• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paramo jackets?

Alasdair Kay

Time of past OR future Camino
"May 2016 "
Hi .... I am planning on walking my second Camino next year in May and if Portugal is like Galicia when I walked the Frances I used my Goretex rain jacket a lot, (three solid days of mist and rain). However fellow British walkers have told me that by using a Paramor jacket I can eliminate the need to carry a fleece and a Gore Tex jacket..... Do any of you have any advice on Paramor what do you think of them and will it result in a lighter more polyuse jacket for walking in?

Ultreia

Fr Alasdair

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There's really no reason to have high tech clothing on the Camino.
People have worn just the clothes from their closets and drawers for centuries.
If you have the money laying around and want to spend it, go for the Paramo.
Otherwise, what you have will work fine, plus layering is the smartest option on the Camino, imo.
The weather changes from area to area and from day to day.

I bought a Paramo shell thinking it might be an alternative to Goretex. Quite expensive. It was warm and windproof but I still got very wet in Irish mountain conditions, partly sweating but in driving rain, what can you expect. It did dry out quickly...afterwards.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi .... I am planning on walking my second Camino next year in May and if Portugal is like Galicia when I walked the Frances I used my Goretex rain jacket a lot, (three solid days of mist and rain). However fellow British walkers have told me that by using a Paramor jacket I can eliminate the need to carry a fleece and a Gore Tex jacket..... Do any of you have any advice on Paramor what do you think of them and will it result in a lighter more polyuse jacket for walking in?

Ultreia

Fr Alasdair
I'm a Paramo jacket fan, particularly of their breathability and the fact they can be reproofed and repaired, so last for ages. They can be very comfortable in changing weather conditions but I still prefer the flexibility of a light fleece and thin shell jacket if walking with a pack in the summer- I get too warm in the Paramo.
Have a great Camino, Portugal in May is lovely.

by using a Paramor jacket I can eliminate the need to carry a fleece and a Gore Tex jacket
Paramo is a brand name, and they make a variety of jackets of different materials. They look like good jackets. There are many good brands; some use Goretex fabric and some use other excellent waterproof fabrics.

I recommend a good light weight rain shell. Then you should have several other light layers of merino wool, fleece or synthetic that can be mixed and matched underneath the jacket or separately. With all the layers on, you should be protected from the coldest weather. Versatility and quick drying are the most important features of your wardrobe. For that reason, a single jacket that is as warm as "a fleece and a Gore Tex" would not be ideal, as it would often be too warm.

Good evening Father

Paramo certainly make very good jackets. Most of the Mountain Rescue
teams in the Lake District use them and not just because they get a
discount. I've had a Paramo jacket for years and it performs very well.
However, they are heavy. Very heavy. They're also bulky, and expensive.
I wouldn't want to be carrying one for day after day.

You'll get far more flexibility from a light weight outer hard shell coupled
with a warmer middle layer. As Robert above has said, Arcteryx make very
good 3 layer Gortex jackets. But they're eye-wateringly expensive, unless you
can pick one up in the sales.

I've tried all sorts of jackets over the years. I don't think anything performs as well
as Gortex. By right, buy once would be advice I wished I'd followed

Pax et bonum

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a Paramo jacket and it's absolutely brilliant, keeps me warm and dry and has never let me down. I also have matching Paramo trousers and they're a brilliant combination for typical British cold/wet conditions or for watching rugby. But, NO, I wouldn't want to carry them in a long distance walk; in the right conditions they're perfect but wouldn't give you the versatility you'll need. You should look at a waterproof/breathable shell such as Goretex (other fabrics are available) with suitable insulated midlayers. Good Luck.

Good evening Father

Paramo certainly make very good jackets. Most of the Mountain Rescue
teams in the Lake District use them and not just because they get a
discount. I've had a Paramo jacket for years and it performs very well.
However, they are heavy. Very heavy. They're also bulky, and expensive.
I wouldn't want to be carrying one for day after day.

You'll get far more flexibility from a light weight outer hard shell coupled
with a warmer middle layer. As Robert above has said, Arcteryx make very
good 3 layer Gortex jackets. But they're eye-wateringly expensive, unless you
can pick one up in the sales.

I've tried all sorts of jackets over the years. I don't think anything performs as well
as Gortex. By right, buy once would be advice I wished I'd followed

Pax et bonum
Thank you Inroibo ... helpful and money saving advice.. by the way are you a fellow Franciscan ?

I swear by Paramo. It keeps me warm, dry and is incredibly comfortable. BUT.... It is designed as part of a layering system and works best with other Paramo gear.

