• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Panadol osteo

marjude

Time of past OR future Camino
4/2011 VdlP,
4/2014 Rota Vincentina, Portugues.
4/2016 Aragones, Frances.
4/2019 Madrid, Frances
I was a hairdresser in my working life and as a result I now have pain in the joints at the base of my thumbs and I take Panadol osteo night and morning. I’m wondering if it is possible to buy Panadol osteo over the counter in Spanish pharmacies and what is the Spanish name for it.
Thanks for your help. Judy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The data sheet indicates that these tablets are 665 milligrammes of paracetamol / acetaminophen .
Paracetamol is available in the pharmacy.

I was a hairdresser in my working life and as a result I now have pain in the joints at the base of my thumbs and I take Panadol osteo night and morning. I’m wondering if it is possible to buy Panadol osteo over the counter in Spanish pharmacies and what is the Spanish name for it.
Hi Judy
Strange that this topic has come up today.
I was discussing this product with my osteopath yesterday. I mentioned that a friend uses it religiously on camino and says she wouldn’t be able to sleep pain free without it., whereas it does nothing for me. I wondered if it was merely a placebo , lol.
I found that the ibuprofen available in Spain actually works on pain ‘if I ever need to use painkillers ‘

Also, my pal takes her complete supply of Panadol osteo with her to Spain from Oz, as she said she can’t get it in Spain? She’s a nurse.

Have you tried ordinary paracetamol for your joint pain yet?

Good luck and Buen Camino
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Telboyo for that information.
Buen Camino judy.

As an osteoathritic sufferer, like every joint, for many years I took a 50gm tab of diciofenac sodium, brands like Voltaren or Fenac etc, each night and morning.
Studies, a couple of years ago, showed a 16% increase in heart attacks for regular users.
The doc cut me back to one 50gm tab per day supplemented when necessary with Panadol Osteo. They were completely ineffective.
I now battle on on one 50gm Voltaren in the morning, taking another at night if absolutely necessary.
At home this equates to only one extra at night every couple of weeks, on Camino one every night.
I'm happy to take my chances against medical advice, and knowing the possible consequences of my actions.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Hi Annie,
No I haven’t tried ordinary paracetamol it’s not as strong as the osteo. I also take a Naproxen once a day for the pain and I’m reluctant to change anything because I did have trigger finger of my right thumb and I’ve had a cortisone needle in that which has relieved it and the pain and I will have an operation later in the year to fix it and I would hate for the trigger finger to start again while I am away because the pain was terrible. I have done so much damage to my hands just from doing people’s hair. I will ask my chemist about taking Ibuprofen with Naproxen and see if it’s okay. I was trying to get out of having to take so much medication with me.
Thanks for your help, judy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The data sheet indicates that these tablets are 665 milligrammes of paracetamol / acetaminophen .
Paracetamol is available in the pharmacy.

Everyone may already know this, but if you know the exact ingredients of your US drug, you will probably find the equivalent in Spain. Brand names will be different though. I think that is what @Telboyo is saying. I ran out of thyroid medicine and went into a pharmacy where they took out a huge book and looked for a drug with the same ingredients as mine and found it—totally different name and shape of pill, but the same medication. I’ve also helped a friend do it when she forgot her anti-depressants on the Camino. Pharmacies are extremely helpful in Spain, so I think you can be fairly confident you can get the same medication.

Hi Annie,
No I haven’t tried ordinary paracetamol it’s not as strong as the osteo. I also take a Naproxen once a day for the pain and I’m reluctant to change anything because I did have trigger finger of my right thumb and I’ve had a cortisone needle in that which has relieved it and the pain and I will have an operation later in the year to fix it and I would hate for the trigger finger to start again while I am away because the pain was terrible. I have done so much damage to my hands just from doing people’s hair. I will ask my chemist about taking Ibuprofen with Naproxen and see if it’s okay. I was trying to get out of having to take so much medication with me.
Thanks for your help, judy.
Ibuprofen and naproxen are both anti inflammatory medicines and shouldn’t be taken together.

I think, and someone correct me here if I am wrong, that once you get above 500 mg of Panadol / ibuprofen/ naproxen sodium / acetaminophen (paracetamol), etc. you need a prescription or a physicians ID. At least in Spain. Here in the US, everything above 500 mg requires a prescription.

I usual just double the dose of a lower strength tablet, and adjust the dosing schedule accordingly. IMHO, Your body does not know the difference...

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think, and someone correct me here if I am wrong, that once you get above 500 mg of Panadol / ibuprofen/ naproxen sodium / acetaminophen (paracetamol), etc. you need a prescription or a physicians ID. At least in Spain. Here in the US, everything above 500 mg requires a prescription.

