• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Paq Peregrino - our experience

George Vancouver

Time of past OR future Camino
We're travelling long-term so needed to ship suitcases from Madrid to await us in Santiago. Here's a few things we learned for next time.

1. Madrid airport post office is temporarily closed. We had to go to a small post office near our hotel. They had never shipped pilgrims' luggage before and had no idea what to do. After much discussion among the staff and searching on their computer system, I brought up the website on my phone and explained everything, including the price and address. Next time I will have that all printed out in Spanish ahead of time.

2. About a week into the camino we started getting emails saying the bags had not been collected so would be returned to Madrid. A frantic visit to the local post office and attempted calls to the post office got nowhere. I finally connected by email. I was told that the emails were mistakenly computer-generated and to ignore them and not worry. It remained a worry to the end!

3. A couple of weeks in we mailed more stuff ahead. Our lack of return address was a source of great consternation for the clerk. Canada? Our previous night's albergue? The supervisor solved the problem. She suggested putting Rua do Franco 4 as the return address. That way there is nowhere else the package can go.

4. We arrived in Santiago on Saturday. The clerk told us we could only pick up our bags Monday to Friday (still not sure that's true). Didn't matter. When I told her that would be impossible because we were leaving she cheerfully agreed to get our bags from the back anyway.

It all worked out in the end. Great system, very reasonable price, friendly Correos staff.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We're travelling long-term so needed to ship suitcases from Madrid to await us in Santiago. Here's a few things we learned for next time.

1. Madrid airport post office is temporarily closed. We had to go to a small post office near our hotel. They had never shipped pilgrims' luggage before and had no idea what to do. After much discussion among the staff and searching on their computer system, I brought up the website on my phone and explained everything, including the price and address. Next time I will have that all printed out in Spanish ahead of time.

2. About a week into the camino we started getting emails saying the bags had not been collected so would be returned to Madrid. A frantic visit to the local post office and attempted calls to the post office got nowhere. I finally connected by email. I was told that the emails were mistakenly computer-generated and to ignore them and not worry. It remained a worry to the end!

3. A couple of weeks in we mailed more stuff ahead. Our lack of return address was a source of great consternation for the clerk. Canada? Our previous night's albergue? The supervisor solved the problem. She suggested putting Rua do Franco 4 as the return address. That way there is nowhere else the package can go.

4. We arrived in Santiago on Saturday. The clerk told us we could only pick up our bags Monday to Friday (still not sure that's true). Didn't matter. When I told her that would be impossible because we were leaving she cheerfully agreed to get our bags from the back anyway.

It all worked out in the end. Great system, very reasonable price, friendly Correos staff.
Dear God, this gives me the screaming horrors! I have NEVER forwarded anything before but am having to consider this for next year due to age and health matters. Techie I am not and still have trouble answering the phone on WHAT'S APP!! Abbot the only way I can cope with sending my ruck ahead is to throw the bloody thing over the hedge!!:) :) My Guardian Angel is yet again considering a career change :)

Buen Camino

Samarkand

Dear God, this gives me the screaming horrors! I have NEVER forwarded anything before but am having to consider this for next year due to age and health matters. Techie I am not and still have trouble answering the phone on WHAT'S APP!! Abbot the only way I can cope with sending my ruck ahead is to throw the bloody thing over the hedge!!:) :) My Guardian Angel is yet again considering a career change :)

Buen Camino

Samarkand
I had one experience sending items ahead to santiago from the Norte camino. I was shocked at how easy and affordable it was.
I did have my Spanish friend assist me at the post office but the items where there waiting for me when I arrived in santiago. The secret is don't bring so much stuff 😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have never forwarded our stuff but we are using the Correos paq mochila service to move our bags. They have been exceptional. This morning they arrived at our albuerge too early and came to our private room to ask if they could collect our bags a bit early. They were quite apologetic. Finding our bags inside our next room has been wonderful. We are in Los Arcos for the night tonight.

Three years ago as the weather turned warmer we shipped our down sleeping bags ahead from Astorga to Santiago using the Correos. Astorga post office was fully up to speed on the procedure.

Actually, the clerks in both Pamplona and Leon were confused as well in 2018. I too brought along a paper copy, which they referenced. One of them complained I should have had the bag wrapped in plastic. Then the supervisor came in and they wrapped the bag with a hand-role of plastic? It was before paq Mochilla went into seasonal operation. We shipped between major cities, Pamplona, Burgos and Leon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.