• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona to St Jean

DaveAsian

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi everyone!

I am flying into Pamplona airport next month to start my pilgrimage (the French way).
Could anyone please tell me the best way to travel from Pamplona to St Jean (travelling solo). I will be arriving mid/late afternoon so I would be very surprised if there is a bus available but something like that would be great.

Thanks guys!

Buen Camino 🐚

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Look at rome2rio.com - but there is a bus that goes from Pamplona to SJPDP. Easy! You may have to spend the night in Pamplona though. There is also the option of taxi - but quite expensive.

The bus company Alsa runs a daily bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean at noon. My wife and I have booked for June 30. Since it is the only bus of the day, we are spending a night in Pamplona and getting the bus the following day. The tickets are 22 euros per person — much more reasonable than a taxi!

You can search for tickets at alsa.com.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Dave, the bus from pamplona to st Jean leaves at 12pm from the bus station. The bus station is across from Corte Ingles, you take an escalator down to the ticketing/bus area. I would go there when you arrive and buy your ticket for the next day, as our bus was full, then stay in Pamplona overnight. Buen Camino!

Hi everyone!

I am flying into Pamplona airport next month to start my pilgrimage (the French way).
Could anyone please tell me the best way to travel from Pamplona to St Jean (travelling solo). I will be arriving mid/late afternoon so I would be very surprised if there is a bus available but something like that would be great.

Thanks guys!

Buen Camino 🐚
I took the bus last September. It departed around 1430, and made one stop at Roncesvalles. I arrived in Pamplona at 2130 the previous evening by train from Madrid, so I spent the night at a hotel near the station. I spent the next morning checking out the historic center of Pamplona and grabbing lunch at Cafe Iruña before heading south a few blocks to the underground bus station. It’s a 1:45 ride and cost me around $30USD. I booked and bought the ticket online using the Omio app. If you don’t do that, you have to use a kiosk at the bus station - they weren’t selling them at the ticket window. I don’t know if that was a Covid thing or because there are different bus companies. My bus was Conda, but I see there is no longer a 1430 departure available. As others have said, a 1200 noon departure is available now.

Last edited:
The bus can be hit or miss depending on the your arrival time.
I've taken the bus and taxis. By far the taxi is the easiest, and the price can be close to the bus depending on your negotiation.
There are usually many pilgrims standing around wondering how to get to SJPP, so I just gather together the friendliest looking ones, and hopefully a Spanish speaker and get a taxi van to split the cost between everybody. It's typically cost between 30-40 EU.
And you start the journey talking to everybody and have a new posse before even starting to walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On 25 May I will be arriving in Pamplona, unfortunately missing the bus to SJPP by 2.5 hours. Is anyone else in this predicament and wish to ride share?

The ride share is a great idea, we were in the same situation as you a couple of weeks ago and I noticed someone else on this forum looking for a ride share. We connected and it worked out great, we made a good Camino friend who we meet regularly along the trail.
Our driver's name was Juan and his phone number (WhatsApp) is +34 689 80 01 52. The cost is about 110 Euros, but if you can split it, it may work for you too.

The ride share is a great idea, we were in the same situation as you a couple of weeks ago and I noticed someone else on this forum looking for a ride share. We connected and it worked out great, we made a good Camino friend who we meet regularly along the trail.
Our driver's name was Juan and his phone number (WhatsApp) is +34 689 80 01 52. The cost is about 110 Euros, but if you can split it, it may work for you too.
Wow, that is incredible information Miriam. Many thanks from a fellow Canuck :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone!

Thanks guys!

Buen Camino 🐚
I have a taxi booked on 14 of June at 18:30. We have 2 seats available to share. FYI

I arrived in Pamplona last week on 26 April around 1.30pm and had thought I would meet other pilgrims at the train station to share a taxi to SJPDP with. However there were only four other pilgrims and they were travelling to Roncesvalles. I shared a taxi with them but it wasn’t easy to find a taxi to travel on to St Jean. The receptionist in a hotel kindly linked me into another group who had booked a taxi which was very lucky. Next time I would stay overnight in Pamplona and book the noon bus - far less stressful.

