• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parador Santiago

susanrunning

Time of past OR future Camino
September 19
Hey! Does anyone know if the Parador in Santiago is closed in October? I wanted to treat a friend but seem unable to make a rez...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While parador prices are, well, pricey, I got a good last minute price 2 days out from SdC via booking. Probably bc of the last minute aspect. It was an OK room, I enjoyed wandering around inside but I believe anyone can do that and I’m not discouraging it (I’m glad I did it once, won’t do it again). Heard bagpipes a LOT. Turn down service felt luxurious. Housekeeping accidentally destroyed my phone and not even a lo siento. Because I did some other routes (Finisterre/Muxia and Padron to SdC) I ended up staying three different times in SdC and the other nights I spent at the AC palacio del Carmen. They held my luggage until I returned from Muxia and had it waiting in my room when I checked in. Sent up a welcome back note with a torte de Santiago while I was unpacking. Had a view (distant) of cathedral. Of course both experiences can vary by luck and staff on duty. Pictures of the parador room turned down (not a fancy room, standard hotel bathroom), and the view from my sitting room at the palacio del Carmen
so if the parador doesn’t work out I’d try the AC palacio del Carmen

edit: while the AC says it’s a converted old convent —and I accept that—it doesn’t have a lot about it that screams “old convent” except the dining room IMO

Attachments

• 96BBF82D-3542-4EA4-A406-3623500DE29A.jpeg
    96BBF82D-3542-4EA4-A406-3623500DE29A.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 71
  • EE1027A6-F1E2-4D16-B6E3-26AE074986EF.jpeg
    EE1027A6-F1E2-4D16-B6E3-26AE074986EF.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 8C95ECB1-6D97-4DF7-8DD6-D61845CC537D.jpeg
    8C95ECB1-6D97-4DF7-8DD6-D61845CC537D.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hey! Does anyone know if the Parador in Santiago is closed in October? I wanted to treat a friend but seem unable to make a rez...
if you’re on an iPhone you may need to select “web version”

While parador prices are, well, pricey, I got a good last minute price 2 days out from SdC via booking. Probably bc of the last minute aspect. It was an OK room, I enjoyed wandering around inside but I believe anyone can do that and I’m not discouraging it (I’m glad I did it once, won’t do it again). Heard bagpipes a LOT. Turn down service felt luxurious. Housekeeping accidentally destroyed my phone and not even a lo siento. Because I did some other routes (Finisterre/Muxia and Padron to SdC) I ended up staying three different times in SdC and the other nights I spent at the AC palacio del Carmen. They held my luggage until I returned from Muxia and had it waiting in my room when I checked in. Sent up a welcome back note with a torte de Santiago while I was unpacking. Had a view (distant) of cathedral. Of course both experiences can vary by luck and staff on duty. Pictures of the parador room turned down (not a fancy room, standard hotel bathroom), and the view from my sitting room at the palacio del Carmen

edit: while the AC says it’s a converted old convent —and I accept that—it doesn’t have a lot about it that screams “old convent” except the dining room IMO
thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There appears to be reasonable availability throughout October. https://www.parador.es/en Rates are rather stiff, a Pilgrim discount seems unlikely but if you are over 55 it will be worth registering and seeking the Jubilado discount.
thank you- I found the rate now but earlier in the day it was saying NA when I put in the date- maybe I was doing something wrong.... Yes, that's about $1750 for two nights. Not going to do that :~)

thank you- I found the rate now but earlier in the day it was saying NA when I put in the date- maybe I was doing something wrong.... Yes, that's about $1750 for two nights. Not going to do that :~)
If they’re going on to Finisterre or Muxia, perhaps get them a room there (I loved where I stayed in Muxia), and let them try the last minute booking via booking.com thing. It didn’t work for a parador in Leon trying two days ahead, but did for SdC trying 2 or 3 days ahead. I don’t recall the price but I wouldn’t have paid more than $300 for two nights—and probably would recall if I’d paid $300– I will say the room wasn’t a deluxe one. It was smaller than they show, and VERY near the bagpipes

If you were using "translate" then often the date functions don't work and you will get a NA response.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am hoping to stay in the parador in Zamora, if I can afford it. I have heard that it is wonderfully ancient in style: suits of armour standing around in the hallways, etc. I have seen the outside while walking past on my previous camino on the VdlP. I plan on walking in the front door when I arrive there from the Levante and asking them if they have a room for a pilgrim.

