• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pants or short - Camino Frances mid Sept

robertc

Hello,

I am debating whether I should bring pants of some kind with me or rely completely on shorts. I will be starting in SJPdP in mid-Sept (i.e. a week from now). Uncertain about whether it will be cold enough to warrant them, and if it rains, will I want them?

Another question is will I be ok in just my thin liner sleeping sack or should I bring a proper bag. I think I tend to feel cold quicker than most ppl. I don't mind using albergue blankets but I read that some albergues don't offer them...what then if it's baltic cold?!?

I'm trying to keep weight to.a minimum but also don't want to be miserable ;-)

Thanks for any advice.
Robert

P.s. I know Spain is not Ireland but the weather is really getting cold here over the last weeks :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Convertible pants are always a solution! It will still be warm in September, so if you wear shorts in all seasons, they will be fine Sept-Oct. If you don't like being cold mornings and evenings, then choose the pants.

Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've bought two pair of convertible pants and plan on leaving one set of legs at home (i.e. carrying two shorts, one pair of legs) for my trip on the VDLP in April. If I need additional leg covering, I'll wear my rain pants.

Buen Camino

We're starting tomorrow with one pair of shorts and one convertible pair of pants. If it rains too hard we'll just sit out a day.

Separate rain pants... I know weather is unpredictable, but will they be necessary? Assuming a day of heavy rain to be a sporadic occurrence in Sept, I think/hope a pair of pants will suffice. I guess you can get waterproof 'zippy' pants, right?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello from Pamplona where Fall is definitely in the air. I haven't checked the forecast, but it's definitely brisk this morning. I'd second the suggestion for convertible pants/shorts.

As for sleeping, most albergues do have blankets - I've only encountered a few that don't (Roncesvalles, Burgos municipal, Ferrerios municipal), and there is usually an option to stay at another albergue (NOT in Roncesvalles, though). The only risk is that if it get really cold, the pilgrims with sleeping bags will also grab a blanket, which means one per person only, when you might prefer two.

I strongly second what Nancy wrote about blankets. When none are visible always ask the hospitalero. Here are some further 'blanketing' tricks I've learned during past caminos in late autumn/winter when some albergues are often frigid and without any heat. Never choose a bunk that raises against an exterior, uninsulated wall. If there are blankets make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding one blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your dry poncho beneath your sleeping bag to block the cold air from rising. Finally wear your wooly hat to bed!

Margaret Meredith

Back again with a weather update...the brisk Pamplona morning turned into a glorious 25 C-degree day. Wow! (That's about 77 F-degrees.) I guess you never know what Mother Nature has in store, so it's best to be prepared.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the updates Nancy / Meredith. Really valuable for me as I prepare. I was planning to stop in Roncevalles so if im not carrying a bag I guess I get to sleep in my clothes!! Did u find that cold?

I purchased a Sea-to-Summit Tek Towel for use on the Camino. At the last moment I decided to buy the XL size so that my towel can double as a blanket. It added 165 grams to my pack weight, above what the smaller size weighed, but I don't have to worry now about being cold because blankets aren't available, or about the cleanliness of blankets available in some locations. I'm only bringing a silk liner (mid-September through October).

The catch with this is that one needs to keep the towel as dry as possible when showering, so hand-squeegeeing yourself first is beneficial. The upside is your body heat will quickly dry a microfiber towel. Yes, I have been 'doing this at home', as I have been trying out all my gear in real conditions to see what works and what doesn't before I start my Camino.

I think you might be a bit cold in Roncesvalles, if the current trend continues. Nights have been quite chilly. There is always an option to treat yourself to an upgrade at one of the pensions there...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

I am debating whether I should bring pants of some kind with me or rely completely on shorts. I will be starting in SJPdP in mid-Sept (i.e. a week from now). Uncertain about whether it will be cold enough to warrant them, and if it rains, will I want them?

Another question is will I be ok in just my thin liner sleeping sack or should I bring a proper bag. I think I tend to feel cold quicker than most ppl. I don't mind using albergue blankets but I read that some albergues don't offer them...what then if it's baltic cold?!?

I'm trying to keep weight to.a minimum but also don't want to be miserable ;-)

Thanks for any advice.
Robert

P.s. I know Spain is not Ireland but the weather is really getting cold here over the last weeks :)

I'm starting the same time as you... I've chosen shorts, mainly because in rain I find wet trousers awful. Yes is colder, but once trousers are wet... yuk! Mind you I am from Newcastle! I'm taking my all weather seeping bag and a silk liner. I'm also taking my super light 'Big Agnes' tent just in case I need to slow down, or the weather turns really bad. I have a survival bag too, mainly a legacy of being a mountaineer during my late teens. (Hadrian's Wall, Lake District, Scotland etc.) I find it more productive to have upper layers for warmth... but that's just me. Also being a lass, I prefer shorts for hygienic reasons. I have been dragging my full pack around with me for a week now including in the rain while staying with friends in London. I know it isn't the same, but it's better than nothing.

Good luck Robert and Buen Camino.

Poppy

If your doing the Camino Frances you don´t need either a tent nor survival bag. You should find plenty of places to sleep along the way.

Buen Camino!

I like the idea of some peaceful nights outside without bedbugs or snoring. I actually like camping and having the choice about where to stop. Also, if the weather turns bad or i need to rest between stops, it can be useful. I have no experience of the camino, right enough, but i am an experienced long distance walker and enjoy my own pace and taking my time. In my opinion, you never know what can happen when you are walking or if you will need to stop and help somebody else.

I appreciate your feedback... thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would expect you'll be hiking in shorts most of the time but you'll definitely want a pair of pants for the evenings. Personally I would recommend carrying rain pants as well. So a pair of shorts, a pair of pants and a pair of rain pants. It sounds like you're planning to take zip-offs but you'll still want something not sweat-soaked for the evenings.

As for sleeping bags - I started hiking at the beginning of Oct and found my zero C rated bag way too hot the entire time. Always had to leave it open, and wished I'd brought something lighter. Not sure if I'd go straight sleep sack, though.

As suggested do bring a convertible and a short pant. As to the rain or waterproof pant, don't bother to bring it. You are doing the camino in mid-september. Even if the weather is unpredictable you don't need it. My experience in the winter camino taught me a lesson even with so much wind and rains on the vdlp. You will sweat like a pig if you use waterproof polyester jacket or waterproof pant. You are just going to get as wet on the inside as on the outside.

Also better to bring a lightweight sleeping bag. You will need it during the night at high elevation.

Buen camino and god bless.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.