Irun. As others have said, you can take a bus or train from Pamplona to Irun.

When I was researching this journey a while ago, I also found a link to a minibus shuttle service between Pamplona and Biarritz Airport. Unfortunately, I didn't save the link or make a note of the details - but it could be worth enquiring about this at the tourist office in Pamplona.

Thanks for the replies... it really helps a lot! We'll take a look at the routes/options and decide where will be best/cheapest to park. We've got a while, we're planning on starting the walk on Sunday 20th August... but I think we'll book as soon as we can.

Thank you so much! :)

Hi @LesBrass, I looked at this again as I was checking the practicalities of flying home from Biarritz after I walk the Baztan in May.

I searched the Alsa schedule for Pamplona to Biarritz & Bayonne (you need to search for Baiona, rather than Bayonne). There's a bus that leaves Pamplona at 11am. With one change at San Sebastian, you'll arrive in Bayonne at 1.25pm. That seems nice and simple.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back