I am hoping to stay in the parador in Zamora, if I can afford it. I have heard that it is wonderfully ancient in style: suits of armour standing around in the hallways, etc. I have seen the outside while walking past on my previous camino on the VdlP. I plan on walking in the front door when I arrive there from the Levante and asking them if they have a room for a pilgrim.
FWIW, I just put Zamora into booking.com for a random day in Sep and it quoted $152 per night, $172 w/breakfast. Not sure when you’re going but if it’s not a popular time I’d try a few days before arrival when hotels tend to drop their rates on empty rooms. Sad pilgrim eyes coupled with pleasant pilgrim smile may work (many non parador hotels seemed extra nice to pilgrims). In my one experience in SdC I was just another guest and not a particularly welcome one—YMMV but I got the impression pilgrim business wasn’t needed and not necessarily appreciated…

edit: as I closed the booking window they dropped the price to $147.

FWIW, I just put Zamora into booking.com for a random day in Sep and it quoted $152 per night, $172 w/breakfast. Not sure when you’re going but if it’s not a popular time I’d try a few days before arrival when hotels tend to drop their rates on empty rooms. Sad pilgrim eyes coupled with pleasant pilgrim smile may work (many non parador hotels seemed extra nice to pilgrims). In my one experience in SdC I was just another guest and not a particularly welcome one—YMMV but I got the impression pilgrim business wasn’t needed and not necessarily appreciated…

edit: as I closed the booking window they dropped the price to $147.
I would definitely call them to see if there is a Pilgrim's rate. I stayed at the Parador in Vilalba and got a special pilgrims deal.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For some unknown reason the Parador at Zamora does not seem to offer much in the way of discounts for Golden Years, Five Day card and Pilgrim rates. I may have just been unlucky but after 30 plus years of using the Paradors in Spain and Portugal I have never managed to hit Zamora with a discount. I did manage to get the Pilgrim Discount at the SDC Parador at Short notice, when I arrived in Santiago and discovered my Booking.Com reservation had not been received by the Hotel due to a FAX error!! (FAX in the 21st Century)

For some unknown reason the Parador at Zamora does not seem to offer much in the way of discounts for Golden Years, Five Day card and Pilgrim rates. I may have just been unlucky but after 30 plus years of using the Paradors in Spain and Portugal I have never managed to hit Zamora with a discount. I did manage to get the Pilgrim Discount at the SDC Parador at Short notice, when I arrived in Santiago and discovered my Booking.Com reservation had not been received by the Hotel due to a FAX error!! (FAX in the 21st Century)
Made myself a liar. I just checked Zamora and much to my surprise the pilgrim Rate and Golden Days rate was available. However this is for a June 2022 booking! However the rate for a Pilgrim in 2022 was !7 Euros cheaper than an October 2021 test booking.
BTW Pilgrim and Golden Years rate include Breakfast which can be pricey in Paradors.

There appears to be reasonable availability throughout October. https://www.parador.es/en Rates are rather stiff, a Pilgrim discount seems unlikely but if you are over 55 it will be worth registering and seeking the Jubilado discount.
I have a quick question for you. Is it possible to get a discount card quickly in Spain if you are not a resident or citizen. There have been times at museums in Madrid when I show my Mexican Permanent Residence Card and my passport I can get the senior discount. What is the story in Spain and where can you get discounts?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is it possible to get a discount card quickly in Spain if you are not a resident or citizen.
What discount card are you referring to? For the paradores, you can sign up and get an account and then will have access to “member rates” and old people rates. As a member, you also get a free drink in the bar once you arrive. Just house wine, water, or beer, but frequently these are in very nice places like cloisters or terraces and it’s a great way to sit and relax after walking. You also get free parking, but that’s not much of a pilgrim concern.

