• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Puente de la Reina (24 km)

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2022
I am a slow stroller and I try to keep distances at 15 km or lower per day. I see the distance between Pamplona and Puente de la Reina is about 24 km. I have not found towns in between with accomodations. Does any one have any feedback regarding this stage? Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When are you planning to walk? Many albergues are closed at the moment but most reopen after Easter. There are a number of villages and small towns between those two places which will have accommodation open then. Have you looked at the Gronze guide for that stage?

When are you planning to walk? Many albergues are closed at the moment but most reopen after Easter. There are a number of villages and small towns between those two places which will have accommodation open then. Have you looked at the Gronze guide for that stage?
We are planning on walking mid-October 2023 from Pamplona to Burgos. I have not checked out Gronze. I will. Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2018 I walked that section with two friends and between jet lag and the heat they were exhausted by the time we crested Alto del Perdon. Rather than continue to Puente de Reina I insisted we stop in Uterga (I told them we were there to enjoy the trip, and not worry about the distances) and we stayed at the Camino del Perdon hostel. Stopping early in Urtega refreshed my friends and they found their “legs” for the rest of our trip.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2018 I walked that section with two friends and between jet lag and the heat they were exhausted by the time we crested Alto del Perdon. Rather than continue to Puente de Reina I insisted we stop in Uterga (I told them we were there to enjoy the trip, and not worry about the distances) and we stayed at the Camino del Perdon hostel. Stopping early in Urtega refreshed my friends and they found their “legs” for the rest of our trip.
This would also allow for energy to take a left at Muruzabal towards Eunate. From there, Eunate, you do not need to retrace your steps, just continue to Puente La Reina.
It adds about 2km to your distance, but the price/prize is worth it.

The day you arrive in Pamplona get a stamp and walk on immediately to Cizur Minor. It takes 5 km off the next day. And as Alex mentioned above there are places to stop after the Alt de Perdon and before Puenta la Reina if you want to keep the day to 15km.

The day you arrive in Pamplona get a stamp and walk on immediately to Cizur Minor. It takes 5 km off the next day. And as Alex mentioned above there are places to stop after the Alt de Perdon and before Puenta la Reina if you want to keep the day to 15km.
Very good recommendation! I stayed in albergue Baztan in Uterga last April (book a bed beforehand and enjoy the day relaxed). Nice and friendly, and good dinner. Small, nice garden.

I also see (read) that many also praise the albergue Perdon in Uterga. It has a nice outside cafe where one can look at pilgrims passing :D while sipping a cold beer or whatever.

Will stay there next time: It will be an easy, nice day, starting in Pamplona (ca. 16 kms). I will start with a few short days. There is also a hostal in the village. Easy flat walk to Puente la Reina (ca. 8 kms) next day, with a break in Obanos. Plenty of accomodation in la Reina.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am a slow stroller and I try to keep distances at 15 km or lower per day. I see the distance between Pamplona and Puente de la Reina is about 24 km. I have not found towns in between with accomodations. Does any one have any feedback regarding this stage? Thank you.
Welcome to the club. I am a slow walker. Probably even slower due to injuries from traumatic car accident. Firstly, you do not have to follow or stick with the Brierly Guide book. As it says, it is "just" a guide. Walk your "own" camino! Walk at your own pace. Walk at your own comfort.

When my children and I walked the Camino Frances Fall 2022, we averaged about 11-13 kms/day. As a result we had an enjoyable and memorable experience. We enjoyed the vistas, a lone sunflower in the middle of a vast open field, the mesmerizing fog rolling down Alto de Perdon akin to a winter surf coming on the north shore of Oahu in Hawaii, even the cold and misty climb to Cruz de Ferro, and many others.

In Uterga, 17 kms from Pamplona, there is Camino del Perdon. Very nice and comfortable beds/rooms, great food, very nice tinto, there's even a signed poster of the cast of the movie "The Way." My picky children fell in love with the accommodation and its services. Noellia, the owner of the place and her sister do a wonderful job running the place. They even offered me room service after seeing my physical challenges. I thought it's a very nice rest stop before Puente La Reina.

Again, walk your own Camino. Set/create your own stages. You will find wonderful accommodations between the typical stages.

Buen camino. Ultreia et suseia.

This would also allow for energy to take a left at Muruzabal towards Eunate. From there, Eunate, you do not need to retrace your steps, just continue to Puente La Reina.
It adds about 2km to your distance, but the price/prize is worth it.
I have been looking at making a swing to see Euante. It looks like it will be closed in October. But I still want to see it.

Here's the map of this section from Gronze.

Screenshot 2023-03-17 133610.png

And the Gronze info for this stage:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here's the map of this section from Gronze.

View attachment 143156

And the Gronze info for this stage:

Thank you

I like the John Brierley "Camino de Santiago" myself. It gives a lot of useful info. You can buy it on this website.

Just in case you somehow end up doing the entire walk from Pamplona to Puente de la Reina in one day, you may find that it really isn't THAT bad. I was 72 when I walked it in 2019, and am a slow walker due to arthritis and other things, send my duffel bag ahead and have just a daypack, live in a flat coastal area (sea level), etc. To date I am still not sure why I found it almost enjoyable--maybe because I was accidentally taking part in a leap frog and running into some interesting and nice people from time to time. And some Italian men, young enough to be my sons (if not grandsons) would compliment me every time we ran into each other, and ask if they could both take my picture and have their pictures taken with me. Maybe there is a formula in this that I could sell;).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pamplona was one of my biggest highlights of the camino. Heminway, Running of the Bulls Statue, Wounded Ignatius Statue and more. Don't just walk through it. Stay and enjoy it for the night

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back