• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Leon, San Salvador to Primitivo to Santiago

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In 2019 I did SJPdP to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo. However, rather than the Primitivo, I walked to Avilés and continued on the Camino del Norte, because I had had to abandon it due to injury the year before. I wanted to finish the Norte. Hopefully, my next Camino will be the Norte/Primitivo combo.

As far as the Camino del Salvador goes, as you probably know, there are usually very few pilgrims on it. But there are enough albergues - just not too many places to stop and eat between stages. Some albergues ask that you phone them the day before to let them know that you are coming. @Elle Bieling's website is a good resource.

In 2019 I did SJPdP to León, then the Salvador to Oviedo. However, rather than the Primitivo, I walked to Avilés and continued on the Camino del Norte, because I had had to abandon it due to injury the year before. I wanted to finish the Norte. Hopefully, my next Camino will be the Norte/Primitivo combo.

As far as the Camino del Salvador goes, as you probably know, there are usually very few pilgrims on it. But there are enough albergues - just not too many places to stop and eat between stages. Some albergues ask that you phone them the day before to let them know that you are coming. @Elle Bieling's website is a good resource.
Thanks for telling me about the food situation and I did find Elle's resource. I like the sounds of the road less traveled for a few days, but generally prefer to meet folks. That is why I am also considering the Camino Madrid.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, @Jim ME,

I think that the Salvador/Primitivo is a great combination. In addition to the resource @trecile notes, you should take a look at Ender’s Salvador guide.

The author (José Antonio Cuñarro, aka Ender) is the person who is primarily responsible for the marking and the growth of pilgrims on the route. In fact there are now regular August reports of too many people for the few facilities. This was before covid, of course, so who knows what next August will bring. Other times of year there are others, but not too many. I walked in late June a few years ago, and the albergues in La Robla and Pajares were full, but not overflowing.

That is why I am also considering the Camino Madrid.

The Camino de Madrid also falls into the category of “untraveled.” It has had some growth in numbers since I walked it ten years ago, but I met a total of two on foot and a few on bikes. It’s a great camino and the albergue infrastructure is great, but there aren’t a lot of others on the route. Again, covid may change that since people are staying closer to home, who knows? But I would say you have a greater chance of meeting pilgrims on the Salvador than on the Madrid. The joy of the Madrid is that you will meet so many wonderful people in small towns along the way — they are friendly and helpful and love to talk!

Lots of information on all of these caminos in the different sub-forums

Salvador

Madrid

I am planning to do this route in late August and am wondering who might have done this and if there are any special things I should know? I like the CF to warm up and then a fresh path to Santiago over the normal CF route.
You don't say whether or not you have done the entire Frances before. We had a similar idea on our first Camino in 2016 but we found that by the time we reached León we had become emotionally committed to the Frances and all the people that we had been journeying with for the previous two weeks. So we stayed on the Frances.

You don't say whether or not you have done the entire Frances before. We had a similar idea on our first Camino in 2016 but we found that by the time we reached León we had become emotionally committed to the Frances and all the people that we had been journeying with for the previous two weeks. So we stayed on the Frances.
Yes, in 2019 I did the whole Frances. I liked St. Jean and the first day climb and the rest of the CF. I was slightly disappointed with the last week or so of the CF. That is why I am thinking of taking the San Salvador to the Primitivo. Looking like an arrival into Pamplona around August 15/16. No hard plans yet, waiting on Spain to open and more shots in arms to be administered.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, in 2019 I did the whole Frances. I liked St. Jean and the first day climb and the rest of the CF. I was slightly disappointed with the last week or so of the CF. That is why I am thinking of taking the San Salvador to the Primitivo. Looking like an arrival into Pamplona around August 15/16. No hard plans yet, waiting on Spain to open and more shots in arms to be administered.
Makes perfect sense then. I would love to do the Salvador/Primitivo route!

Thanks for telling me about the food situation and I did find Elle's resource. I like the sounds of the road less traveled for a few days, but generally prefer to meet folks. That is why I am also considering the Camino Madrid.
I travelled the Madrid in May 2018 with my walking partner who had done the Frances previously, to me it was very quiet we saw four people! she found it very lonely compared to the Frances. It was a nice walk. We also continued on the Salvador to Oviedo and encountered few people but still not too many 20 or so? Less travelled for sure but more than Madrid and it was more challenging and beautiful!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back