• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

paring down my weight- making the wrong choice?

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I am leaving in 2 weeks for the September/October CF

no I will never be a 5 kg packed gal but I am getting ruthless with my pack weight, wondering if I'll regret taiing stuff out- yeah i am thinking i can always buy on the Way but really after all these purchaes I DON'T need duplicates)
y'all saw my pack list previously and the two areas I am playing with now involve pants and tops

I had 2 SL merino T's, (total 210 gm)
1 LS merino T (140 gm)
full zip light weight fleece, (266gm)
light weight LS shirt (155gm)
and my rain jacket (156gm)
I am planning to leave the LS merino T at home and utilize the zip fleece in layers- I hike hot and need to ventilate so kept jacket over the pullover Long sleeve T- BUT it looks like everyone's list includes a long sleeve T though.

The other decision I'm still wrestling with: my pants
Zip off REI (311gm)
yoga loose long pants ((164gm)
capri leggings (195gm)
rain pants (220gm)
the zip off is a given for short and long
The yoga pants are usable for hiking, town and even sleeping- i can get them on under the zip off's if another layer is needed. and they are probably more appropriate for churches and museums
The knit capri are VERY comfortable, love the feel hiking, also use-able for sleeping or to act like long johns, but maybe not as socially appropriate in churches etc
CAN I GET BY WITH 2 pairs of pants?

i guess another alternative is to go back to 2 REI zip offs
thoughts?
thanks again
nanc

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am hiking with the same as you except the rain pants. I leave in 3 weeks time.

Nanc:
I would say take either the yoga pants or the capris and wear whichever you take as long underwear in cold weather, as pajamas and as casual pants around the albergue. I only used one pair of pants for walking last fall and a skirt for town use, but I could walk in it. Unless your capris are see through, don't worry too much about socially appropriate, as you are on camino and the dress code is very flexible. Do you have long socks to keep you warm below the capris? As for the rain pants, they are part of your rain gear and must be considered as such. What do you have for rain gear and are the pants an essential part of it? Decide what you need for rain gear. You will be fine.
Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you have a long sleeve merino and a long sleeve shirt, do you really need a fleece to wear under a rain jacket? I have a closet full of clothes appropriate for every type of weather, but when I walk the Camino, I leave all "single use" items! You are right about layering; it does work and keeps the weight down. I would suggest the two lightest pants, and I even leave one set of pant legs at home when I take convertible pants. Rain pants are very inconvenient in stop-and-start rain. They are hot. You may have to take off your boots to get into and out of them, and that requires sitting on wet ground (often). They keep your legs dry, sure, but then legs dry very quickly anyway! September and October are not the rainy season, so I doubt you will encounter drenching rain when rain pants might be more useful. Buen camino!

Here is my two cents worth, lol, I am taking a zip pair of pants, one pair of short and one pair of legging, used for "evening" ware, sleeping or in cold weather, which I did not need in Sept/Oct, 2 yrs ago, but this year?? I walked with leggings once, but missed not having pockets to keep info and a few €s for snacks. Likewise I am trying to shave off 2 to 3 lbs from my pack and having a hard time, lol...
Buen Camino!

You know it is impossible to work out the weather as it varies so much. Joan and I walked in temperatures as high as 34 and as low as 12 degrees. Fortunately we had included a small pack that folded into its own pocket, this we sent on daily with any surplus kit. This meant on the Meseta it was crammed full but a few days later when temperatures plummeted we had the right gear.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everyone has given great advice so far, I just want to praise your concern for appropriate dress in churches. Yes, we are pilgrims...hmmm, pilgrims...but that does excuse dodging dress codes in a place of worship. Restaurants, museums, and hotels might look the other way --recognizing our clothing and carry choices--but if you wouldn't wear the capris to your home parish definitely don't wear it to an active church in Spain. You don't have to dress up, the zip off pants (in pants not shorts mode) are usually loose fitting so probably most appropriate....and can return to shorts mode once you leave the church.

As for rain pants or not, it depends on how wet and cold your walk will be...mine were ultra light weight and necessary since it rained or snowed all the way for me. If it were warmer or dryer I'd not take them. I took two pairs of light weight pants and two shirts and a vest.

Thanks all. I know its personal opinion. And as a member of Northwest USA, I know what it is like to try and predict weather. On a September honeymoon hike, we had 80 degree F sun, hail, rain and even snow , all in the month of September.
The rain pants are quite light and act as another layer for warmth and have zips on ankles so removal of shoes is not required.
I too feel the need to treat establishments with respect and that includes dress if possible. We know the Christian heart will accept all comers but if I DON'T have to enter grungie, I don't think I should..

Weather is indicated as lows of 40's (4-5 C) and high of 60's (15 C ) in Galacia in October. That suggests warnth could be more important toward the end of my camino

I am afraid I am too vain to wear zip-off trousers. They remind me of when clowns have a hoop in their shorts. Every time I go in an outdoors shop, someone tries to sell me the confounded things.

My experience of hiking in Sept/Oct in Galicia is that it's pretty dry, but there is a definite nip in the air some mornings.

I personally take
3 hiking (i.e. running) tops, one of which is thicker, high collared and long sleeved but couldn't be called a fleece.
2 hiking trousers (must dry really quickly to get away with 2)
A pair of black long thermal underpants and a matching vest top for 'in extremis' layering, sleeping, albergue lounging and while I wash other things.
A nice top to wear out in the afternoons and evenings. By nice I mean flowery and feminine. Because I crave that so bad after a while!

