• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to SdC in 29 days possible?

pressnupu

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022
Hi everyone!
(1) I arrive in Madrid from Asia 10th May at 8am, and plan to fly to Pamplona the same afternoon (the train would arrive late evening; flight arrives early afternoon, giving me a half day to get acclimatised and hopefully meet other pilgrims). Is a flight from Madrid to Pamplona a good idea, or is a bus more convenient to reach albergue/cathedral? (If so, possible to book the bus in advance?)
(2) I plan to start the Camino (my first!) from 11 May. I need to fly out of SdC 8th or 9th June latest. Is it feasible to make it from Pamplona in 29 days on foot?
I'm a seasoned traveller and light packer, though this is my first walking trip.
Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Distance from Pamplona to Santiago is 694 kilometers, according to Mrs Google and cross referenced with my Guide book..it will take you 28 days..so with those statistics you are cutting it fine...however, when I find myself short of time on the Camino I hop on a train or bus (or taxi with like minded people), even a boat one year in Portugal! Remember. time pressure may cause Arrival Anxiety (Gethereitis) and may spoil the beauty of your journey....As regards bussing from Madrid...you have four hours on the road to look forward to. Buen Camino

Hi @pressnupu, welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of trains that would get you into Pamplona at a reasonable hour, see here: https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_ogjg. The 11:35 Alvia should be easily catchable from an 8:00am landing and the journey to Puerto de Atocha rail station is an easy ride on the Cercanias from the airport. There are also buses direct from T4 at the airport. www.rome2rio.com is your friend.

Pamplona to SdC in 29 days? Is do-able if you avoid injury and can walk 25km a day, every day, for 28 days. Only you will know the answer to that one. The best advice I can give is start slowly and see how you go. 25km in a day is easy for most people when all you have to do is walk. Its the every day bit that is the challenge.

Light packer; excellent! First time walker; get as many Km under your shoes as you possibly can between now and May.

Buena suerte & Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My guidebook says Pamplona is 730km. and they always forget it takes 5 km. to walk out of the middle of the city, so make it 735km. I am planning on taking 38 days to walk to Santiago, but am a bit older. I cannot imagine doing it in 29 days.

Distance from Pamplona to Santiago is 694 kilometers, according to Mrs Google and cross referenced with my Guide book..it will take you 28 days..so with those statistics you are cutting it fine...however, when I find myself short of time on the Camino I hop on a train or bus (or taxi with like minded people), even a boat one year in Portugal! Remember. time pressure may cause Arrival Anxiety (Gethereitis) and may spoil the beauty of your journey....As regards bussing from Madrid...you have four hours on the road to look forward to. Buen Camino
Thank you so much! I completely hear you about the Arrival Anxiety! I have to mindful about that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @pressnupu, welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of trains that would get you into Pamplona at a reasonable hour, see here: https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_ogjg. The 11:35 Alvia should be easily catchable from an 8:00am landing and the journey to Puerto de Atocha rail station is an easy ride on the Cercanias from the airport. There are also buses direct from T4 at the airport. www.rome2rio.com is your friend.

Pamplona to SdC in 29 days? Is do-able if you avoid injury and can walk 25km a day, every day, for 28 days. Only you will know the answer to that one. The best advice I can give is start slowly and see how you go. 25km in a day is easy for most people when all you have to do is walk. Its the every day bit that is the challenge.

Light packer; excellent! First time walker; get as many Km under your shoes as you possibly can between now and May.

Buena suerte & Buen Camino
All of this is incredibly helpful, thank you @Tincatinker! Yes, the train makes great sense; thanks also for the tip on how to get to the station from the airport.

I'm looking to add another day at the start (so 30 days total), and also give myself an option to leave from wherever I reach on 8th/9th June (I have to be in Edinburgh for a few days that I can't miss) and come back to complete it. Hopefully that will remove the stress (and the likelihood of injury) rather than turn this into a race!

