• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona

Tihia

Hi dear friends,
My name is Plamen and will arrive at Pamplona late 13 of may. Would like to start my Kamino from Pamplona. Do you think this will be a problem or a have to start from France? If somebody is ready to start with me is welcomed.
All the best to you

Plamen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Starting from Pamplona is a GREAT idea, I think considering the snow on the pass into Roncesvalles! Be sure to stay a day or two in Pamplona to see the sights and adjust to the time change.
Buen Camino!

I started in Pamplona last year. It's perfectly possible, and is an easy place to get to via train etc. I just went as far as Uterga the first day, which was a good distance getting back into walking.
Margaret

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anniesantiago said:
Starting from Pamplona is a GREAT idea, I think considering the snow on the pass into Roncesvalles! Be sure to stay a day or two in Pamplona to see the sights and adjust to the time change.
But Plamen will start on May 13th. By that time I think the snow is no problem at mid May.
Anyway: Buen Camino!! Plamen!
In case you want to spend one or two days at Pamplona: Here you can download a list of accomodations in the old town of Pamplona. :D
Jochen

Tihia said:
Hi dear friends,
My name is Plamen and will arrive at Pamplona late 13 of may. Would like to start my Kamino from Pamplona. Do you think this will be a problem or a have to start from France? If somebody is ready to start with me is welcomed.
All the best to you

Plamen
NO, NO,NO! You start from wherever you want. There is no rule at all that you start in France. Recently, too much emphasis has been put on the idea of starting from SJPP, especially on this Forum ( in my opinion). Speak to most non- English speaking Pilgrims, especially the Spanish and you will find that the majority don't start from France!i Anne

It's a mistake many make- they plan to start from SJPDP because it's just before the pass. They arrive after along flight\train ride for a hard day of climbing. I suggest to start 4-5 days before that, on the Le PUy,French route, fly to Toulouse, take a train to Messlacq and start from there. By the time you reach SJPDP you'll be more then fit for the climb .
In any case, walk the first 5 km and sleep at Hounto or Orrison and make it easy on yourself the enxt day to Roncevalle.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annakappa is absolutely right, you start from wherever you like to start. Having said that, I started there this March and found Pamplona a great place to start the Camino, as it is easily reachable via train and bus. The city offers to be a great entry point into northern Spanish culture, and with Casa Paderborn has a great Camino entry albergue.
Enjoy and buen camino!

Wher do you get the credential passport from in Pamplona. Due to logistics, I may be flying to Barcelona instead of Biarritz, so I will start my walk in Pamplona.

Oooooooooh!
You could start walking at Montserrat if you're flying into Barcelona!

If you start in Pamplona, you can get your credential at Paderborn, at the municipal albergue, or at the Cathedral Office.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
toadoftoadhall said:
Wher do you get the credential passport from in Pamplona. Due to logistics, I may be flying to Barcelona instead of Biarritz, so I will start my walk in Pamplona.

You can get the Credential in Albergue de Jesús y María (calle Compañía) close to the Cathedral of Pamplona.

I have listened to the great advice on this forum. I am planning to start in Pamplona in about 2 weeks! Yikes!!

I will arrive at the Pamplona train station (from Irun) at 6pm (18:00).

Where should I stay in Pamplona on the day I arrive? Will the alburge permit me to stay since I arrived on train?

The Pamplona train station looks to be far from the Plamplona central. Any suggestions on how best to get to a place to stay?

Thanks in advance.

I arrived in Pamplona at a similar time of day from Irun, on a very hot day, and decided to take a taxi to the pension/hotel I had booked, which wasn't all that central but was close to the Camino route. (I already had a credential though.) I just thought the taxi simplified things at that hour in the heat, and it wasn't all that expensive.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
annakappa said:
- NO, NO,NO! You start from wherever you want. There is no rule at all that you start in France. Recently, too much emphasis has been put on the idea of starting from SJPP, especially on this Forum ( in my opinion)
Quite right Anna! Pamplona will make a perfect start. From my own experience Roncesvalles is a great starting point , however I think my last 4 or 5 starts (part Caminos , 2/3 weeks ) have been from Pamplona.

