• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pants Falling Down?

Chuck Cunningham

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting April, 15, 2017
I'm a rotund guy, about 5'8" and 240 lbs. Had a huge problem with my hiking pants/shorts constantly falling down while I hike. Belts just don't do it for meIMG_20170328_210938[1].jpg IMG_20170328_210938[1].jpg so I came up with this cheap solution. Maybe there are others but i havent seen any. Just not trying to steal anyone's glory. LOL To make these all one needs is a piece of 1/8th inch flexible shock cord and 3 light aluminum caribeaners . These work great for me. Once you tie the up it's pretty easy to adjust them for the right amount of tension. Only takes minutes to make these up. Picture sucks but then again i am no photographer.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
0328172055[1].jpg
Home made suspenders!!! You can also use them to hang your wet clothes on to dry?
Great idea Chuck...........
Home made suspenders!!! You can also use them to hang your wet clothes on to dry?
Great idea Chuck...........

Excellent idea. You can also find some of these bread bag ties on ebay, about 50 for a dollar or so and they make great, lightweight clothespin substitutes. To use with your new Chuck Man Suspender Clothes Line. Works great while in transit. Used on the AT.

Attachments

• 0328172054[1].jpg
    0328172054[1].jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 32799

Excellent idea. You can also find some of these bread bag ties on ebay, about 50 for a dollar or so and they make great, lightweight clothespin substitutes. To use with your new Chuck Man Suspender Clothes Line. Works great while in transit. Used on the AT.
Ok, so I admit it I'm a flex cord junkie. I use them on my0328172116a[1].jpg hiking boots also for lacing. They hold up well and keep a nice overall tension on my boots. I don't spend time retieing (sp?) my laces while in route. I also use the flex cord on the guy lines of my tent. That way when the wind blows at nite the flex cord gives and goes back to original . Keeps you from getting up at all hours to retie down the tent to keep it from flapping and keeping you up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got wayyyyy too much time on my hands...so one final shot of the Chuck Man Suspender, Clothesline Multifunctional Apparatus. Weight .9 oz. For any ultralight gram weenies out there thats about 25.5 gms. Don't hear too much talk about weight and gram shaving on this site... but you go to an AT site and the first thing they'll wanna know is "How much does it all weigh, dude." LOL Rambling on here, time to shut it down. Peace

I got wayyyyy too much time on my hands...so one final shot of the Chuck Man Suspender, Clothesline Multifunctional Apparatus. Weight .9 oz. For any ultralight gram weenies out there thats about 25.5 gms. Don't hear too much talk about weight and gram shaving on this site... but you go to an AT site and the first thing they'll wanna know is "How much does it all weigh, dude." LOL Rambling on here, time to shut it down. Peace
Believe me, the Camino shares little or nothing with the AT or any traditional backpacking.
I never weighed any of my stuff, or my backpack as a whole. If I thought it felt too heavy, I left stuff on the donativo table at albergues (you are welcome, whomever you are...hope you are enjoying that Columbia fleece pullover and that 5.11 long-sleeve shirt ;) ).
When I get to Santiago I throw half my stuff away just before I fly home. Once I was tempted to just trash everything, buy some regular clothes and footwear and go home with just the stuff on my back.

Believe me, the Camino shares little or nothing with the AT or any traditional backpacking.
I never weighed any of my stuff, or my backpack as a whole. If I thought it felt too heavy, I left stuff on the donativo table at albergues (you are welcome, whomever you are...hope you are enjoying that Columbia fleece pullover and that 5.11 long-sleeve shirt ;) ).
When I get to Santiago I throw half my stuff away just before I fly home. Once I was tempted to just trash everything, buy some regular clothes and footwear and go home with just the stuff on my back.
Yeah on the AT people agonize over weight I mean it's an obsession. I saw that too a long time ago when I used to run with the cycle crowd in FL. One guy i knew drilled holes in his handbrakes to shave some grams...LOL ah well, such is life

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you leaving SJPdP on the 15th? I'll be in Orisson or Valcarlos. Planning on Pilgrim's Mass at Roncesvalles on Easter.

Are you leaving SJPdP on the 15th? I'll be in Orisson or Valcarlos. Planning on Pilgrim's Mass at Roncesvalles on Easter.
That would really be awesome but I'll be leaving Ohare on the 15th... starting on the Le Puy probably the 18th..too bad.. had i realized earlier i would have scheduled around easter at Roncesvalles...that sounds like a great experience.

