Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Parador Sale in May and June

DoughnutANZ

I would rather be fishing
Past OR future Camino
If you are walking a Camino in May and June, you like making reservations ahead and you want a little luxury at a reasonable price then the Spanish Parador hotel chain has their annual Spring sale on for reservations until the 17th May for most dates in May and June.

You do need to be a member of their Amigos de Parador but that is free to join.

As an example the Parador de Villafranca del Bierzo is €65 per night for a single or double.

See: https://mobi.parador.es/es/ofertas-para-viajar-paradores#tabpage-landing_web_oferta-2

Or from the Parador website look for Offers in their drop down menu but be aware that you may not see this particular offer if you are not already an Amigo.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Tarisz

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese route in 2017
French route June 2022
65 Euros for a single bed? I wouldn't call it reasonable on a pilgrimage.

Schamber

Past OR future Camino
May and June 2022
If you are walking a Camino in May and June, you like making reservations ahead and you want a little luxury at a reasonable price then the Spanish Parador hotel chain has their annual Spring sale on for reservations until the 17th May for most dates in May and June.

As an example the Parador de Villafranca del Bierzo is €65 per night for a single or double.

See: https://mobi.parador.es/es/ofertas-para-viajar-paradores#tabpage-landing_web_oferta-2

Or from the Parador website look for Offers in their drop down menu but be aware that you may not see this particular offer if you are not already an Amigo.
I got a deal from them last year (for this year). Three paradors for $600 and then extra for Leon and Santiago. Maybe this deal is better. I’ll have to look into it.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
X

That requires a degree of context. To some it’s a pilgrimage; to others it’s a walking holiday. To some €65 is very expensive, to others it’s not.

The shared dorms and menu Peregrinos will still be available.

For those who want to stay in a Parador, the sale represents an opportunity to do so at a reduced price. I have to try hard to see that as a bad thing.

Tarisz

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese route in 2017
French route June 2022
That requires a degree of context. To some it’s a pilgrimage; to others it’s a walking holiday. To some €65 is very expensive, to others it’s not.

The shared dorms and menu Peregrinos will still be available.

For those who want to stay in a Parador, the sale represents an opportunity to do so at a reduced price. I have to try hard to see that as a bad thing.
You are right. It's not a bad thing at all. Simply, 65 Euros a night for 40 days plus other expenses would be far beyond many pilgrims' budget, including mine.

Past OR future Camino
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Back in 2006 I was sick in Santa Domingo and couldn’t find a room so I walked into the Parador and got a room. I paid with a credit card. It was the best night of my entire Camino practically. I got three hot baths and ate like a queen. When I got home the bill was $350 but it was the best $350 I think I’ve ever spent!

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Tarisz

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese route in 2017
French route June 2022
On our pilgrimage my walking buddies and I paid up to twice that price for the comfort. Of course, we shared the cost since we shared the bed.
View attachment 124721
You may find it surprising but 99% of the people walking the Camino cannot afford such luxuries like the promoted hotel and your clip is less than provocative, it is morbid. We live in two different worlds. Please, spare me of such comments. Thank you.

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
You may find it surprising but 99% of the people walking the Camino cannot afford such luxuries like the promoted hotel and your clip is less than provocative, it is morbid. We live in two different worlds. Please, spare me of such comments. Thank you.

I will not start a discussion on statistics and your bold statement that 99 percent of Camino pilgrims cannot afford a paradorstay.
For instance 65 € in a Parador would be affordable for me ,seeing I just took a look what my favourite middlepriced hotel at the Belgian seaside would set me back for the weekend ( btw that would be 70 € per night ).

The possibility for all kind of beds , especially on the Francés, is very extensive.So the Camino is most probably one of the best places to have an affordable and democratic stay / pilgrimage/ holiday.

I saw the clip through humourful and playful glasses. So I believe that calling that morbid is too strong a word.

We do not live " in two different worlds " . We live in one world but yes we all have to adapt within the limits of our personal possibilities/ financial resources.

Buen Camino.

jeanineonthecamino

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2021, 2022
If you can't afford it - then of course ignore the tip. But - for those who are planning an occasional night of splurging on extra comfort while in the Camino - postings like this are very welcome! I do say though - for you to say that 99% of people walking the Camino cannot afford such luxuries - is quite the stretch. There are people who pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars simply to have someone book their rooms, transport their packs, and pre-purchase their dinners. There are people who pay for private rooms every night of their Camino. Then there are many who mix municipal albergues with private albergues and throw in the occasional private room. 65 Euros for ONE (or even a few) nights of luxury is within budget for MANY on the Camino. I believed I paid as much for a night in O Cebreiro when all the surrounding albergues in all the surrounding towns were full. I also paid as much in Roncesvalles when I couldn't figure out what was happening with the albergue (I arrived right after Spain reopened to tourists - and there was some confusion regarding the Municipal being available). Both nights were wonderful as I got caught up on sleep and loved the longer private showers.

