• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parador Discounts for Pilgrims

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola - I have tried to search for the above subject but no success.
So I wish to stay at the Parador Hotels in Burgos and Leon (I am planning 2 nights in each). Do pilgrims (particularly those over 65) receive a discount of the listed room rates?? I had a look on the various booking sites and they did not really cover the above circumstances. Thanks in advance for any assistance. ;):(:rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is no discount on the Royal Suite in Santiago de Compostela. If you want to sleep in the King's bed and put your muddy boots up on his desk in the drawing room, you'll have to pay full boat.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola - I have tried to search for the above subject but no success.
So I wish to stay at the Parador Hotels in Burgos and Leon (I am planning 2 nights in each). Do pilgrims (particularly those over 65) receive a discount of the listed room rates?? I had a look on the various booking sites and they did not really cover the above circumstances. Thanks in advance for any assistance. ;):(:rolleyes:

Looks like they do currently have a 15% discount (special offer till the end of this year): http://www.parador.es/en/offers/normal/special-rate-pilgrims-way-st-james - there are terms and conditions, and you can only get the discount if you book in advance (and there are limited rooms at the discount price). Some days you might find they have other specials which are cheaper, but anyway - the discount seems to be an option currently.

One thing though - I don't think there is a Parador in Burgos. Along the Frances there is Santo Domingo de la Calzada (x2), Leon, Villafranca del Bierzo and Santiago. I think that's all.

I stayed in Parador Leon in May and got discounts, both for the room and for the restaurant. We had to book in advance, though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used the pilgrim discount in the parador in Benavente last autumn and, from the confusion and curiousity I caused at reception and in the dining room (there's a special pilgrim menu as well), was clearly the first person to use it. Doesn't work on the Levante, for some reason, so not in Toledo, which seems a pity, or Ávila.

If you plan to stay in paradors regularly, it's well worth becoming an amigo de paradores, which can be done online - the discount is often better than the pilgrim one (2 nights for 1 off season etc), and roughly one night in 10 free.

There is a senior discount (Golden years, I think). Also, the Amigos card will get you points toward a free stay or a discount.
http://www.parador.es/en

BTW, there is no Parador in Burgos. In Leon, ask for a room in the old, original building.
In Santo Domingo de la Calzada there are 2, the 'de la Calzada' is the better one.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you all for the very useful information. I will load the link to use when I depart Pamplona (will also check bookings.com - have used them on a number of occasions.) Mike

@Saint Mike II we found the pilgrim rate was the best of the three - Booking.com v Golden Oldies v Pilgrim rate. And with the Pilgrim rate we also got the best discounts on the food (although you do get that with Golden Oldies too). BTW if you do use Booking.com for other places, don't include breakfast for a higher price. A few times when we got to the hotel and we showed our credential they gave us breakfast free, but they could not do that if we had already included it with the booked room.

Stayed 5 times at Paradores in the last 12 months; while frequently using booking.com for other places, I never do for Paradores, strictly use www.parador.es. In fact, I found booking.com ALWAYS more expensive at Paradores. Example, today's published prices for Aug. 09: Leon twin room € 103.70 (booking.com € 143.00)
On the camino, I usually just call the central reservation number +34 902 54 79 79 one or two days ahead, explain them that I am a worn-out peregrino on the wrong side of the "Golden age" limit and several times I got an un-published special rate way lower than online (keep on asking insistingly, if the prices offered are "really the lowest ones" and often they "find" yet another reduction). Leon and Santo Domingo are mostly a good deal, the SdC Parador however is tough, reductions very limited...but then, SdC has a lot of other excellent hotels with very friendly prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's been my experience that non EU seniors aren't entitled to EU senior discounts in eruope. ????

Fare conditions and details
Exclusive offer for Pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago and staying in bed and breakfast, until December 29, 2015.

• 15% of the price of accommodation and breakfast Parador rate.
  • 10% discount on lunch and dinner.
  • "Pilgrim" 18 euros (15 € in the Restaurants "Enxebre" menu)
  • Only individual traffic.
What conditions stay?

• For stays of three consecutive nights at the same Parador.
  • Offer subject to a limited number of rooms.
When and how you can make a reservation?

How I can benefit from this special rate?

