• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Pandemic Camino Return to US

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
Just a follow up from my recent mini Ourense to Santiago Camino coming from the US.
Most things albergues, restaurantes were open or opening. Flexibility and being open especially important during this time.
Most of the Pilgrims are Spanish, a smattering of Portuguese, Italian, French and Dutch.
Met no one from the US. Spaniards were a little shocked and delighted to see me. Most people wanted to share their pandemic stories. Very moving.
The requirements and the actual process to enter the US were nerve racking and filled with uncertainty. For US you need the antigen others in EU were required PCR. The prices all over the place and insane. Barajas has a 15 min antigen result for 25 e and are now fully booked for several weeks. In Santiago this past Friday it was a struggle to find a place to get the antigen price range 30-90 euros. PCR no availability on Friday and costs over 120-150 e. A Dutch pilgrim missed his flight home.
At Santiago airport they asked to see PCR, I showed them antigen and they moved me along. In Barajas Iberia Salud also asked for PCR and accepted antigen and stamped my boarding pass after requiring filling out a brief form with signature.
In the US they asked for nothing (???) and waved me in.
All of these are moving targets and change constantly. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, at the airport. Here is website that allow you to make appointment and has all the information.

Attachments

• 45D99A75-D288-40A2-94A5-C5DC20BD77FE.png
    45D99A75-D288-40A2-94A5-C5DC20BD77FE.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just a follow up from my recent mini Ourense to Santiago Camino coming from the US.
Most things albergues, restaurantes were open or opening. Flexibility and being open especially important during this time.
Most of the Pilgrims are Spanish, a smattering of Portuguese, Italian, French and Dutch.
Met no one from the US. Spaniards were a little shocked and delighted to see me. Most people wanted to share their pandemic stories. Very moving.
The requirements and the actual process to enter the US were nerve racking and filled with uncertainty. For US you need the antigen others in EU were required PCR. The prices all over the place and insane. Barajas has a 15 min antigen result for 25 e and are now fully booked for several weeks. In Santiago this past Friday it was a struggle to find a place to get the antigen price range 30-90 euros. PCR no availability on Friday and costs over 120-150 e. A Dutch pilgrim missed his flight home.
At Santiago airport they asked to see PCR, I showed them antigen and they moved me along. In Barajas Iberia Salud also asked for PCR and accepted antigen and stamped my boarding pass after requiring filling out a brief form with signature.
I talked to that Dutch pilgrim in San Martin Pinario Friday morning. By chance I heard him talking to the staff attemping to organize a test for him. I tried to help him out as we were booked on the same flight out and I had had my PCR test done the previous morning for €100 at Laboratoria Clínica Compostela. I assumed it didn't work out for him since I didn't see him on the plane.
Lesson: book a PCR test if needed a day in advance!

I talked to that Dutch pilgrim in San Martin Pinario Friday morning. By chance I heard him talking to the staff attemping to organize a test for him. I tried to help him out as we were booked on the same flight out and I had had my PCR test done the previous morning for €100 at Laboratoria Clínica Compostela. I assumed it didn't work out for him since I didn't see him on the plane.
Lesson: book a PCR test if needed a day in advance!
LTFIT, What a small 🌎. Wish we could have met. I was there at the counter at 8 am on Friday as well, helping translate for him. They eventually found him a place that afternoon for 120€ (btw thanks for this symbol) he was able to leave on Saturday, I saw him at breakfast , he was breathing a sigh of relief.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
LTFIT, What a small 🌎. Wish we could have met. I was there at the counter at 8 am on Friday as well, helping translate for him. They eventually found him a place that afternoon for 120€ (btw thanks for this symbol) he was able to leave on Saturday, I saw him at breakfast , he was breathing a sigh of relief.
What a small world indeed! We probably passed each other in the hall without knowing it!

I talked to that Dutch pilgrim in San Martin Pinario Friday morning. By chance I heard him talking to the staff attemping to organize a test for him.
Why did he have to take a test flying from Spain to The Netherlands? Because he wasn't fully vaccinated?

