• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pamplona

cosan

Time of past OR future Camino
july 2016
We walk to Pamplona on Monday July 4th. I have heard that is a festival week. Will we have difficulty getting beds in the refuge if we don't arrive until late afternoon?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@cosan, regrettably you may have considerable difficulty finding beds in Pamplona even if you arrived at crack-of-dawn; never mind late afternoon. Although San Fermin does not commence until the 6th July the city will be filling and there will be considerable pressure on bed space.

I suggest that you adjust your planning to place yourselves well beyond Pamplona that day. Beds are more likely to be available at Cizur Menor or Zaraquiegui.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We booked Hotel Eslava, Pamplona on Booking.com. for €35 each including breakfast. Its convenient and on the Camino route

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just wanted to add some information that LT and I learned about this past summer while walking the Aragonés. The albergue at Tiebas, http://mundicamino.com/fichaalbergue.cfm?id=163&xname=Tiebas, like most albergues on the Aragonés, is under-utilized. The hospitalero told us that there are frequent buses for the short ride to Pamplona, and that he would let pilgrims walking the Aragonés spend a few days there to enjoy the party in Pamplona. This seems like the best of both worlds, because I for one would not enjoy trying to sleep in Pamplona during the festival of San Fermín.

Movelia shows a lot of daily buses, in the range of 15 or 16.

I love the albergue in Cizur Menor, I also love Pamplona. Usually I spent a good day wandering about Pamplona and set out the short distance to CM after 1400. Contact Maribel Roncal concerning reservations here: maribelroncal@jacobeo.net
then confirm just before you leave for Spain or from SJPP or Roncevalles by phone here: 670 323 271

Like Scrufy I, too, love Maribel Roncal's albergue at Cizur Menor having stayed there more than 10 times. It is open every month except November when Maribel takes her well-earned vacation. Nearby is the Asador El Tremendo, a fine spot for a tasty Menu del Dia. See more here http://www.asadoreltremendo.com/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Count me in the group that loves Maribel Roncal's albergue!! She's famous for tending to tender toes (she worked about 4 hours straight on this when I stayed there) and "lecturing" about the correct method of fitting and tieing boot laces. And if you are really lucky she'll let you feed the turtles!! :)

Hotel Eslava is one of the best places to stay in Pamplona, IMHO. I stay there every time I do the Camino Frances. It is clean, cheap, and well run by a very friendly family. While on the western edge of the old city, it is a a hidden jewel. The included breakfast is excellent. The hotel is just off (maybe 150 meters) the marked Camino route, just before it departs the ancient part of the city at the green ring that surrounds "old Pamplona."

At the intersection where you turn right to go to the hotel, instead of proceeding straight to exit Pamplona to the West, via the new section of the city, is St. Lorenzo Church. This is named for St Lawrence (Lorenzo in Spanish), who was broiled (grilled on a barbie) alive for his faith. His is the legendary story that has him, seemingly unaffected by the horrible death being visited upon him, telling his tormentors to turn him over as he was not yet done on the other side.

See the "official" Catholic story here: http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=366

Inside the church, above the altar, there is a remarkable larger than life-size statue of San Lorenzo, robed, holding a palm frond in one arm and what appear to be a grill in the other. My first time there, I invited a woman I encountered earlier that day as we were both checking into Hotel Eslava, to attend the Mass. She was entranced by the several gold and silver statues, but could not comprehend that statue above the crucifix atop the altar.

After the Mass, she pointed up at the statue of San Lorenzo, and asked me politely what "that was all about." I explained the palm frond and the grill by telling her the short story...saints on the barbie... She was a tad less confused but at least a bit more entertained.

Also, the Chapel of San Fermin, patron of Pamplona, and the fellow for whom the bulls run, is in the Church of San Lorenzo. So, this church is a very popular tourist attraction and is worth visiting, even if not for the Catholic Mass.

Funny thing, last summer, while working as volunteer at the Pilgrim office in Santiago,, I heard several of the locals on the Rua do Vilar comment on a particularly warm and sunny day that "Lorenzo was busy today." When I asked them what they were talking about, one of them laughingly explained that "Lorenzo" was a colloquial name for the bright sun. Ah HA! Now I understood, and the dots aligned...

Final point, every night at the Hotel Eslava, you may think you are hearing legions - hoards of female cats in heat, all night. I am a cat person and it distressed me the first year. The second year, after a two-night stay, I finally asked the owner what that noise was all about, was it cats? He laughed, really hard, and said: "No, there is a zoo across the street in the green belt space. The zoo has a number of peacocks. The peacocks make the sound - all night." Okay, memo to self; the next time I plan on staying there, and there will be a next time, ask for room in the back.

I hope this helps.