• You must present the official Pilgrim's duly dated and validated or, where appropriate, the Compostela.
Information and reservations

Observations:

• Prior booking is essential.
  • In the case of the Parador de Santo Domingo Bernardo de Fresneda breakfast is a la carte.
General conditions
  • To benefit from the conditions of this offer you must make your booking in advance, stating your wish to it, before arriving at the Parador.
  • This promotion can not be combined with other discounts or special offer and is subject to a limited number of rooms.
  • The implementation schedule is subject to change without notice.
  • The rates shown include the taxes applicable on the date of publication. Any variation in the concepts, bases or tax rates applicable, will lead to their consequent impact on the final price of the service, on the date on which it is provided.

It's been my experience that non EU seniors aren't entitled to EU senior discounts in eruope. ????
Hi, Urban Trekker,

Parador discounts are available to seniors from any country. In other cases, my experiences have been mixed. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but it never hurts to ask. This summer I found that my university ID entitled me to a lot of discounts as a teacher, but that was almost exclusively in Catalunya, where I got in to a ton of museums, cloisters, etc, for free. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Urban Trekker,

Parador discounts are available to seniors from any country. In other cases, my experiences have been mixed. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but it never hurts to ask. This summer I found that my university ID entitled me to a lot of discounts as a teacher, but that was almost exclusively in Catalunya, where I got in to a ton of museums, cloisters, etc, for free. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Ill keep trying. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Hi Urban Trekker,

It is also worth joining up as an "Amigo" on the Parador web site. This is free and as well as welcome drink you can get access to another discount.

I looked at booking Leon over Christmas and the Pilgrim rate for two nights was 182 Euros; but the Amigo "Two better than One" rate was 160 Euro.

Glen Moray

Hi Urban Trekker,
It is also worth going up as an "Amigo" on the parador web site. This is free and as well as welcome drink you can get access to another discount.
Glen Moray

Joining the Amigos is a good idea. (It also gives you free parking in those few paradores where there is a charge, but of course, most pilgrims won't have a need of that bonus!). There were several years when my husband and I took a number of trips that included nights in paradores. Then about three years ago, on my first Camino de Invierno, when I was exhausted, straggling into Monforte de Lemos, I saw the parador. I knew that we had accumulated a lot of their Amigo "points", but also knew they had expired. When I explained my plight to the woman at the desk, she called Parador Central, and they authorized her to re-institute my expired points and give me a free night at the parador. When I walk on the Camino, I don't usually feel like staying in a parador, but this time it was really perfect. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you get to a place with a Parador in the afternoon and ask politely in Spanish, you may get incredible prices. We paid €100 in Santiago and got a huge suite for three people, only €65 in Tui, and they threw in breakfast because we looked so pitiful and bedraggled in the rain and had brought my husband's Amigos de Paradores membership card.

But pre-booking, you won't get that kind of prices.

They only offer a few rooms at Pilgrims rates (and these are slightly bette rthan the over 55 rate which is also subject to availability) so you need to book in advance to get either and only direct on the Paradors website not any other booking site

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola - have signed up as an Amigo. Thanks to all for your assistance - this is still the best "info guide" available anywhere! Buen Camino ;):D

They only offer a few rooms at Pilgrims rates (and these are slightly bette rthan the over 55 rate which is also subject to availability) so you need to book in advance to get either and only direct on the Paradors website not any other booking site

If you get to a place with a Parador in the afternoon and ask politely in Spanish, you may get incredible prices. We paid €100 in Santiago and got a huge suite for three people, only €65 in Tui, and they threw in breakfast because we looked so pitiful and bedraggled in the rain and had brought my husband's Amigos de Paradores membership card.

But pre-booking, you won't get that kind of prices.
Yes, HeidiL looking pitiful and bedraggled does help. It certainly worked for me at the parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and in Burgos I arrived absolutely exhausted and looking it at the NH hotel (calle de la Merced?) After the staff mumbled discretely to each other they decided to put me up in the "matrimonial room" - beautifully appointed with four poster and banquette seating at the window overlooking the river. So being a bit pathetic does pay off (although I worked it a bit :) )

Thank you all for the very useful information. I will load the link to use when I depart Pamplona (will also check bookings.com - have used them on a number of occasions.) Mike

Once in Pamplona just book ahead a few days mate.
Only last month we used the Parador in Santo Domingo and it cost us 112 e
[ $173A]
Two years ago we stayed in the Parador @ Santiago.
Price was too expensive for one night but if we stayed for 2 the cost was 105e/night.

