• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Burgos in a day!

Jennifer Daley

2 Girls and Their Backpacks
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 6/20-7/16 (starting in SJPP)
Wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to get from Pamplona to Burgos by way of the Camino path but not on foot...by train or bus? Having a hard time finding any helpful websites and we have to cut this time out to make it to Santiago on time to fly out to Italy on 7/17. We do not want to miss these beautiful stops along the Camino and renting a car is cost prohibitive. Thanks for any ideas/help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jennifer,
I don't know the answer to your question, but I did meet Justin and Patrick on our first day out of St. Jean Pied de Port 2 years ago. I had the privilege of pushing Justin for a while. They were extremely inspirational for me and my wife and for many people along the way. If I weren't at work I would post a photo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to get from Pamplona to Burgos by way of the Camino path but not on foot...by train or bus? Having a hard time finding any helpful websites and we have to cut this time out to make it to Santiago on time to fly out to Italy on 7/17. We do not want to miss these beautiful stops along the Camino and renting a car is cost prohibitive. Thanks for any ideas/help.
You can take the train from Pamplona to Burgos (Rosa de Lima?) train station (Renfe.es) It takes a little over 2 hours and costs €17-€25. You can book these via renfe.es but only 30 days in advance. If you would like to check out timetables bahn.de is a good place to start.

There are daily direct trains from Pamplona to Burgos but they don't follow the camino route.

The direct buses from Pamplona to Burgos don't run daily (except a few days in July) and don't follow the camino route.

If you want to follow the camino route as closer as posible, take a bus from Pamplona to Logroño with www.laestellesa.com and another one from Logroño to Burgos with www.autobusesjimenez.com

Would you be able to finish the Camino in time if you used one-way rental bicycles over this section?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I discovered a couple of years ago that Pamplona is well connected to Madrid, but a "transversal" journey can become complicated.
RENFE trains, as it has been mentioned, are a good option. You need to take a taxi to Pamplona terminal, or a local bus. But they don't go along the Camino.
For buses, you will most probably need a local company, going by way of Vitoria. Not along the Camino, neither.
You can take Estellesa from Pamplona to Logroño; it is a local company, but has a webpage. It stops in every town and village on the Camino, notably Estella. Landscapes are nice, but as terminals are rather outside the cities, you can only have a glimpse of distant church towers. From Logroño, this again gets difficult; I see only an ALSA daily service to Burgos. You will need to travel to Vitoria by a local company, and then to Burgos. IMHO, this Logroño option is too complicated, unless you decide to take your travel calmly, visit Estella, spend a night in Logroño, etc. -which is not a bad plan, actually.
Renting a car is obviously always an option.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
The train journey from Pamplona to Burgos (Rosa de Lima station) is comfortable and straightforward, however do allow for the fact that the station is out in the wild--- 7 kilometres from the city.
You probably need to take a taxi unless the authorities have started a bus service now.
Taxis in Spain are cheap.
Good luck.

From Logroño, this again gets difficult; I see only an ALSA daily service to Burgos. You will need to travel to Vitoria by a local company, and then to Burgos. IMHO, this Logroño option is too complicated

If you read my previous post on this thread, you'll see it's way easier and there are many more buses from Logroño to Burgos than one per day (not with Alsa though).

The train journey from Pamplona to Burgos (Rosa de Lima station) is comfortable and straightforward, however do allow for the fact that the station is out in the wild--- 7 kilometres from the city.
You probably need to take a taxi unless the authorities have started a bus service now.

I wouldn't say it's out in the wild but in the outskirts of the city. You can walk all the way to the city center (on a sidewalk, not on a berm) if you want. The Cathedral is roughly 5 kms away from the train station and the nearest houses to the train station a really short walk away from the train station (no more than 500 meters away, I'd say). There are buses to the city center.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As Castilian pointed out the only practical way is:

Estellesa bus from Pamplona to Logroño

Autobuses Jiminez bus from Logroño to Burgos.

Taxis in Spain are cheap.
Good luck.
There is a local bus service from the rail station to the old centre in Burgos - I believe it runs every 30 minutes and takes about 20 mins to reach the town centre

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First I wish you a long and adventure filled life. Walk to Burgos, you are young and can return to the Camino. If you cut out part now you will regret and wonder what was missed. Even after four days you are building a Camino family that will be concerned for you. I wouldn't recommend missing any section. The car rental option will keep you closest to the Camino but witnessing the joy of others might cause anguish. I took a cab for six kilometers years ago and want to return to what I missed....... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back