The other main discount card I am familiar with is the Tarjeta Dorada for trains. You have to get it in person at a Renfe office, it costs 5 ot 6 euros for a year. But once you have it, you are eligible for a lot of discounts on trains. I have even been able to use my card number from the US to get the senior rate when purchasing online tickets.

But aside from that, I’m not aware that there is any generalized senior discount card. Lots of the senior discounts, in my experience, are limited to EU residents. But many are not, and I often have been able to use my passport to establish my senior elegibility. The most recent example that comes to mind was in Mérida where I got a ridiculously low price for a bracelet that let me in to a big number of important Roman and Visigothic sites.

It warmed my heart to read how kind AC was to you! Angels are everywhere.😇

I have a quick question for you. Is it possible to get a discount card quickly in Spain if you are not a resident or citizen. There have been times at museums in Madrid when I show my Mexican Permanent Residence Card and my passport I can get the senior discount. What is the story in Spain and where can you get discounts?
You can sign up right here:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It warmed my heart to read how kind AC was to you! Angels are everywhere.😇
believe it or not a hotel tops them in service: Mendes Nunez in Lugo. I arrived a day early, dusty & exhausted due to an unplanned walk from A Fonsagrada. They cheerfully checked me in. The next am I asked in my terrible Spanish how to replace my phone (damaged enroute) with one that would accept the same SIM card bc I had a lot of minutes I’d just loaded in Fonsagrada, and all my phone #s. The front desk manager sent a young desk clerk (in high heels) to run after me and accompany me to the store she’s suggested, suspecting no one would understand me. We went to two stores without luck. Returning to the hotel the manager wrote out bus directions from a mall, called the store to explain I was arriving and what I’d need, called a cab and gave them directions (I assured her I’d walk—she thought too far…ha—or take the bus back). She made me promise to call if I wanted a cab back and she’d send a cab for me.
God and Spaniards look out for hapless pilgrims

I am not aware of a discount card in Spain other than the Tarjeta Dorada @peregrina2000 mentioned… I just show my passport if there is a ‘senior discount’. In Burgos, the entry to the Museo de la evolución humana’ was free. Yay! 😁 I also get a discount at the hairdressers… 😳

@lt56ny
I bought a Tarjeta Dorada at Madrid Airport before my first camino and never used it. Alsa buses that picked me up and dropped me off at the airport seemed to work best for me. But if you need to book a long-distance or high-speed train, you might get a decent discount. I regretted not having the discount card when I took the train from Madrid to Seville, before walkiing the VdlP.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@lt56ny
I bought a Tarjeta Dorada at Madrid Airport before my first camino and never used it. Alsa buses that picked me up and dropped me off at the airport seemed to work best for me. But if you need to book a long-distance or high-speed train, you might get a decent discount. I regretted not having the discount card when I took the train from Madrid to Seville, before walkiing the VdlP.
Thanks so much. I will be walking the VDLP in October and will check if can get a card in Sevilla.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What discount card are you referring to? For the paradores, you can sign up and get an account and then will have access to “member rates” and old people rates. As a member, you also get a free drink in the bar once you arrive. Just house wine, water, or beer, but frequently these are in very nice places like cloisters or terraces and it’s a great way to sit and relax after walking. You also get free parking, but that’s not much of a pilgrim concern.

The other main discount card I am familiar with is the Tarjeta Dorada for trains. You have to get it in person at a Renfe office, it costs 5 ot 6 euros for a year. But once you have it, you are eligible for a lot of discounts on trains. I have even been able to use my card number from the US to get the senior rate when purchasing online tickets.

