• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parador in Leon

Eibhlís

Time of past OR future Camino
2000 I walked 300km of the Camino Frances.
2020 I plan to walk the whole 800km.
Hi everyone,
I want to stay for a night in the Parador in Leon but I can't find it online. Does anyone know why this might be?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think you will find it's still undergoing a major renovation. Virtually all the back part of the hotel was demolished at the end of 2017. I have not seen a new opening date but maybe have a look at their web site. I stayed there in 2015 and 2017 - love the place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think you will find it's still undergoing a major renovation. Virtually all the back part of the hotel was demolished at the end of 2017. I have not seen a new opening date but maybe have a look at their web site. I stayed there in 2015 and 2017 - love the place.
Thank you for the information. What a shame. I was really looking forward to staying there. 😔

Thank you for the information. What a shame. I was really looking forward to staying there. 😔
Just wait until it reopens and come back as an ordinary tourist. Although if you have a pilgrim passport you will get a E10/20/30 discount (I can't remember the exact figure). Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone,
I want to stay for a night in the Parador in Leon but I can't find it online. Does anyone know why this might be?
There are other Paradors all along the Caminos. Never stayed in one but there is a parador website to give you all the locations and you can always stay in the big one across from the Cathedral in Santiago.

For those who are awating the re-opening, looks like the most recent news is that it will be open as of late May, just in time for peak pilgrim period. May 31 to be exact. No reservations are being accepted, so it is not written in stone. The article says some people are skeptical of that date.

It's been closed since 2017, and I believe it involved knocking down the entire "modern wing" along the river. Would love to see some pictures if anyone has gone by recently.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Virtually all the back part of the hotel was demolished at the end of 2017

I thought Paradors were historical buildings preserved by the government? Very odd.

Alhambra next?

Many of the paradores in historic buildings have modern additions. The vast majority of rooms in the Leon parador were never in the historic part, it was a long wing out back (so it didn't interfere with the views of the old hospital/church). The few in the old part were the extra special expensive rooms.

Btw, not all the paradores are historical buildings, there are some that are new construction. The soon to be reopened hotel at the Puerto de Pajares (on the Salvador) was once a parador, for instance. There's a new one in Fuente Dé on the Vadiniense, too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For those who are awating the re-opening, looks like the most recent news is that it will be open as of late May, just in time for peak pilgrim period. May 31 to be exact. No reservations are being accepted, so it is not written in stone. The article says some people are skeptical of that date.

It's been closed since 2017, and I believe it involved knocking down the entire "modern wing" along the river. Would love to see some pictures if anyone has gone by recently.
Thanks for the update. Where did you see that article?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in the Parador in Leon in 2013 and in Santiago in 2015. What delightful respites. Thanks for the info on the renovations - looking forward to staying there again.

There are other Paradors all along the Caminos. Never stayed in one but there is a parador website to give you all the locations and you can always stay in the big one across from the Cathedral in Santiago.
I've stayed in both, and they are remarkably similar in feel, but the one in Leon was a whole lot cheaper!

€149,-
I've stayed in both, and they are remarkably similar in feel, but the one in Leon was a whole lot cheaper!
I am sure you are really right about that. When I was on the Camino Norte I stopped in a really nice tourist town of Santillan. Late that afternoon we were having a beer and there was a Parador right in front of where we were having a beer. For the heck of it I checked on Booking.com and I could have gotten a room there for 60 Euros. But unfortunately the day before we had taken an extra day in Santander. We did share a room in a really nice private alberguewith a lovely garden and we split a private room for about 15 euros each including breakfast. I think the albergue was called El Convento. Really nice but alas, not a Parador!

I thought Paradors were historical buildings preserved by the government? Very odd.

Alhambra next?

Hola Gallo
Yes they are -in general. Although some are 20th C recreations with no historic value.

In the case of San Marcos the "historic" front section (over 400 years old) was retained, including those two rooms you see in The Way movie. What was demolished was the "modern" section - behind the historic. These are the rooms I stayed in, in 2015 and 2017. It will be great to see how sympathetic the 21st C renovations have been. So yes I endorse Laurie's request for some recent photo. Cheers

I stayed at the Parador in Leon on my first Camino and regretted it. It is too far from the Cathedral and the old area of town. After a long day of hiking I didn’t walk to walk over a mile back and forth.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you walk by the Leon parador while on the Camino? I would like to take a picture of the statue in front of it. I'm a nerd who plans on taking a million pictures of statues, shells, and everything else.☺

Yeah! I'm hoping to walk through there at the end of April, I think. I start from SJPP on April 10th. Fingers crossed, unless the dreaded coronavirus somehow derails the camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed at the Parador in Leon on my first Camino and regretted it. It is too far from the Cathedral and the old area of town. After a long day of hiking I didn’t walk to walk over a mile back and forth.
I have stayed a couple of times in Hostal Don Suero in Leon, on the camino and about half a block from the Parador. I had no problem walking back and forth the the centre of Leon for the two days of my stay. Last fall I did not stay in Hostal Don Sueros, as their price was way up, too much for me. But they said that the price varies, so this may still be an option for some.
If you stay at the Parador, make sure that you follow the yellow arrows to the Camino Frances, as it divides from the Salvador route right in front of the Parador.

Last edited:
If I'm needing some TLC, my choice would be Hotel Spa Paris, Leon. The spa was extra but well worth it. I can't comment on food as missed breakfast and ate elsewhere for dinner. Leon is my favourite major city on the route 🤠

Hi everyone,
It is Parador San Marcos, and one hour ago, on 4/29/23, we walked past it. It is very much in business and splendid.
Hi everyone,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is Parador San Marcos, and one hour ago, on 4/29/23, we walked past it. It is very much in business and splendid.
Good to hear that. I've got 3 nights booked into a Junior Suite there on my upcoming Camino. 2 rest days in Leon is always welcome and I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done to the new Parador.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.