• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Burgos?

• Thread starter Former member 32445
  • Start date
F

Former member 32445

Hi,

I walked the way in May to June and want to go back already, just for two weeks from Pamplona to Burgos.
Can the experienced (Margaret) advise on best entry and exit point, I'm thinking it may best to fly into and back out of Barcelona? And also where I could pick up a credential, the Peterborough fe eternity unfortunately no longer provides them?
Many thanks in advance
Blu

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Last edited:
I am starting in Pamplona in Sept. and I'm flying into Santander from Dublin with Ryanair, and hope to get a bus to Pamplona.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

I walked the way in May to June and want to go back already, just for two weeks from Pamplona to Burgos.
Can the experienced (Margaret) advise on best entry and exit point, I'm thinking it may best to fly into and back out of Barcelona? And also where I could pick up a credential, the Peterborough fe eternity unfortunately no longer provides them?
Many thanks in advance
Blu

Hi, Graham,

Depending on flight costs, I think Madrid might be a more convenient entry/exit point. Burgos is much closer to Madrid than to Barcelona.

You can get a credencial right here on the forum from Ivar, he sells the ones issued by the cathedral, http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...l-pilgrims-passport-now-available-here.26316/ or you could get one in Pamplona at the albergue.

Enjoy your second camino experience! Laurie

Graham, it's logic to use Madrid (MAD) as your entry and exit ports, being the nearest to Pamplona and Burgos. Also ground transportation is easier: PLM to Pamplona and ALSA from Burgos. From wherever you start, check Easyjet availability to/from Madrid.

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Laurie et all,

Thanks for answers, I have really limited access to internet at the moment! I know!!! Had more on the camino!!! But it's so...

Just checking when I can I looks like one hour less on the bus from Madrid to Pamplona than some six hours from Barcelona to Pamplona, do you guys concur or am I missing something?

Thanks guys

Graham
Hi, Graham,

Depending on flight costs, I think Madrid might be a more convenient entry/exit point. Burgos is much closer to Madrid than to Barcelona.

You can get a credencial right here on the forum from Ivar, he sells the ones issued by the cathedral, http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...l-pilgrims-passport-now-available-here.26316/ or you could get one in Pamplona at the albergue.

Enjoy your second camino experience! Laurie[/QU

Hi,

Many thanks in advance
Blu

Graham,

Since I do not know from where you are coming I can hardly suggest how you might get to Pamplona! However, you could get your Credencial either from this Forum site, from an albergue in Pamplona or from the private albergue Roncal in Cizur Menor which is just west of Pamplona on the CF.

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret,

Credential sorted.
Travelling from UK, closest airport, Gatwick.

Should have detailed that...
Graham
Graham,

Since I do not know from where you are coming I can hardly suggest how you might get to Pamplona! However, you could get your Credencial either from this Forum site, from an albergue in Pamplona or from the private albergue Roncal in Cizur Menor which is just west of Pamplona on the CF.

Margaret Meredith
i

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dear Laurie et all,

Thanks for answers, I have really limited access to internet at the moment! I know!!! Had more on the camino!!! But it's so...

Just checking when I can I looks like one hour less on the bus from Madrid to Pamplona than some six hours from Barcelona to Pamplona, do you guys concur or am I missing something?

Thanks guys

Graham

It is possible to catch an ALSA bus from Madrid Airport T4. 5 - 7 hours including transfer at Soria or Zaragosa. Time varies for different bus schedules.

The ViBASA bus from Barcelona Sants takes 6 hours.

The ALSA bus from Barcelona Nord takes 6 - 7 hours including transfer at Zaragosa.

You need to figure in time from Barcelona Airport to Sants bus station (22 minutes via Cercanius) or Nord bus station (I don't know how long) vice transfer from Madrid T1 to T4. I can't get the ALSA site to show service from Barcelona airport to Pamplona.

If you are traveling from London I would suggest flying from Gatwick or Stansted to Biarritz. From there take train or bus to Irun, Euskotren to San Sebastian, and bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona. There is also infrequent direct bus service from Biarritz airport to Pamplona bus station.

Since you plan to finish in Burgos then Bilbao airport might be a better option. Bus from Bilbao to Pamplona is 2 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, IMO, even if the Barcelona-Pamplona trip may be as or more convenient as the Madrid-Pamplona trip, the way home is a no-brainer. Burgos to Barcelona is more than 600 kms, but Burgos to Madrid is in the 200 range. I stick with my Madrid opinion. Laurie

Graham, you can fly direct from Gatwick (LGW) to Madrid (MAD) with Easyjet. At least 3 flights a day. Cost of one way flight between 100 and 140 pounds at this moment.
ALSA buses leave from T4 of Barajas; there is free transfer from T1, 2,3 to T4 about every 10 minutes.
You'll need a bit of internet surfing between the various companies to figure out the most economical connections and note the travel times from MAD to bus/train stations in town (which are pretty near each other but a long travel time from the airport)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We had our credencials from the Cathedral of Pamplona! Easy peacy!

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, looks like actually a return ticket is only £75.00 from LGW to Madrid
Noted the bus times from alsa, didn't get your note about connections, looks like bus or with transfers goes straight from airport (I think with one change) to pamplona?
Either way, looks like the best entry and exit point, will probably book just one way as return ticket doesn't provide any discount, now it's just working out times for accomodation in pamplona for the first night, it's going to have to be hotel, which is expensive but will arrive too late for albergue and pension is comparative cost really to hotel I assume...
Graham

Graham, you can fly direct from Gatwick (LGW) to Madrid (MAD) with Easyjet. At least 3 flights a day. Cost of one way flight between 100 and 140 pounds at this moment.
ALSA buses leave from T4 of Barajas; there is free transfer from T1, 2,3 to T4 about every 10 minutes.
You'll need a bit of internet surfing between the various companies to figure out the most economical connections and note the travel times from MAD to bus/train stations in town (which are pretty near each other but a long travel time from the airport)
ks Guys

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.