I do weigh my stuff.
It's interesting and sometimes surprising to find out what the weight is.
And it helps pass the time until departure.
I do not cut the end off my toothbrush however.
;)

For the ladies -- Macabi skirt! Always comfortable, always fits. Just tighten the cord in the waist as you lose weight during the pilgrimage, or if all the stuff you have in those big pockets weigh you down. My favorite thing.

I do weigh my stuff.
It's interesting and sometimes surprising to find out what the weight is.
And it helps pass the time until departure.
I do not cut the end off my toothbrush however.
;)
Sounds like a good time to me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For the ladies -- Macabi skirt! Always comfortable, always fits. Just tighten the cord in the waist as you lose weight during the pilgrimage, or if all the stuff you have in those big pockets weigh you down. My favorite thing.
Are you talking about this exotic skirt vs. hiking pants? If so there are many pros and cons either way. Personally i love the big pockets and with the convertible panty you can make them into shorts in a heartbeat. There, I've done it. I'm sure this will start a heated debate. BTW there are a lot of mens kilts appearing on trails also. So move over... LOL

View attachment 32799

Ummm... I save these (for free by the way), and now finally, I have a use for them. I'll have to test them out at home though, because they do break easily. I've used them for cinching the ultra-light mesh fruit bags which I've used instead of stuff sacks (socks, underwear, toiletries). But like I said - they do break very easily. I'll try them out for clothespins. Thanks!

Oh - I also use them on electrical cord right at the plug to indicate what the appliance is. So when you look at the electrical outlet and want to unplug something, you know what the plug goes to.

Ummm... I save these (for free by the way), and now finally, I have a use for them. I'll have to test them out at home though, because they do break easily. I've used them for cinching the ultra-light mesh fruit bags which I've used instead of stuff sacks (socks, underwear, toiletries). But like I said - they do break very easily. I'll try them out for clothespins. Thanks!

Oh - I also use them on electrical cord right at the plug to indicate what the appliance is. So when you look at the electrical outlet and want to unplug something, you know what the plug goes to.
Cool, we are getting to be a bunch of McGyvers here

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Okay, thanks. I was just about to measure the amount of dental floss I'll need by weighing a yard of if, then calculating the gram loss in my dental floss dispenser over a period of two weeks, then averaging. You've saved me the agony (and the fun, I suppose). Thanks. I'll stop obsessing.

Okay, thanks. I was just about to measure the amount of dental floss I'll need by weighing a yard of if, then calculating the gram loss in my dental floss dispenser over a period of two weeks, then averaging. You've saved me the agony (and the fun, I suppose). Thanks. I'll stop obsessing.
LOL... yeah, that might be just a little obsessive.. but I have seen things close to that done.. you'd be surprised..

Too bad there isn't an Irish Ruaidh or O'Ruaidh tartan, because I'd be wearin' it.

My family's surname was originally Roe (from Ireland, not England) It is derived from Ruaidh, which basically means "red hair." The surname 'Rowan', including related spellings, is also derived from it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On weight saving ,
past Burgos ,I was reading "Dune" for the tenth time over when a young Hungarian pilgrim asked me what I was reading
I told him it was the best science fiction ever and He seemed to be interested
I was past the middle of the book , so I ripped it in two and gave him the first half,
telling him that if he liked it He could get the rest at some other time
....of course , the book is pretty thick and I wanted to save some weight

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
had i realized earlier i would have scheduled around easter at Roncesvalles...that sounds like a great experience.

When we scheduled our 2013 self-guided wanderings through southern Spain, we accidentally wrapped it around Semana Santa (Holy Week). Talk about a whole series of wonderful experiences! Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, Toledo and finally Madrid! :):):):):)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Going back to the OP - if you're using cord of any kind isn't it going to pinch or form a hard point between shoulder and packstrap? And 'biners?
I recently found my belt from my 2003 Camino, punched with extra holes because I lost 3" around the waist.
Nowadays I have a "fuller figure" and go for braces (or what the American speaking world calls suspenders) with wide, elasticated straps and plastic buckles so you've no need to take them off going through airport security.
http://www.brimarc.com/products/Airport-Braces-877118.htm
upload_2017-4-1_16-44-34.png

Going back to the OP - if you're using cord of any kind isn't it going to pinch or form a hard point between shoulder and packstrap? And 'biners?
I recently found my belt from my 2003 Camino, punched with extra holes because I lost 3" around the waist.
Nowadays I have a "fuller figure" and go for braces (or what the American speaking world calls suspenders) with wide, elasticated straps and plastic buckles so you've no need to take them off going through airport security.
View attachment 32875

@Jeff Crawley,

One could ask the same question of the clips on your airport braces; don't they form hard, increasingly-troublesome knots under your load-bearing hipbelt, particularly in the back?