But aside from that, I’m not aware that there is any generalized senior discount card. Lots of the senior discounts, in my experience, are limited to EU residents. But many are not, and I often have been able to use my passport to establish my senior elegibility. The most recent example that comes to mind was in Mérida where I got a ridiculously low price for a bracelet that let me in to a big number of important Roman and Visigothic sites.
Thanks, unfortunately The Parador is a little out of my price range to say the least although I was treated to a fantastic dinner at the Santiago Parador in 2018. I will try to get the Tarjeta Dorado in Sevilla. I mentioned my American Passport and my Mexican Permanent Resudence Card got me into some museums in Madrid as the sign said if you were a senior and from a Spanish speaking country you were eligible for a discount. Probably will take the train back from Santiago to Sevilla when u return home in December.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am not aware of a discount card in Spain other than the Tarjeta Dorada @peregrina2000 mentioned… I just show my passport if there is a ‘senior discount’. In Burgos, the entry to the Museo de la evolución humana’ was free. Yay! 😁 I also get a discount at the hairdressers… 😳
Just had to get this in - with regards to the hairdressers .... I bet they thought they could not let you out on the streets with that hair!!! but a discount is just fine with me especially one at the hairdressers after 5 weeks on the road!!!! I got a fab discount at the Prada in Madrid because they asked me if I was a peregrina - did I look that bad!!!!!

Just had to get this in - with regards to the hairdressers .... I bet they thought they could not let you out on the streets with that hair!!! but a discount is just fine with me especially one at the hairdressers after 5 weeks on the road!!!! I got a fab discount at the Prada in Madrid because they asked me if I was a peregrina - did I look that bad!!!!!
And you don’t know the half of it! They usually ask if I want make-up as well
or at least… nail care 😳😂

And you don’t know the half of it! They usually ask if I want make-up as well
or at least… nail care 😳😂
I had my hair cut short (well for me, about shoulder length) before I left, and for three months trimmed my own bangs with children’s scissors I bought at the papereria in Bilbao. Funny, I never had to tell someone I was a pilgrim 🙄 and when I returned home my hairdresser just shook her head and laughed as she tried to fix things.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had my hair cut short (well for me, about shoulder length) before I left, and for three months trimmed my own bangs with children’s scissors I bought at the papereria in Bilbao. Funny, I never had to tell someone I was a pilgrim 🙄 and when I returned home my hairdresser just shook her head and laughed as she tried to fix things.
I get a number 2 before I leave and seems to last for the trip.

I get a number 2 before I leave and seems to last for the trip.
When deployed, until the dust settles enough for TCN barbers to set up shop, invariably some guy announced he’d learned how to cut hair and would set up shop. Each time I’d show up looking hopeful and saying I’m fine with mistakes all he has to do is try to cut my bangs. The answer was always a firm but respectful no. Once I suggested he just cut my hair in a guy’s cut. Color drained from his face.

Parador de Santiago Hostal Reyes Católicos is very nice. But is quite expensive too. Close to Parador there is the Hospederia San Martín Pinario, which is very nice and confortable. And rates are more reasonables. A good option is stay at San Martín Pinario, and at the next day enjoy your breakfast or dinner at the Parador terrace. Fantastic!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can get a Tarjeta Dorada at any railway station that has a ticket office / customer service / enquiries desk.
Our Spanish Camino Angel offered to help us buy Tarjeta Dorada from Logrono 6euro each and it lasts a year!

I see my post #10, about staying in the Parador in Zamora, which I had planned for last year. As it happened, I did not stay there. When I arrived in Zamora the day before, I was drawn into the pilgrim albergue, which was close to where I entered the city. The next day, I had considered the time which I had left for my pilgrimage, and decided that I could not afford the time for a second day in Zamora. I still love the city, and shall go back some day, to spend some days seeing the city's churches and begin another pilgrimage from there. But I might not bother to splurge on the Parador.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.