Hi everyone!
(1) I arrive in Madrid from Asia 10th May at 8am, and plan to fly to Pamplona the same afternoon (the train would arrive late evening; flight arrives early afternoon, giving me a half day to get acclimatised and hopefully meet other pilgrims). Is a flight from Madrid to Pamplona a good idea, or is a bus more convenient to reach albergue/cathedral? (If so, possible to book the bus in advance?)
(2) I plan to start the Camino (my first!) from 11 May. I need to fly out of SdC 8th or 9th June latest. Is it feasible to make it from Pamplona in 29 days on foot?
I'm a seasoned traveller and light packer, though this is my first walking trip.
Thank you!
Absolutely. I walked from SJPP to SdC in 31 days. So, doing the math, my Pamplona to SdC stretch was 28 days. No rest days, but I enjoyed getting up every morning and walking. Enjoy your Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buses, trains, luggage shuttles, and/or fast walking makes your plan doable. The questions are if you are okay with possibly skipping ahead and are you a fast/long walker? At its most basic, the Caimno is simply a very long walk. What is physically possible some is no doubt impossible for others. Only you know those answers.

You may want to consider starting closer in (Leon? Burgos? Etc), which would relieve some of that stress, giving yourself time to enjoy the cities on the route including time in Santiago and a possible rest day in there.

Buen Camino

Yes, well possible. I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 29 days. It was my first ever camino, first ever long walk. I thought I was old. I was 58. Does that help? I swore 25km would be the max per day. Stamina builds up, and if it becomes necessary, as it did for us, in the final week we were well over 30km on a few days. If you are nervous about reaching Santiago, and you want to take a bus some day, make sure it is before the 100km mark if you want to qualify for a Compostela. Buen Camino!

If you want to walk at a more relaxed pace start somewhere like Logroño, then you could probably avoid the interruption of taking a bus or taxi.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Buses, trains, luggage shuttles, and/or fast walking makes your plan doable. The questions are if you are okay with possibly skipping ahead and are you a fast/long walker? At its most basic, the Caimno is simply a very long walk. What is physically possible some is no doubt impossible for others. Only you know those answers.

You may want to consider starting closer in (Leon? Burgos? Etc), which would relieve some of that stress, giving yourself time to enjoy the cities on the route including time in Santiago and a possible rest day in there.

Buen Camino
Thank you for this! I’m a fairly fast and long walker, but I’ve learnt to also listen to my body. Yes, I’m hoping to add another day in there.

Yes, well possible. I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 29 days. It was my first ever camino, first ever long walk. I thought I was old. I was 58. Does that help? I swore 25km would be the max per day. Stamina builds up, and if it becomes necessary, as it did for us, in the final week we were well over 30km on a few days. If you are nervous about reaching Santiago, and you want to take a bus some day, make sure it is before the 100km mark if you want to qualify for a Compostela. Buen Camino!
This is so wonderful to hear! I’m curious how I’ll respond to it once I start. Thank you for the bus tip.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good way to let go of that anxiety: simply tell yourself you have 29 days in Spain. And that’s a pretty nice problem to have. If getting the compostela is important within that time then simply keep options open. For instance: maybe bike a few days on the meseta to buy yourself some time. Don’t let worries be the thief of your joy.

Hi everyone!
Thank you!
I hope you have a wonderful walk! I agree with the others here, but can't resist adding my own experience. In March 2019 I walked SJPdP to Santiago in 29 days. I was 65 at the time and reasonably fit. I had no blisters or injuries along the way, which I attribute to amazing shoes, socks, and sock liners. My only regret was setting out from SJ the day after arriving on a transatlantic flight. I had a tough first day getting to the top of the Pyrenees (my first stop at Roncesvalles). I should have rested for a day before setting out. But I did it, foolishly, and it can be done. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did it in 23 days in 2019 and that even includes 2 days where I had to slow down a lot because I caught some sort of virus and a last day that was only a couple of kilometres as I was already so close to Santiago.
BUT ... stories like those should never be any sort of advice for unexperienced walkers. Even with the 29 days you never know how your particular body will react to walking long distance every day.
So as others said. If you need to plan tight and if the compostela in the end is important to you.. then keep your options open to skip parts of the way before the 100km marker when you realise it will take longer than expected.

I hope you have a wonderful walk! I agree with the others here, but can't resist adding my own experience. In March 2019 I walked SJPdP to Santiago in 29 days. I was 65 at the time and reasonably fit. I had no blisters or injuries along the way, which I attribute to amazing shoes, socks, and sock liners. My only regret was setting out from SJ the day after arriving on a transatlantic flight. I had a tough first day getting to the top of the Pyrenees (my first stop at Roncesvalles). I should have rested for a day before setting out. But I did it, foolishly, and it can be done. Buen Camino!
Couldn’t agree with you more about that rest day after a transatlantic flight. My experience was very similar to yours. Since then, I have built in a day after landing in Europe to recover a bit before starting my camino. Being a bit more refreshed has made the first days of walking even more enjoyable.

