• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pan Gallego and Asturian bread

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I have some bread flour which looks as though it might be right for making Pan Gallego or the similar bread from Asturias.
I have looked for a recipe, preferably that uses yeast, but have only found one for sour dough that is far too large an amount for just 2 of us.
Does anyone have a good recipe that will make just one small to medium size loaf please? Metric or old fashioned UK lbs and oz will be equally useful.
:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have some bread flour which looks as though it might be right for making Pan Gallego or the similar bread from Asturias.
I have looked for a recipe, preferably that uses yeast, but have only found one for sour dough that is far too large an amount for just 2 of us.
Does anyone have a good recipe that will make just one small to medium size loaf please? Metric or old fashioned UK lbs and oz will be equally useful.
:)
Well, apart from advising you to halve the quantities . . .

Take a look at this YouTube video

Pan Gallego

It's in Spanish but the lady speaks very clearly and you can switch on closed captioning in English and there aren't too many "odd" translations.

It's more of a "sponge" method than sourdough. The sponge takes about 24 hours to prove rather than a week! I used Canadian Strong White flour (Allinson's in the UK) and Hovis dry yeast but activated it in some warm water with a teaspoon of caster sugar (so it dissolved quicker)

Then the hard work begins. It must have taken me about 7 hours in all to make it by hand. The first kneading, which takes her about 30 minutes . . . well I must have spent close on an hour including rests - exhausting!

It's also very sticky - if you're used to kneading on a floured surface then don't panic, just keep on working it.

I used a terracotta plate - it's actually a circular tray from a garden centre, normally I use it with an upside down terracotta bowl (also from a garden centre) to make a bread cloche -and line it with parchment paper.

I didn't bother with the "top knot" but did slash the top with a (clean) box cutter blade. After all that work it had flattened off quite a bit.

The end result was pretty good - not as good as hers but the crust was reasonably thick and the crumb, the crumb looked like a good quality sea sponge! It tasted pretty authentic too but I should have wrapped it overnight - the remnants the next day were pretty rubbery but it toasted well.

Would I bake it again? Probably not but we're all pretty much time rich at present and it was fun to do. I might sacrifice crust quality for speed if I do it again.

Sorry, didn't take any photos - too tired!

¡Buena suerte!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can you make the recipe and do smaller loaves, then freeze one? Bread takes very well to freezing. (In airtight bag of course!)

Can you make the recipe and do smaller loaves, then freeze one? Bread takes very well to freezing. (In airtight bag of course!)
I need to make a reduced size as my freezer is too small and drawers are not only too shallow but also too full to get a loaf in.
However I will try the yeast recipes suggested by @Jeff Crawley and @simply B - thank you. I can adjust the size if needed as I would for my usual bread which we make at home

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am baking crusty bread today! It's a no knead bread. Baking now in oven in my dutch oven pot.
Our daughter has sent me a 'no knead' recipe that looks like it will work from her description of the finished bread. It is a small loaf. If it doesn't work well then I will see if I can adapt one of the others above to make a smaller loaf than given in the recipe.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.