• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela-most difficult

Time of past OR future Camino
See Signature
I'm planning as best I can my daily itinerary and wondering what the most difficult stage(s) are from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela and what stage I may walk less km due to more difficult terrain...input?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is the link http://www.caminodesantiago.me/cami...-maps-of-all-34-stages-of-the-camino-frances/ to a profile map to give you an idea of climbs / descends ;-) Personally I find going downhill more strenuous (knees!) than climbing up. Also, don't over-plan too much, very few pilgrims stick to the stages they have planned beforehand. Oh, and yes, try to do the really heavy climbs in the morning when it is cool and you are rested and not, for example, in the middle of the day when it is hotter and you are tired. Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For many pilgrims everyday is a different struggle/ balance of the topography and the weather plus our health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure. Sections I personally have found most difficult include the final climb up to Ibaneta on the Valcarlos alternative, up and especially down on scree at the Alto de Perdon (see http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/avoiding-the-alto-de-perdon.17036/), the long slog into Burgos after Ages and, of course, any where in heavy rain, thick mud or snow. Thus in bad weather I try to walk on a parallel road.

MM

Oooo, I really like the separation of mentally and physically difficult above, and the mud is something we often forget as well.

My first walk into Burgos was a nightmare all along the busy street on sidewalk. I was by myself. The second time was barely noticed because I walked with two others at a good pace and full of laughter. Both late morning, summer.

If possible, consider leaving a couple of days "open". I know there is a better term but can't think of at the moment. Sometimes our Camino family will play a role in our journey whether walking a bit faster, a bit slower, or not at all. It's nice to have this option as well, but I understand sometimes it's a matter of catching a flight home on a certain day.

Also keep in mind how one's body usually becomes stronger as each week of walking goes by. What might have destroyed the muscles in the first week, may not even be a concern in the fourth.

A valuable lesson for me was to listen to my body not my ego.

May you have the best of all journeys, TammyLynn.

Most difficult mentally - walking into Burgos, Carrion de los Condes - Sahagun - El Burgo Ranero - Mansilla de las Mullas
Most difficult physically - Pyrenees, Pamplona - Puente la Reina, Rabanal - Molinaseca, Villafranca - O Cebreiro

Great answer with the separation of physically and mentally. For me, the physically challenging stages were so beautiful that time flew by and my body didn't feel it until I stopped for the day. On the mental side, that walk into Burgos felt like an eternity :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have just completed the Frances from Ibaneta to Santiago and for me, the most difficult stages were between Sarria and Salceda. Not because the walking was tough - the paths were mostly lovely and the terrain easy, but because I so missed the Camino of the early Meseta as after Sarria it was like the M1 for pilgrims and it felt so commercial and kind of diluted with so many people walking without large packs and taking support transport. Getting to Santiago and seeing such a wonderful place and pilgrims mass made it all worthwhile, but the change in dynamics of the Camino can be hard to fathom.

I can remember details of my walk vividly up until Sarria. After that, well, I have to read my journal because I don't remember anything, not even where I slept.. That is until I reached Mont do Gozo and the final walk into Santiago to the cathedral..I'll will forever remember that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The most difficult parts physically are often those with the most beautiful scenery a fair compromise, the most difficult mentally are those which lack aesthetic feedback-say the sidewalks leading out of Leon, the bollards leading into Carrion de los Condes, the walk around the airports in both Burgos and Santiago, do take the river path into Burgos and do capture the image of the cathedral in Santiago before coming down off of Monte del Gozo-a hot day walking with the trucks and over the highway are not particularly inspiring. Another less than inspiring way is coming on the lower route, the one by the highway coming out of Villafranca del Bierzo -Pereje-Trabadelo-Vega-Ruitelan, the option through the hills is what you want so head for the hills! You get tired there stop at Herrerias a tiny lovely place.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back