My next start will be from the Quaint little town of Zubiri. :)

Re: Pamplona accomodation

coldweather said:
I have listened to the great advice on this forum. I am planning to start in Pamplona in about 2 weeks! Yikes!!
I will arrive at the Pamplona train station (from Irun) at 6pm (18:00).
Where should I stay in Pamplona on the day I arrive?
The Pamplona train station looks to be far from the Plamplona central. Any suggestions on how best to get to a place to stay?
Thanks in advance.
coldweather said:
Will the alburge permit me to stay since I arrived on train?
Hello Coldweather. Why should the albergues not give you a bed? You have no other choice how you travel to Pamplona but with public transport!
You can download a list of different accomodations in the old town of Pamplona. :lol:
Buen Camino
Jochen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year I started in Pamplona and stayed at padabourne Albergue

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It's great to read all these comments. I am starting in Pamplona on 29 April. Both excited and slightly nervous as it's my first camino. Allowing about 35 days to get to Santiago.

My family will be starting from Pamplona as well, but we don't start until June 27. All of this information about starting in Pamplona is extremely helpful. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tihia said:
Hi dear friends,
All the best to you

Plamen

Thanks to all of you. On 14 of may I will start my Kamino from Pamplona. Hope will see you on the road. Buen Kamino and God bless you.

Plamen

Im starting from Pamplona too! I'll arrive on 1st august 2013 at 2pm....will probably stay the night. But im just wondering, how do i know which direction to walk towards? Will pamplona have the same yellow arrows?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Niconish said:
Im starting from Pamplona too! I'll arrive on 1st august 2013 at 2pm....will probably stay the night. But im just wondering, how do i know which direction to walk towards? Will pamplona have the same yellow arrows?

Niconish,

Don't worry! Pamplona definitely has 'the same yellow arrows' which lead you through the city, past the cathedral and eventually west along the camino towards Cizur Menor. Friendly pedestrians will also help you find the way.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

plamen,

you may start from any place you like. this is your camino.

buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Niconish said:
NO! Both albergues are in the backward direction of the Camino. So there are no arows to show your way.
The pilgrims refuge "Casa Paderborn" is only 300 meters from the "Puente Magdalena". Every child in Pamplona knows this famous bridge.
It is also near the "Plaza de Toros" (Bull ring) Just ask for it.
If you scroll on our website a bit down you can see a google map with the "Casa Paderborn"
The other refuge is quite near the cathedral.

Buen Camino
Jochen

thanks..... all this is walkable from
the train station? does this albergue sell a credencial?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can obtain a credencial de peregrino at the cathedral or at the albergue jesus y maria. You can also get one at the university of navarre.

Buen camino.

Everything is walkable, but the train station is almost the least accessible place in town. Allow yourself thirty minutes to walk anywhere in Pamplona from the train station.

okie dokes ! thank you all for yr most practical advice.... im less than 2 months away!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hi all ! in pamplona , credencials bought and beginning tmw :) thanks for all the helpful advice !

But Plamen will start on May 13th. By that time I think the snow is no problem at mid May.
Anyway: Buen Camino!! Plamen!
In case you want to spend one or two days at Pamplona: Here you can download a list of accomodations in the old town of Pamplona. :D
Jochen
Hi i was unable to download your list, page not found was the reply . Could you post it again. Thank you

Hi i was unable to download your list, page not found was the reply . Could you post it again. Thank you
You are replying to a post and a thread from 2013. Much has changed since then.

You can buy the 2020 Accommodation List from the Paderborn Camino association in their online shop. It is labelled "Der Schmidtke".

A 2021 Accommodation List is not yet available.

Online shop: https://shop.strato.de/epages/61989250.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61989250/Products/150
General Info about the list: http://jakobusfreunde-paderborn.com/unser-verein-2/unser-gelbes-heft-der-schmidke/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can buy the 2020 Accommodation List from the Paderborn Camino association in their online shop. It is labelled "Der Schmidtke".
Also available in PDF format for € 3,89. Download from the online shop.
Last update: 15 March 2020.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back