I don’t really understand ‘antigen?’ If you’ve had the vaccination do you need to get this test to return to the US?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don’t really understand ‘antigen?’ If you’ve had the vaccination do you need to get this test to return to the US?
Currently, yes you need a negative Covid test, either PCR or antigen before you can board a flight to the US.

Just like @trecile said, even when fully vaccinated to enter the US you must show a negative antigen test (which is pretty much a garbage test) or a PCR which is much more expensive and takes longer to process. It blew my mind that US immigration on my return didn’t ask for it. What is certain is that rules will be constantly changing. If one can’t bear that kind of stress, perhaps waiting as things settle more will let you prolong the Camino well-being.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
even when fully vaccinated to enter the US you must show a negative antigen test (which is pretty much a garbage test) or a PCR which is much more expensive and takes longer to process. It blew my mind that US immigration on my return didn’t ask for it.
Maybe they don't ask for it at US immigration because you wouldn't have been able to board the plane without it?

We had to have a negative PCR test to enter The Netherlands, even if fully vaccinated (as I am).
(Sorry @MinaKamina I didn't see your response before posting mine)

Heh. It won't hurt to repeat this every once in a while.

A full vaccination is not a free pass, although some seem to think that it is.

you still can get infected
.... and ill with covid
you may carry an unknown variant of the virus across the ocean
you still can pass the virus on to others

All these risks are smaller with a full vaccination, but they exist.
Hence testing, testing and testing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
FWIW we used this site to look up a clinic in Logroño that can do rapid antigen tests for 40€.

We fly out Friday so our testing window opens Tuesday. I went to the clinic today to confirm that I had understood. They told me that we can pay through the website or in cash as we prefer. They are very busy but they were able to get me an appointment on my desired day, and there are several clinics in Logroño (more in larger cities).

I wondered about that, however isn’t strange that they shift the responsibility to the airline?
There are lots of things that airlines already need to check for, such as if people have the correct visas to fly to their destinations. Airlines need to check these things, because if they let a passenger on the plane without the correct documentation to enter a country, and the passenger is turned away, then the airline has to fly them home again. And I think that not just the US government, but the airlines want to make sure that people infected with Covid aren't on their planes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wondered about that, however isn’t strange that they shift the responsibility to the airline?
It was Vueling who verified that I had a negative PCR test result before boarding. On the Amsterdam side (Europa Air which is also Spanish) they did not ask for a result. When I arrived in Madrid they only wanted the QR code from the health form.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

.... and ill with covid

To your point. I’m fully vaccinated US citizen and had to have PCR test within 72 hr window to fly to Hawaii, upload PDF to an app and show QR code and get prechwck bracelet before boarding. We were check at exit. Testing keeps all safe but starting in July, many testing stations are reducing size, hours and also closing down (we asked at our local station).

.... and ill with covid

Well said mate, absolutely nailed it

Quick question:
Please define: . PCR
. Antigen
Guess I’m a bit out of the loop on this stuff.
planning Mid-August step-off for VDLP

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Quick question:
Please define: . PCR
. Antigen
Guess I’m a bit out of the loop on this stuff.
planning Mid-August step-off for VDLP

Thank you for this information. Does a US citizen need to supply a negative COVID test in order to board a plane in Santiago to fly to Madrid? I had planned to wait and get the test at Barajas before flying back to the US from Madrid.

Can anyone speak to your experience getting the test at the Madrid airport? Specifically - did they take you on time and with the 15 min test - is it really 15 min? I'm just trying to figure out how much time to allocate... I'll probably have to get from T4 to T1 as well to catch an 11:15 flight - on a Sunday - when would you recommend scheduling the test that morning?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@ Don’s Brother, @Brooklyn: As of now, a US citizen needs a negative Covid test to fly back to the US. Rapid antigen is acceptable and is way cheaper than PCR must be done within 3 d margin. All the slots at Barajas are filled for the next couple of weeks. Currently NOT an option to get tested at Madrid airport. To fly from Santiago to Madrid or elsewhere within Spain no Covid test required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back