• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pants or Shorts or Zip off Convertible Pants?

PaulCat

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2015) & June/July (2018)
Hey Camino Friends!,

I'm planning to walk in June/July of this year. I know it will be hot, and I already own a couple of pairs of shorts that would be perfect for the Camino, but keep seeing people talking about the zip convertible pants. My first camino (same time of year) I had a pair that were zip convertible, but I rarely used the leg portion of the pants. I did have to buy a long sleeve shirt due to sun burning on my arms (ouch).

What are the pros and cons of bringing just shorts on the Camino in the Summer months? Would carrying shorts with sunscreen cancel out the reduction in weight if I had to protect my legs from the sun? I think the shorts would also be easier to clean than a whole pants.

Thanks in advance. Also, I did search the forum, but couldn't locate a topic on this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore only shorts everyday, all day on my warm/hot weather summer Caminos. I do not like walking in pants. Just my personal preference. I tan, and don't burn, but nonetheless did apply sunscreen everyday before I started out and wore a good hat.
I carried one pair of synthetic, tech material type hiking shorts and one pair of convertible pants (I prefer to wear long pants on flights and traveling) made of same. My favorite brand is Marmot (transcend convertible) but the other companies like North Face and Columbia make good ones, too.
Also those synthetic, long sleeved fishing type shirts made by companies like Columbia are nice to walk in. Lightweight and dry very fast and you roll up the sleeves when it gets warmer. Also kind of nicer to wear instead of a t-shirt if you go out in the bigger cities (Pamplona, Burgos, Logrono) on the Camino. Little bit of wine and food sampling. :D
I don't see any real advantage weight reduction wise, of leaving the zip-off leg portions of the convertible pants at home, or of not just bringing two pairs of convertible pants. I tried to weigh the zip-off portions of my convertible pants, and they are so light they wouldn't register on my scale device. I suppose the same could be said of long sleeve versus short sleeve shirts of the tech variety. That extra section of sleeve is nothing.

Last edited:
I wore only shorts everyday, all day on my warm/hot weather summer Caminos. I do not like walking in pants. Just my personal preference. I tan, and don't burn, but nonetheless did apply sunscreen everyday before I started out and wore a good hat.
I carried one pair of synthetic, tech material type hiking shorts and one pair of convertible pants (I prefer to wear long pants on flights and traveling) made of same. My favorite brand is Marmot (transcend convertible) but the other companies like North Face and Columbia make good ones, too.
Also those synthetic, long sleeved fishing type shirts made by companies like Columbia are nice to walk in. Lightweight and dry very fast and you roll up the sleeves when it gets warmer. Also kind of nicer to wear instead of a t-shirt if you go out in the bigger cities (Pamplona, Burgos, Logrono) on the Camino. Little bit of wine and food sampling. :D
I don't see any real advantage weight reduction wise, of leaving the zip-off leg portions of the convertible pants at home, or of not just bringing two pairs of convertible pants. I tried to weigh the zip-off portions of my convertible pants, and they are so light they wouldn't register on my scale device. I suppose the same could be said of long sleeve versus short sleeve shirts of the tech variety. That extra section of sleeve is nothing.

Thanks for the reply. I am trying my best not to buy things if I don't need them. The long pants I do have at the moment are not the convertible kind. I really like my shorts that I have. I use them for a whole slew of things: running, hiking, weightlifting (a pair of solomon float shorts). My concern is getting sun burned. Happened on my arms last time and it was not pretty. You do make a good point about the flight as well as going out in town or even if I need a table at a nicer restaurant. I might do the one pair of shorts and one pair of convertible pants.

I walked in a columbia treking shirt (not the fishing one, but basically the same) the first time. It was perfect. I plan to use those shirts or a variant this go around.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Paul - I took one pair of convertibles (REI) and one pair of shorts. The lower legs of the convertibles zipped off below my knees - so the "uppers" were more like capri pants. Probably a female style thing. I wore the full pants traveling, on rainy days and cold mornings in the Pyrenees. Will take the same combo to Portugal this summer.
Buen Camino
Andrea

I wore convertibles on my camino in the fall. There was only one day that was really hot. I live in Southwest Florida, and wear convertibles and long sleeve Columbia shirts on the boat all the time ... mostly for sun protection. I zip the bottoms off if I get into the water.
- Why not weigh the bottom of the pant legs and some sunscreen to get idea on the trade off in weight.
- You can share one pair of pant legs between two pairs of pants if they are the same size, style, etc.
- I like the pockets on the convertibles more than the pockets on running type shorts.
- I did wash the bottoms independently of the tops a couple of times, and they dried super quick.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It looks like I will be about 2 to 4 weeks ahead as I will begin the CF mid May and so have again chosen convertible pants and a spare pair of polyester shorts for evenings.