Great Hotel in Ventosa and i mean great, let them cook diner.
Great Hotel in Viana , might have to book if weekend.
Great Hotel in Logrono [ NH group, 65e/double]
**Attached to Hotel Monaco in Los Arcos is a great restaurant , and before you go to bed for 1.80e you get a tapas and drink.
The place will be full of locals , food very good.

Keep away from bookings .com , not needed.
Spend a few extra $$ and enjoy.
You know what it would bloody cost in Sydney,
Safe and blister free trip Mike,
David

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola - if you have stayed at the Leon Paradore recently can you please clarify - which rooms do pilgrims get to stay in?? I have seen reviews from Trip Advisor that talk about using the rooms in a section of the hotel built in 1966, yet if you (like me) have seen the movie The Way then where are the rooms that Martin Sheen and Co stayed in?? Especially as he remarks about these rooms being available in the Q & A that follows the movie. Thanks in advance!!

Hola - if you have stayed at the Leon Paradore recently can you please clarify - which rooms do pilgrims get to stay in??
Hi in Nov 2013 my sister and I were given an ensuite twin bedroom on the fifth floor. We had the impression that that floor was probably reserved for pilgrims / cheap booking.com reservations, etc. Jill

Hola - if you have stayed at the Leon Paradore recently can you please clarify - which rooms do pilgrims get to stay in?? I have seen reviews from Trip Advisor that talk about using the rooms in a section of the hotel built in 1966, yet if you (like me) have seen the movie The Way then where are the rooms that Martin Sheen and Co stayed in?? Especially as he remarks about these rooms being available in the Q & A that follows the movie. Thanks in advance!!

I read that although shots of the exterior of the hotel are featured in The Way the rooms they filmed in are in fact in the SDeC Paradore and not the Leon hotel. I stayed in the Leon Paradore in April this year having booked a twin room through Booking.com at one hour's notice, the price included breakfast for myself and fellow pilgrim. The beautiful room overlooked the plaza and had a balcony with table and chairs, which proved an excellent place to finish a bottle of vino tinto from our meal. When we arrived, the man at reception said that it was a shame that we had not booked direct as the hotel would have been able to offer a much cheaper price. Suggest that you check that the room you are booking has a balcony overlooking the plaza - I think it was on the third floor - the numbers began with 3?? anyway. Do make sure you have the breakfast it is wonderful, and make time to explore the ancient cloisters and rest of the building. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't think there are any special (or not so special) rooms for pilgrims in the Leon parador. I know that there is a modern wing, which is where I have stayed on several occasions, once while walking, other times not. The rooms are all identical, there are floors of them, comfortable but nothing out of this world. I had heard that the rooms in the original building are actually not as nice, but that might not be right. It's the common areas that are places we go "wow" about, not the bedrooms (or in my case, the thick towels and silky sheets that are an amazing luxury after nights in albergues). Buen camino, Laurie

I read that although shots of the exterior of the hotel are featured in The Way the rooms they filmed in are in fact in the SDeC Paradore and not the Leon hotel. I stayed in the Leon Paradore in April this year having booked a twin room through Booking.com at one hour's notice, the price included breakfast for myself and fellow pilgrim. The beautiful room overlooked the plaza and had a balcony with table and chairs, which proved an excellent place to finish a bottle of vino tinto from our meal. When we arrived, the man at reception said that it was a shame that we had not booked direct as the hotel would have been able to offer a much cheaper price. Suggest that you check that the room you are booking has a balcony overlooking the plaza - I think it was on the third floor - the numbers began with 3?? anyway. Do make sure you have the breakfast it is wonderful, and make time to explore the ancient cloisters and rest of the building. Buen Camino!

I have been told, by more than one Lavacolla resident that the hotel scene was shot at Pazo Xan Xordo. But I did not verify that, though I have been there twice.

The old portion of the Leon Parador is strictly suites and jr. suites, per the front desk. The rooms are stunning, and there are 2 special room in the corner towers.