So with that - thank you to the OP for the tip!

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
F

Former member 99290

Gracias @Doughnut NZ We have ‘splurged’ twice at a Parador - once in Leon in 2013 and few years later in Merida at the conclusion of our Mozarabe. In fact that time we stayed two nights. And both occasions receiving a pilgrims discount. In Leon, the check in was At noon and we were there 10 minutes before noon to eke every moment out of our 20 hours of luxury.

When you are two or more and the price sometimes includes breakfast - it was not so expensive for us. Especially averaging out our accommodation costs in total.

What I really like about the approach of the Paradors to pilgrims, in my experience, is that you can arrive dirty, sweaty, muddy - and so on - and you receive a warm welcome from the staff as if you were just like any other guest. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Oz

Past OR future Camino
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
Gracias @Doughnut NZ We have ‘splurged’ twice at a Parador - once in Leon in 2013 and few years later in Merida at the conclusion of our Mozarabe. In fact that time we stayed two nights. And both occasions receiving a pilgrims discount. In Leon, the check in was At noon and we were there 10 minutes before noon to eke every moment out of our 20 hours of luxury.

When you are two or more and the price sometimes includes breakfast - it was not so expensive for us. Especially averaging out our accommodation costs in total.

What I really like about the approach of the Paradors to pilgrims, in my experience, is that you can arrive dirty, sweaty, muddy - and so on - and you receive a warm welcome from the staff as if you were just like any other guest. 😎
I also have stayed at two Paradors and particularly found the Leon stay very nice, and reasonably-priced.

Of course, if I was my late-teens/early 20's backpacker self, I would be aghast at the prospect of paying such an amount for accommodation!

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I find it a little hard to believe that 99% of people walking the Camino cannot afford 65 euros for a night's accommodation as a single splurge on their Camino. That's based on my experience and the people I met on a number of Caminos.

From reading the posts in these Forums, a fair number of the people here have stayed in paradors at least once. Many might be interested in the OP's information. You are not, but that's no reason to suggest it not be posted and deny others. The Camino contains multitudes and all types have gone to Santiago over the millenia: saints and sinners, paupers and royalty. Let's open our hearts to all of them, not just the few who match our idea of a "real pilgrim".

Tarisz

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese route in 2017
French route June 2022
I find it a little hard to believe that 99% of people walking the Camino cannot afford 65 euros for a night's accommodation as a single splurge on their Camino. That's based on my experience and the people I met on a number of Caminos.

From reading the posts in these Forums, a fair number of the people here have stayed in paradors at least once. Many might be interested in the OP's information. You are not, but that's no reason to suggest it not be posted and deny others. The Camino contains multitudes and all types have gone to Santiago over the millenia: saints and sinners, paupers and royalty. Let's open our hearts to all of them, not just the few who match our idea of a "real pilgrim".
If you read the thread from the beginning, you may see that I said 65 Euros is not affordable to many. I did not suggest the post should be removed. But I am sick and tired of being taught a moral lesson. I do not deny anyone's right to be pampered, but you are right: my idea of a Camino involves a certain degree of modesty.

Tarisz

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese route in 2017
French route June 2022
On our pilgrimage my walking buddies and I paid up to twice that price for the comfort. Of course, we shared the cost since we shared the bed.
View attachment 124721

View attachment 124721
With your videoclip you are trying suggest that people who cannot afford the luxuries of the promoted hotel, are miserable sinners for whom the Camino is a punishment for their deeds. I don't find it funny at all.

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
If you read the thread from the beginning, you may see that I said 65 Euros is not affordable to many. I did not suggest the post should be removed. But I am sick and tired of being taught a moral lesson. I do not deny anyone's right to be pampered, but you are right: my idea of a Camino involves a certain degree of modesty.
I apologize. I misunderstood "Please spare me of such comments" as "I don't want to see things I think won't apply to 99% of the people walking the Camino."

Re-reading the thread from the beginning, I see you wrote earlier:

Simply, 65 Euros a night for 40 days plus other expenses would be far beyond many pilgrims' budget, including mine.

If the issue isn't 65 euros as the occasional splurge but rather 65 euros every night for the Camino, you need not worry about the original post. It is simply not possible to stay at paradors every night while walking a Camino. There aren't enough of them. So far as I know they only exist in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Leon, Villafranca del Bierzo, and Santiago de Compostela on the Frances, as an example. Nicely spaced for an occasional splurge in a historical building but certainly not something that can be used every night.

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
With your videoclip you are trying suggest that people who cannot afford the luxuries of the promoted hotel, are miserable sinners for whom the Camino is a punishment for their deeds. I don't find it funny at all.

" Tongue in cheek! " Humour and fun are very personal issues.

The Camino is just like Life itself : the good , the bad &the ugly.

I see in your signature that you already walked the Camino Portugues so surely you are aware that there are many pilgrims with very different ideas, norms and values then yours.