I have recently developed the pants-falling-down syndrome. I found milsurp suspenders that clip to the left and right sides of my belt, rather than front-to-back on my trousers. So far they're working even under a heavily-laden backpack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Too bad there isn't an Irish Ruaidh or O'Ruaidh tartan, because I'd be wearin' it.

My family's surname was originally Roe (from Ireland, not England) It is derived from Ruaidh, which basically means "red hair." The surname 'Rowan', including related spellings, is also derived from it.

You can quite properly wear your state's tartan (https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails?ref=482) or, if you were or are associated with the California Highway Patrol, the California Forestry Department, or the University of California Riverside, you have those options as well.

I'm a rotund guy, about 5'8" and 240 lbs. Had a huge problem with my hiking pants/shorts constantly falling down while I hike. Belts just don't do it for meView attachment 32797 View attachment 32797 so I came up with this cheap solution. Maybe there are others but i havent seen any. Just not trying to steal anyone's glory. LOL To make these all one needs is a piece of 1/8th inch flexible shock cord and 3 light aluminum caribeaners . These work great for me. Once you tie the up it's pretty easy to adjust them for the right amount of tension. Only takes minutes to make these up. Picture sucks but then again i am no photographer.

Suspenders???

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Jeff Crawley,

One could ask the same question of the clips on your airport braces; don't they form hard, increasingly-troublesome knots under your load-bearing hipbelt, particularly in the back?

I have recently developed the pants-falling-down syndrome. I found milsurp suspenders that clip to the left and right sides of my belt, rather than front-to-back on my trousers. So far they're working even under a heavily-laden backpack.
Hi Glenn,

Nope, the hipbelt sits on my hips and the braces clip on to my trouser waistband which sits, well just about where my waistline used to be in days of yore!

Interested in your suspenders though - can you point to a picture somewhere?

View attachment 32875
I don't notice any "hard spots" on my back or bony areas, they don't seem to line up on top of each other. BTW I wear them all the time esp when working around the place on various projects ofmine.

@Chuck Cunningham we demand regular updates on the performance of this apparatus during your journey, and any malfunctions leading to unplanned 'exposures'. Also any deployments in emergency situations.
The only time I had any unplanned exposures was in my pre suspender days... you know trying to make it into the back door with two handfuls of groceries ...suddenly the pants slip some... you try to spread your legs apart some to help keep them up..but no.. you make it to about the garage door when they finally hit your ankles and you surrender. Look it onlycost a few bucks to make a pair... try them out ...if you don't like them I'm sure you've been taken for more money without any lasting scars..also I tried the clip ons and they did NOT work for me at all.. they can pull loose.. the closures snag on things... bust easily... no bueno amiga..Oh and emergency deployments are easy..you just leave them attached and pull them off to the side ... drop your pants... etc...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
View attachment 32875
The only way they will pinch or form a hard point is if they line up with the back straps or whatever. Mine never seem bother me. The caribeaners hook thru the belt loops so it's almost impossible for them to come undone...

Interested in your suspenders though - can you point to a picture somewhere?
'

Your wish is my command. Presto! Two pairs of M-1950 Suspenders! They proved a bit short for me (my height is in my torso), so I had to do a little cut-and-stitch to take a bit from one and patch it into the other.

Note: The clips slide under your belt on both sides, then hook to the belt-bottom so that they pull the belt upward. The whole hook assembly is so thin you never feel 'em. I suppose you could also hook 'em to belt-loops, assuming they're appropriately sized and placed.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dontcha just love it when things just seem to turn out that way.

Happens with me all the time. I need size 13-EEE shoes and a size 8 hat. I have to buy tall-size shirts but my pants can only have a 30- inch inseam.

It's almost like I was built out of leftover parts. Go figure.:confused::rolleyes:

:D:D

'

Your wish is my command. Presto! Two pairs of M-1950 Suspenders! They proved a bit short for me (my height is in my torso), so I had to do a little cut-and-stitch to take a bit from one and patch it into the other.

Note: The clips slide under your belt on both sides, then hook to the belt-bottom so that they pull the belt upward. The whole hook assembly is so thin you never feel 'em. I suppose you could also hook 'em to belt-loops, assuming they're appropriately sized and placed.

UPDATE:

I figured out a non-sewing way to lengthen the M-1950 suspenders. Get the two pairs as per the eBay auction, but this time also cut the adjustment-buckles out of the sacrificial pair. Use them to splice the extra-length bits into the front sides of the first pair, then attach the ends of the extra-length bits to the "regular" buckle. It takes just a tiny bit of figuring out, but it works like a charm.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.