I've ended up purchasing Paramo base layers, fleeces, jackets, trousers, and loads of Nikwax to reproof the outer layers. This isn't a criticism... I totally love it, especially now I've enough gear for all eventualities.

A Paramo outer jacket worn in isolation will not be as effective and Paramo even say that their outer jackets should be worn with their fleeces for ultimate weatherproofing (the Paramo Alta layered jackets will be way too warm btw).

In May, you may find the combination too warm. I did in September and was envious of my friend who had a good quality long poncho that covered his pack as well. He still got wet, but at least wasn't sweating, unlike me, with all layers zipped up on a warm day. Next time...!!

Buen Camino!! Pete

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Inroibo ... helpful and money saving advice.. by the way are you a fellow Franciscan ?
Sadly no, but it's nice alternative to Buen Camino and I've been reading a lot about
he way of St Francis recently. I'd hoped to walk to Rome from Assisi earlier in the
year but it didn't work out.

As an owner of 3 Paramo jackets and walker on the Camino Frances I would highly recommend them over Goretex. They keep you dry from the outside and the inside. The rainproofing is easy and cheap to maintain.

Some of them are heavy but they also do lighter jackets such as the Quito. I would personally recommend this. It might not be particularly light at 500 grams but can be warn instead of a fleece. Paired with over trousers I think is a very good choice. But it is not cheap at £200. I always buy mine from ebay and you can get a substantial discount.

Excellent comments have already been made. Páramo is expensive and good. Even if bought on eBay their products are guaranteed for life. Reproofing them is easy in a washing machine. They are also made ethically which would please St. Francis. They do now make lighter jackets but mine is very old ( still good!) and heavy so I have always used a poncho on pilgrimage to avoid weight.
Maricristina

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm planning a winter Feb/Mar camino and considering the Paramo Cascada II waterproof trousers https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-...8769C33A,3C55CF81-7257-419A-B9DA-000032E7923D as an option. The weight is 478g. I'm expecting winter temps from 0-18 deg C but with the potential for snow in some places. And given that it always rains in Galicia... I don't mind pricey provided I can get the wear out of them and they do what they are expected to do. What I don't want is expensive and poor function.
Thoughts?

As I said above, I use Paramo as one of my mountain walking options. I have trousers also but my problem is still sweating. They work well as a warm and dry layer but if it is serious wind and rain, I prefer conventional 'plastic' over-trousers - I have a very cheap pair that roll up into a bag that is formed by one of the pockets! The Paramos are easy to put on quickly and they dry quickly...afterwards. You also need to wash them in Nikwax to maintain the wicking ability. Note the weight - you can do better lighter.

Hi Donna, I'm a Paramo fan and wear either the Alta or padded jackets pretty much everyday in the Winter. Very little matches Paramo for breathability in my opinion, so they are generally very comfortable.

As for overtrousers, my personal choice is for non Paramo ones. which can be carried on warmer dry days or worn with layers underneath when it's cold. I've found E Vent with long leg zips the best combination : lightweight, well ventilated and very waterproof.

It will probably work out fine whatever option you choose. Enjoy your Winter Camino.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Donna, I've Cascada trousers and find them absolutely brilliant, they are breathable, plenty of movement, warm and weather proof. In fact, I bought a second pair because they're so excellent.... Perfect for English winter walking and my original pair lasted 10 years!

... The two possible minor downsides are a) in temperatures above, say, 10c, you may find them too warm and b) they don't pack small. That said, if it's cold, windy and wet, your lower body will feel warm, dry and comfortable and for me, that way more than compensates for being too warm or a little bulk!

Hope this helps.... and 'Buen Camio'.

Pete

Interesting thread. I've seen Paramo gear in TK Maxx from time to time and wondered if it was any good! Now I'll definitely give it a second look, especially if it's in the clearance section :)

That's really useful. I'm not worried about bulk as I'm getting a bigger pack anyway so that will take extra volume. I'm thinking a pair of the Cascada trousers as they are waterproof, some thermal compression leggings, my compression shorts and calf sleeves with a hiking skirt which would cover a lot of options. I also have a poncho for extra waterproofing. I've got the top half pretty much sorted and if all else fails there are Decathlons in Alicante, Abacete, Toledo, Avila...
I am acclimatised to the tropics so anything under 16 degrees is considered bloody cold and worthy of winter woolies. I may have grown up in southern NZ but I suspect it will take me a week to adjust to those winter type conditions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.