Last year, we stayed at paradors in SDdlC and SdC, and earned enough Amigo points for 2 free nights at the Parador in Bielsa, in a beautiful remote section of the Pyrenees, a great place to sight-see and unwind with some day hikes.

I have been told, by more than one Lavacolla resident that the hotel scene was shot at Pazo Xan Xordo. But I did not verify that, though I have been there twice.

The old portion of the Leon Parador is strictly suites and jr. suites, per the front desk. The rooms are stunning, and there are 2 special room in the corner towers.

Last year, we stayed at paradors in SDdlC and SdC, and earned enough Amigo points for 2 free nights at the Parador in Bielsa, in a beautiful remote section of the Pyrenees, a great place to sight-see and unwind with some day hikes.

Thanks for the clarification. No wonder I never got a room in the old portion, I was strictly a "standard room" customer. But as far as those go, I think they are all the same and all pretty standard-issue -- it's the wing that stretches out back along the river.

Ohhhh... Bielsa, now that is an amazing place -- did you get info on day hikes from parador staff or did you have some other source? Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the clarification. No wonder I never got a room in the old portion, I was strictly a "standard room" customer. But as far as those go, I think they are all the same and all pretty standard-issue -- it's the wing that stretches out back along the river.

Ohhhh... Bielsa, now that is an amazing place -- did you get info on day hikes from parador staff or did you have some other source? Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, I recall that the parador had all the info and maps needed for the area.
The parador is very remote, at the end of the road through a beautiful valley.
Below is a panorama from the hotel parking lot.
The parador restaurant is average, but if you drive back about 10 km there is a local place that is wonderful: Kanguro Trucha (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ruchero-Bielsa_Province_of_Huesca_Aragon.html). Great simple food in a rustic cafe.
The area and the hiking is fabulous, especially in the nearby park Ordesa.
We were there end of October, first of November. When we left to return to Santander, the first snow storm was licking at our heels (or car bumper, actually).
BTW, even after weeks of walking the CF, and more walking in Spain and South France, the altitude still got to us.

2014-11-02-09.36.45.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Haven't seen anyone mention the Paradore de Villafanca del Bierzo. We thoroughly enjoyed out stay there after over 30 days mostly in albergues. We got a pilgrim discount on the room and a very good dinner at a special pilgrim price. We even enjoyed the pool for an hour or so. What a great break. The LARGE towels reminded us of some of the simple pleasures we had given up for most of our Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

You got your answers about the Paradors from Laurie and Buddy Mike
Make sure if staying in the one in Santo Domingo its near the square and in the back. You hear a few less bells. Great restaurants in Santo Domingo.
*If you wish to stay in a hotel that Marin Sheen definitely stayed in then stay 700m past Larrasoana in Hotel Akarreta.
The bedrooms and downstairs sitting room are magnificent.
Great beer garden which is on the camino .If you want lunch food can be sought from the grocer in the village.
or
Joseph or Julie will drive you [ 3 minutes] to a local *star restr. for dinner and pick you up when the owner calls them.
The meal will be one of the best you have when away .
We each had 3 courses , 4 wines and 3 beers . Cost was 32 euro's each. The wines were serious stuff.

We are currently staying at the Parador in Leon. 2nd floor where the pilgrim buffet breakfast is served. Our ensuite room is fantastic and overlooks a beautiful maze garden. We booked directly through the Parador site and got a great deal, considering brekky is included.

Make sure if staying in the one in Santo Domingo its near the square and in the back. You hear a few less bells. Great restaurants in Santo Domingo.
*If you wish to stay in a hotel that Marin Sheen definitely stayed in then stay 700m past Larrasoana in Hotel Akarreta.
The bedrooms and downstairs sitting room are magnificent.
Great beer garden which is on the camino .If you want lunch food can be sought from the grocer in the village.
+1 on the SDdlC restaurants. I visited there several times before walking the CF.
And another vote for Hotel Akarreta. I'd go back just for a weekend of hiking and relaxation.