I usual just double the dose of a lower strength tablet, and adjust the dosing schedule accordingly. IMHO, Your body does not know the difference...

Hope this helps.
I'm pretty sure I was given 600 mg ibuprofen tablets over the counter in Spain in 2016 with no prescription. I just asked for ibuprofen. (I may have asked for strong ibuprofen.) That wouldn't happen in Canada.

It’s possible. I don’t have a lot of experience with prescription meds in Spain. I have been lucky taking enough of my meds with me.

Ibuprofen and naproxen are both anti inflammatory medicines and shouldn’t be taken together.

@marjude
Good info above ..

I’m sure you’ll find exactly what you need Judy.
For anyone who hasn’t picked up medication in Spain before though. You can get pretty much anything you need in the farmacias there.,
but a warning if you’re from Australia... ibuprofen in Spain is available in much higher strength without a doctors’ prescription. You don’t want to go popping 2 if they are the higher strength ones. We usually have over the counter 200mg here I think. But in Spain it’s quite easy to get them 600mg - I think possibly 800mg??

Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can't take iboprufen as I take Nexium for GORD so I am hoping the equivalent of panadol osteo is available in Spain. I wonder if 3 x 500g of normal panadol is ok, rather than the usual dose of two? If the Osteo are 665 mg then that is a similar amount of medicatiom isn't it? 1500mg vs a bit over 1300? 😬

And paracetamol in Spain over the counter either 500 or even better 1000 mg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can't take iboprufen as I take Nexium for GORD so I am hoping the equivalent of panadol osteo is available in Spain. I wonder if 3 x 500g of normal panadol is ok, rather than the usual dose of two? If the Osteo are 665 mg then that is a similar amount of medicatiom isn't it? 1500mg vs a bit over 1300? 😬

The best advice any of us can give is to consult your doctor on this. I wouldn't experiment with Panadol. Panadol Osteo has a different formula, it's slow-release so is different from the "normal" Panadol - just taking more of the regular variety could put too much into your system too quickly. You have to be careful with Panadol - over-dosing can happen surprisingly easily and can cause liver damage. Please talk to your doctor or whoever you see who has recommended you take Panadol Osteo. Or if you are not taking it as a result of medical advice and you experience the kind of ongoing pain that requires strong pain relief, please do see your doctor.

'Ordinary' Panadol is exactly the same as Osteo Panadol except the amount in each capsul is different - 500mgm in the ordinary compared to 665mgm in the Osteo Panadol. The recommended dosage is max 2 tablets x 4 times in 24hrs for ordinary panadol compared to max 2 tablets x 3 times in 24 hrs. Thus the total amount in 24hrs is almost exactly the same. Check the directions on each packet for confirmation.
This is just a marketing ploy to increase profit.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
'Ordinary' Panadol is exactly the same as Osteo Panadol except the amount in each capsul is different - 500mgm in the ordinary compared to 665mgm in the Osteo Panadol. The recommended dosage is max 2 tablets x 4 times in 24hrs for ordinary panadol compared to max 2 tablets x 3 times in 24 hrs. Thus the total amount in 24hrs is almost exactly the same. Check the directions on each packet for confirmation.
Yes,, im sure that was the conclusion that our consumer watchdog "choice" came to

Thank you everyone for your information and help.

I will consult my chemist as to what I shouldn’t take with Naproxen and if I can just take ordinary panadol while in Spain. If I can just buy a paracetamol over the counter it will be much easier than carry it all.

Buen Camino judy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
David, as another person mentioned here, the Panadol Oates is slow release. Hence good at night to get you through. I always thought it was a marketing ploy too but my chemist friend explained the difference

A lot of misinformation here. Panadol Osteo is an extended release version of Paracetamol. It’s sold in Australia, NZ and other countries in Oceania. In the US it’s known as acetaminophen or Tylenol. You are getting the same dosage as regular Paracetamol but it lasts 8 hours rather than 4-6 hours. Bringing this on the plane with you to any country should not be a problem.

QUOTE="marjude, post: 714981, member: 9509"]
[/QUOTE]

In Spain it’s called Gelocatil 650 mg and according to what I found online, a prescription is not required.

No, it really isn't and it's emphatically not a marketing ploy. It's true that many brand name drugs are exactly the same as generics which are far cheaper, but in this case there is a very important difference which could destroy your liver if you get it wrong.

The Pananadol Osteo is a slow release formula, which will release over a period of time. The ordinary stuff isn't and you will absorb the whole dose relatively quickly. If you take more of the ordinary one you could end up with far too much being absorbed at once, and paracetamol is dangerous even in a small overdose.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.