On another note, I was not for carrying a lot of sun screen, even though I am fair skinned, (goes with the hair,lool). So I decided to fashion something that would cover from knuckles to just above the elbows by taking an old pair of socks, ( a bit thread bare and open weave), cut slits for my fingers and protect my arms from the sun. But that was just for the hot, sunny days. Sleeves without sleeves.

Hey Camino Friends!,

I'm planning to walk in June/July of this year. I know it will be hot, and I already own a couple of pairs of shorts that would be perfect for the Camino, but keep seeing people talking about the zip convertible pants. My first camino (same time of year) I had a pair that were zip convertible, but I rarely used the leg portion of the pants. I did have to buy a long sleeve shirt due to sun burning on my arms (ouch).

What are the pros and cons of bringing just shorts on the Camino in the Summer months? Would carrying shorts with sunscreen cancel out the reduction in weight if I had to protect my legs from the sun? I think the shorts would also be easier to clean than a whole pants.

Thanks in advance. Also, I did search the forum, but couldn't locate a topic on this.

I took 1 pair of Pearl Izumi lightweight shorts and one pair of lightweight Patagonia capiline baselayer bottoms (like runners tights). Total weight was 8.2 ounces. My REI Sahara zip offs -- which I really like -- weigh about 14 ounces, with the zip-off legs being 4.2 ounces of that weight. I used this basic kit backpacking the PCT and Colorado Trail, so I had good confidence for the Camino.

I always wear shorts while hiking. When I washed them on Camino, I wore my baselayer bottoms under my rain kilt (2.5 ounces). Or just wore the bottoms by themselves.

If any problem were to develop with the shorts, there was always a sporting or clothing store to buy a new pair. These are tough shorts, though, and take a beating with nary a whimper.

I found a pair of Mont shorts for daily walking (good as they had pockets the right size of Brierly and deep enough to deter all but the most determined pickpocket) and a pair of convertible longs for evening wear - although I only used them as longs for maybe two nights - the rest of the time, they were shorts as evening wear...

I was happy to walk with bare legs without sunscreen - I tan well and rarely burn. It was no discomfort to walk in shorts in the rain the two days that were wet...

I also carried long thermals as insurance against a very cold/wet/windy day, but needed them only for one night in lieu of a sleeping bag (which I had just posted home in the interests of lightening the backpack).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Paul - I took one pair of convertibles (REI) and one pair of shorts. The lower legs of the convertibles zipped off below my knees - so the "uppers" were more like capri pants. Probably a female style thing. I wore the full pants traveling, on rainy days and cold mornings in the Pyrenees. Will take the same combo to Portugal this summer.
Buen Camino
Andrea
Hi Andrea, thanks for the info. I have heard the zips can rub on your legs. Did you have any problems?

I only wear shorts on the Camino and carry along a pair of merino wool bottoms for when it gets cold (rarely did I need them in May-June or Sept-Oct). I bring a lightweight dress to wear while I'm washing my shorts and tee shirts, or when I don't want to look like a hiker. If I didn't have the dress, I'd bring along a pair of long pants, just because sometimes it feels like they would be more acceptable in certain settings than shorts. I never brought convertible pants because I have an irrational knee-jerk reaction to how they look. (Don't be offended... I *said* it was irrational). That being said, if you bring a pair of convertible pants, I don't see the need to bring a second pair of shorts or pants, as long as you have long underwear (or a dress) to wear while you're washing your clothes.

