• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Logrono

Gadflyparexcellence

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
I will be on my first Camino beginning in the second week in May. I will start from Pamplona. I just wanted to know how the stretch between Pamplona and Logorono is. Is it mostly uphill and rugged or is it mostly up and down? How hard is it and what to expect? Any insight would be much appreciated.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you have a Brierley guide you will see a couple days of elevation gain but nothing that is as steep as crossing the Pyranees. It is primarily a rolling plain. Very interesting castles on top steep hills, a very cold Roman aquifer I found it wonderful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recall the downhill section from Alto de Perdon to Uterga to be surprisingly hard. The footing was bad on this section with rolling rocks where soil is eroded due to many walkers over time.

I certainly agree! Difficult in any weather but in heavy rain or fog it is hell. For an earlier Forum thread re such perils see this.

It's all a matter of who you are and what your own limitations are.
The trek UP to Perdon after Pamplona is easy if you just take it slow. There is a steep part, but it is a gentle incline and as someone mentioned, it is a HILL, not a mountain. Going down, there is a section for a short distance where the path is covered with loose rock. Just watch your feet, not the scenery and use sticks and you are soon walking on the flat again. The walk to Puente la Reina is then flat, and the rest is gentle rolling hills.
Don't be afraid. You'll do fine. I'm 64 and a wimp and if I can do it anybody can!

And just to be clear, the Camino is not a mountain climbing trip, and is certainly nothing like the Appalacian Trail or Pacific Coast Trail. It is more a long walk over hill and dale with a few steep hills to go over, but no real mountains (I'm from CA where we have mountains).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for asking about this Gadfly, and for all the answers, people (Especially for the link mspath, that was very helpful). I'm also starting my first Camino from Pamplona in early May- just before you Gadfly :) Just getting past the trepidation that I'm just not up to it - I've been through a few months of medical and emotional turmoil, could barely make it to the shops, let alone fling myself across the world! Starting to get excited now. I'd actually booked with a group 6 months ago. starting mid May from Ponferrada, then I've decided to walk a week or so solo first. I chose this section because it seemed to be varied and interesting.

Thanks for asking about this Gadfly, and for all the answers, people (Especially for the link mspath, that was very helpful). I'm also starting my first Camino from Pamplona in early May- just before you Gadfly :) Just getting past the trepidation that I'm just not up to it - I've been through a few months of medical and emotional turmoil, could barely make it to the shops, let alone fling myself across the world! Starting to get excited now. I'd actually booked with a group 6 months ago. starting mid May from Ponferrada, then I've decided to walk a week or so solo first. I chose this section because it seemed to be varied and interesting.

Good luck newgabe! As long as we take it easy and don't strain ourselves, we should be fine on this segment. I watched a couple of videos and it appears that both the incline and decline are gradual. Nothing much to worry about except our footsteps given that parts of it could be rocky and muddy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
PostScript to what I posted above.

Descending the Alto de Perdon I was always too anxious to take a photo, especially in bad weather.
Hence for pictorial proof of the rough terrain even in good weather watch this video of bikers found on the web,

...Same path, same stones for both biking or walking!! Not easy.

Last edited:
PostScript to what I posted above.

Descending the Alto de Perdon I was always too anxious to take a photo, especially in bad weather.
Hence for pictorial proof of the rough terrain even in good weather watch this video of bikers found on the web,

At the 0.52 second mark on that video. The peregrino walking on the right. Mad props to that dude. Cheap, cloth and string pack, ball cap, some cargo shorts and a sport shirt, generic running shoes, humping down the hill with a wooden staff. Too cool. He my hero.
Hey! He can't be doing the Camino. He ain't covered in high tech gear! :eek:
ha ha :D

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
At the 0.52 second mark on that video. The peregrino walking on the right. Mad props to that dude. Cheap, cloth and string pack, ball cap, some cargo shorts and a sport shirt, generic running shoes, humping down the hill with a wooden staff. Too cool. He my hero.
Hey! He can't be doing the Camino. He ain't covered in high tech gear! :eek:
ha ha :D
Thanks for sharing the video mspath. Of course the descent is somewhat treacherous. But the irony is that it seems that bikers pose a greater threat to the walkers than the path itself!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great video of the hill going down, I liked seeing the 2 people walking back up the hill, since most only walk west to Santiago. But do not walk or return the way they came

PostScript to what I posted above. Descending the Alto de Perdon I was always too anxious to take a photo, especially in bad weather.
Hence for pictorial proof of the rough terrain even in good weather watch this video of bikers found on the web, ...Same path, same stones for both biking or walking!! Not easy.

Which is why after conquering the "up" section (on my bike), I took one look at the next 250 metres (it look very "vertical") and decided the road was safer and offered a better chance of spending the night in an albergue rather than a hospital.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
PostScript to what I posted above. Descending the Alto de Perdon I was always too anxious to take a photo, especially in bad weather.
A Spanish cyclist using his BELL!!! He could be expelled from the Spanish Cycle Union!!!! (joke).

ah well
....pictorial proof of the rough terrain even in good weather watch this video of bikers found on the web,

Thanks for that! and, ah well then mspath, I think the fair amount of Australian bush walking I've done over the years will see me right for that path...for a start, there is actually a path! Though a wet slick/spring bubbling up on that kind of dirt with rolling stones wouldn't be so nice. In any case I'd way rather walk it than cycle it!

Last edited:
Here's the up and down from the Alto del Pedron. It's a steady up you just pace yourself up but the going down is loose rock and can be slippery. Trekking poles and zig zagging certainly help those of us who use these aids. It all depends on your experience and your comfort with traversing different terrain.

Slow and steady as it's your first day on the Way. You'll be fine.

D005_013.JPG D005_042.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ah well

Thanks for that! and, ah well then mspath, I think the fair amount of Australian bush walking I've done over the years will see me right for that path...for a start, there is actually a path! Though a wet slick/spring bubbling up on that kind of dirt with rolling stones wouldn't be so nice. In any case I'd way rather walk it than cycle it!

If you've walked in the Aussie bush the Camino won't hold too many surprises for you and the eucalypt forests as you near Santiago will be like coming home. The familiar sight and smell exploded in our senses.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just watched the video- YIKES I will be there in 5 days, feeling scared!

You will be fine Imsundaze.

As Mark says, just take your time, watch your footing and enjoy the views! Don't worry about anyone else. Go sure and steady and don't forget to enjoy it!

I did this section last week. Here's some brief notes (on my phone so very brief ) Wish Id stayed at the Order of Malta at Cizur Menor instead of the private hostsel as heard good reports of their kindness.. and its traditional not commercial.

Alto de Perdon easy peasy (dry conditions, wearing ultralight 'barefoot' shoes, pacerpoles)) Pretty much ran down it wondering when the hard bit would start. Found the climb up.to Maneru after Puente de la Reina much harder and the downhill after Cirauqui (raining) worse. The hostel there didnt deserve its good reviews.. not even a kettle for coffee let alone a kitchen bored staff
I am now a total convert to walking poles and think Pacerpoles deserve a nobel prize for design.
Abuela albergue in Los Arcos was good.

Overall its a lovely section nice changeable scenery. I recommend the 'alternative' route from just after Irache to Los Arcos through a bit of forest and Luquin. It's well marked ...and nice cherry cake at Luquin cafe
Viana is an interesting town to stop rather than pushing on to Logrono. Friendly Pilgrim Chill Tea Shop there and a gear shop if you need anything.
There are TONS of people walking and it was often chilly.
Enjoy!×

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back