As you have a waterproof jacket, not a poncho, if the weather gets bad (either wet, or windy and cold) that will provide a lot of warmth, assuming it is breathable and if you team it with the long sleeve top and a couple of layers underneath. So probably the fleece could be left behind. If this worries you, pack thin fleece gloves and a hat.

As for churches, grunge is totally fine. You are a pilgrim, grunge goes with the territory. You just don't want too tight or revealing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leaving on Aug 24 and pack weights 11 kilos. Walked it in 2014 and added to pack along the way by buying junk. Also after the Cross of Iron, you will find great rocks as you walk down hill to put in pack for added weight---about that time you will be so used to your pack it will feel like it is full of feathers.

Wait until you see what the Koreans carry!!! Pots, pans, plastic food containers; condiments, .....and earmuffs! Lot of them cook meals and then carry lunches for next day.

If you have a long sleeve merino and a long sleeve shirt, do you really need a fleece to wear under a rain jacket? I have a closet full of clothes appropriate for every type of weather, but when I walk the Camino, I leave all "single use" items! You are right about layering; it does work and keeps the weight down. I would suggest the two lightest pants, and I even leave one set of pant legs at home when I take convertible pants. Rain pants are very inconvenient in stop-and-start rain. They are hot. You may have to take off your boots to get into and out of them, and that requires sitting on wet ground (often). They keep your legs dry, sure, but then legs dry very quickly anyway! September and October are not the rainy season, so I doubt you will encounter drenching rain when rain pants might be more useful. Buen camino!

I agree with Falcon, having walked a few caminos now, re the two pairs of light pants. One for walking and one for changing into, better ones for towns. Mine are black quick drying, not zip off. The rain pants make walking in rain less yucky and also can function to keep you warm if you hit a cold snap. Our packs are usually about 10 kgs, but some of that is the first aid kit, which is more often than not used for poor pilgrims who didn't pack light.

no I will never be a 5 kg packed gal but I am getting ruthless with my pack weight, wondering if I'll regret taiing stuff out- yeah i am thinking i can always buy on the Way but really after all these purchaes I DON'T need duplicates)
y'all saw my pack list previously and the two areas I am playing with now involve pants and tops

1 LS merino T (140 gm)
I am planning to leave the LS merino T at home and utilize the zip fleece in layers- I hike hot and need to ventilate so kept jacket over the pullover Long sleeve T- BUT it looks like everyone's list includes a long sleeve T though.

Zip off REI (311gm)
capri leggings (195gm)
rain pants (220gm)
The yoga pants are usable for hiking, town and even sleeping- i can get them on under the zip off's if another layer is needed. and they are probably more appropriate for churches and museums
The knit capri are VERY comfortable, love the feel hiking, also use-able for sleeping or to act like long johns, but maybe not as socially appropriate in churches etc

thoughts?
thanks again
nanc
I am walking through a similar time. My list looks similar to yours. I am not sure about changing my rucksack which weighs 1.4 kg or whether to take walking sandals with closed toes as well as my walking shoes - another half Kg. any thoughts? Thanks

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am not sure about changing my rucksack which weighs 1.4 kg
That is not the lightest of packs, but do you want to spend hundreds just to drop a few hundred grams?
whether to take walking sandals with closed toes
Using the principal of having a dual use for every item (within reason), a second pair of footwear may have to serve as walking wear. If you could not walk in your boots/shoes, would you prefer closed toe sandals or zori? Zori are lighter and are great in the shower, but could you hike in them? If you question is about a third set of footwear, I would recommend choosing only two!

I went the same time as you and did not take rain pants. I would also leave the light LS shirt at home as I took one as well as the LS merino wool and only used the wool one. I also took flip flops and hiking sandals and wore them once and found they were unsupportive and my feet moved around too much in them. Next time, I will take one pair of zip-off pants, a pair of merino wool leggings and a pair of lululemon yoga pants for evenings.

I am currently on the Caminoso those decisions are moot. Thanks anyway

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

1 LS merino T (140 gm)

Zip off REI (311gm)
capri leggings (195gm)
rain pants (220gm)

thoughts?
thanks again
nanc
I had a Camino walker from last year go through my pack last night with a glass of wine!! And we pared it down to 7kg from 10kg!! I have two of tops long and short and 1x trou and 1x shorts and we argued over a rain jacket or lightweight poncho. Im taking both. It was a really worthwhile exercise. I will thank her many times.
I had to cut my new light towel in 1/2 and my sarong in 1/3rds . I leave behind my lightweight uniqlow jacket. Hope winter comes later!! All good. No hard decisions what to wear today?? Buen Camino

Everyone has given great advice so far, I just want to praise your concern for appropriate dress in churches. Yes, we are pilgrims...hmmm, pilgrims...but that does excuse dodging dress codes in a place of worship. Restaurants, museums, and hotels might look the other way --recognizing our clothing and carry choices--but if you wouldn't wear the capris to your home parish definitely don't wear it to an active church in Spain. You don't have to dress up, the zip off pants (in pants not shorts mode) are usually loose fitting so probably most appropriate....and can return to shorts mode once you leave the church.

As for rain pants or not, it depends on how wet and cold your walk will be...mine were ultra light weight and necessary since it rained or snowed all the way for me. If it were warmer or dryer I'd not take them. I took two pairs of light weight pants and two shirts and a vest.
Surely God loves you whatever you wear?! M

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.