I took 2 pairs of long, quick drying trousers plus two long sleeved shirts as pictured which I wore every day. I could have just taken one pair of trousers however one pair ripped apart half way on the Camino so was great just to start wearing the other pair. I also took one pair of shorts and t-shirt for evenings plus one pair of long tights to sleep in. I only took a sleeping bag liner so many nights I went to bed in my polar fleece vest with no sleeves. I also took a rain coat. I would happily take the same again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used REI convertibles on my August sept CF
The zippers never did rub and were surprisingly easy to zip on off even while wearing them.
I did use the legs when sun exposure exceeded what sunscreen could protect against and on cool evenings and on the occasional wind rain
Took 2 zip off shorts and only 1 legging
Would do it again

Hi Andrea, thanks for the info. I have heard the zips can rub on your legs. Did you have any problems?
Iago - Since my legs zip off just below the knees, I had no trouble with rubbing.
Andrea

Everyone has different thoughts on Shorts/Trousers etc, you have to try all options out and pick the right ones for you. Myself I love the zip offs and take two pairs on the camino, does it add a little extra weight, p;possibly but I'm prepared to put up with that.
I never had any problem with the zips rubbing, but then again this is something you will look at before you buy. I had great fun trying out all these options before I did my first camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Camino Friends!,

Hey Camino Friends!,

Hi Paul
Last summer I took 2 pairs of knee length shorts - nylon type Nike, the ones I normally wear to the gym - and one pair of light cotton slacks (H&M). I wore the shorts walking each and every day, several days between washes, and the slacks were great for planes and trains, and evening out on the town (think the tapas bars of Logroño etc).
I'm going back next month, and without a doubt taking exactly the same kit for my bottom end, plus one set of warm tights for frosty morning set-offs ....that's going to be a sight to send home under the shorts but never mind.
Buen Camino

I saw some really unfortunate cases of extreme sunburn along the Meseta , so severe that I suspect the poor pilgrims affected were destined to spend the next few days lying about in some discomfort .
Five in all , all Northern European and all fell into the same trap , they relied on sunscreen to shield the backs of their legs while wearing shorts , the part that faces the Spanish sun as it rises through the hottest parts of the day while you travel ever Westward . Most likely the screen was applied once in the morning alone . By the end of the day the burns were very severe but this was only half of their ordeal , the worst came the next day when they zipped the legs back onto their shorts . The resultant rubbing of the trouser legs onto the already burnt skin took it right off . I have never seen such burns to calves or the backs of knees before , truly heartbreaking .
Long trousers have their uses , not only for the sun if you do burn but also for the evening , it can get cool and personally I always felt more comfortable in them when eating in a restaurant .

Hey Camino Friends!,

Wear the convertible zip pants. Everyone will know your from US. . Easier for terrorists to ID you. Serious waste of time and with quality from most manufacturers dropping your zips wont last long.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wear the convertible zip pants. Everyone will know your from US. . Easier for terrorists to ID you. Serious waste of time and with quality from most manufacturers dropping your zips wont last long.

Not American myself and have always worn zip offs as a lot of us English do, as to the quality of the zips it depends on the quality of the trousers.
As I said in my previous post, everyone to their own.

I obtain my convertible pants at REI in the US. They are made of 100% nylon. They are very fast drying and also rated at SPF 50 for sun protection. The house brand cargo pants style is called "Sahara," and they are available for both men and women.

Over my first five Caminos, I found that this fabric obviated the need for gaiters, at least IMHO, as you can easily zip off the lower leg to wash them separately. Once rinsed and wrung out, the lower legs were dry enough to zip on again usually after 30 minutes to one hours on a clothesline.

The lower leg panels are VERY lightweight and I carry them in a cargo pocket when they are off and rolled up.

I recommend this style cargo pant year round. There are many other brands out there, at all price points.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I walked a bit later in the year (Aug-Oct) and am definitely a fan of convertibles. It started out cool and ended up hot on many days. But in truth if you don't mind carrying a little more both would work. Someone makes the point about convertibles eliminating the need for gaiters. That's true on this trail but probably not on other more primitive trails. I, too, used the convertibles "Sahara" brand from REI. They wear very well. It's worth the extra bucks to have something comfortable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love the zip off pants and I have taken 2 pairs each time. One pair from my first Camino now has 2 tone legs as I wore and washed the shorts much more than the legs! Two suggestions -make sure the pants have a zip or Velcro opening at the bottom so you can take the legs off without removing your boots. Also I prefer the colour coded legs so that I can quickly put the legs back on. For the arms I can suggest the sleeves which you can buy in cycling or outdoor shops. They often offer uv protection and can be used for warmth in the early morning. You can easily roll them up or down as you go. I reiterate previous comments about individual preferences. You want to be comfortable, and testing your gear during training is the key!!