I just wanted to add some information that LT and I learned about this past summer while walking the Aragonés. The albergue at Tiebas, http://mundicamino.com/fichaalbergue.cfm?id=163&xname=Tiebas, like most albergues on the Aragonés, is under-utilized. The hospitalero told us that there are frequent buses for the short ride to Pamplona, and that he would let pilgrims walking the Aragonés spend a few days there to enjoy the party in Pamplona. This seems like the best of both worlds, because I for one would not enjoy trying to sleep in Pamplona during the festival of San Fermín.

Movelia shows a lot of daily buses, in the range of 15 or 16.
if we are walking from zubric how far is this albergue located?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
if we are walking from zubric how far is this albergue located?

But just to be clear, Tiebas is not on the Camino Frances, it is on the Camino Aragones, which goes from the Somport Pass on the French border through Jaca, and meets up with the Frances near Puente la Reina.

There's no camino that would take you from Zubiri to Tiebas. Tiebas is about 16 km south of Pamplona.

Hotel Eslava is one of the best places to stay in Pamplona, IMHO. I stay there every time I do the Camino Frances. It is clean, cheap, and well run by a very friendly family. While on the western edge of the old city, it is a a hidden jewel. The included breakfast is excellent. The hotel is just off (maybe 150 meters) the marked Camino route, just before it departs the ancient part of the city at the green ring that surrounds "old Pamplona."

At the intersection where you turn right to go to the hotel, instead of proceeding straight to exit Pamplona to the West, via the new section of the city, is St. Lorenzo Church. This is named for St Lawrence (Lorenzo in Spanish), who was broiled (grilled on a barbie) alive for his faith. His is the legendary story that has him, seemingly unaffected by the horrible death being visited upon him, telling his tormentors to turn him over as he was not yet done on the other side.

See the "official" Catholic story here: http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=366

Inside the church, above the altar, there is a remarkable larger than life-size statue of San Lorenzo, robed, holding a palm frond in one arm and what appear to be a grill in the other. My first time there, I invited a woman I encountered earlier that day as we were both checking into Hotel Eslava, to attend the Mass. She was entranced by the several gold and silver statues, but could not comprehend that statue above the crucifix atop the altar.

After the Mass, she pointed up at the statue of San Lorenzo, and asked me politely what "that was all about." I explained the palm frond and the grill by telling her the short story...saints on the barbie... She was a tad less confused but at least a bit more entertained.

Also, the Chapel of San Fermin, patron of Pamplona, and the fellow for whom the bulls run, is in the Church of San Lorenzo. So, this church is a very popular tourist attraction and is worth visiting, even if not for the Catholic Mass.

Funny thing, last summer, while working as volunteer at the Pilgrim office in Santiago,, I heard several of the locals on the Rua do Vilar comment on a particularly warm and sunny day that "Lorenzo was busy today." When I asked them what they were talking about, one of them laughingly explained that "Lorenzo" was a colloquial name for the bright sun. Ah HA! Now I understood, and the dots aligned...

Final point, every night at the Hotel Eslava, you may think you are hearing legions - hoards of female cats in heat, all night. I am a cat person and it distressed me the first year. The second year, after a two-night stay, I finally asked the owner what that noise was all about, was it cats? He laughed, really hard, and said: "No, there is a zoo across the street in the green belt space. The zoo has a number of peacocks. The peacocks make the sound - all night." Okay, memo to self; the next time I plan on staying there, and there will be a next time, ask for room in the back.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this, t2andreo, I attend a basilica where St. Lawrence is the patron saint -- he's one of my favorites, I love what he did to be martyred -- he was in charge of financial affairs and giving alms to the poor, sick, etc. When they arrested and killed his confreres, the officials told him they wanted the wealth of the church. He said it would take a few days to get it together. So he gave the money to the poor, and showed up at the appointed time with the sick, the disabled, the poor... and said, 'here's the wealth of the church'. Which is why he 'merited' a slow torture.

I will be sure to check out this church for sure!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How big is Pamplona ?
I booked a hotel ( catedral ) and have no idea how off the Camino it is
Thanks
Clint
Day 1 April 23 SJDP

Hi, Clint,
This hotel is very close to the Camino, off in a little square. It's right next to the big Navarra Archives and just a few minutes walk down to the market. I have stayed here, it's fine, nothing special, but the beds are comfy.

Off-topic trivia: this is also the reason why the famous monastery of San Lorenzo de el Escorial, close to Madrid, has the floor plan similar to that of a grill.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Clint,
This hotel is very close to the Camino, off in a little square. It's right next to the big Navarra Archives and just a few minutes walk down to the market. I have stayed here, it's fine, nothing special, but the beds are comfy.
Thanks for the info, hotel is rated very well

Thank you all for the advice. We have booked Hotel Eslava for the night. It will be a treat to have a private bathroom after staying in dormitories from SJPP!

Thanks t2andreo, i decided to stay in Pamplona to recover from my flight before starting the Aragones in April and saw a recommendation for the Hotel Eslava on the forum so i booked a room for 3 nights, its also a chance to wander around Pamplona not having been there before. Thanks for the tip about the peacocks, hopefully i can also get a room out the back. Buen Camino Judy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back