• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Burgos - May- First Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Hi everyone. This is my first Camino and I have found the advice on this site invaluable..

I start in Pamplona on 18th May and will walk to Burgos (hopefully) by 26th May and will return in September to walk from Burgos to Leon.

Was planning to take a Packa poncho, very light single shell jacket (235 gms) , very light weight fleece (210 gms) and rain trousers, given weather in the last week. Also taking two very light long sleeve RAB technical base layers to act a long sleeve tops. They keep you either warm or cool and protect arms against sunburn.

Because of a broken ankle sustained about 14 months ago (not sure sure how well it will hold up) I have decided to book accommodation ahead as don't want to risk having to walk extra long days because there is no accommodation available at my planned stop. I was only able to pre-book 3 Albergues (my preferred option), the rest are pensiones or hostals. All have blankets so I'm planning to take a silk sheet bag treated with DEET to beat any bed bugs. Any one feel I need a light sleeping bag?

The current long range weather forecast shows wall to wall sunshine from the 18th to 25th and temperatures from 25-28 C. So I will keep an eye on the forecast but as it stands I am planning to leave behind my light fleece (can always double up my two long sleeved t-shirts and light jacket if it proves cold in the mornings) and also leave behind my waterproof over-trousers. Maybe take along short spats to keep boots and socks dry in case of a change in the weather (but probably not).

In addition will take a shamarg ( Yasha Arafat type arab head wear) instead of a micro fiber towel. It will double as towel and sun protection, as well as many other potential uses.

Does anyone feel that any of these choices are unwise, given that the current weather forecast holds?

Many thanks for your help and sage advice

Chris

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Chris! Welcome to the forum!

If you are pre-booking your accomodation and the albergues have blankets (which you may not even need at 28 C), you should be fine without a sleeping bag.
Also, it may be wise to leave the light fleece behind, as you already have other shirts and the temperatures will be high. Walking at 25C+ for hours is quite warming! :D

But most important is that you are carrying what you need without hurting your own body. Have you walked around with everything inside the backback?
I walked more or less the same dates last year. There was a mix of sun and rain, but it was certainly not cold. I hope you have an amazing time! :D

I agree with all of your thoughts. Remember, ponchos are not fashionable, but they are also a warmth layer. Definitely leave the sleeping bag. With the poncho, leave the rain pants (your legs might get wet, but rain pants are really to keep you from getting too cold--that time of year, less of an issue). Fleece depends on your susceptibility to cold. I walked (July 2014) with the only warm layer as a rain jacket. Just fine. My wife brought a big fluffy fleece. She loved it. This one is truly about knowing yourself.

Buen Camino.
Jo Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Than
Hi Chris! Welcome to the forum!

If you are pre-booking your accomodation and the albergues have blankets (which you may not even need at 28 C), you should be fine without a sleeping bag.
Also, it may be wise to leave the light fleece behind, as you already have other shirts and the temperatures will be high. Walking at 25C+ for hours is quite warming! :D

But most important is that you are carrying what you need without hurting your own body. Have you walked around with everything inside the backback?
I walked more or less the same dates last year. There was a mix of sun and rain, but it was certainly not cold. I hope you have an amazing time! :D
Thanks Anmaya. I have trained with my kit and tested all my rain gear. Walked up to 20k over hilly terrain., but not day after day ( don't want to hurt my previously broken ankle before I arrive in Spain). My main challenge will be to pace myself! Promised my wife and myself not to push too hard and even get the odd taxi if needed to complete journeys to prebooked accommodation ( gasps of disapproval! ). Thanks Chris

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.