Actually there are convertible pants available in countries outside of the US and I have met pilgrims from different countries wearing convertible pants.
As far as quality goes with convertible pants, you get what you pay for. Some brands better than others. The ones I have seem to be holding up pretty well.
As far as terrorists on the Camino hunting down suspected American pilgrims wearing convertible pants? I'm saying this between chuckles, I never was too concerned about that.

I found a pair of Mont shorts for daily walking (good as they had pockets the right size of Brierly and deep enough to deter all but the most determined pickpocket) and a pair of convertible longs for evening wear - although I only used them as longs for maybe two nights - the rest of the time, they were shorts as evening wear...
I looked up that brand on the net. They look like they have good stuff. The shorts and pants look really good.
Do they run true to size?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear shorts to walk in in warmer weather. I bring a pair of long pants in case I want to dress for special occasions on my walk. We usually walk in winter so long pants are essential.

Wow... seriously? I've seen many folks from many different countries wear zip-offs. And while I am certain that some less than stellar manufacturing make some brands less than durable, a lot of the long-time manufacturers of outdoor clothing produce a tough and durable product.

I hope this isn't a troll, otherwise I got hooked ;):eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow... seriously? I've seen many folks from many different countries wear zip-offs. And while I am certain that some less than stellar manufacturing make some brands less than durable, a lot of the long-time manufacturers of outdoor clothing produce a tough and durable product.

I hope this isn't a troll, otherwise I got hooked ;):eek:
I got my zip off pants at Bass Pro Shop and have worn them for at least a couple of thousand miles. On sale for $29.95 and I love the elastic in the waist. :)

I got my zip off pants at Bass Pro Shop and have worn them for at least a couple of thousand miles. On sale for $29.95 and I love the elastic in the waist. :)

Well, JF, I'd give the Bass Pro a try, but I'm waiting for my REI Sahara's to wear out... maybe in another 4 years :) It's always a great feeling when you've got pants that you like.

Hey Camino Friends!,

My personal choice is to wear unzippable hiking pants. Why? 1.) Sun protection. I don't see any use or need to unnecessarily expose my skin to harmful sun rays for any extended length of time. 2.) The possibility of zippers breaking or being unable to zip the pants back together once off just isn't worth the risk, in my opinion. Low risk, and probably not a big deal if you like wearing shorts, or have back up pants, but I don't feel any need to take that chance. 3.) If and when I feel like wearing shorts I can roll up my pants (to wade into a stream or lay out for a bit, or even walk a short distance. No one cares about fashion on the Camino).

That said, if you really like to hike in shorts then by all means, wear shorts and/or bring your optional zip-off hiking pants! Hell, hike naked if you want (they do on the PCT in California, but not sure how that would go over with more conservative religious pilgrims in Spain). Anyway, be safe, have fun!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I looked up that brand on the net. They look like they have good stuff. The shorts and pants look really good.
Do they run true to size?

I routinely wear XL clothing, these shorts were XL and they fitted well (at least at the start - somehow I lost over 13 kg over the 40 days, so I had to tighten the belt to keep myself nice, but that wasn't the fault of the garment...)

Speaking just for myself, I don't like convertibles at all; they are a compromise and like most compromises do neither job as well as the things they are supposed to replace. My own preference is to walk in shorts but I do take a pair of lightweight trousers in case they are needed. And don't forget a good quality, long lasting, waterproof, high SPF sun protection cream.
Ultreïa

Hey Camino Friends!,

Zip off

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found this patagonia pants on clearance a few years back and they have been my goto pants for several caminos. If not on sale they are extremely expensive, but worth every penny.

Patagonia Men's Wind Shield Soft Shell Pants

Buen Camino
Andrea

What brand were your convertible pants? The ones that zip-off below the knee have been hard to find, and I agree that I feel more comfortable with that bit of extra length..