How would you have reacted towards a fellow pilgrim who made a joke you would have less appreciated? I know my answer ; I would have smiled politely and would get on with my walking.
The same here with online ( social ) media. Sometimes it is better to agree that we disagree.

It is all good!

Is it not a gift that we can all embrace our differences?
You prefer more modest sleepingplaces while others enjoy the Paradortreatment and others prefer camping or a mix of everything.

All the best!

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
It is simply not possible to stay at paradors every night while walking a Camino. There aren't enough of them. So far as I know they only exist in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Leon, Villafranca del Bierzo, and Santiago de Compostela on the Frances
And what a rich and long pilgrimage history these Paradors have!

With the exception of the Parador in Villafranca del Bierzo which is contemporary, the other Paradors of the Camino Frances have all catered for pilgrims in the distant past. They originally were:
  • a 12th century hospital/albergue (Santo Domingo)
  • a 16th century monastery (Santo Domingo)
  • a 16th century monastery (Leon)
  • a 15th century hospital/albergue specifically built for arriving pilgrims (Santiago)
One of the Paradors in Santo Domingo de la Calzada is said to have been built under the supervision of Saint Dominic himself although I am not sure whether this is true. The Saint who is famous for all his work for the benefit of pilgrims and other travellers is buried in the Cathedral next to this Parador.

Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
. I do not deny anyone's right to be pampered, but you are right: my idea of a Camino involves a certain degree of modesty.
That is excellent.
And there's a range of ways people hold this. Some people are ascetics, others are sybarites - and everything in between.

Your idea of what is moderation will not the same as the next person's. It is your idea (which is different than right and wrong). So it is unrealistic to demand that other people tiptoe around your personal sense of what is correct. Besides, clinging to viewpoints is just plain suffering.

Whatever. The camino holds it all, graciously.
Buen camino to us all.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019) Camino Portuguese (2022)

Thank you for posting this information. I wanted to stay at the Parador in Pontevedra but when I tried to book it with breakfast it was 170 per night (way too much for one night). This link allowed me to get it for a fraction of the cost because if you are over 50 you get a better discount. In addition, with your first stay you receive a free breakfast coupon. I booked it!

Thank you again.....

Tarisz

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese route in 2017
French route June 2022
That is excellent.
And there's a range of ways people hold this. Some people are ascetics, others are sybarites - and everything in between.

Your idea of what is moderation will not the same as the next person's. It is your idea (which is different than right and wrong). So it is unrealistic to demand that other people tiptoe around your personal sense of what is correct. Besides, clinging to viewpoints is just plain suffering.

Whatever. The camino holds it all, graciously.
Buen camino to us all.
I don't understand all this upheaval. I did not demand anything, let alone that people should tiptoe around for my peace of mind. All I said was that a Parador is way too expensive for the thosands of pilgrims who stay at more affordable places. However, the 'humorous' videoclip posted by Rick and Peg may indeed be cutting since it suggests if one cannot afford your highly recommended hotel, then he must be such a miserable ascete as the clip depicts. This allusion I do reject and feel is untrue and unnecessary, it is blatantly ironic.

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Thank you for posting this information. I wanted to stay at the Parador in Pontevedra but when I tried to book it with breakfast it was 170 per night (way too much for one night). This link allowed me to get it for a fraction of the cost because if you are over 50 you get a better discount. In addition, with your first stay you receive a free breakfast coupon. I booked it!

Thank you again.....

I just typed in some random dates and places ( Caceres and Tortosa to name only a few ) and I found some interesting prices .Of course always cheaper in the week than in the weekend.
There are some advantages indeed being older than fifty :) ...

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
This allusion I do reject and feel is untrue and unnecessary, it is blatantly ironic.
One of the pitfalls of an international forum is that people's senses of humor are so different.
I've never stayed in a Parador and likely never will - and tend to the ascetic side of things. At least simple. I'd probably feel uncomfortable in a place like that. But I thought Rick's post was quite funny. Coming from another culture, your take was obviously different.
I'm sorry if my rejoinder caused offense.

May all our ruffled feathers (on both sides) be smoothed out. Buen camino, fellow pilgrim.

F

Former member 99290

As luck would have it, we are in Hondarribia right now, which has one of the more unusual Parador hotels - a 10th century castle built by the King of Navarre.

We love Hondarribia and have visited many times - for those walking the del Norte it’s an alternative and signposted starting point to Irun (2 kms away). The paths from Irun and Hondarribia join within the first km or so.

But back to the Parador - I checked out the sale but the Hondarribia Parador wasn’t included - but I’m sure we will at least have an apero there while we are here, as we usually do. 😎

Attachments

• F8B9D53F-9971-4F86-9153-21CCA9AE181A.jpeg
    F8B9D53F-9971-4F86-9153-21CCA9AE181A.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 03897103-8A31-46DE-A143-898066AB725F.jpeg
    03897103-8A31-46DE-A143-898066AB725F.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here