I was wondering whether the bus from Pamplona is still in service in late September. I will arrive in Pamplona on September 21, in time for the 12 noon bus to SJPP, but when I looked at the ALSA bus website they didn’t offer a connection after September 11. Is this a seasonal route? And if so is an expensive taxi my only option? I would be happy to share a ride with someone else going that day. Thank you for any information.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took the bus on 20 September last year, and it was full. I doubt the route would be canceled 21 September based on seasonal usage. I checked Omio.com (where I booked last year) and also found no bus on that date. It does show a bus scheduled for 4 September but not 5 September. I suspect they or the bus company (Conda) only book 120 days out. If I find a 5 September bus when I check tomorrow, I will consider my theory validated!
P.S. Omio and Rome2Rio are affiliated.

On 25 May I will be arriving in Pamplona, unfortunately missing the bus to SJPP by 2.5 hours. Is anyone else in this predicament and wish to ride share?
Hi - not sure what time you arrive in Pamplona? We are on train from Barcelona to pamplona and have booked a transfer to SJPP from Pamplona train station at 1330 - we have room for 1-2 more passengers if you would like to ride share with us. With 5 of us its around 26 euros, but less per person if we add more passengers. Let me know if this would suit you. We can also adjust pickup time by a little to suit you if that works better?

I took the bus on 20 September last year, and it was full. I doubt the route would be canceled 21 September based on seasonal usage. I checked Omio.com (where I booked last year) and also found no bus on that date. It does show a bus scheduled for 4 September but not 5 September. I suspect they or the bus company (Conda) only book 120 days out. If I find a 5 September bus when I check tomorrow, I will consider my theory validated!
P.S. Omio and Rome2Rio are affiliated.
Thank you for this information- I was hoping it was just a matter of the bus website not posting the schedule too far ahead of time. I will continue to check the site.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi - not sure what time you arrive in Pamplona? We are on train from Barcelona to pamplona and have booked a transfer to SJPP from Pamplona train station at 1330 - we have room for 1-2 more passengers if you would like to ride share with us. With 5 of us its around 26 euros, but less per person if we add more passengers. Let me know if this would suit you. We can also adjust pickup time by a little to suit you if that works better?
Please count me in! That would be fantastic, thanks! I don't arrive in Pamplona until 14:20 hours via bus on the 25th. Is that OK?

Please count me in! That would be fantastic, thanks! I don't arrive in Pamplona until 14:20 hours via bus on the 25th. Is that OK?
Yes! its only an hour after we are scheduled to arrive. Where are you arriving from? I'm not sure where the bus station is in relation to the train station, is all. And how do we connect from here, other than on the forum? I'm happy for you to email me kirstymercer@gmail.com so that we can confirm contact details and arrange for connecting in Pamplona? I will let our ride share driver know. Sweet!

Yes! its only an hour after we are scheduled to arrive. Where are you arriving from? I'm not sure where the bus station is in relation to the train station, is all. And how do we connect from here, other than on the forum? I'm happy for you to email me kirstymercer@gmail.com so that we can confirm contact details and arrange for connecting in Pamplona? I will let our ride share driver know. Sweet!
I will email you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How/where did you book at taxi ahead of time? We are looking to arrive sometime mid August.
Taxi shares can be arranged by these people.

Thank you for this information- I was hoping it was just a matter of the bus website not posting the schedule too far ahead of time. I will continue to check the site.
I just checked the Alsa website again. Still no bus from Pamplona to SJPP on September 21. Does anybody know if the bus will be running at the end of September? I would like to make a reservation ahead of time.

As of the end of August, the ALSA bus from Pamplona to SJPP starts at 1:45pm. Our flight from Madrid arrives at 1:05pm and we will book a taxi instead leaving from the airport. Are there some other people who want to share the taxi on September 5? The taxi can take 2 more people. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is it easy to hire a taxi to go to SJPP from Pamplona at the airport in early afternoon on a Monday without advance booking? I worry about our luggage not arriving with us and we need to have a plan B which will be spending the night in Pamplona waiting for the luggage to arrive. Thanks!

On the Camino now in Borda. Just want to say that I did reserve a taxi with taxi Pamplona- teletaxi San Fermin listed above. We received an email confirmation but when we arrived at the Pamplona train station there was no taxi waiting. After searching for a bit we finally found a phone number and called. My poor Spanish and the woman’s poor English created a long confusing discussion. But, basically she told me to get in the line for the taxis and take a taxi. So instead of the 107 euros I was planninf on we spent 134. No other pilgrims with whom to share a ride. So just a heads up if you are planning to use this service to perhaps touch base with them the day before to be sure they show up and find out where they will be meeting you. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back