Ok, I don't think I saw this posted as an option but for probably the last 8 out of 12 Caminos I have had the opportunity to hike, I have taken 1 pair of shorts and 1 pair of 3/4 pants which are usually considered rock climbing pants.
I wear those on the plane, at night, and hiking when it is cold. I considered the convertible pants but my dilemma was if they got sweaty or dirty and needed to be washed, what was I going to wear if it was cold in the evening?
So give them a thought. The pair I have now is from outdoor research Ferrosi 3/4 pants

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey Camino Friends!,

Hey Paul, we might see you along the way. A group of 6 from Perth, Western Australia are starting in SJPDP on June 4th. Buen Camino!

Hello, I take two identical pairs of convertible REI pants with just one set of legs. I can use the legs on both pairs of pants. I do this for two reasons. I attend mass with the legs on and a collared shirt. I am a little old fashion about this.
The second reason is cold, I have been cold in Pamplona and Leon in the middle of July as well as on the mountain. This is not to say the legs add much insulation but they do provide a little wind and draft protection!
As noted in previous postings they are not used much but I will always carry them.
I also don't like traveling though airports, planes and trains in shorts, since I come and go in my Camino cloths.

Its entirely a personal choice. Longish shorts, with good close-able pockets, are my choice of garment, I dont like walking in long pants. I never got burnt on my legs at all, but I saw others who did, especially in the last 100kms, where a lot of new people joined. And if it rains I'd rather have wet legs than wet pants. But I have walked in warm/hot weather, I'm sure if you walk in the cooler months, or feel the cold more, you might want an extra layer. I never felt, even in the 2 days of rain I got each time, that I needed anything more than shorts - but they're not short shorts they're just above my knee, actually quite modest. I did see some quite short shorts, being worn, that wouldn't have been suitable for a church...
I did get the weird tan, brown between my shorts and my socks.
I saw people in short shorts, long shorts, zipped off shorts, tights, leggings, even short skirts, and long pants.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After years of walking in shorts, my wife finally convinced me that walking in long pants, long sleeves is the best way to deal with the sun (look at any agricultural worker anywhere). So for warm weather camino I carry two pairs of clothing, one quick dry nylon, one cotton. Yes, cotton. The advice against cotton is based on the fact it is dangerous in the mountains because it retains water, which, if it is cool out, can lead to hypothermia. Conversely, cotton is perfect in the desert precisely because it keeps you cooler. The mesetta counts as desert. So in the mountains on either end, I wear nylon, keeping my cotton inside my pack dry to wear in the alburgue at night. After Pamplona until Astorga, I then switch and wear the cotton for walking, and the nylon in the alburgue. I tried convertibles on my first Camino, but ended up just leaving the legs on the whole way because of the sun. So now I just go with lighter weight non-convertible pants. Some specifics. For the cotton pants, I use Kuhl Kontra Air. For the quick dry nylon look at RailRiders. I use the Cool Khakis, but I'd use the Eco-mesh if they made them in a longer inseam. For shirts, I wear the Patagonia Daily Wear (for nylon) and Patagonia Steersman (for cotton).

Hi, I'm doing my first Camino Portuguese from May 4-9 from Tui to Santiago. Would it still be too cold to wear shorts? I come from Singapore, a tropical country. Many thanks.

Hey Camino Friends!,

Wore long pants all the time that were very light in material. Didnt regret as I saw many sunburned legs....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I'm doing my first Camino Portuguese from May 4-9 from Tui to Santiago. Would it still be too cold to wear shorts? I come from Singapore, a tropical country. Many thanks.
John Ho, since you are near the Atlantic coast from time to time along the route, you may want to consider long pants for the times when the wind or storms blow in. The Atlantic is cold along the coast as you travel north.

I am a convertible cargo pant convert! My fav are the Columbia Silver Ridge zip off cargo pants. Not only do they save space from having to pack both pants AND shorts, they dry super quick. They also have a zippered cargo pocket on the left leg to keep my wallet or passport in, and a big velcro cargo pocket on the right leg that i can store my large iphone in for quick access. All pluses in my book when hiking long distances. They sell for $60 at clothing stores, but you can get them on Amazon for half that. Definitely my go to travel pant. Bien camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Zip-off cargo pants, good in the cold and to avoid sunburn. Zip-off for paddling if near the sea. :)

I had very light weight convertible cargo pants from Columbia (the company not the country). Fast drying and claimed to be SPF 50. I generally wore them long but found that the removable legs were really handy if I wanted to remove my knee braces without having to remove my pants. I didn't know they would be needed for that when I packed them, since I developed the knee issues on the Camino, but I was glad they provided that option!

