• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona train and timing

dramig

Time of past OR future Camino
First Timer
Hola peregrinos...

First, thank you for all of your knowledge in the past! I have a few questions in regards to timing and hostel access. There are 5 of us. going from Pampona to Logrono on a 5 day Camino (I know I wish I had more time). Here is the section I have some questions about:

We land in Barcelona (with a layover in London) at 130 on Sunday March 24. There is a 330 and 730 train leaving for Pamplona.
1. Making the 330 train is not feasible with customs and transfer to Sants station...correct?
2. Taking the 730 seems safer. Should I buy a 330 ticket on second class + so we could change it if we do not make it? I think the fee is 5% or 30% for changing depending on what I buy.
3. Suppose we take the 730 train which gets us in at 1130 into Pamplona. We would have a 30 minute walk from the train station to Plaza del castillo where our hostel is at. We also have to get a key at another location as the hostel does not have a 24 hour reception. Supposedly it is 10 minute walk away.

We will be jet lagged and on a 7 hour time change. I just want to make sure I am not missing out on anything here, Once we get on the Camino, most planning will be gone and we will find some ease. Walking across Pamplona at this time of night should be plenty safe I assume. Would public bus or taxi work out better? Does anyone have input?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walking across Pamplona at this time of night should be plenty safe I assume. Would public bus or taxi work out better? Does anyone have input?
Probably safe to walk but take a cab. I was looking for a bus from the train station but the timing does not look good. It looks like for buses you would need line N7 leaving from avda San Jorge, #71 to Bajada de Labrit. One leaves at 23:21 and another at 00:11. Departures from Renfe are much more often during the day with line #9. See https://www.infotuc.es/index.php/es/horarios-y-recorridos/linea/N7

The train station is a bit of distance from BCN and traffic should be a consideration.
Consider the 7:30 train. Once in Pamplona consider a taxi. The walk is considerable from the Train station as it is outside far and below the old city. The Camino runs thru the old city.. near the cathedral.

Another consideration, if you have time , consider spending the day in Baercelona take in the city...resting then taking the train the next day to Pamplona with fresh eyes .....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would also recommend the later train. Something else to consider is the reception hours of your accommodation - most albergues shut their doors at 10pm and check-in times for hotels can also be more limited off-season. So make sure you book a hotel that has 24hr reception, or else check in advance that your accommodation allows for late arrivals...

Something is not clear to me. Are you landing at 01:30 in the MORNING or afternoon?

I would exercise your option #2, buy a changeable ticket on the 3:30 train, and take a taxi from the airport to the train station... hustle to get to the train.

This is made easier if you clear passport control at London as you enter the Schengen free movement EU zone, before the (for the moment) inter-EU / domestic flight to Barcelona. Claiming your checked baggage at Barcelona and clearing customs should be easy. Thence to the taxi to the train station...

IMHO your focus should be to try to make the 3:30 train. Once you do that, all else falls into place.

I know this is hindsight, but one could have flown into Madrid and then onward to Pamplona on Iberia... Just sayin... it's what I would do...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back