Greetings and thanks to all who responded. I never cease to be amazed at the quality and quantity of the responses my fellow pilgrims provide. It is worth every Euro cent of the donation to keep Ivar on the air. Cheers to all; clear skies and not too hot days on your Camino. Mike

Haven't seen anyone mention the Paradore de Villafanca del Bierzo. We thoroughly enjoyed out stay there after over 30 days mostly in albergues. We got a pilgrim discount on the room and a very good dinner at a special pilgrim price. We even enjoyed the pool for an hour or so. What a great break. The LARGE towels reminded us of some of the simple pleasures we had given up for most of our Camino.
Hola - I do not see a Paradore listed for Villafranca (in Brierley) does it have another name or do you have an address/phone number?

(Have just found it).Thanks

€83,-
Hola - I do not see a Paradore listed for Villafranca (in Brierley) does it have another name or do you have an address/phone number?

(Have just found it).Thanks

Mike thats why you should invest in Miam Miam Do Do and leave Brierley alone , we have not had him in our kick since the 4th day of camino in 08
Villafranca;
P73, number 7
***** Parador
36 chambres
Closes from 18/10-28/2

Sorry CaptBuddy, I meant to ask Thornley

Would be great to know the names..., thanks

Pano , you should also buy a MMDD , it is the one mate,
In order of the arrow;
Viana;
Hotel Palacio de Pujadas , rooms very spacious , classy.You will need 80e /double
Logrono;
Hotel NH Herencia , its on the camino path just past the Tourismo.
65 euro a double . Well worth the stay as this is a very food orientated city.
Ventosa;
Hotel **rural Casona de las Aquedas
90 euros for dinner and bed.
Sounds expensive??
Bed room and sitting room will get rid of all aches, really beautiful.
Just leave the washing on the door , you are told , the owner does not hesitate to do this for you. From Le Puy we copped crap amounts for this simple service.
Sit in the outside garden or fall asleep in the chairs under the pergola.
**Dinner is worth the 15 euro each.......its class , provided with silverware etc.

We stayed in these places Pano but only after starting down the track one might say a many years ago. We came across them whilst in the alberques and promised we would one day upgrade.

Hard going back now my friend.

@Thornley where did you get your copy of Miam Miam? I want a copy before September, its a bit late to order it from France.

€83,-
We are not going to France.
Sorry. That is usually the reason for wanting an MMD.

For this Parador subject thread, they put out a very nice map of all their locations. It is available in all the Parador lobbies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I know, I'm a Parador groupie, when I can afford it. But the Miam Miam is useful for all other accommodation within 5km of the path. I've now ordered it but it is doubtful it will arrive on time.

Pano , you should also buy a MMDD , it is the one mate,
In order of the arrow;
Viana;
Hotel Palacio de Pujadas , rooms very spacious , classy.You will need 80e /double
Logrono;
Hotel NH Herencia , its on the camino path just past the Tourismo.
65 euro a double . Well worth the stay as this is a very food orientated city.
Ventosa;
Hotel **rural Casona de las Aquedas
90 euros for dinner and bed.
Sounds expensive??
Bed room and sitting room will get rid of all aches, really beautiful.
Just leave the washing on the door , you are told , the owner does not hesitate to do this for you. From Le Puy we copped crap amounts for this simple service.
Sit in the outside garden or fall asleep in the chairs under the pergola.
**Dinner is worth the 15 euro each.......its class , provided with silverware etc.

We stayed in these places Pano but only after starting down the track one might say a many years ago. We came across them whilst in the alberques and promised we would one day upgrade.

Hard going back now my friend.
Many thanks, Thornley. Very tempting to do the camino one more time, but in style....I'll look into that!:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I know, I'm a Parador groupie, when I can afford it. But the Miam Miam is useful for all other accommodation within 5km of the path. I've now ordered it but it is doubtful it will arrive on time.

You can afford it kanga, the homes up there are increasing daily.
Remortgage $1000 mate and live in the groupies life style.
We have carried enough kgs over the years and gone to bed toooo early meeting the closing times of the albergues.
If i knew you were stuck i could have sent MMDD up.
Went on return to a couple who left 12/8
The kids get us a copy each year Kanga as a Christmas present , not always the Frances.

Many thanks, Thornley. Very tempting to do the camino one more time, but in style....I'll look into that!:p

It makes it enjoyable for HRH Pano.
I always end up in the nearest bar whilst she writes, washes and relaxes. But the secret for HRH is her 7 euro's bag transport.
I'm loaded up and she just relaxes on the way.