I like the ability to, as we say, zip into comfort. The morning can be chilly, so its nice to have the legs covered. It also means you don't have to carry another item of clothing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On these kind of trips, convertible all the way. Sure, they are not very fashion forward... but they save space in the pack and provide me with a ton of options. I'll walk with those legs half zipped on to keep cool, and then zip 'em straight up when a storm is rolling in, or I get a little cold.

Such prejudice Paul 😉. I am from Oz, I am definitely not a terrorist and have worn my zip-offs for more than 2500 km in all sorts of terrain and they’re pretty close to what they looked like on the day I bought them. Needless to say I love them.
Each to their own, BC

Hey Camino Friends!,

If you go with the ‘tights and shorts’ option, you might as well pack a large Stars and Stripes as well, just so that the rest of the world is in no doubt!

Personally I walk in ‘twin shorts’ - a Lycra (Spandex?) inner with an obscenity preventing loose running short on top.

I carry a very lightweight pair of full trousers (pants?) for evening wear, but in case of intense sun or cold, I’d walk in them.

I use sunscreen 365. My father died of skin cancer before the dangers of sunburn were fully appreciated, but my mother had multiple sclerosis for which vitamin D - synthesised vía sunlight - is an important consideration. It’s a fine balance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you go with the ‘tights and shorts’ option, you might as well pack a large Stars and Stripes as well, just so that the rest of the world is in no doubt!

Personally I walk in ‘twin shorts’ - a Lycra (Spandex?) inner with an obscenity preventing loose running short on top.

I carry a very lightweight pair of full trousers (pants?) for evening wear, but in case of intense sun or cold, I’d walk in them.

I use sunscreen 365. My father died of skin cancer before the dangers of sunburn were fully appreciated, but my mother had multiple sclerosis for which vitamin D - synthesised vía sunlight - is an important consideration. It’s a fine balance.

Just noticed this thread is two years old. Should have checked. Sorry folks.

I've said this before; just SAY NO to convertible pants. They are pointless. If you have a pair of shorts and a pair of pants, you can wear one while washing the other. It's probably easier to change from one to the other out on the trail, too, than it is to zip off or on the pant legs. I just bring shorts and merino wool leggings.. I have never even felt the need for long pants. But if you do, bring them both and the weight difference is negligible. I have never understood convertible pants or any advantage they offer, other than making you look like a geek. I have not heard of anyone who wears convertible pants not bringing another pair of either pants or shorts, either, so again; what's the point?
Thanks for listening.

I wore shorts everyday, but if you sun burn easy and do not put sun screen on every few hours convertible pants maybe a better option for you.

I carry Pro Bass Shop zipp offs in my kit and hike mainly in a kilt. It is much more comfortable.

I've said this before; just SAY NO to convertible pants. They are pointless. If you have a pair of shorts and a pair of pants, you can wear one while washing the other. It's probably easier to change from one to the other out on the trail, too, than it is to zip off or on the pant legs. I just bring shorts and merino wool leggings.. I have never even felt the need for long pants. But if you do, bring them both and the weight difference is negligible. I have never understood convertible pants or any advantage they offer, other than making you look like a geek. I have not heard of anyone who wears convertible pants not bringing another pair of either pants or shorts, either, so again; what's the point?
Thanks for listening.
I wore convertible pants and they worked well for me. I rarely wanted shorts, so it made no sense to bring a pair of shorts that I would rarely want to use. But on the couple of days on my Camino where I wanted shorts, they came in handy. They were especially handy when I came down with knee issues and started wearing a brace. With these i could wear long pants (my preference) and yet not have to remove them completely to take the knee brace off.

Personally, I don't see what's wrong with looking like a geek. It is what I am.

Oh, yet another zombie thread resurrected lol.
Not all convertible pants are created equal. You get what you pay for. As I do not like the really thin material ones that baggy out like 80's parachute pants I opt for ones constructed with some cotton in them. I do not mind the extra weight. When I walk the Camino during the summer and even the cooler months, I end up wearing shorts almost everyday. I just find shorts more comfortable to wear when walking long distances and I do not sunburn easily. Just get more tan. Still, I apply sunscreen on my face and neck every sunny day on the Camino and wear a good hat with a brim. Sunglasses too to protect my eyes.
The convertible pants allow me to maintain my philosophy of trying to have everything I carry to be multi-purpose. Bring two pairs of convertibles and they cover all bases. From traveling to and from the Camino (I do not care to wear shorts when flying) to actually walking the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The convertible pants allow me to maintain my philosophy of trying to have everything I carry to be multi-purpose. Bring two pairs of convertibles and they cover all bases. From traveling to and from the Camino (I do not care to wear shorts when flying) to actually walking the Camino.