In September 2019, as part of my Camino from Dax in France to Santiago, I walked from Pamplona to Santiago in 25 days. I was fit, 57 years old and a regular multi-day hiker. My pack without water weighed 6.5 kilos. I thoroughly enjoyed my camino and did 'smell plenty of roses'! I walk a steady 5km an hour. I always start gently and extend my stride and my daily distance after a few days.
I'm sure others have walked it in fewer days, but it doesn't matter whether I or they *can* walk so far and fast, it's whether you can, and whether you *want* to!
As other replies have stated, perhaps gradually build up your distances. If you obviously aren't going to get there in your scheduled time, take a bus between towns on the way (eg Logrono to Belgrado).
However you decide to proceed, have a lovely and fulfilling Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A good way to let go of that anxiety: simply tell yourself you have 29 days in Spain. And that’s a pretty nice problem to have. If getting the compostela is important within that time then simply keep options open. For instance: maybe bike a few days on the meseta to buy yourself some time. Don’t let worries be the thief of your joy.
That is a wonderful problem to have! Thank you. I'm adding a day and giving myself permission to take it as it comes.

In September 2019, as part of my Camino from Dax in France to Santiago, I walked from Pamplona to Santiago in 25 days. I was fit, 57 years old and a regular multi-day hiker. My pack without water weighed 6.5 kilos. I thoroughly enjoyed my camino and did 'smell plenty of roses'! I walk a steady 5km an hour. I always start gently and extend my stride and my daily distance after a few days.
I'm sure others have walked it in fewer days, but it doesn't matter whether I or they *can* walk so far and fast, it's whether you can, and whether you *want* to!
As other replies have stated, perhaps gradually build up your distances. If you obviously aren't going to get there in your scheduled time, take a bus between towns on the way (eg Logrono to Belgrado).
However you decide to proceed, have a lovely and fulfilling Camino!
That's really helpful to hear, thank you! I will listen to my body and proceed with love!

I've walked SJPdP to SdC in 27 days. No Problem at all.

It is a matter of will and mind. Find your own pace, get well fitting shoes or boots and all other things will sort out. Don't mess your feet, prepare them every morning. If you do this, you will be a happy pilgrim arriving in SdC with a huge smile in your face.

For Pamplona I recommend the Casa Paderborn as a starter's Albergue.

Buen Camino!
Roland

Yes, it is doable. Of course it all depends on your physical fitness and also more importantly how you relaxed you want to walk.
I have actually started in St Jean before when I had an unknown amount of time to walk due to possible work commitments. I know I had at least 25 days, but not sure beyond that. I started off and played it by ear. As it turned out I ended up having 30 days and to make my time schedule to get back to work without being in a stressful rush I simply cut the distance and took a bus or taxi in a couple of spots around the halfway point to Santiago, making sure to walk the last 100 km's. I would guess I trimmed off about 3-4 days of average distance. It was nice and I met so many more other pilgrims. A new crowd with each jump over. There is no set way to walk the Camino and shaving off 1-3 days in distance in not a big deal at all. It's all good. The whole route, distance, "don't miss this, don't miss that" bit gets a bit over played IMO.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1st March 2019, Place Pamplona.
29th March 2019, Place SdC
Walked the whole way.
Cerfiticate (sic) says 729kms.
Me? At the time, 69yrs 10mths.
Do it again? Hell yea!!!
Camino Portuguese beckons 6th Sept. From Lisbon

I walked 42klms on day on the flat Messeta but had bag sent ahead. That was 2 stages! So u can lengthen a day if necessary like i did to shorten to time available.

Hi everyone!
Thank you!
Hello
This should easily be possible. I did my first Camino aged 60 from SJPP to SDC in 33 days. I arrived in Pamplona on day 3. SJPP to Roncesvalles then Roncesvalles to Zubiri then Zubiri to Pamplona and on from there. It averages out at around 25k per day.
Buen Camino
Vince

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
pressnupu,
Remember each day's walking is unique! Although the path be basically west actual realities vary greatly. Each day is a new juggle of weather, topography, pack weight, personal strength and endurance; one never knows how it will evolve.
Do practice walking with your loaded pack as much as you can before you set off.
Good luck and Buen camino

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back