• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Compostela Terrain

AdaR

Wannabe Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 biked CF; 2017 Portuguese by foot, bus, train (injury).
Does anyone know where to find terrain/topography maps of the caminos?
I am looking to bicycle from Pamplona to Compostela in September. From past experience with the Pacific Crest Trail in California, I know that there are groups that have put together section maps of the trail that include elevations. Is there such a think for the Caminos?
Maybe I'm being foolish to try to do this with only 2 months planning, but this year will be my only opportunity to bike the camino with my son, so I'm going to attempt it. Any tips and advice are appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can use the Brierley guide for bicycling, but the French and German guidebooks are designed for cyclists. You don't need language skills to use the maps and terrain guidance, and accommodation contacts are just phone numbers. Brierley maps are more like schematics than real maps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you have an iPhone, you could also try the TrekRight Camino app. It has profiles plus much much more. We found it to be invaluable.

Don't know if it's available for Android.

If you have an iPhone, you could also try the TrekRight Camino app. It has profiles plus much much more. We found it to be invaluable.

Don't know if it's available for Android.
I know it's an old post but I just came across it and took your recommendation and downloaded the TrekRight Camino app and I am really impressed with it and just wanted to say thank you for mentioning it I had not come across it before

Great stuff! Hoping to do the Camino again next year and I'm pretty certain we'll use TrekRight again. Always amazes me how people can dedicate so much time to developing such a resource and keeping it up to date.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This post (and the replies) does highlite the real lack of up-to-date and practical route advice for the pilgrim cyclist. A good friend gave me a copy of the 2013 edition of The Cycling Pilgrim (a Confraternity of St James publication). Whilst helpful a lot of the track/road advice was almost out of date (this edition was based on the 2010 ed). It did have the names and addresses of all the cycle shops along the camino!.
As was highlited above the French Camino publication is very good (especially elevation etc) however you do need to be reasonably fluent in French to get the most out of it. I used the Brierley book - and whilst his elevation data was helpful there was virtually no advice as to the suitability of the track for cyclists. I intend to get a copy of the German "Yellow" book so should be able to compare! Cheers

This post (and the replies) does highlite the real lack of up-to-date and practical route advice for the pilgrim cyclist. A good friend gave me a copy of the 2013 edition of The Cycling Pilgrim (a Confraternity of St James publication). Whilst helpful a lot of the track/road advice was almost out of date (this edition was based on the 2010 ed). It did have the names and addresses of all the cycle shops along the camino!.
As was highlited above the French Camino publication is very good (especially elevation etc) however you do need to be reasonably fluent in French to get the most out of it. I used the Brierley book - and whilst his elevation data was helpful there was virtually no advice as to the suitability of the track for cyclists. I intend to get a copy of the German "Yellow" book so should be able to compare! Cheers
Hi Saint Mike .I would be interested in hearing your opinion on the German Yellow book when you get it , and its relevance for cycling the Camino in particular.I start cycling my Camino next month,and I have a copy of the Brierley maps and just purchased the TrekRight app for my phone ( which has a handy off line maps section ) both show detailed maps and elevations but as you mentioned does not include the suitability of the sections for cycling.

Hi Saint Mike .I would be interested in hearing your opinion on the German Yellow book when you get it , and its relevance for cycling the Camino in particular.I start cycling my Camino next month,and I have a copy of the Brierley maps and just purchased the TrekRight app for my phone ( which has a handy off line maps section ) both show detailed maps and elevations but as you mentioned does not include the suitability of the sections for cycling.

Hi Arjk, I just checked the TrekRight and see that the last update was 2014. Would love to hear if you find that a problem.
Thanks, Joanne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oops, please ignore my message about TrekRight update in 2014. Turns out I was on their old website. I emailed with Eugene, and he tells me they update content at least every other week for the Frances. Also the entire app was updated in 2015
They are also working on versions for other Caminos:

"We are planning on covering several other Caminos, including Via de la Plata, though I am not sure on the timeline yet. Most of the research for Via de la Plata is already complete but the write-up is still pending (plus, one of our team is walking it again in May to cross-reference a lot of the content). The Camino Portuguese is likely to be the next one released; it is in final editing now."

Hi Joanne
Yes as you mentioned they update regularly I only allowed an update yesterday ( in Roncesvalles at the moment and the app seems fairly impressive so far )
Regards Alan
Oops, please ignore my message about TrekRight update in 2014. Turns out I was on their old website. I emailed with Eugene, and he tells me they update content at least every other week for the Frances. Also the entire app was updated in 2015
They are also working on versions for other Caminos:

"We are planning on covering several other Caminos, including Via de la Plata, though I am not sure on the timeline yet. Most of the research for Via de la Plata is already complete but the write-up is still pending (plus, one of our team is walking it again in May to cross-reference a lot of the content). The Camino Portuguese is likely to be the next one released; it is in final editing now."

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back