So, not to beat a dead horse, (which I am wont to do) I dont see how one pair of long pants and one pair of shorts wouldnt be just as versatile and lighter weight.

I think that the most versatile thing is two pair of identical zip off pants - but only bring the legs of one pair to save weight. The leg part would wash and dry quickly to be attached to either pair. Or go crazy and get two different colors. 😜

So, not to beat a dead horse, (which I am wont to do) I dont see how one pair of long pants and one pair of shorts wouldnt be just as versatile and lighter weight.
Wow, you really dislike convertible pants, lol. 😄

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think that the most versatile thing is two pair of identical zip off pants - but only bring the legs of one pair to save weight. The leg part would wash and dry quickly to be attached to either pair. Or go crazy and get two different colors. 😜
And what do you wear while you're washing the top part of your SHANTS? Sorry, I'm not letting go of this! :D

Next there will be a convertible hat; zip off the brim when it's not sunny but you still want to cover your head.

I dont see how one pair of long pants and one pair of shorts wouldnt be just as versatile and lighter weight.
I don't wear convertible pants, because I never wear shorts, so this is academic to me! However, to answer your question, there would be extra versatility in that you could decide you need to zip on the legs, no matter which of the identical top parts you are wearing. With the other scenario (shorts plus zipoffs), if your zipoff top is wet from washing, you will be unable to put your legs onto the shorts that you are wearing, if you feel that you suddenly need them. However, if you have safety pins, perhaps you could improvise!

€46,-
Thanks for the reply. I am trying my best not to buy things if I don't need them. The long pants I do have at the moment are not the convertible kind. I really like my shorts that I have. I use them for a whole slew of things: running, hiking, weightlifting (a pair of solomon float shorts). My concern is getting sun burned. Happened on my arms last time and it was not pretty. You do make a good point about the flight as well as going out in town or even if I need a table at a nicer restaurant. I might do the one pair of shorts and one pair of convertible pants.
Or use your existing long pants for afternoon/evening wear and keep the shorts for daily walking, or vice versa. Then, you have nothing you need to buy. Makes laundry a bit more tricky because you're not rotating, but it's manageable.

I walk mostly in long pants because I too burn and I really dislike slathering myself multiple times each day with sunscreen to the point that I'm slimy. Once in town, I'll sometimes switch to shorts and some sunscreen.

I don't wear convertible pants, because I never wear shorts, so this is academic to me! However, to answer your question, there would be extra versatility in that you could decide you need to zip on the legs, no matter which of the identical top parts you are wearing. With the other scenario (shorts plus zipoffs), if your zipoff top is wet from washing, you will be unable to put your legs onto the shorts that you are wearing, if you feel that you suddenly need them. However, if you have safety pins, perhaps you could improvise!

Wear shorts while pants are drying on the line. Wear pants while shorts are drying on the line. If need to change on the trail, just take off one and put on the other. I bet I can change from pants to shorts in about the same or less time than those dealing with zippered pants. In my case, however, I wear shorts almost all the time. Rarely, I add my base layer tights in the morning if it's cold. While my shorts are washing, I wear a lightweight dress.

Next?

I met someone who had a great idea—he purchased 2 or of the same color convertible pants but only brought one set of legs. Of course, it was June.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I normally do not recommend any particular brand of anything, but for those not on a tight budget, the Kuhl brand Liberator convertible pants are good.
Actually Kuhl makes a lot of good clothing perfect for walking the Camino, but they are expensive.

If your pattern is to alternate between two sets of clothing (as it is for many pilgrims), then bringing a pair of long pants and a pair of shorts requires you to alternate between the two, while bringing two sets of convertible pants allows you to choose each day which you wish to wear.

I just tried 2 pairs of convertible pants on my recent vacation @ Palm Springs
Worked like a charmer and chances are they are the ones I am bringing with on my Camino
👍

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.