• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to Santiago tomorrow by train.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
Does anyone know what time does the early train to Santiago from Pamplona leave?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Stephen, I just see one train available tomorrow on the Omio app:
A6B15985-DEDA-4372-A3C5-94BFD018107A.png
I haven't checked the Renfe site so the early train that Mournes posted about above may still be available there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK. Thank you both.
I'll be there in the morning.

The 08:37 from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela involves a change (and hour-long wait) at Vitoria/Gasteiz:

PAMPLONA/IRUÑA Dep 08.37 VITORIA/GASTEIZ Arr 09.50
VITORIA/GASTEIZ Dep11.08 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA Arr 19.59

Fare is €44.10, can't be bought on the train (so buy it at the station, or online.) Looks like a long day! No idea what if any catering available, so you might want to use the layover at Vitoria to stock up.

The 08:37 from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela involves a change (and hour-long wait) at Vitoria/Gasteiz:

PAMPLONA/IRUÑA Dep 08.37 VITORIA/GASTEIZ Arr 09.50
VITORIA/GASTEIZ Dep11.08 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA Arr 19.59

Fare is €44.10, can't be bought on the train (so buy it at the station, or online.) Looks like a long day! No idea what if any catering available, so you might want to use the layover at Vitoria to stock up.
I'll get something to eat at the layover.
Much as I love Caminos I think sometimes they're not the answer. I wasn't ready for this one in a number of ways.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In 2012 I went from Burgos to SDC by train.
I was amazed that in 2 of the stops the train went into the station and came out in a reverse direction.
A few of the passengers changed seats, presumably so that they didn't travel backwards.
Also at 2 of the stations the train stopped for about 10 minutes and people got off and had something to eat and drink at tables set up on the platform.
Hope this helps.

I'll get something to eat at the layover.
Much as I love Caminos I think sometimes they're not the answer. I wasn't ready for this one in a number of ways.
Stephen, I apologize for my "tongue in cheek" comment. I didn't realize you had actually started on a camino and became discouraged. Hopefully you will try again in another season if you desire.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In mid-November?
It seems no time ago there were reports of pilgrims waiting long hours to get their Compostela. Probably different now.
But the purpose of my journey is to travel on to Muxia and spend some quiet time there.

Stephen, I apologize for my "tongue in cheek" comment. I didn't realize you had actually started on a camino and became discouraged. Hopefully you will try again in another season if you desire.
There's no need for an apology. Your comment made me smile.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last May we took the train from Santiago De Compostela via Irun all the way to Hendaye. A very full train , 2 very ordinary , basic carriages at each end of a small buffet car. 3 toilets but one was out of service.
Intercity, I think it was more like inter village, stopped everywhere and took 11 hours. On the plus side it was very cheap especially with our Spanish 6€ senior rail cards.
My advice to anyone using this route, take your food supplies with you, plus reading material / listening devices.

After Puente Domingo Flores until Quiroga, in Monforte de Lemos, and then when nearing Santiago, the train route basically follows or intersects the Invierno. It's a gorgeous journey, amd one way to enjoy the scenery of part of this camino without having to actually walk the ups and downs. (Likewise the train from Burgos to Irun/Hendaye, which follows the Via de Bayona a good part of the way.)

The thing to remember is that seeing the landscape from the train makes the it look far more challenging to walk through than it actually is. Don't let that scare you away!

On October 22nd, Jill and I had to wait for about 15 minutes. I imagine the pilgrim que has gotten even shorter now. :)
That's no need to wait at all, even if there are 300 people in the queue ahead of you. On the piece of paper given to you there is your number and a QR square that you can scan with a mobile phone, that will tell you what number has just been called to go into the office for the compostela. So you can go to your hotel, wash, eat, check the QR code in a mobile and turn up when there are about 50 people in front of you. No need to hang around at all. Very efficient, clever system.

€46,-
From about 1 November, there have not been more than 500 pilgrims on any day. I have been watching the daily numbers each day.

This means that the 2019 Camino season is OVER. The number of pilgrims is falling to a typical daily number of from 200 - 400 pilgrims.

You should have no problem getting a Compostela, regardless of what time you show up. Check the office hours. I think they open at 0900 from here on out. They MAY have discontinued using the QR ticket system as the daily volumes are so low. But, I do not have good knowledge of this.

Excepting long holiday periods, it will remain this way until next Semana Santa / Holy Week - the week immediately leading to Easter. In 2020, Easter is on 12 April. So, Semana Santa starts with Palm Sunday, the previous Sunday, 5 April 2020.

Second, I think there is a night train from Madrid that puts you into Santiago early in the morning. Itis one way to spend 11 hours on a train... just sayin...

Hope this helps.

That's interesting about the numbers, I was pondering popping over to Santiago for a fortnight to help out in January, to get away from the madness in the UK..... Sounds as if it'd be a doodle compared with October when we had 1,400 a day!

That's no need to wait at all, even if there are 300 people in the queue ahead of you. On the piece of paper given to you there is your number and a QR square that you can scan with a mobile phone, that will tell you what number has just been called to go into the office for the compostela. So you can go to your hotel, wash, eat, check the QR code in a mobile and turn up when there are about 50 people in front of you. No need to hang around at all. Very efficient, clever system.

I'm aware of that and if the wait was not so short, that is what we would have done. In fact, that is what we had planned to do until we saw that the line was so short. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We road from Bayonne to Santiago in 2013. We then had our bikes transported home by a local bike shop, and hopped onto a train which took us all the way back to Hendaye. It was an amazing journey although slow. But it was wonderful seeing so many of the landmarks we had just ridden through over the previous few weeks. A bitter-sweet journey however, because the day before we left there had been that dreadful train crash as the train had arrived in Santiago and taken a bend too quickly.

[QUOTE="FLEUR,]
Last May we took the train from Santiago De Compostela via Irun all the way to Hendaye.... On the plus side it was very cheap especially with our Spanish 6€ senior rail cards.
[/QUOTE]
I just googled Spanish senior rail cards!
Thanks for mentioning this (and my apologies to others for hijacking/sidejacking the original thread)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back