Can you put the names to those "Great Hotels", thanks :)

Forgot the first one on the way and nearly the best,

Hotel Akerreta , which is just before Pamplona.
It is 700m past Larrasoana , right on the camino.
**This is where the owner was pretending in movie "The Way" to be a matador.
The owners [ Julie and Joseph] of this beautiful boutique hotel will drive you to a *star restaurant [ El Molino ] just outside of Larrasoana , a 3 minute trip. After dinner and it was wonderful they collect and drive you back.
The bedroom was 7m x 7m...this is a serious place and after the first 3 days this is what is needed.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Just to tempt you Pano this itinerary just occurred in blistering heat;
Started 20 km before StJPP as we were walking GR65, another 11km

[1]Valcarlos
Casa Rural Xtxezuria , paid 50 e for luxury , gardens and home.
Actually prefer this way as the village has good restaurants.
[2]
Burguette
Hotel Loizu , very nice but not required as camino was empty .
Good CR in the town.
Good food in Hostel Burguette on right as you enter, must have pamplona sausage as tapas, Txistorra, very good indeed.

**Very long walk 30km , temp getting to 30c as we finished in
[3]
Akerreta [ Larrasoana]
* As above mate , wonderful stay.
[4]
Pamplona,
Hotel Maisonnave , over the top but Festival was on and all places were booked , even on the last day.
[5]
Puenta la Reina
Hotel El Cerco , the best in the town by a mile.
Lovely owner who goes out of her way , boutique.
[6]
Estella,
Our old favourite Fonda San Andres.
Middle of square , great pension.
[7]
Vianna , as described earlier
[8]
Logrono , as described earlier
[9]
Ventosa, as described earlier
**Another very long walk , 32km to,

[10] Santo Domingo and a cold bath in the Parador.
No more to say here.

We had been away 6 weeks in France and Spain so turned right on the bus and ended up in San Sebastian for 4 nights before flying the 24 hours to a wintery Australia
**HRH will not be going back to this section of the camino again Pano so thats the reason why a few extra $$ was spent plus the temp. was never below 28c .

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just to tempt you Pano this itinerary just occurred in blistering heat;
Started 20 km before StJPP as we were walking GR65, another 11km

[1]Valcarlos
Casa Rural Xtxezuria , paid 50 e for luxury , gardens and home.
Actually prefer this way as the village has good restaurants.
[2]
Burguette
Hotel Loizu , very nice but not required as camino was empty .
Good CR in the town.
Good food in Hostel Burguette on right as you enter, must have pamplona sausage as tapas, Txistorra, very good indeed.

**Very long walk 30km , temp getting to 30c as we finished in
[3]
Akerreta [ Larrasoana]
* As above mate , wonderful stay.
[4]
Pamplona,
Hotel Maisonnave , over the top but Festival was on and all places were booked , even on the last day.
[5]
Puenta la Reina
Hotel El Cerco , the best in the town by a mile.
Lovely owner who goes out of her way , boutique.
[6]
Estella,
Our old favourite Fonda San Andres.
Middle of square , great pension.
[7]
Vianna , as described earlier
[8]
Logrono , as described earlier
[9]
Ventosa, as described earlier
**Another very long walk , 32km to,
[10] Santo Domingo and a cold bath in the Parador.
No more to say here.
We had been away 6 weeks in France and Spain so turned right on the bus and ended up in San Sebastian for 4 nights before flying the 24 hours to a wintery Australia
**HRH will not be going back to this section of the camino again Pano so thats the reason why a few extra $$ was spent plus the temp. was never below 28c .
Hey Thornley, I like your style....added all your tips into my "special list", only problem is that distances between some fabulous places are too small, hardly any walking....but then, what the heck!
Btw: Santo Domingo: Stayed in both Paradores and found the "Bernardo de Fresneda" nicer, ask for a room toward the garden and wake up with bird songs; phenomenal breakfast buffet! No dinner though, but in SD with such fantastic restaurants like the "La Candela", who needs it anyway.
Yep, you managed to raise my motivation alright, mate! Thanks again for those invaluable tips!

Hey Thornley, I like your style....added all your tips into my "special list", only problem is that distances between some fabulous places are too small, hardly any walking....but then, what the heck!
Btw: Santo Domingo: Stayed in both Paradores and found the "Bernardo de Fresneda" nicer, ask for a room toward the garden and wake up with bird songs; phenomenal breakfast buffet! No dinner though, but in SD with such fantastic restaurants like the "La Candela", who needs it anyway.
Yep, you managed to raise my motivation alright, mate! Thanks again for those invaluable tips!

Pano old mate [who i believe suffered from heatstroke last camino ] is now saying the distances between places is important to walking.......not in our case , never has been never will be.

1/ Over 380km in France before entering Spain , temp ranged from 24c to 40c each day.....20 days overall and a tad harder than Frances.

2/On entering Spain in Valcarlos we had walked 31km

3/ Burgette was only 19km , but we wished to see and old friend who was our first pension owner on original camino 7 years ago. Not possible and never will be , family have closed the CR

4/ 30km to Akarreta , temp nearing 30c before 1pm
5/ 10km to Pamplona to enjoy the last day of the weeks festival .
How many people have seen this wonderful city in festive mode?
Arrived by lunch so we could enjoy
6/Over the old "Alto" Pano, and down again , so only 25km to Puerta.
7/Only 23km to Estella ,old Roman Roads , temp 30c
8/** 39km today Pano to Vianna, temp not down just places to stop early.
9/Short 10km and a 2 day stop in Logrono to eat in laurel Street etc.
10/20km to Ventosa as my wife adores the Hotel there.
and finally
11/ 32 km walk into Santo Domingo.

As HRH will not walk this section again we stayed in places we normally don't but in temp. of over 30c most days an average distance of 24km for the 10 days is ok with us.

€83,-
Pano old mate [who i believe suffered from heatstroke last camino ] is now saying the distances between places is important to walking.......not in our case , never has been never will be.
1/ Over 380km in France before entering Spain , temp ranged from 24c to 40c each day.....20 days overall and a tad harder than Frances.
2/On entering Spain in Valcarlos we had walked 31km
3/ Burgette was only 19km , but we wished to see and old friend who was our first pension owner on original camino 7 years ago. Not possible and never will be , family have closed the CR
4/ 30km to Akarreta , temp nearing 30c before 1pm
5/ 10km to Pamplona to enjoy the last day of the weeks festival .
How many people have seen this wonderful city in festive mode?
Arrived by lunch so we could enjoy
6/Over the old "Alto" Pano, and down again , so only 25km to Puerta.
7/Only 23km to Estella ,old Roman Roads , temp 30c
8/** 39km today Pano to Vianna, temp not down just places to stop early.
9/Short 10km and a 2 day stop in Logrono to eat in laurel Street etc.
10/20km to Ventosa as my wife adores the Hotel there.
and finally
11/ 32 km walk into Santo Domingo.
As HRH will not walk this section again we stayed in places we normally don't but in temp. of over 30c most days an average distance of 24km for the 10 days is ok with us.
Thornley you're a cornucopia of information, should walk with you next time:p. Pano [who suffered from heatstroke last camino] NEVER said that the distances between places is important to walking! My comment merely reflected my thoughts when adding the places recommended by HRH's husband to my accommodation-list, which is getting crowded. This list (attached) is highly confidential and private...keep it that way!

Attachments

• Accomodations, Camino 2015.pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 15
Thornley you're a cornucopia of information, should walk with you next time:p. Pano [who suffered from heatstroke last camino] NEVER said that the distances between places is important to walking! My comment merely reflected my thoughts when adding the places recommended by HRH's husband to my accommodation-list, which is getting crowded. This list (attached) is highly confidential and private...keep it that way!

Agree with 90%
Unfortunately Simone is no longer in Villatuerta but the place is still magic according to friends who stayed there in July.

Agree with 90%
Unfortunately Simone is no longer in Villatuerta but the place is still magic according to friends who stayed there in July.
Thanks for the 90%, re: Simone, that's a shame; stayed twice at her place and she looked for a buyer a long time. Hope that the spirit of the place remains, will check that out. Anyone out there with an update opin?

Attached: Meditation room of Casa Magica, where our fellow Peregrina Agnes gave us an expert Shiatsu Massage.

IMG_1507.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back